Upon Her Wedding Day

The Princess and The Dragon

Jang-mii awoke with a start as she felt a hand gently shaking her shoulder. She had fallen asleep on the windowsill, curled up with her arms wrapped around her legs and her head resting on the top of her knees. The uncomfortable position had left her with a shooting pain in her neck and back, and she grimaced as she stretched her arms high above her head, attempting to relieve the aching of her spine. The sun was now high in the sky, shining into Jang-mii’s eyes as she blinked sleepily. A maid had woken her, and was gazing down at her with eyebrows knit together in worry.

“My Lady, it is time to get ready. The wedding is in two hours, and we have so much to do!” the young girl fretted, shifting her weight from one foot to the other as she impatiently waited for the princess to rise from her perch on the stone ridge. Jang-mii could not help but release a heavy sigh as she slid down from the small ledge, her dress falling around her legs with a gentle swooshing sound. She walked over to the winged mirror, staring sadly into her reflection as she imagined herself in the white bridal gown she would be donning shortly.

“I am ready,” she murmured to the maid. The girl nodded and rushed out of the room to gather the rest of Jang-mii’s handmaidens, and they came chattering excitedly into the room, abuzz with elation and joy for their mistress’ approaching ceremony. A pair of them escorted the princess to a bath, already prepared with hot, soapy water.

“My Lady, the bath will be cool enough in just a few more minutes,” the attending maid reported as she placed a rag on the edge of the washbasin. Ignoring her, Jang-Mii slipped out of her gown, much to the poor girl’s surprise. “Princess, you’ll burn yourself!” she exclaimed as Jang-mii lowered herself into the large tub. Her skin turned red from the heat of the scalding water, but all the princess felt was a numb stinging as she stared down at the bubbles in the water. It had a lovely scent, of various wildflowers and honey, but Jang-mii barely noticed. The maids looked at each other with concerned expressions before busying themselves washing the princess’ cascade of black hair, while she just stared at a particular spot on the wall, not uttering a single word.

Afterwards, when the maids finished drying Jang-mii’s hair and body, they brought her back into her bedroom and in front of the winged mirror. Carefully, a pair of maids carried her wedding gown into the room, careful to keep the long train from sweeping across the ground. It was a gorgeous dress, creamy white with silver embroidered accents embedded with pearls. As the maids slipped it over the princess’ head, the sleeves, made of silky satin, fell just below her shoulders, connecting to the corset in the back. The maids quickly tightened the dress, braiding the corset ribbons expertly. Finally, a girl stood on her tip-toes to place a veil on her brow, a headpiece adorned with small white flowers that included a sheet of shimmery, see-through fabric. The maids clustered around the princess, ooh-ing and ahh-ing, while Jang-mii stared dully into the mirror.

“My Lady? Is something the matter?” one of the maids asked nervously.

“Is it the dress?” another fretted. “A fine tailor spent nearly a year constructing it. He even imported the pearls from a coastal kingdom. No princess has ever possessed a finer wedding gown, I’m sure.”

“This dress,” she breathed painfully, “I was supposed to wear for Kris.” The chambermaids fell silent as Jang-mii sat down on the small stool in front of the mirror. The bride placed her face in her hands, sobbing quietly as the cruel reality hit her. In less than an hour, she would wed Baekhyun, and forever belong to him.

“My Lady…” one of the maids murmured, gently leaning down to take the princess’ hands. She was an older woman, and had been a large part of raising her. Jang-mii thought of her as a second mother. The princess sniffled as she looked into the old woman’s eyes. “We all shared your pain when Kris was taken. We have been with you since you were very small; some of us, all our lives.” She gestured to the younger maids in the room, some no older than Jang-mii herself. She smiled softly as she gently the girl’s flowing hair, her fingers twisting around the thin fabric of the veil. “However, my dear, I am afraid that it will do you no good to look to the past,” she sighed. “The past brings pain and regret. One can only find happiness by looking to tomorrow,” she advised carefully. Jang-mii nodded with another sniff, wiping the tears from her eyes.

“I understand,” she murmured, smiling weakly at the woman.

“However,” she added with her eyebrows raised. “That is not to say that we should not treasure the past.” While Jang-mii pondered the cryptic message, the old woman shuffled around in the pocket of her dress to remove a silver locket. She gently folded Jang-mii’s hand around, and the princess inspected it carefully, her eyes wide with wonder as she regarded the heart-shaped case attached to the silver chain. As she pressed the small button on the side, it clicked open, revealing a pair of rings. They were small, perfect for a child’s finger.

“Our engagement rings… Kris’ and mine,” the princess breathed, gently running a finger over the smooth metal of the small trinkets. “Wherever did you get these?” she asked, looking up at the old woman in awe.

“When the knights went to investigate the place where you claimed the witch’s cabin to be, they found his ring in the grass, and gave it to the king to keep from upsetting you. He placed it in my care. As for your own, when your father told you that Kris was gone, you threw it from your bedroom window in despair. While you were sleeping, I searched the garden below the tower to find it. I have kept both for ten years, just in case,” she smiled, her eyes twinkling. Jang-mii threw her arms around the old woman, tears threatening to spill from her eyes once more.

“Thank you,” she sighed shakily. “I will treasure this locket for the rest of my life.” Retreating, Jang-mii closed the locket and placed it around her neck, running a finger over the side of the small case. The old woman smiled fondly.

“It is always a hard duty, to be a princess,” the maid sighed, gesturing for a young maid to bring a bouquet of sweet-smelling flowers. She placed the arrangement in Jang-mii’s hand, and the princess rose to her feet. “Princesses don’t have the luxury of marrying for love, but they fall in love all the same. How I wish Kris was standing at the altar today.” She smiled again, more painfully. “Perhaps you can learn to love Prince Baekhyun. He does seem to be quite the charming child. I hope he never wrongs you, my dear.”

At that moment, a young servant boy came rushing into the room, bowing hastily to Jang-mii before whispering something to the elderly woman. Her expression grew slightly grim, and as the boy rushed off she turned to Jang-mii with a pitiful expression. Confused, the young woman glanced over her maid’s shoulder as her father entered the room, escorted by a man she had never thought she would see again.

It was Kris’ father.

“Jang-mii,” the man smiled, his arms spread wide in greeting as he approached her. The man looked much older than she remembered, with deep lines etched into his face and flecks of gray in his shiny black hair. “It’s good to see you,” he smiled as he gave the princess a gentle squeeze.

“I didn’t know you were coming, My Lord!” she stammered, unceremoniously open in shock.

“I spent much time with you as a child, Jang-mii, and I think of you as a daughter. I would never miss your wedding, even if it wasn’t to my son,” he smiled, his eyes flickering with sadness. He then laughed joyfully and looked her over. “My, what a beautiful dress! You look like a dream.”

“Jang-mii was only given the finest,” her father smiled as he looked on proudly. Kris’ father took this as a hint to bid his farewell.

“Well, my dear, I only stopped by to say hello. I will be in the audience today. Good luck, my dear,” he smiled before taking his leave of the room. Jang-mii’s father stepped up to her, adjusting the veil as he stared down at her with a complicated expression.

“I’m sorry that this is not the way you dreamt it to be,” he murmured finally. Jang-mii smiled and reached out to squeeze her father’s hand.

“It is my duty, one I must fulfill. It’s not your fault it didn’t turn out the way we expected,” she consoled. “Is it time?” she asked quietly, and the king nodded grimly. He then slipped his arm into Jang-mii’s, while the maid hurried to grab the edges of the princess’ flowing bridal train. Without another word, they began the long, lonely descent to the throne room, where Baekhyun was eagerly awaiting the arrival of his bride. With each step, Jang-mii felt the pain within her heart grow, and she struggled to stifle it as her soft footsteps echoed across the empty halls. Finally, they arrived at the grand double doors that marked the entrance to the throne room. Jang-mii felt her father’s arm slip free of her gentle grasp, and she turned to face him.

“You are beautiful,” he sighed, smiling down at her. “No matter what, my dear, I am proud of you. You are a strong young woman, and I am proud to call you my daughter.” He placed a small pouch in her hand, containing the ring she was to give to Baekhyun during the ceremony. He then slipped away, disappearing around a corner to enter the throne room from the back and take his place at the golden throne behind his wife. Jang-mii took a deep, shaky breath as the double doors slowly began to creak open, pulled from the other side by a pair of servant boys. As she stepped forward into the grand room, silence aded the air.

The massive hall was stuffed beyond capacity with guests in the richest attire, situated on twenty-foot pews lining either side of the carpeted aisle, crammed in the balconies embedded in the stone walls, and congregated against the stone walls as they all stared in awe at the princess. The entire kingdom had been invited, as well as several nobles from the surrounding countries. Kris’ father waved down at her from a balcony as she slowly walked over the red carpet leading to the thrones, where Baekhyun stood solemnly in a rich embroidered tunic of red and gold. Finally, she took her place beside him, handing off the bouquet to a maid and staring straight ahead as a priest standing in front of them began to recite the marriage rites.

“Jang-mii, you look beautiful,” Baekhyun breathed into her ear beside her.

“You look quite handsome,” she responded robotically, looking down at her feet as she barely listened to the priest recite his lines.

“Will you, Prince Baekhyun, have this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to live together in holy matrimony? Will you love her, comfort, honor, and keep her, in sickness and in health; and forsaking all others, keep only unto her, so long as you both shall live?” the priest asked, staring intently into the Prince’s eyes. Baekhyun smiled and gazed at Jang-mii.

“I will,” he murmured, gently taking her left hand and sliding a sparkling ring onto her fourth finger. She stared down at it with little expression, watching as the light played over the glittering jewel embedded in the metal, but could bring no smile to her face, no joy to her eyes. She suddenly was overcome by the great urge to flee, and her hand twitched in Baekhyun’s as she glanced up at her father, distress clear in her expression. With a sad look, the man nodded slowly, signaling for Jang-mii to proceed with the accursed ceremony and sign herself over to the prince.

“Will you, Princess Jang-mii, have this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to live together in holy matrimony? Will you obey him, and serve him, love, honor, and keep him in sickness and in health; and forsaking all others, keep only unto him, as long as you both shall live?” the priest asked, his dark eyes staring into her own. In this moment, her voice faltered, and she could only stare.

Forsaking all others. The vow echoed around in her mind, and suddenly she felt the locket grow heavy against her chest, as if it were sinking deep into her skin. Baekhyun’s expression grew troubled, and he stared at her expectantly.

“Surely she’s only nervous,” he laughed anxiously. “Of course she’ll have me. Let us proceed,” he demanded, then frowned when the priest shook his head adamantly.

“The princess must dictate this herself for the marriage to be valid,” he explained firmly. “Princess, will you have this man?” he repeated. Jang-mii continued to remain silent, tears stinging her eyes. Her mother leaned forward in her throne, her face morphing into a raging scowl, while her father looked on with fear. Jang-mii knew that she should agree, but her heart fought desperately against it. Suddenly, with a loud cry she ripped the ring from her finger and threw it down on the red carpet, and a collective gasp echoed throughout the room.

“I will not!” she exclaimed, then screamed as the entire palace shook beneath her feet. Dust rained down from the domed ceiling as the stone walls trembled, and the guests glanced around in fear as the rumbling grew louder and louder. The double doors were suddenly forced open as a platoon of armed knights stormed into the room.

Dragoooooooon!” shouted the man in the lead, causing the hall to erupt in a panic. Citizens began screaming as they jumped from their seats and streamed toward the exit, and a dull roar echoed from beyond the walls, chilling Jang-mii to her bones. Beside her, Baekhyun drew his gilded sword and shoved her behind him, glaring over his shoulder.

“We’ll discuss this later,” he hissed, then jumped as one of the windows close by shattered into countless shards, sprinkling across the ground as a clawed red foot forced itself through. Stones began raining down from the ceiling as it crumbled, crashing into the hall with incredible force and crushing those unlucky enough to escape in time. The knights struggled to push through the panicked crowd jostling to get through the doorway.

Suddenly, a sound unlike anything Jang-mii had ever heard pierced the air, forcing itself down from the ceiling and causing her to throw her hands over her ears. Even Baekhyun was unable to stand it, lowering himself to one knee as the dragon roared high above them. Jang-mii could see its great head tearing at the dome, sending massive concrete blocks raining from the heavens. One of them landed a few feet from her, cracking the riled marble floor. Its legs were pushing apart the massive wall, sending it collapsing into the beautiful gardens beyond. Suddenly, the entire thing gave way, and with a satisfied hiss the creature dropped down into the throne room.

It was unlike anything Jang-mii had ever seen. It was massive, nearly as large as the throne room itself with legs like tree trunks and a head as large as a small ship. Its scales were a brilliant red, shining like smooth glass as it slunk across the marble floor. Twisting horns sprouted from the side of its head, and its eyes glittered black in its sockets. Its teeth were easily as long as Jang-mii’s arm, and the claws on its scaled paws scraped across the floor as it crawled along the edge of the room. Its tail, easily fifteen feet long, slid over the ground and knocked over pews and people. Its wings beat against the walls, flapping in anger as the knights approached. It was an awful yet awe-inspiring sight.

“Jang-mii! We must leave!” came a frightened cry, and she turned to find her father being escorted behind the throne by one of the knights, brandishing a sword threateningly at the creature. Her mother was beside him, clutching onto her father’s arm as she regarded the dragon with intense fear. Upon hearing the startled cry, the dragon swung its head to stare intensely down at her, sniffing the air with its steaming nostrils.

“Back, you beast!” Baekhyun yelled, swinging his sword as it leaned down over them. It collided with the beast’s snout, sending sparks flying through the air as it bounced harmlessly off of the dragon’s scales. It reared back in response, snarling angrily at the prince; however, it soon became distracted by the knights poking at it with spears and javelins. Baekhyun grabbed Jang-mii roughly by the hand and pulled her into the thick curtain behind the thrones, leading her into the dark hidden passageway alongside her mother and father. The castle continued to shake around them as the dragon battled the guard, and she could hear its roar echoing over the stones.

They arrived in an empty hall, appearing behind a tapestry that covered the door-shaped hole in the wall. A squadron of knights were there to greet them, armed to the teeth with an assortment of swords and bows. Jang-mii ran to her father, throwing herself into his arms.

“What could a dragon be doing here?” he murmured darkly, his eyes narrowed.

Jang-mii thought about her wish the night before, wondering if the beast’s arrival was some insane omen.