Just You

Nothing But Sucrose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bae Joohyun was the school's sweetheart, who also happened to be the girl of everyone's dreams. She was kind, intelligent, and more than beautiful in the eyes of many. Raised in a quiet home, Joohyun took up the trait and didn't talk when it wasn't entirely necessary. But when she did speak, her voice was delicate and soft, warm and tender. That was the sole reason why everyone was all ears whenever she was about to speak, for they simply wanted to hear her angelic voice. And usually, they'd get what they wanted.

 

Usually.

 

Not this time.

 

Because this time, they got something entirely different and unfathomable.

 

"Yo homiez, wus hip in the hiz hap if ya know what i'm sayin?" Was what they got from Bae Joohyun when she swaggered into class that Monday morning. To say the least, the entire homeroom was stunned by the sudden change in her demeanor. The girl was wearing an oversized hoody and a snapback that was turned to the side. 

 

The whole class was again left aghast when the school's sweetheart started throwing a multitude of gang signs in every direction. "Word to mah peeps. Yo. Swag. Yeh." She continued as if she didn't see the horrified faces of those around her.

 

Park Sooyoung, the brunette's dutiful best friend, snapped out of her daze and hurriedly pulled Joohyun out of the classroom. "Why the hell are you trying to start a gang war in the middle of homeroom?! And what are you wearing?!"

 

"Naw dawg I'm hip and gucci." The shorter replied with some intricate hand signs.

 

"BAE JOOHYUN SNAP OUT OF IT!" Sooyoung was desperate at this point and started shaking the brunette's shoulders violently. "WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS?!" 

 

"Why is she like what?" The two girls turned to the voice and one of the two visibly stiffened upon the sight of the new arrival. 

 

"Seulgi, wus gucci in the coochie?" Before any of them could prepare for what Joohyun had just uttered, it was already too late. All three girls stood rooted in the hallway, all facial features and movements frozen.

 

Sooyoung wanted to dig herself a hole and hide in it until the seasons changed, all because of the incredible amount of second hand embarassment. She was dying inside for her friend when another moment of silence passed. She was about to say something and make up an excuse for Joohyun's...questionable greeting, but Seulgi beat her to it.

 

"I'm gucci! All parts of my body are gucci! Thanks for asking, Joohyun." There was a brief look of bewilderment that Sooyoung almost missed due to the fact that Seulgi was smiling so brightly at her best friend. Though brief, it was still there. And she was definitely going to talk to Joohyun about it.

 

"Oh you know it cuh. I'm not taking any L's today if yah know what I mean." The brunette brought up a hand to 'dap off' with Seulgi, though the exchange was no doubt awkward and clumsy. But regardless, Seulgi beamed and enthusiastically attempted to properly interact with Joohyun's tiny and delicate hand.

 

Sooyoung couldn't take the burning sight anymore and interrupted whatever the two girls were doing. It kind of looked like they were playing rock-paper-scissors and thumb war, while trying to shake and/or high five each other's hands. Simply an eyesore that needed to be stopped immediately. "Ah Joohyun come on already! You said you'd help me fix my makeup in the bathroom!" She pouted to add more effect when the attention shifted to her.

 

"Hm?" The brunette tilted her head in slight confusion and Sooyoung wanted to flick her for being so oblivious.

 

"Let's go!" Sooyoung tugged at the brunette's arm and whined a little bit before Seulgi finally caught on.

 

"Ah I should get to homeroom. Maybe I can talk Mr. Hong out of giving me a tardy slip if I'm not too late. See you in third period, Joohyun! Bye Sooyoung!" When Sooyong looked at the blonde's receding figure, she compared the scene to a puppy retreating with its tail between its legs. And when she glanced beside her at a Joohyun who was waving ardently, one word popped up in her head. 

 

Mess.

 

The taller girl dragged Joohyun into the nearest bathroom, not wanting to cause a disturbance in the early school hours. "Bae ing Joohyun, that was a mess!" Sooyoung rubbed her eye and let out a loud sigh when she saw Joohyun's puzzled expression.

 

"I'm not catchin you drift, fam."

 

"I swear to God, if you continue talking like a tame 21 savage knock off who lives in the suburbs, you won't have the vocal chords to speak ever again." There was fire brewing the taller girl's eyes and dark energy seemed to engulf the small bathroom. When Joohyun didn't utter a word in reply, a smirk graced her lips. "Thought so."

 

"Shut it, Sooyoung! Why did you have to drag me away when things were going so well back there?" The petite girl waved her arms frantically as she huffed a breath away.

 

On the other hand, Sooyoung did not try to hide the outright perplexion on her face. "Well? How was that going well?"

 

"Because Seulgi was finally talking to me!" 

 

There it was, all out in the open. The reason for Joohyun's change was because of Seulgi, the star basketball player who also happened to be the dance team's captain. If Bae Joohyun was the school's sweetheart, Kang Seulgi was the school's heartthrob. They were on opposite ends of the spectrum and never got the chance to interact, as their friend groups didn't mix and mingle.

 

But regardless, Joohyun found herself falling for the charming blonde who wore her hats backwards and her sweaters oversized, much like the outfit Joohyun was wearing now. From afar, Joohyun would pay attention to the girl's mannerisms, including the way she spoke and behave

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter