A Thunderous Battle

The Princess and The Dragon

Kris snarled angrily at the pair of giants as they tried to edge forward, and they squeaked in fright as he bared his long, spear-like teeth, hastily shuffling away. With a soft growl rumbling in his throat to keep them at bay, the dragon-prince glanced down once more at his beloved princess. She was soaking wet and shivering, having been battered by the torrential rainstorm as she had attempted her escape, and her hands and knees were covered in numerous scratches from falling on the rough stone. Despite that, she was kneeling beside the unconscious giant hovering at the edge of the precipice, his bruised cheek as so softly whispered words of encouragement. Kris recognized him as the young giant who had beaten him to a bloody pulp and seized Jang-mii; he did not know what had occurred to cause the princess to pity him and attempt to protect him, but he did know that he no longer seemed to be his enemy, and so he had no cause to further harm the pathetic creature. From what he could gather, the smaller giant had been attempting to save Jang-mii from the rough-looking pair still skulking along the edge of the rock clearing, and so, Kris would make sure that the two punks would lay no further hands on him. That’s what Jang-mii would want him to do.

“Tao? Tao, can you hear me?” She was murmuring. The giant groaned slightly and shuddered, but did not awaken. He’s in bad shape. Those two giants will find their courage soon enough. I have to get him away from this edge… Hai reptilian eyes still on the two, he leaned down to gently grasp the wounded boy-giant's arm in his teeth, careful not to press too hard and break skin. Slowly, he began to drag him away from the edge, pulling him across the rock to a safer location. The princess trotted along beside him and tried to soothe the young giant as he groaned and whined in pain, every bump sending waves of agony through his body. Kris tried to be as gentle as he could, but it was not easy dragging something nearly as big as you were across uneven terrain while ensuring his enemies did not sneak up behind him. When he reached a seemingly safe location, he let the arm fall from his mouth and turned his attention back to the princess' attackers. They were growing bolder, it seemed, as they were smirking and elbowing each other while pointing at him.

“It’s a lot smaller than I imagined. No bigger than Tao,” one of them snickered.

“It must be a runt,” the other ones agreed. Kris lashed his tail impatiently. He was not one to take insults lightly, but he knew better than to rush in for the attack, especially when an entire colony of giants lay sleeping just below the clearing. They are trying to provoke me. Stay calm, he told himself as his blood began to boil with anger at their taunts. They were making faces at him, and turning around to wiggle their behinds in his direction. I am a prince! I should not suffer such mockery! He fumed as he stamped his clawed feet and roared, and they shut up for a brief instant as they mountain rumbled with the force of his rage. However, they instantly regained their confidence.

“Ooh. We made it angry,” the first one laughed as he pointed at him. “It’s got a pretty loud bark, wouldn’t you say?”

“Oh, yes. The question is, does its bite hold up to its bark?” the other responded snidely. Jang-mii glanced up in irritation, putting her hands on her hips as she regarded the rude giants.

“Suho! Sehun!” she scolded, looking at each other them in turn. “That is quite enough! You hurt Tao badly, and now you’re making fun of my dragon!” she shouted at them. “You had best believe that your mother will be hearing of this!”

“Oh, but in order for that, you have to make it past us, little princess,” the one called Suho purred threateningly.

“And that isn’t going to happen,” the one named Sehun smirked evilly, brandishing a club. Jang-mii seemed to lose her spunk then, and fearfully retreated behind Kris’ sturdy legs. “First, I’m gonna beat this pet of yours into jelly. Then, I’m gonna laugh Tao off the side of this mountain. And then, you’re going back to your bottle, where you’re gonna stay,” he continued smugly. Kris snorted, smoke pouring from his nose. No. I won’t let you blasted creatures have my princess. I already lost her once; there is no way I’m losing her again, especially to be some display for some spoiled brats! Tail lashing over the rocky surface, he hissed as he stalked forward, eyes flashing between the two giants. Fighting one of them had been hard enough, and he had no idea how he was going to face two. I have to, he told himself firmly. I’m running out of time. I have to finish this before I change!

Lightning-fast, he shot forward, raking his claws across Suho’s belly. The giant howled as bright red blood began to stain his shirt, and he then stomped his feet in rage and went to grab Kris by the tail. Kris pranced away, keeping himself planted between the two angry giants and his charges. Sehun dashed at him, club raised over his head, but Kris rolled to the side and clamped down on the giant's leg. He pulled it out from under him, whipping his head back and forth to tear deep into the flesh. Sehun screamed and writhed on the ground, beating Kris in the head with a fist until he released. Whimpering, the giant crawled back to his friend and eased himself back to his feet, limping heavily as blood mixed with the rain water.

“You’re dead meat, lizard!” Suho shouted, snatching the club from his friend and running for him. As Kris braced for impact, the giant suddenly cut to the side and started charging at the defenseless princess and the unconscious Tao. Kris shot forward to jump onto the giant's back, claws digging in as he bit down on his hand. Suho dropped the club and started pulling at the dragon on his back, but Kris held fast, clawing deeper as the giant whirled about. He abruptly slammed into the wall, crushing Kris between the rock and himself; the blow made him dizzy for a moment, allowing Suho to grab him and wrench him off. He threw him, and Kris sailed in the air to land roughly on his back in front of Sehun. He barely had time to shoot out of the way as Sehun's foot crashed down, shattering the rock where Kris had been only seconds ago.

I can’t keep this up for much longer, Kris thought as blood leaked out of his mouth. His only hope was that the noise would awaken the rest of the giant clan, and they would not see him as an enemy when they arrived at the battle. I have to stall them, he thought, and as they dragged themselves to the feet to ready another attack, Kris reared back his head. As fire gathered in his chest, making his chest glow with white-hot heat so fierce the rain evaporated before it even touched his skin, the giants cried out and began to scramble away. Kris abruptly released the stream of flames, spraying it between himself and the two thugs; it flickered and hissed in the rain, forming a barrier around the dragon, the princess, and the giant. Suho and Sehun hovered on the other side, scowling. It won’t hold for long, he thought as he watched the rain pour down from the heavens. Ten minutes, at best. He sat down on his haunches, glaring at the pair of giant's as Jang-mii crawled up his back.

“Are you okay?” she asked him worriedly, gently the top of his head. It felt good, and Kris felt a shudder go through him as her soft fingers brushed over his scales. He nodded in response to her inquiry, and tried to hold himself together as she slid down onto his shoulder to hug his neck. “I have to get down to the village somehow. If you can distract them long enough for me to get away, I can wake the other giants and stop this.” Even when they are her enemies, she doesn’t want to see them die, he thought sadly. The girl had too pure of a heart, and her knew sooner or later she would experience great hardship because of it. He glanced down at her, nudging her gently. “Yes, I know. It’s dangerous,” she sighed. “It’s the only way. Strong as you are, there’s little chance you can defeat two giants on your own. If Tao was in shape to fight, then maybe, but…” she glanced down at the battered, bloody boy miserably. “He's not too bad, after all. He just wanted them to accept him. He promised to bring me home to you, but those two kidnapped me. He came to save me, and now look at him.” She hugged him again, and he could feel her trembling. “I don’t want to ever see you like that again.”

Jang-mii… he thought as he softly nuzzled her. He then jerked as he felt a familiar sensation, his bones humming with energy and his muscles starting to spasm. No! It’s too soon! He thought in a panic as he felt his legs go out from under him. Jang-mii cried out as she slipped off of him and landed roughly on the rocky ground. Not here! Not now! He could feel himself shrinking as his body began to glow with bright light. It hurts… No matter how many times he went through it, it was just as painful as the first time. A low groan slipped out of him as his entire body ached and throbbed. When he was done, he lay there on the stony ground while the rain poured down from above, drenching him and cooling down his burning body.

“Kris?” Jang-mii whispered as she kneeled down next to him, gazing down at him with a mixture of worry and confusion. Though she was sure that she had many questions, they did not have the luxury of time. As she helped him sit up, he could see that the fire was beginning to sputter and die, and the giants were beginning their advance. He felt his strength beginning to return, and so he scrambled to his feet and drew his blade.

“Jang-mii, behind me,” he commanded, and thankfully the girl obeyed his wishes without question. As the flames finally flickered out, Suho and Sehun lumbered forward and glanced down at the red-haired boy.

“What’s this? Where’s the dragon?” Suho sniffed as he squinted down at Kris.

“It seems it’s this little man now,” Sehun responded with raised eyebrows. “That takes the fun out of killing him,” he pouted slightly as he swung the club around. They’re underestimating me. That will be their last mistake.

“Jang-mii,” he called to the princess. “I’ll keep these jerks busy. Go do what you have to,” he instructed as he brandished the sword expertly and advanced on the pair of giants. They’re big, but I’m much faster. If I can keep them distracted long enough for Jang-mii to get help, I may just get out of this alive…

“Be careful!” she shouted after him. She was standing beside the unconscious body of Tao wringing her hands into her dress, and her eyes were wide with fear. I have no intention of dying today, he thought with a growl, and lunged forward. He took the two giants by surprise, weaving between the giant’s legs. As he hacked at Suho's legs with the blade, the giant yowled and began hopping around. Bright red blood splattered onto the ground, running like rivers as Kris slashed and sliced. His feet glided across the ground, kicking up water with every step. It was like a deadly dance, and Kris felt his heart singing. He had always enjoyed battle; it was the knight in him. He was born to battle. Every time he held a sword, he felt like he was complete; hearing the sound of steel clashing against steel was music to his ears. One day, I’ll be a true knight. One that can protect her, he thought as he glanced over his shoulder at Jang-mii. She was watching the battle with that nervous look of hers. I can’t let her down!

“Damn it! He’s too quick!” Suho cried in annoyance as he bent down to grab the swordsman. Kris ducked between his legs, drawing the sword across the thick skin of his calves. Blood bloomed red as the steel ripped into him, and the giant screeched in pain. Kris dashed through the water as Sehun came stomping after him, and he barely ducked the oncoming fist as it swung over his head. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Jang-mii dashing down the great stone steps, heading toward the giant village. Good. Now I just have to keep them a little busy.

While he was slightly distracted, Sehun regained his bearings and came lumbering after him with the club. Kris cried out as it crashed beside him, and the ground cracked beneath his feet from the force of the blow. He lost his balance and crashed to the ground, and as he rolled onto his back, he saw Sehun looking over him with the club raised high over his head. Crying out, he quickly rolled across the rocky terrain just as the wooden club collided with the stone. Pebbles showered over him, and he groaned as he dragged himself to his feet and swirled the sword in his hand. The two giants towered over him, turning red with anger.

“We are going to crush you,” Sehun hissed angrily, grabbing the club tightly. The two began prowling around him, walking in circles. Kris kept time with them, his eyes flashing back and forth between the two giants. He abandoned himself to his instincts. His blood roared in his ears as the adrenaline pumped through his body. He breathed deeply in and out, and poured all his energy into his senses. Watch every movement. His eyes were trained on the feet, watching as they shuffled over the earth. Predict their movements.

As Suho came at him, Kris dodged the oncoming blow, slicing open the giant's arm; instantly, Sehun was on him, and Kris had to leap out of the way as the club came crashing down. Over and over, they swung and kicked and punched, and each time Kris narrowly avoided being crushed into a pulp. Constantly weaving and dodging was exhausting, and within a minute he was panting heavily and drenched in sweat. The rain didn’t help, as the cold was seeping deep into his bones and all the energy out of his body. Hurry, Jang-mii… he thought desperately as he rolled out of the way of another club swing. I can’t hold out much longer… As soon as he thought it, he slipped on the rain-slicked ground and stumbled. Suho took the opportunity to drive his foot right into his middle. Kris went sailing through the air, crashing roughly onto the rock. All the breath left his body, and he whined as every muscle groaned in protest as he tried to sit up. The two giants stood over him, and Kris felt panic rising inside of him as he tried to scoot away.

“Looks like it’s the end for you, little man,” Suho grinned stupidly down at him. As Sehun raised the club, Kris felt his heart stop. Jang-mii! He thought, and he squeezed his eyes shut. The expected blow never came, and instead he heard the two giants squealing. His eyes shot open to see a large giant woman grabbing the two boys by the ears, looking cross. Bewildered, Kris just watched as she pulled tightly on their ears, forcing them down to their knees.

“You little punks!” she scolded angrily. “I can’t believe you’ve been causing this much trouble. Look at poor little Tao! I’m gonna beat your asses!” she screeched as she dragged the two protesting boys down the mountainside. Another giant woman was kneeling beside Tao, who was finally coming to. Jang-mii ran over to him, kneeling down beside him and helping him sit up. He rubbed the back of his head, and when he pulled his hand away he found blood on his fingertips.

“Are you all right?” she asked him quietly. She had a hand on his arm, and she had that cute, worried expression on her face. Even covered in dirt, drenched in the rain, with her hair disheveled, she looked stunningly beautiful. He smiled shyly up at her.

“I’m fine. Nothing I can’t handle,” he responded. Before they could say anything else, the ground lurched beneath them. Kris caught Jang-mii as she lost her balance, and he held her against him as the ground began to rumble and crack.

“What’s happening?” she cried in fear. Kris glanced down as a fissure began to appear beside them.

“We gotta go!” he cried as he jumped to his feet, pulling her up. He wobbled as the ground suddenly heaved, and the next thing he knew they were falling backwards. He heard Jang-mii screaming as the fell into the open air, and Kris reached for something, anything, to grab onto. His hand found the ledge, and he dug his fingers into the stone. He grunted as they slammed against the rough rock wall. Jang-mii had her arms around his neck, and he was holding her around the waist as they dangled precariously at the edge of the precipice. Half of the clearing had collapsed, and as he glanced down he saw the rocks crashing far down below. His mind swam with the dizzying height, and so he turned his attention back to the frightened girl in his arms.

“Kris,” she whispered tearfully. She was trembling violently, jarring him with every shake. His hand began to slip from the force, and he knew he had to do something.

“Jang-mii,” he whispered softly. She looked at him, her eyes wide and fearful. “It’s okay. Don’t be afraid,” he soothed, planting a kiss on her lips. She calmed down slightly, allowing him to tighten his grip on the ledge. Still, he did not know how long he could hold out, holding up the weight of two people. Gritting his teeth, he tried to push Jang-mii up towards the edge, but he did not have the strength. Abruptly she slipped from his grip, and she screamed shrilly as she dropped down. He grabbed her hand at the last minute, and his entire body rocked as all her weight jerked on his arm, nearly pulling it out of socket. He felt his fingers sliding on the wet ledge. His feet scrabbled against the rock, but he could not find a hold. His heart began to pound in his chest. Come on, come on, do something!

“Kris,” Jang-mii whispered, and he looked down at her. Jang-mii… “I’m scared.”

“Me too,” he admitted quietly, and as the ground rumbled once more, Kris lost his grip on the stone, and they went plummeting into the darkness.