Another Late Night

Nothing But Sucrose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun—hey i’m hungry

 

Seulgi glanced at her phone’s screen, reading the message before pausing the video she was currently watching. She hadn’t seen Joohyun in almost two weeks, which was quite a long time for the two girls.

 

She missed her.

 

They hadn’t been friends since childhood, like many of Seulgi’s close friends. She met Joohyun about two years ago. Seulgi was the shy, new employee at the smoothie store and Bae Joohyun was the quirky coworker who had to show her the ropes. And with every shift together, their friendship blossomed and grew as the days passed.

 

Joohyun was currently behind the counter, curled up in laughter as Seulgi stood frozen with the most priceless expression Joohyun had ever seen.

“I-I wanted to experiment”

In Seulgi’s hand was the blender container that was definitely overfilled. Her face was masked by a blend of orange, banana, and was that spinach in her hair? Joohyun laughed harder the closer she examined the clumsy girl.

“Where have you been all my life?” Joohyun’s melodious laughter filled the empty store and soon enough, Seulgi’s own laughter blended with Joohyun’s.

 

Nights like those were one of Seulgi’s favorites. After a late shift at work, Joohyun would often suggest going out to eat at the restaurant across the street that opened late. “Oh, I’m eating with Joohyun again. I’ll be home after these chicken wings and potato wedges! Goodnight, dad!” She hung up the call from her parents and continued teasing Joohyun about how much the small girl looked like a bunny.

 

Their friendship only grew as the days passed, spending time with each other even though they didn’t have work that day. Hangouts turned into planned sleepovers at Joohyun’s house, and those sleepovers gradually became spontaneous and casual.

 

“You spending the night?” Joohyun asked as they watched re-runs of their favorite k-drama.

Seulgi gave her an inquisitive look, “I don’t know. Am I?”

“Yup. You are.” Joohyun cheekily smiled and wrapped herself around Seulgi’s arm, snuggling closer to the taller girl.

That night, Seulgi’s parents didn’t bother asking where she was.

 

By the time they finished their last year of high school, they were the best of friends. Seulgi didn’t know she could be so close with someone until she met Joohyun. There once was a time, when Seulgi hadn’t been home in a week. She had spent it with Joohyun, who didn’t want to sleep alone while her parents were on vacation.

 

It was a week of waking up to the sight of Joohyun cuddled up into her, a week of watching the small girl cook for her, and simply just a week of Bae Joohyun. And Seulgi couldn’t ask for a better way to spend her summer days.

 

She was in love.

 

Once college started and they both quit their jobs at the smoothie store, it was more difficult to see each other. They went to different universities, and both had gotten new jobs at different places that they went to after classes. They both made new friends and were adjusting to the college life, both socially and academically.

 

Their schedules never matched up, but they always made time for each other.

 

Always.

 

“Let’s take a nap.” Joohyun slouched over the table and face-planted her organic chemistry notes.

It was currently 4 in the morning. They were studying for their exams in the library of a college that neither of them went to. The college was in the middle of their own universities, the midpoint between the two, so they decided to study there.

“No, you said you needed to pull an all-nighter to pass.” Seulgi smiled fondly at the girl in front of her, who was rubbing her eye like a small child. “I believe in you, Joohyun,” She reached across the table and patted Joohyun’s head before tucking the loose strands of hair behind the girl’s ear.

Joohyun grinned at her, nodding her head as she read through the text book once more.

 

Another text message shook Seulgi from her reverie and she took the phone in her hand.

Joohyun—hey i said i was hungry :s

 

If this had been any normal night, Seulgi would’ve responded with a “be at your house in 20.” But tonight was different. Seulgi was upset with the other girl, and at herself for being upset in the first place. So like the passive-aggressive person she was, she responded.

 

Seulgi—I just ate.

 

That was a lie because she hadn’t eaten since lunch with her coworkers. Seulgi had been in a bad mood ever since she scrolled through her snapchat stories feed last week.

 

Bored out of her mind, Seulgi clicked on everyone’s story, including Park Bogum’s cause why not?

“Hanging with my #1”, the caption read as it was a selfie of him and Joohyun at the movies.

 

The girl regretted viewing that snap story so much. Just thinking about it made her blood boil.Joohyun was allowed to have other friends. Seulgi had her own too, so she understood whenever Joohyun had plans with others. But, Bogum? The guy who’s been crushing on her best friend since the moment he laid his filthy eyes on her?

 

That was not ok.

 

And they were alone too! What, were they on a date? And Joohyun didn’t tell Seulgi about it?

 

Her anger morphed into sadness and betrayal because, weren’t they best friends? Joohyun never hid anything from Seulgi and vice versa. It had hurt a whole lot.

 

Ever since that night, Seulgi had been avoiding Joohyun with excuses of homework, work, and other people. At first, she had religiously avoided the girl and sometimes lied about what she was doing.

 

But then professors and life had to come along and give her a nice punch in the face, so she was actually busy with all the things she lied about. Classes were getting stressful and she barely ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter