It's Very Unusual

Bluebells

"Jongup has two secrets; 1) his crush on Daehyun (ofc) and 2) a small-scale superpower. Like weak telekinesis or so. As Daehyun insists on joining him for long dance practice sessions each day, it gets increasingly hard for Jongup to keep his secrets. Please write a scene where both are revealed! (Bonus if Jongup uses superpower to get his water bottle!)"-anon

well, this got out of hand and a little weird/abrupt?????? but hey I tried my best ;) xx (also I kinda strayed a bit whoopssss)

pairing: daeup
rating: PG-13 (like 2-3 swears lol)
warnings: n/a

 

Jongup’s been staring at the lamp on his dresser for a solid 20 minutes, just watching the different waves of color that form the bright, yellow light emitting from the bulb. He’s supposed to be working on his Statistics homework, but by the third question, he was so frustrated he accidentally knocked the violet straight out of his light, causing the yellow glow to shift and fade to a paler shade.

Jongup thinks to himself that by now, he should have this useless ability under control, but no. Despite his lack of hold on it, though, he’s somehow managed to keep the issue as a secret from his nosy roommate. With finals approaching, however, Jongup is a bit worried about controlling himself, since Daehyun is in the room a lot more to study. He’s here right now, in fact, but he fails to notice the shift in lighting, and Jongup continues to stare into his lamp.

“You’re gonna go blind doing that.”

Jongup jerks up, nearly launching his textbook from its position on his pillow as he moves, and his eyes dart to Daehyun, who’s perched on his bed across the room. His eyes don’t need to adjust to the change in lighting.

“What are you working on now?” Jongup changes the subject, and Daehyun groans.

“Dammit, Jongup, I was trying to distract myself with you.” He flops backwards on his bed, arms falling next to him so that he looks like a starfish with its legs still criss-crossed

Jongup just shrugs. It’s silent for another minute as Daehyun continues to stare at the ceiling, and Jongup attempts to go back to his math homework.

“How’s the choreo going?”

Jongup frowns at the interruption, but answers his roommate regardless. “I finished the outline, but I haven’t actually rehearsed anything yet,” he says sheepishly.

“Sounds like we’re in the same boat.”


Jongup freezes mid-spin when he sees the door of the practice room open in the reflection of the mirror.

“Wow, a metal track for your final? That’s edgy,” Junhong, a fellow member of the dance program, wanders into the room, dropping his bag against the wall and sliding down next to it.

Jongup pauses the music and puts his hands on his hips. “It’s different,” he corrects. “And that’s what gets you places. Plus, I already did lyrical for my midterm.”

Junhong just shrugs and pulls an apple from his bag. “Whatever,” he takes a bite, “I’m still doing Kiesza,” he speaks through a mouthful of fruit.

“Which one is it, again?” Jongup bends down to retrieve his water bottle.

“Hideaway,” Junhong takes another bite.

Jongup takes a drink. “Isn’t that one super repetitive?”

“Well, yeah, but the track only has to be two minutes,” Junhong chucks the remainder of his apple into the trash can on the other side of the room. “For three,” he mumbles unenthusiastically, arm still held in the air, hand bent at the wrist.

“So, what’s up?” Jongup slides down to sit next to him.

“Well, I wanted to grab a room to practice, but all the others are taken, so I decided to crash yours,” he shrugs.

“Got any in-class exams?”

“Ugh,” Junhong groans. “Too many.” He looks over at Jongup with a raised brow. “How’s the stress treating you ?”

Jongup shoves his shoulder. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Remember during midterms when we were rehearsing the day before your exam?”

“Oh, that.”

“Yeah, you blinded me!”

“You’re being overdramatic.”

Junhong crosses his arms over his chest. “You could’ve told me about it, you know,” he huffs.

“What good would that have done?” Jongup sighs. “The worst I’ve ever done is ruin my mom’s dad’s kitchen wallpaper.”

“Whatever.” Junhong stands up. “Mind if I run through my routine a few times?” He eyes Jongup’s sweaty form. “You look like you need a break, anyway.”

Jongup takes a gulp from his water bottle. “Go for it.”


“Hey,” Jongup greets Daehyun as he closes the door behind him and tosses his bag onto his bed.

Daehyun grunts in response, obviously in a mood.

Jongup rolls his eyes and peels his tank top off to throw it into his hamper. “Having fun with that composition of yours?” He turns to take a clean towel from the closet, missing the way Daehyun’s eyes drag over his .

“I love my major,” Daehyun states flatly, and Jongup chuckles.

“I’ll be back,” he turns towards the door, catching Daehyun’s eyes before he buries his face in his Music Theory papers.

 

Jongup is so exhausted, he barely makes it back into the room before collapsing onto his bed, not even bothering to put clothes on despite the fact that his towel is dampening his comforter. He groans.

“Dae, could you shut the curtains? S’too bright in here,” he complains.

“It’s overcast out, Jongup.”

“Oh. Turn the light out, then?”

“No, I’m working.”

Jongup groans again, rising from the bed to slip on a pair of boxers, only to fall back into the sheets immediately after. He buries his head beneath a pillow, relaxing and releasing a loud sigh as soon as he shuts his eyes.

“Whoa!”

Jongup jerks at the shout, but he doesn’t uncover his head. “What? You good over there?”

“Our lights just went out,” Daehyun spoke slowly, and Jongup froze. He hadn’t even noticed.

“Uh, you think the power’s out?” He mumbles.

“We run on a generator; no way.” Jongup hears a textbook slam shut. “Seriously? How could all three bulbs have blown simultaneously ?”

Something shifts, and footsteps cross the room. “Wait…” a switch flips. “The hell? The lights weren’t even ! Great, now I’m hallucinating!”

Jongup cringes and rolls over. Had he been powering the lights? Whoops . Honestly, this dumb…quirk, gift, curse, talent, whatever the hell it was–controlling wavelengths and hues of light? He doesn’t even know–is really just a hinderance. Jongup has yet to discover a benefit that doesn’t involve being able to shut the lights off without getting out of bed. In fact, he’s got no idea what it is or where it came from, just that it’s driving him absolutely insane. Jongup tries not to think about it, but the entire thing just seems so utterly ridiculous to him sometimes. He’s tried to imagine himself as a superhero, beating up villains that don’t exist by messing around with the color of their hair. He barks a laugh at the memory of his high school fantasies. How stupid.

“You all good over there?” Daehyun’s voice travels across the room, and Jongup feels his cheeks heat up and his brows draw together.

“Fine,” he calls weakly over his shoulder, pillow now lodged in his embrace. His discomfort must show, because he hears springs creak and suddenly the mattress beneath him dips. He glances up when Daehyun throws his legs over his back, but doesn’t say anything, instead electing to ignore the sensation as much as possible and close his eyes again.

“You’re being weird,” Daehyun accuses, poking him in the shoulder.

“You’re just trying to avoid doing your work,” Jongup mutters back.

“Well, yeah,” Daehyun admits, “you’re a good distraction.”

Jongup covers his face with his pillow again. How ironic that Daehyun thinks Jongup is good at distracting him .

“Why are you hiding from me?” Daehyun whines. “Come on,” he shakes Jongup’s shoulder, and Jongup tries to maintain a steady heart rate. “What’s up with you?”

“Tired. Go away.”

Daehyun scoffs. “We’re all tired; it’s finals week.”

Jongup presses the pillow harder into his face as Daehyun leans over him.

“Jonguppie~come on…” Daehyun tugs at the pillow, and Jongup’s arms tighten around it too late, the cushion slipping from his arms.

He keeps his eyes shut; he can feel the pigment of them changing, something he doesn’t recall ever having happened in the past. What was wrong with him?

“Wake up~” Daehyun poked Jongup’s cheek, and he flinches, squeezing his eyes tighter.

“Hey, wait––when did you get highlights?” Jongup feels Daehyun’s hand tug at his hair.

Dammit, he swears to himself. “Uh, just the other day,” his voice wavers a bit. “Do you like it?”

“Well, I’ve gotta say, ginger was an interesting choice, but–”

“Ginger‽” Before Jongup can stop himself, his eyes snap open and he sits up, grabbing at his hair. He’s been able to manipulate his hair color, but he’s never gotten ginger right before.

“Jeez, contacts, too?” Daehyun sounds baffled. “What are you working on that you need all this color for? Or are you just changing up your look?” He peers closely at Jongup’s face, which has got to be bright red by now.

Jongup ducks his head. “Oh, right…contacts. Uh, yeah, for my routine. I’m just testing them out today; you noticed, congratulations!” Jongup tries to maneuver his way out from under Daehyun’s legs, which are resting over his stomach now, and slip out of the bed, but Daehyun catches him around the waist before he can get away, pulling him back down.

“Wait,” Daehyun brings his face closer to Jongup’s, inspecting his eyes.

Jongup blinked, hoping the color wouldn’t shift.

“What–” Daehyun breathed, grabbing the sides of Jongup’s face. “Where are the rings?”

“Rings?”

“Yeah, the rings of the contacts…I should be able to see the lenses…” he trails off.

“Oh, they’re super thin,” Jongup mumbles, still trying to wriggle away, but Daehyun’s hold on his face doesn’t waver. Suddenly Daehyun blinks widely and shakes his head, unintentionally squeezing Jongup’s cheeks. “I swear they were just blue…”

“They were blue?” Jongup is surprised, his own eyes widening when he catches his slip-up.

“Yeah, I–” Daehyun paused, “wait, are you implying that you didn’t know your eyes were blue?”

Jongup let’s his shoulders fall, figuring that it’s not worth hiding at this point, and he shrugs. “This has never happened before, I have no idea why just now.”

“…but you don’t seem surprised.” Daehyun let’s go of his face, and Jongup rubs at his jaw.

“What’s your favorite color, Dae?”

“What?” Daehyun looks taken aback. “I mean, pink, but–hey! What are you–”

Jongup puts a hand on Daehyun’s head, and the soft brown hair that he loves so much seeps into a deep purple-pink. Jongup frowns. “Hm. I was going for a more pastel shade…” he mumbles, dissatisfied.

“A pastel–” Daehyun’s confusion is cut of with a shout as he catches his reflection in the mirror across from where they’re standing, and he yelps. “What the hell‽ That’s not pink, that’s magenta !”

Jongup looks taken aback. “ That’s your concern?”

Daehyun runs over to the mirror, dragging his fingers through his hair. “Look,” he starts, “I have no idea what’s going on, but it seems harmless and you look so hot with green eyes, so–” It takes Daehyun a second to realize what he’s said, and he slaps a hand over his mouth too late, eyes drifting to meet Jongup’s in the reflection of the mirror, slowly. “I mean–”

“I guess I should learn to control it, then.” Jongup’s awkward persona shifts into confidence, showing with an amused smirk, his eyes still glittering green.


send me requests! xx