Inky Business

Nothing But Sucrose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So to find the antiderivative of the definite integral, you just..." Seulgi had her chin resting in the palm of her hand as she tuned out whatever the professor was rambling about. Math was not her strong suit and it never would be. The girl just needed to pass the class with a C or above and then she would never have to touch a grimy used calculus textbook ever again.

 

Seulgi's mind tried its best to come up with distractions that would help make the lecture more bearable, but it was hopeless. Her phone died earlier in the day from playing too many rounds of iPhone games with her friends, so it was dead weight. She sighed as she twirled the black pen around and around her fingers, moving faster with every whirl. 

 

"Ouch!"

 

To Seulgi's dismay, the pen flew out of her hand and collided directly with the girl sitting next to her. "Oh ." Seulgi exclaimed under her breath, feeling a shift in the atmosphere. She stared straight ahead, almost flinching when she felt the weight of hardened eyes on her. Seulgi swallowed thickly and felt fear creeping up .

 

"...Seulgi?" A soft, yet chilling voice called her name and Seulgi knew she wouldn't live another day.

 

"Y-Yes? Yes, Irene?" The blonde cursed herself for sounding so weak and afraid.

 

But that was exactly how she was feeling.

 

"I believe this is your pen?" 

 

Seulgi found it difficult to swallow as she slowly turned her head to Irene's side, eyes finally meeting hers. 

 

If it was anyone other than Irene, Seulgi would've burst out laughing and rolling on the ground in the middle of the class. Because when she turned her head expecting to see an angry Irene, she didn't think she'd see Irene like that. 

 

The older girl was clutching Seulgi's now broken pen in her fist, while her face was painted with dark blots and splashes of ink. She looked like a piece of abstract art and Seulgi tried her best to suppress the laugh that was tickling her chest. 

 

She failed.

 

Seulgi cupped her hands over to silence her snickers, but Irene's face contorting in confusion made the pen dance across the older girl's features and Seulgi couldn't contain her laughter anymore. The blonde was fully laughing, clapping, and pointing at the poor human canvas, which gained the attention of both the professor and the rest of their classmates.

 

After the professor released a little laugh of his own, he cleared his throat. "Miss Kang, Miss Bae, please pay attention to the lecture."

 

Irene, now red from embarrassment, gave a timid nod and stared down at her notes. On the other hand, Seulgi was catching her breath and replaying the scene over and over again.  As she wiped a tear from her eye, she happened to make eye contact with Irene's own pair.

 

.

 

Seulgi was definitely going to die today. 

 

.

 

At the dismissal of the professor, Seulgi packed her bags and muttered a quick goodbye to Irene as she rushed out of the room. Not today, nope I'm not dying today! Seulgi repeated to herself as she zoomed down the hallway, eventually finding a nice corner to hide behind. She poked her head from behind the wall and breathed deeply when Irene was nowhere to be seen.

 

That was close.

 

"Yo Seulgi!" The said girl jumped up in surprise when she felt a slap on her back. 

 

"Wendy! You scared the hell out of me! I thought you were Irene." Seulgi pulled the shorter girl in front of her, now using her friend as a human shield.

 

"What did you do this ti—Oh my God, Irene! H-her face!" Wendy's eyes widened as she saw an ink-blotted Irene making her way down the hallway with fire in her eyes. "I'M NOT GONNA GET DRAGGED INTO THIS, GOODBYE!" In an instant, the small girl was already at the end of the corridor.

 

"W-wait! Wendy! I thought we were friends!" Seulgi frantically hollered as she watched her friend grow smaller in the distance and exit the math building in a hurry. Seulgi didn't want to turn around and meet Irene face to face, so she cowered and prepared for her impending doom. Soon, the blonde felt a blanket of gloom and despair enveloping the perimeter. Please, please, please, plea—

 

"Seulgi." A chilling shiver ran through her body when she heard the voice that was intertwined with impatience, irritation, and whole lotta ang

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter