The Rising Storm

The Princess and The Dragon

Infuriated, Jang-mii squirmed in the grip of the giant hand, and even deigned to sink her teeth into the flesh of the perpetrator. However, her teeth could not penetrate the tough hide of the giant, and she was left spitting grime and seething with rage. I am sick and tired of being man-handled by giants! She thought crossly, pushing against the enclosed hands. After several minutes of being carried unceremoniously in the palms of the giant, light finally appeared, and she was soon standing on opened palms, arms crossed and foot tapping.

“Return me to Tao‘s cave this instant!” she screeched, cheeks pink with fury. In the dark, it was quite difficult to decipher just who was carrying her, but she could make out two forms in the darkness. As the clouds passed over the moon, flooding the mountainside with light, Jang-mii was astonished to find that it was the two bullies who had hounded Tao to the point he challenged her dragon- Suho and Sehun. They snickered, highly amused at the rage the tiny girl was spilling forth, and poked at her belly. She was unbalanced by the large finger jabbing her in her abdomen, and she waved her arms frantically as she wobbled on the giant’s hands. They laughed harder, shaking as the giggles assaulted their bodies.

“Look at her! So small, but so angry!” the one called Suho chuckled.

“What do you intend to do with me?” She huffed as she righted herself, placing her hands on her hips primly.

“Keep you, of course,” the other, Sehun, grinned widely. “Tao doesn’t deserve a pretty little thing like you. You are much better off with real giants like ourselves. Don’t worry too much,” he beamed down at her. “We will treat you very nicely.” Though they were both grinning stupidly down at her, there was a strange hunger in their eyes that deeply unsettled her. I don’t like the way they are looking at me, she thought as she bit down on her bottom lip.

“No. You take me back, right now,” she demanded hotly. The giants glanced at each other, and then began cackling in amusement.

“You are in no position to be making demands, little princess,” Sehun mused, and then next thing that she knew, the giant had his hands enclosed around her once more. She bounced around as the giant walked, and she was too busy struggling to remain standing to continue shouting her demands. Not that it will do any good... They won’t listen to me, she thought miserably, slumping down into the giant's palm. I didn’t know being a princess would involve so much kidnapping! She thought with a huff as she crossed her arms, begrudgingly resigning herself to the dismal situation. After a few minutes of listening to the giants snicker at their accomplishment and stomp up the mountainside, light spilled over her head as Sehun opened his hands. They were standing halfway down the mountain trail, far from the giants' camp. Sehun and Suho glanced at each other before Suho grabbed the rock wall and began shoving. The princess was amazed as the wall have well relatively easily, sliding like a door to reveal a spacious cave.

“You don’t intend to keep me in the dark, dank place, do you?” She gasped, affronted.

“Of course!” Suho beamed as he stepped into the cave, and Jang-mii pouted as Sehun carried her into the darkness. Water dripped from the ceiling, running from stalactites and falling into the puddles of water gathered in grooves on the rocky ground, etched out by years of water activity. The air was musty, smelling of mildew, so overwhelming that Jang-mii coughed and hacked as her lungs adjusted. She looked up warily as she heard shuffling above her head, and a flash of moonlight revealed a sizable colony of bats clinging to the roof cave, shuffling their wings as they snoozed. As Suho procured a torch and lit it, the princess screamed as the bats, startled by the light, abruptly shot down from the cave ceiling in a flurry of wings and squeaks. She ducked her head as they flew by, their little paws tangling into her hair and scratching her face. She dropped to her hands and knees, covering her head until the storm of creatures passed. She cautiously raised her head, blinking in the flickering light. The giants had been seemingly unperturbed, walking deeper into the cave while the bats had bounced harmlessly off of them.

Jang-mii sat up on her knees as the giants came to a halt. It seemed that this cave was the it hidden hideaway, as two crude beds were constructed against the back wall, the floor was lined with the pelts of several large animals, and there were several boxes of food were scattered about. The smell was unappetizing, and the princess held a hand over her nose as the giant carried her across the hideaway. “Here is where you will stay,” the giant beamed, and Jang-mii shouted as she was suddenly falling through the air. She landed at the bottom of a gigantic glass bottle, still moist with the remnants of whatever liquid was contained inside. She pounded angrily on the glass, furious.

“Let me out this instant!” she demanded, but the sound was muffled by the glass, and echoed loudly around her. The giants laughed at her, sitting down on the floor as they admired their prize. Jang-mii pushed on the edges of the bottle, and naturally, it was much to solid for her to even attempt to break. The walls were much too smooth for her to climb, and too high for her to jump. As her situation grew increasingly dire, she felt hopelessness begin to settle in, and she sank down to the floor of the bottle. Tears began to well up in the corners of her eyes. I was so close… I was so close to being reunited with my dragon, and now… She buried her face in her hands as her sadness began to overtake her, and she began to sob quietly. The two giants, the initial excitement of seizing the princess having worn off, were hooting with laughter as they played some form of a giant's board game on the floor. While she sobbed, they got embroiled in some sort of scuffle, tangling on the floor and yelling curses at each other. Jang-mii screamed as the bottle was suddenly thrown as Suho's foot collided with it, and her vision was a blur as she rolled with the bottle across the bumpy cave floor.

She landed on her back with a groan, feeling bruises forming on her skin. She rolled onto her stomach, and felt her heart stop as she saw the opening of the bottle, wide open and pointing towards the mouth of the cave. I can make a break for It! She thought, glancing at the two giants, who were still pummeling each other. Go, Jang-mii, go! She shot to her feet and stumbled out of the bottle, taking off across the rocky terrain. It was slower going than she would have liked, as she had to scramble over the uneven ground, hoisting herself up over cliffs that rose to her chest. The ground trembled as the giants rolled around on the ground, so violently at times that she rose completely from the ground and crashed back down to the earth on her face. Still, she dragged herself to her feet and continued running, the cave entrance gradually coming into sight. When she ran out onto the mountain, she found that a thunderstorm had rolled in.

She pressed herself against the rock face as the wind whirled around her, threatening to sweep her feet out from under her and cast her off the mountainside. She blinked rapidly as water ran down her face like a river, blinding her. She edged along the path, wiping her eyes furiously in an attempt to clear her vision. They don’t know I’m gone. I can get away… Her hopes were dashed as she heard angry roars from the cave, and she took off in a panic as the two giants stormed out of the cave, screaming at her. They slipped and stumbled on the slippery slope, reaching for her as she disappeared around the corner.

Jang-mii's heart slammed against her rib cage as she ran desperately towards the giants' village, her only salvation lying in Tao and his mother. The stone steps were like a mighty river, the heavy rain water cascading down the stairway in a series of waterfalls. The princess fought the current, splashing through water as high as her mid-calf as she pulled herself from stair to stair. She could hear Suho and Sehun stomping behind her, but in their haste they continuously lost their footing and went slipping down the stairway, cursing her as they dragged themselves to their foot and resumed their pursuit. She knew it was a matter of time before the larger creatures caught up to her, and she only prayed she could reach the village before they did. Gritting her teeth, she dragged herself up another stair and pushed onward.

The flickering lights of the fire came into view, and she felt hope returning to her heart as she continued to climb. “Tao!” she wailed as she splashed across the rock, screaming as a sudden gust of wind blew her backward into the water. “Tao! Help me!” she cried desperately, but her voice was snatched away by the wind. Her muscles aching with protest, she pulled herself over another stair, spitting water as she slipped and went face-first into the current. Gasping as she threw her head above the water, she groaned as she righted herself and pressed onward. Lightning crashed over her head, illuminating the mountain as the rain poured relentlessly down. She was almost there, to the end of the stair, and she would just have to make a mad dash for the cave. “TAO!” she shouted with all her strength, praying that somehow the sleeping giant could hear her feeble voice. She could hear Suho and Sehun again, stomping behind her, and they were very close. I’m so close, I can do it! I can! She told herself, pulling herself over the last stair. She splashed to her feet, her sodden dress weighing her down as she ran for the cave. Suho and Sehun were right behind her, and she bounced with their footsteps as they chased her. “TAO! TAO, PLEASE!” she screamed as Sehun reached for her, and the world darkened as the two giants loomed over her. She tripped, falling ungracefully into the water. As she rolled onto her back, panting, she squeezed her eyes shut as the hand reached out to grab her.

However, she did not feel the fingers close around her, and she cracked an eye open to see Sehun stumbling back and holding his jaw. She cried out as she was grabbed, but the grip was gentle, and familiar. “Tao!” she beamed as she the giant pulled her to his chest, holding her protectively as Suho glared at him.

“You had no right to take Jang-mii,” he growled.

“Says the one who took her first!” Sehun snapped as he sat up, bleeding from his lip. He rose unsteadily to his feet, and Tao raised his club threateningly, tightening his grip around the drenched, terrified princess.

“You will not lay hands on her again,” Tao warned him, and the two giants hesitated at the determination in the little giant's voice. Please, just leave us alone, just leave us be… She begged silently. Her heart fell when Suho sneered at them.

“You can’t take the two of us,” he smirked.

“Yeah,” Sehun agreed as he cracked his knuckles, “There are two of us, and we are much bigger than you.” She could feel Tao tense up with fear. Maybe he could take one of them, but surely not both, even if he didn’t have me to protect… she thought anxiously. She suddenly feared that the young giant, to save himself a beating, would turn her over to the pair of hooligans. He wouldn’t. He promised… She thought as she looked up at him, the fear clear in her face. Tao looked down at her uncertainly, then tightened his grip around her and took off up the mountainside. The pair of brothers shouted angrily and dashes after them, but the smaller giant was much faster, and much more coordinated. Suho and Sehun cursed as they slipped and stumbled across the rocky ground, their large feet throwing up large waves of water with every crash. Jang-mii ducked down against Tao as the rain beat down on them, like cold knives shooting from the heavens, piercing the princess and making her skin go numb.

“Don’t worry, Jang-mii,” Tao panted as he ran, smiling weakly. “I will protect you.” Jang-mii felt immensely guilty for doubting him, and she nodded up at him, returning the smile.

“Yes, I trust you!” she grinned. However, both she and Tao had hesitation hiding at the edges of their smiles, and as the two giants crashed around behind them, she prayed for a miracle.

She cried out as Tao suddenly skidded to a halt, throwing her forward. She grabbed onto his finger as she jerked forward, and she heard him whisper, “Oh, no.” She straightened up to find that they had arrived at the wide, table-like gathering place of the giants- in other words, a dead end. Tao cautiously turned around, backing towards the edge of the clearing as the two brothers stomped onto the scene, red-faced and furious.

“You’re gonna get it now, Tao!” Suho snapped angrily.

“You won’t get away from us this time,” Sehun growled. “You hand over that princess right now, and you may walk away from this with only a couple of bruises and a bloody nose.” Tao snorted, crouching down to set Jang-mii gently on the ground. She jumped down from his palm, splashing through the water to run a few pages away from the impending battle. Tao braced himself for a fight, throwing up his fists and sweeping his hair from his eyes.

“You can’t have her. If you want her, you’ll have to get through me,” he hissed.

“Well, that won’t be too hard,” Suho huffed, and the three giants collided.

If the battle between her dragon and Tao had been earth-shaking, then the battle between the three giants was earth-splitting. The earth trembled and quaked as they exchanged blows. Tao ducked and dodged as the two giants swung savagely at him, their swift movements cutting through the pouring rain like blades. As their feet stomped and slid, waves of water surged across the clearing, rising to Jang-mii's chest at the worst. As she floundered in the rising water, she scrambled onto a rock that kept her mostly protected from the surge. She gripped onto the rocky surface tightly, jarred by every movement of the thunderous battle she was watching. Despite fighting against two opponents, Tao was keeping up well, weaving between the larger giants. He was throwing them down left and right, but Suho and Sehun just kept getting back up, even angrier than before. Come on, Tao. Come on!

It happened quickly. As Tao moved to duck one of Sehun's fists, his foot slipped, and he went crashing down onto the watery rock with a shout. The two giants did not hesitate to take advantage of the situation, falling upon him in a fury. Suho kicked Tao savagely in the stomach, while Sehun snatched the club and brought it down on the fallen giant's leg with enough force to shatter bone. Tao wailed, struggling to rise to his feet, but Suho shoved him back down with a punch to the face. Tao sprawled out onto his back, groaning, and Sehun stomped on his stomach so hard that blood sprayed from his mouth.

Stop, she thought as geared began to form in her eyes. Tao was dragging himself across the rocky ground, blood dripping from his face, distorted with swelling and bruising. Sehun brought the club down on his back, and the small giant slammed down into the earth, whimpering. Please, stop. I can’t watch this again. She felt just as helpless as when her dragon had battled Tao, fighting desperately to save her. It was an ironic twist of fate that the very person who had seized her was doing the same now, and the result was going to be the same. I can’t do anything. I can’t. She scrambled down from the rock, splashing through the water as Tao continued to drag himself away, not noticing that he was approaching the edge of a precipice, the end of the clearing that dropped off to the sheer mountainside.

“Look at you,” Suho sighed to Tao, stomping on his back and immobilizing him.

“Pathetic,” Sehun tutted, and then grinned as he smashed Tao's hand with the club. “You always were a pitiful excuse for a giant. Maybe it’s better we put you out of you misery!” he huffed, kicking Tao with all his might. Groaning, Tao rolled across the clearing, coming to rest on the edge of the cliff. Jang-mii dashed over the slippery rock, throwing up water in her wake. I have to save him! I can make it! Just a little farther!

Tao peered at her through a swollen, black eye, barely conscious. He reached out towards her as Sehun raised the club over his head, aiming for the kill.

“Stop!” she shouted as she threw herself on top of Tao, shielding his face with her body. Sehun jerked, stopping the club mid-swing. Jang-mii had no idea what she had been hoping to accomplish, as the giants could easily toss her aside and continue with their heinous execution. Luckily for her, it was enough.

As she sat over the giant, hand outstretched as if to stop the oncoming attack, soaking wet, exhausted, and desperate, a red blur shot over the edge of the precipice, slicing through the water like a ship through waves. Jang-mii reeled as two clawed feet landed on either side of her, and she felt dizzy with relief as her dragon roared angrily at the pair of giants, his body curled protectively over the wounded Tao. He came for me. She thought with a wide smile, and she flopped down to her knees, her legs giving out from under her as the relief flooded through her body. The dragon snapped at the two giants, depending them scampering back, and lowered his head to gently nuzzle her tear-stained cheek.

“I was so worried,” she whispered, near the point of sobbing as she ran her hands over his snout, feeling the familiar warmth radiating from his red scales. “I thought you were…” she trailed off as his reptilian eyes gazed into her own. Why do these eyes feel so… Familiar? She thought. She had a feeling of dejá vu, recalling the feeling of being lost in those depths. She did not have long to consider it before they disappeared from her vision, as the dragon raised his head to glare at the attackers.

“I knew he didn’t kill it,” Sehun mumbled.