Concerning the Wilds

The Princess and The Dragon

Kris could feel the blood roaring in his ears as he sprang over Jang-mii, who was crawling backwards in an attempt to escape the massive dire wolf that had sprung from the bushes, its jaws wide as it prepared to devour her. The creature’s fangs only met steel, however, as Kris hastily planted his blade between him and the dripping white teeth as long as his forearm. Snarling, the wolf leaped backward and paced as it assessed the situation, its yellow eyes searching for any weakness in Kris’ form; the lone warrior stood firmly before the wolf and the princess, his blade poised to strike if the beast made any sudden movements. The wolf took an experimental swipe at him, yowling angrily as Kris cut deep into its paw.

“Begone, you beast!” Kris shouted angrily, but rather than frighten the monster, all he managed to do was anger it further. Howling, the dire wolf sprang at him, but Kris expertly sidestepped his attacker and sliced open the beast’s side. Its matted fur dripping with blood, the wolf rounded on him with claws extended, but with a huff Kris drove the point of his sword deep into the creature’s chest. Gritting his teeth as his feet slid backward in the forest floor, his body pushed back from the force of the beast’s momentum, his sword disappeared into the wolf’s chest up to the hilt. The wolf howled in agony, its claws scratching against Kris’s arms as it flailed about. With a last desperate cry, it fell still and slumped to the ground, dead. Kris pulled his sword from the dead body and wiped the blood off onto the grass, turning to the terrified princess. “Are you hurt, miss?” he asked, holding a hand out for her. He was shocked when she recoiled, and he glanced down at himself to find that he was a rather horrifying sight, covered in the beast’s blood.

“Are you sure that it is dead?” she asked quietly, her vision trained on the still corpse of the dire wolf. Kris smiled softly and slid his sword into its sheath, holding his hand out for her once more. His anxiety was all but forgotten as he stood in front of the tentative princess.

“I am sure. It cannot hurt you now,” he assured, and with a moment’s hesitation the princess took his hand and allowed him to pull her to her feet. She brushed the dirt off the back of her dress before primly folding her hands in front of her and bowing her head at him.

“I owe you my life. Thank you, kind sir, for saving me,” she thanked him regally, raising her head and smiling slightly at him.

“No need to thank me, princess,” Kris mused as he placed a hand on the right side of his chest and bowed in return. Jang-mii’s expression was overcome with shock, and she stepped forward.

“You know who I am?” she exclaimed.

“Of course. The beauty of our princess is quite well-known, even among the rough men of the wilds. I thought I had stumbled upon a goddess,” Kris mused, feeling quite satisfied when a blush rose to the girl’s cheeks. “Besides, news travels quickly. Even the far corners of the wilds had heard of your recent engagement and upcoming wedding.” He motioned to the girl’s tattered but recognizable bridal gown. “However, I must admit that finding you wandering the wilderness on your wedding day was a surprise. Tell me, princess, how did you end up out here? Did something happen?” he inquired. Of course, he knew the answer, but he did not want to seem suspicious. He doubted that news of Jang-mii’s abduction had reached the villages of the wilds quite yet.

“I was taken by a dragon!” she huffed, crossing her arms with anger at the mention of the beast. Kris was a little hurt at the reaction, but he tried not to let his inner feelings show as the princess continued to rant angrily. “Unprovoked, it attacked my kingdom and stole me from the altar! I cannot simply sit idly in the wilds! I have to return to my kingdom. I have duties as a princess.”

“Like marrying Prince Baekhyun,” Kris smirked with glittering eyes. The girl was caught off-guard by the remark, and she opened and shut a few times as she struggled to respond.

“Well, yes. That is one. What of it?” she responded hotly. Kris shrugged slightly, running his finger along the worn scabbard that contained his trusty blade.

“The affairs of the capital city are none of my business; however, the young princeling is not very well-liked out here in the wilds,” he answered honestly. “We don’t find him a very fit husband for our beloved princess,” he continued, glancing up at her with a blank expression. Jang-mii seemed unsure what to say to the remark, and she simply pursed her lips. Kris was sure that she had figured out what he was playing at, and she did not seem impressed by his game to keep her in the wilds.

“Regardless,” she stammered, regaining her composure. “I am sure that my people are worried about me, and so I must return home,” she huffed. “Thank you for your service, kind sir, but I must be going now. I have a long walk ahead of me.” With that curt reply, she lifted the hem of her dress and began stomping off into the bushes. Kris merely laughed, amused that the girl was so flustered, and followed along after her as she traversed the rough path.

“Princess, this is no palace garden. These are the wilds, filled with all manners of beasts and rough characters. The trees grow tall, and the bushes thick; there are a number of things out here that would kill you without mercy, whether it be beast or plant. Do you really suppose that you can make it on your own to the capital city?” he called after her, smirking as she struggled to walk through the forest. Her dress was continuously caught on brambles, forcing her to tug the fabric free with much effort. Low-growing branches scratched at her arms and began twisted in her hair. Her flat shoes scuffed along the ground, and her toes were constantly caught on small roots poking out of the earth. Still, she continued to march determinedly through the woods. Her bravery- or stubbornness- amazed Kris to no end.

“I do not know if I do not try,” she replied haughtily, crying out as she stumbled over a fallen log and landed face-first in a pile of decaying leaves. She sat up, spitting bits of leaf out of , and glared up at Kris as he easily hopped over the wooden log.

“You are going the wrong way,” he laughed, pointing to his left. “It matters not. The wilds are a vast place, and easy to get lost in. Only one who was born and bred in these woods knows them. I am sorry, princess, but you will not get very far on your own,” he chuckled, pulling her to her feet and brushing the dirt and leaves from her dress. Even in such a disgruntled state, she was still beautiful, and he could not help but gaze down at her.

“What are you suggesting- for you to be my guide?” she asked, raising her eyebrows at him as he continued to stare. She frowned when Kris laughed in response and sat down on the log, shaking his head at her.

“Go back to the dragon, princess,” he sighed, staring levelly at her. “That legendary beast is the guardian of these lands- he is known to all the inhabitants of the wilds, and nothing happens in these lands without him hearing of it. He has many informants.”

“I will not return to the dragon. He is rude,” she snorted. Ouch, Kris thought with a slightly sad look. He hastily planted a mildly shocked expression on his face, not ready for Jang-mii to see thought him. She suddenly cocked her head to the side, as if a brilliant thought had occurred to her. “You are a powerful warrior. You killed that wolf with ease. Why not slay him, and be rid of him? It would do us both a favor. Surely the dragon is causing problems for the wildsmen as well.” Kris frowned at her, shaking his head once more as he continued to expand his net of half-truths. Getting her to stay here is tougher than I thought, he muttered silently.

“There is a big difference between a dire wolf and a dragon. Its hide is tougher than the greatest armor. No blade, axe, or arrow can pierce it. Its claws are spears; its teeth are blades. Its wings bring powerful gales. No, I am afraid that not with a hundred men could you fell a dragon,” he explained, waving his hand as a dismissal to her request. “Besides, the dragon is not a bane to us. It keeps a watchful eye on the wilds, preventing greater dangers from straying into these lands. Never has it attacked a settlement without good reason, and for that, you will not find any man, woman, or child that will cross it.”

“It attacked my kingdom without provocation,” she mumbled. Kris stood with a small sigh. Wait until she finds out that was me, he thought. He walked over to her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

“Again, princess, I am sure that he had good reason. The fact that you are still alive is testament enough to that,” he noted. Jang-mii frowned, annoyed at the fact that he was right, and Kris was beginning to think that his elaborate lie was beginning to pay off. Most of what he had said was not false; the villagers of the wilds did deify him, and he had become a watchful guardian of the wilds during his time there. “He will keep you safe, under his care, and I am sure that in time his reasons will become clearer to you.” The princess seemed unimpressed with his answer, and stepped back to place her hand on her chin and ponder her current situation.

“I haven’t much choice in this, do I?” the princess sighed heavily after a moment’s silence, looking up at him with a frown.

“I am afraid not,” he nodded, holding an arm out to her. “I cannot guide you out of the wilds, but I suppose I can take you back to the dragon’s cave,” he offered. Jang-mii pursed her lips at him, looking over his rugged features with a mix of disdain and appreciation. She seemed to not know what to think of him, and Kris supposed that it was best to keep it that way, at least for the time being.

“Very well, then. Lead on,” she sighed, looping her arm around his own. He smiled softly, helping her over the fallen log and walking alongside her through the wilderness. They walked in silence for a long while, and Kris anxiously eyed the moon from between the thick treetop, watching as it crept along the sky. He probably did not have much time left. He jumped slightly when Jang-mii suddenly spoke. “Tell me- what were you doing wandering around at this late hour?” the princess inquired. “Surely you have a home, and a family to tend to.”

“Nothing of the sort, princess,” he answered levelly, avoiding her gaze as he stared out into the dark woods. “I live alone out here, wandering from one village to the next, doing as I please.”

“That sounds like a very lonely life,” she murmured sadly, glancing down at the ground.

“It is lonely,” he murmured back, but before the princess could say anything else they passed from underneath the edge of the trees, and the mountain cavern towered before them as the approached the rock face. “It is here that I must leave you, princess,” Kris sighed, stepping away from the girl and bowing to her once more. Jang-mii dropped into a curtsy, her gaze sweeping over the mysterious man she had met in the woods.

“If all men of the wilds are like you, then I suppose it is not such a bad place after all,” she smiled gently, blushing slightly as she regarded him. Kris smiled shyly and placed a hand on the hilt of his sword. “Will I see you again?” she asked with wide eyes, and the disguised prince felt his heart leap at the eagerness in the girl’s voice.

“Perhaps. I’m always coming and going,” he smiled softly, gently taking the princess’ hand and planting a kiss on it. She blushed further, much to his pleasure, and he dropped her hand to look into her eyes. “It’s been a pleasure, princess,” he murmured and began to turn his back to her. He gasped as she suddenly grabbed his arm.

“Wait! You cannot leave yet; I must at least know your name,” she insisted. Kris swallowed slightly, unprepared for such an outcome. Jang-mii noticed his discomfort and narrowed her eyes in confusion. “What is it? Do you not have a name?” she asked.

“No, I do… It’s just, it may be painful for you to hear it,” he answered, and Jang-mii only seemed more perplexed. “My name is Kris,” he forced out, and instantly the princess’ face contorted with agony. Her hand slid from his arm, and she turned her back to him.

“I see. Kris,” she whispered. When she turned back to him, she had put on a brave smile. “Thank you for your help today. I hope we do see each other again,” she murmured, bowing her head to him. She blinked as he reached out and took her hands.

“We will see each other again,” he promised. “Try not to annoy that dragon too much while I’m gone,” he mused quietly, placing a hand on her head. “I don’t want to return to find you eaten,” he chuckled. The princess smiled slightly, and as the familiar sensation began to burn within his body, he hastily stepped away, disappearing into the darkness of the trees. He walked far away from the cave, collapsing as the black spell wove around his body and forced him into his dragon state. When he raised his head, he was towering above the trees, and with his superior vision he could barely make out the princess disappearing into the cave.

When he finally wandered back inside he found her curled up in the giant straw bed, her hand closed around the silver locket and tear stains on her cheeks. He slowly walked over to her, not wishing to wake her with his earthshaking footsteps, and climbed into the straw beside her. He drew his reptilian tail around her, pulling her close to him as he settled into the nest for the night. Upon his movement, the princess stirred and blinked sleepily up at him.

“You’ve returned. You must have been out looking for me,” she murmured sleepily, her half-closed eyes staring tiredly into his own. “I suppose it was reckless for me to wander out on my own. Are you mad at me, dragon?” she asked. Kris shook his head, and the young girl smiled slightly. “I guess you are as respectable as that man said… I met someone, in the woods. He spoke very highly of you. He must be one of your informants,” she sighed, curling up against his belly scales. “He said his name was Kris… What a coincidence,” she yawned. “Then again… I wonder if any of this is coincidence,” she murmured as she began to drift off to sleep. “I wish you could talk, dragon… Then you could tell me why you brought me here. I suppose I’ll just have to figure it out for myself.” The girl fell silent, drifting back into unconsciousness.

Kris settled his chin on his paws, his black eyes staring out the entrance of the cave into the wilderness beyond. He was quite unsure of what to think of the day’s events. It was obvious that Jang-mii was displeased with residing in the wilds with him, but he knew that if he returned her to her home that Baekhyun would force her into marriage. It was clear that in her heart Jang-mii still loved him, but she was close to giving him up for dead, and had not connected the mysterious stranger with the same name to her lost fiancé. It was certain that Jang-mii admired his human self, but when it came time for him to reveal the curse and the truth, he was unsure how she would react. His actions were undeniably selfish, and he had been rash in attacking her helpless kingdom. When it came down to it, there would be no love lost between him and Jang-mii if he revealed himself now.

Then I will have to wait, he decided, glancing down at the sleeping princess. He felt sorry for her, really; there was much going on in the world that the princess had no knowledge of, even within the borders of her own kingdom, and he had not the heart to show her. Kris had heard rumors that Baekhyun was not what he seemed, and he was afraid what the prince had in store for Jang-mii. As Kris’ mind pondered the many troubles, he slept fitfully, unaware of the darkness creeping over the wilds.

Baekhyun was not the type to let his plans be derailed so easily.