Not Again

The Princess and The Dragon

Kris shook a few loose leaves from his reptilian shoulders as he forced his way out of the dense forest and into the sunlight-bathed clearing, blinking repeatedly as his eyes adjusted to the light. Jang-mii had retreated from her spot on the edge of the forest to a lone tree in the middle of the flowery field, and was sitting primly at its base looking very occupied with something. It was then, with his impressive height, that Kris noticed the long scores gouged into the earth and the branches ripped away from the tree. Something happened here… Lay must have taken care of it, he assumed as he sidled his way over to the princess, his large paws crushing unlucky flowers with every step. She raised her head as he lumbered over, and he ducked his head to peer at what was situated across her lap.

“I made it for you,” she smiled happily as she rose to her feet, daintily brushing off dirt and flower petals from her legs. Wobbling unsteadily as she attempted to lift the interwoven mass of twigs and flowers she had constructed, she managed to raise it over her head and situate it on Kris’ brow. “It’s a flower crown,” she gushed proudly. “I used to make them for Kris- my betrothed, not the new one- all the time when we were little. He used to tell me how pretty they were, even though they were barely holding together,” she laughed with a trace of wistfulness in her voice. Kris raised his head, enjoying the familiar feeling of the woven branches on his head.

Yes, he thought. I remember. In the recesses of his mind, he recalled eight-year-old Jang-mii giggling as she snuck up behind him in the throne room during a conference between their fathers and plopping one of her constructions on his head. While most little boys would throw a fit at such a girly thing, he had appreciated the thought very much, and wore the thing until it was practically falling off of him. Those were fun times- not like now, he resented miserably. He then noticed that Jang-mii was waiting patiently for some sort of response from him, and so he snorted happily and leaned down to gently nuzzle her side. Giggling, she hugged his snout.

“I’m glad you find it to your liking,” she mused as she his muzzle fondly. She then sighed heavily and squeezed him tightly, burying her face into the warmth of his red scales. “I’m glad you took me away, dragon,” she whispered. Kris felt something wet fall onto his scales, and the tears the princess shed immediately evaporated with the heat radiating from within him. “Did you know that Baekhyun was treacherous? Is that why you came for me?” she asked miserably. “I suppose it doesn’t matter… You had your reason, but the end result is the same. I am safe, for now,” she sighed heavily and raised her head. She looked tired, more tired than the dragon-prince had ever seen her. Yet she smiled at him nonetheless. “Ah, forgive me. I’m just rambling.”

Blinking, Kris batted her affectionately with his head before wrapping his paws tightly around her, sitting back onto his hind legs and pulling the princess close to his chest. It was as much as a hug as he could give in such a state, but the princess appreciated it immensely, spreading her arms wide to press herself against his torso. “Let’s go home,” she implored with a hoarse, sad voice; in silent response, Kris extended his wings and began beating them against the air, flattening the flowers surrounding them with the force of strong wind. He rose slowly, holding Jang-mii securely in his arms. I will kill you, Baekhyun, he swore angrily as he gazed down at the troubled girl. You will pay for hurting her so.

Abruptly, the ground a short distance below began to rumble and quake rapidly, and Kris looked around wildly for the source of the disturbance. Unfortunately, he did not pinpoint the perpetrator until he was upon him, and was knocked over from behind. Flapping wildly to remain aloft, Kris tumbled head-over-tail through the air before recovering, hovering a few yards off the ground as he shook his head to clear his vision. Jang-mii was trembling against him, white as a sheet from the sudden scare. Growling savagely, Kris raised his head to face the newly-arrived opponent.

“Hahaha! What an oaf you are- and I thought dragons were supposed to be dignified,” mocked the individual before him. It was a giant, a relatively small one by most standards. Standing at roughly twenty feet tall, a few giant-head’s short of Kris’ own height, the giant held his belly as he laughed cruelly at the dragon. He had yellow-blonde hair, fluffy and light, but his eyes were black and hard like coal, feline and feral. Tail lashing, Kris snarled threateningly at him in an attempt to chase him off. The giant just beamed in amusement. “My name is Tao!” he cried as he jabbed at his chest with his thumb. “I am here to defeat you and claim your princess!” he announced, and then muttered, “Then, all those big-shots will have to start respecting me… Who cares if they’re taller…” Mumbling under his breath, Kris took the opportunity to beat his wings and begin a rapid ascent into the sky. Under normal circumstances, he would take the foolish boy up on his challenge, but he absolutely could not risk Jang-mii’s life. A battle between a dragon and a giant would be practically earth-shaking, and the frail girl could easily be wounded, if not killed, in the exchange.

“How rude,” Jang-mii huffed despite her obvious fear. A princess must always have her propriety, he mused. Suddenly, the princess released a shrill scream, and he glanced down to find that Tao has sprinted across the field to leap into the air. Kris yelped as the giant latched onto his foot, jerking his leg completely out of socket with the sudden weight. Unable to shake him off, Kris began rapidly losing altitude despite the heavy beating of his wings. He was being dragged down by the large man’s bulk. Angry, Kris whipped his head around to snap at the giant, but only managed to clip a few strands of hair from the surprisingly agile giant’s head.

“Whoa! That was close!” Tao laughed as he dangled from the dragon’s leg, feet pedaling as he anticipated the landing. As his feet touched the surface of the ground, he braced himself to pull hard down on Kris, dragging the roaring dragon to the ground. Kris landed in a heap, squirming as he kicked repeatedly at the giant with his free foot; in his other paws, he gripped desperately onto his beloved princess, determined not to have her fall into the giant’s hands.

Lay! LAYYYYYY! He shouted in his mind, hoping the telepathic unicorn would be within range to hear his silent screams for aid. Tao finally relinquished his grip on the dragon’s leg, tumbling unsteadily onto his behind and covered with scratches where Kris’ clawed foot had scored him. Grunting, Kris made to stand on his hind legs, but fell roughly onto his side. His leg hung uselessly, and he looked down at Jang-mii, clutched safely in his arms. I can’t fight and protect her at the same time, but I can’t get away, he thought in frustration, looking over his shoulder as the stunned Tao began rising to his feet.

“Let me go! I’ll be okay,” Jang-mii cried up to him, wriggling around to climb onto his paws. She sprung up to his neck, gripping tightly onto one of the spikes lining his spine. “I can hold on. Now get that rude giant!” she commanded, pointing at the approaching Tao. Shuffling onto his three remaining paws, Kris whipped around to face the giant, baring his fangs threateningly.

“Ooh, I’m so scared of the wee crippled dragon,” Tao mocked, throwing his hands up in false fright. He put his hands on his hips and pranced mockingly in front of Kris, dodging the dragon’s attempts to swipe at him. “Missed me! Oops, missed again! Wow, you’re really bad at this- are you sure you’re the patron god of the wilds?” he teased as he flitted about, making Kris increasingly frustrated. He’s too fast! If he hadn’t wrenched out my leg earlier, I wouldn’t have a problem! Lay, where are you? LAYYYYY! While he had been distracted once again beseeching the immortal horse for help, Tao jumped forward and punched Kris right in the jaw. His head snapped to the side, and Jang-mii screamed as she lurched forward against the protruding bone structure. “Ooh, there’s your pretty princess. She’s mine now!” Tao beamed as he reached out snatch the defenseless girl from his neck.

“Dragon!” she cried fearfully as she shrunk back from the encroaching hand.

No! You can’t have her! Kris roared silently as he swiped at Tao, catching him across the belly. The boy’s shirt bloomed red with blood, and he stumbled back with an angry wail. Then, he glared savagely at the dragon-prince, wrenching the club dangling at his side free of its restraint.

“This was my favorite shirt!” he shouted as he came running at Kris, the ground quaking with each heavy footfall. Bracing himself, Kris crouched down low against the ground, swiping at the giant as soon as he became within range. Tao blocked the blow with his heavy wooden club, prancing around as he blocked swipe after swipe. His tail lashing like an infuriated cat’s, Kris roared angrily at the frustratingly difficult opponent. “Am I too much for you?” he mocked happily.

I didn’t want to kill you in front of Jang-mii, but now you’ve pissed me off! Kris thought in fury, tilting his head back as he in air. His chest began to glow with a yellow-white hue, heat shimmering in the air as fire brewed in the air pocket in his chest. Finally, when he felt as if he were going to burst, he released the fiery wrath from within him, spilling roiling flames straight at the giant. His vision became clouded with the flickering yellow-orange stream, and he felt Jang-mii huddle down against him to avoid the suffocating heat spreading out around them. As the flame flickered and died, Kris raised his head to peer into the burning meadow, looking for any sign of the giant’s corpse.

“Wow, that was impressive. Too bad you missed,” cackled a voice from behind him, and Kris whipped around to be met with the business end of Tao’s club. As the thick wood slammed into the side of his head, Kris’ vision reeled, and he lost his footing. Legs and tail flailing, he landed roughly onto his side, the entire world fading in and out of focus. Jang-mii went rolling off his back, landing in the scorched earth a few feet away. He vaguely heard her calling out for him as he spat a bloody mess of teeth and saliva from his mouth. “Awe, did someone get a boo-boo?” Tao mocked before slamming his club into Kris’ exposed side. Despite his tough outer hide, the giant hit him with such force that Kris sank slightly into the earth, and pain blossomed over the side of his abdomen. It was excruciating, unlike anything he had ever felt, and he wailed in agony as he writhed in front of the giant. Tao found his suffering most amusing, and proceeded to slam the club down on Kris’ other back leg. As he felt the bone shatter, Kris wailed again, his vision going dark. He couldn’t think straight, he was in so much pain. All he could think was one thing.

Jang-mii… No… Have to… Protect Jang-mii… Jang-mii… he thought in delirium as he tried unsuccessfully to stand, only to crumple back into a heap. He whined as Tao prodded his bruised side with the end of the club.

“You aren’t so tough after all,” the giant sighed in disappointment. “I thought you would be more of a challenge than this. Oh, well,” he grinned as he raised the club above his head, reading to bring it down on Kris’ skull. Tired and struggling to breathe, Kris just stared unseeing up at the giant, simply trying to stay awake.

“Wait!” cried a voice as Tao went to strike. Confused, the giant looked around for the source of the voice. It was Jang-mii, who was standing protectively in front of Kris with her arms spread wide and her expression fierce. With her back to Kris, she faced the giant determinedly. “Do not kill my dragon lightly,” she warned him lowly. “If you do, then I will bite my tongue and allow myself to bleed to death. You won’t be able to claim your prize then,” she threatened. “If you do not claim me, how would he ever be able to prove you slew him? Dragons dissolve into ashes when they die.” That last bit was an obvious lie, but Tao began to look alarmed, and Kris was silently thankful the falsehood paid off.

“You lie,” Tao accused, but lowered his club nonetheless. Though Kris could not see, he assumed that Jang-mii stuck out her tongue with the attempt to clamp down on it, because Tao suddenly waved his hands and shouted, “Wait, wait! I won’t kill him if you come with me now,” he promised frantically. Despite his dire situation, Kris attempted to reach out and envelop Jang-mii protectively into his paws.

No. No, no, no, no! I can’t lose you again. Please, Jang-mii, no, no… he begged silently as she turned around to face him. There were tears in her eyes as she softly brushed his paws away, and too weak to move any longer, his arms just fell uselessly to his sides. She slowly approached him, kneeling down in front of his bruised face to gently caress his scales. Though every brush of her hand sent fire through his battered body, he savored the feeling, using the last of his strength to turn his head towards her hand.

“Don’t be afraid,” she soothed. “It will be all right,” she told him, but he could tell from her expression that she was not sure herself. As Tao walked up behind her and gingerly took the princess into his hands, Kris broke inside. No, no, not again, please, not again, he begged no one as the giant turned his back and began carrying his princess, the love of his life, towards the forest. A half-scream, half-wail erupted from him as he forced himself to roll onto his belly, dragging himself with his front paws after the rapidly disappearing Tao. He saw Jang-mii bury her face in her hands, unable to look at his obviously pitiful display. He didn’t care. All he wanted was her, he needed her, he could not allow her to be taken. Jang-mii! Jang-mii! JANG-MII! He wailed silently in pure heartbreak, finally collapsing as the last of his strength faded. He flopped down into the burnt flower field, watching in misery as Tao disappeared into the trees. He never knew he could cry in his dragon form, but tears began streaming from his dark eyes, splashing onto the ground and hissing as they made contact with the scorched earth. He wailed again, and again, and again, but the giant never came back. He cried and wailed until the sun sank below the horizon and the stars came out, but his princess was not returned to him.

I failed. I failed her. I failed, he thought over and over. Eventually, the pain caught up with him, flaring in his broken leg and his battered belly like fire blazing inside of him that he could not quell. Blood leaked from his mouth, dying the earth red. He just watched through lidded eyes as the moon continued to climb slowly through the sky. In an hour or so, he would transform, and he would likely be eaten by some wild animal or another, unable to defend himself with his debilitating wounds. I’m sorry, Jang-mii… I’m so sorry, he whimpered to himself. Abruptly, he became aware of the sound of thundering hooves, and glanced out of his peripheral vision to see a brilliant white horse with an iridescent horn galloping across the battle-torn field. With a flash of light, Lay transformed into his human self and came running over.

“I am sorry, my friend. I followed Baekhyun out of telepathic range,” he apologized breathlessly as he kneeled down beside Kris’ belly to assess his wounds. “I came as soon as I heard. Luckily a bird was passing by and spread the news. It’s such a good thing that news gets around so quickly,” he laughed weakly as he attempted to destress the situation. Kris just whined loudly, staring at the mountain. “Ah, the giants,” Lay guessed. “I have heard that there has been some unrest, but I never would have imagined that one would challenge you openly.” Kris winced as Lay placed his hands gently on his sides. Soft white light spread from his palms, seeping into the dragon’s scales. Kris began to feel the magic pulsing through his body, and he felt himself relaxing as the pain ebbed away.

Jang-mii… He took Jang-mii, he told Lay tiredly, feeling the bones in his leg jerking back into place.

“I know. We don’t have much time,” Lay sighed heavily as he glanced up at the moon. Kris snorted as his leg shot back into socket, but the unicorn’s magic kept the pain at bay. The light slowly faded, and Kris rolled experimentally onto his side. The pain was gone, banished by Lay’s miraculous healing powers. Renewed, Kris rose to his feet and spread his wings wide; looking up at the giant reptile’s bulk, Lay frowned slightly. “Will you be all right by yourself? I can come with you,” he offered.

No. This is something I must do, he asserted. Lay nodded in understanding, taking a few steps back as Kris prepared for take-off. Flapping his powerful wings, Kris generated buffeting gales as he rose slowly into the air. As he ascended into the clouds, he glanced down to see Lay, in his unicorn form, dashing back into the forest to resume trailing Baekhyun and his company; then, Kris surged forward, shooting towards the lone mountain on the horizon.

I’m coming for you, Tao. You will have hell to pay when I get there.

Jang-mii… Be strong, Jang-mii.