► Historical_Scenes

Polished Reviews [SHOP] [INDEFINITE HIATUS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
♦ Husband and Wife ♦

 

Let me first start with the foreword and description. I instantly love the graphics and your foreword. The poster really gives the vibes of those old movies back in the day. The description is very simple and clear. The interesting thing is that it is not just a normal arranged marriage but a ghost marriage, so I wonder where this will be going. This seems to be your first fanfiction on AFF but I’m already looking forward to reviewing this story.

 

Chapter 1

This first chapter truly lived up to my expectations. The description and poster intrigued me and the story itself proves itself. You write beautifully in the first perspective. Usually, I’m not a great fan from this perspective because it’s often incorrectly used. Those fictions and books end up with very one-sided stories and a mess of tenses.

Throughout this chapter, you have a good balance between descriptive paragraphs and moments of dialogue. I do feel a certain distance between me and the characters because of the perspective during the descriptive parts. In the dialogues, I can feel myself connect better with the characters.

I love the historical references and the overall feel of the story. Everything in this fic screams that you really did your research and you know what you write about. Sometimes, I was a bit confused because I was not familiar with these rituals. I contemplated several times if ghost marriage is a literal meaning or a symbolic meaning before I actually read that the husband was indeed dead.

The details are very clear most of the times and you are really concise in your writing. I did think that the introduction and death of Yi Gui was quite sudden and out there. I would have liked to read that a bit smoother but it feels only like a small hiccup. I didn’t really mind and continued to read.

I wonder if it’s on purpose but Guowei shouldn’t be Guo Wei like his father Qui Ru? I saw this with every other name so I started to wonder why not.

The time skip is quite nice I hadn’t expected to read the wedding day in the same chapter. But it’s a good way to really get into the real matter instead of lingering unnecessary long at the introduction. You end it with a real cliffhanger. I do wonder why you chose to jump to another perspective. Qui Ru’s last part was less than a few lines and I think you could have simply continued with Bei Yun’s perspective without losing the punch cliffhanger.

I was confused during this part:

Xiao Ping, who was fueled with curiosity. He paced himself from pillar to post across the room, unconsciously flashing his newly tailored western suit from an established shop.

“Although she is marrying our dead son, we will not mistreat her. Perhaps, we may even treat her better than you, Xiao Ping,” said my mother facetiously as she pointed at Xiao Ping, who had stopped moving like a child in distress, and gave off a warm smile. All of her smiles were always a motherly one, I couldn’t deny that.

 

From this paragraph, it sounds like Xiao Ping is the one who gives warm smiles even though you mean the mother in this paragraph. It confused me and it took me three times until I could smoothly read to the next paragraph.

Character wise, I really like how you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter