PB & J

Nothing But Sucrose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Peanut butter and jelly was the perfect description of Kang Seulgi and Bae Joohyun.

 

Better together. 

 

No other couple matched the chemisty that the two girls shared together, for simply sitting next to each other sent sparks and crackles into the air. They complimented each other, balancing the other out in the most simplistic and beautiful ways. 

 

"You're the strawberry jam to my peanut butter sandwich!" A bright smile would radiate off of Seulgi's face whenever she said this to Joohyun. Joohyun loved when Seulgi said this one line, regardless of how many times the latter had said it and of how cheesy it was.

 

But Bae Joohyun was chic and cool. No squealing here. "Stop saying that everytime you eat a pb and j sandwich! You bring one everyday to lunch, Seulgi. It's starting to lose meaning." Irene feigned nonchalance while saying these words, but she was actually jumping around on the inside. 

 

"You will never lose meaning to me, Joohyun." Seulgi casually replied as she took a bite out of her sandwich. Sitting across from her girlfriend, Joohyun turned around and brought a hand to her face in an attempt to hide the wide smile that was involuntarily growing.

 

So imagine the shock Joohyun had when she noticed that Seulgi started packing peanut butter and nutella sandwiches for lunch.

 

The first time it happened, she didn't think much about it. People get cravings and Seulgi is simply an average bear who likes munching on different foods. So Joohyun carried on with her lunch and asked no questions upon the matter.

 

And then the next day, a peanut butter and nutella sandwich was once again gripped by Seulgi's hands. One day of change was fine, but wasn't two days in a row a bit excessive? At least, that's what Joohyun started thinking when she studied Seulgi happily chewing her food. But again, she decided to let it slide and to go on with her life.

 

Until day three came.

 

"What's that?" Joohyun glared at the two pieces of bread in Seulgi's hand.

 

"Hm? Ah, just a peanut butter and nutella sandwich! Want some?" Seulgi offered the sandwich to her girlfriend, bringing it closer to Joohyun's face.

 

"Tch. No thanks," Joohyun pushed Seulgi's hand aside. "What happened to peanut butter and strawberry jam?" An outsider would look at this scene and think Joohyun was asking because she was genuinely curious.

 

But that certainly was not the case here. If Joohyun had said that she didn't miss Seulgi's cheesy line about the wonders of strawberry jam and peanut butter, anyone in the cafeteria would've been able to call her out. "Oh um— "

 

"Seulgi!!" A loud voice sounded from behind Joohyun, making her groan.

 

"Wendy! Come sit here!" Joohyun groaned again when she saw Wendy stride towards Seulgi and plop right beside her girlfriend.

 

"Hey, Joohyun." Wendy greeted her before turning to Seulgi again, "Aha! Nutella and peanut butter do make the perfect combo! And you doubted my sense of taste." Wendy jeered at Seulgi in a playful manner.

 

Joohyun was watching this interaction on the side silently until it hit her. Nutella? The perfect combo? With peanut butter? And with strawberry jam left out of the equation?

 

"YOU!" Silence followed Joohyun's outburst, for she stood pointing a rigid finger directly at Wendy's face. 

 

"...m-me?" Wendy's facial expression was a mixture between shock, fear, and confusion. Beside her, Seulgi wore the same exact expression...as well as all the other students in the cafeteria.

 

Bae Joohyun losing her composure was completely unheard of. She was known as the quiet, well-kept, and very beautiful girl who's passion was doing the laundry, so all eyes were on her. 

 

Realizing that she was at the center of attention, every single fiber in Joohyun regretted her outburst and she wished to shrink away, yet she stood frozen with her finger extended. 

 

"...J-Joohyun? Babe?" Seulgi's voice was small and careful as she lightly grasped Joohyun's raised arm.

 

"Um uh...I just wanted to tell you that there's a bit of lipstick on your teeth! Yeah! Ok, well I have a make up quiz now, bye!" Joohyun raced out of there faster than the sprinters on the track team. She continued down the hallways, urgent to find a hiding place to wallow in.

 

In the cafeteria, the chatter resumed and the rest of the students continued their previous activities. On the other hand, Seulgi knew she had to go after her girlfriend. "Sorry about that, Wendy. I think the stress from finals week is getting to her. I'm gonna go check on her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter