It's Not Unusual

Bluebells

“University AU, Jongup has a small crush on course-mate Daehyun even though they've never spoken. Dae sometimes catches him staring, and always shoots him a smile when he does. Please write a scene with this setting, where they talk for the first time~!” -anon

pairing: Daeup
rating: PG
warnings: n/a


Jongup is doomed.

Completely and utterly doomed.

He’s had an entire week to do this project for Music Theory, a required course for his minor in vocal performance. It’s just supposed to be a quick presentation; no big deal, but at this point he’s questioning his decision to pick up a second minor, not to mention the surprising workload that comes with the Dance major package.

Finals week is approaching faster than ever, and Jongup is absolutely drowning in assignments, tests, and portfolios. As he jogs to class, he prays that his professor won’t pull his name to present today. All he needs is one more day, and it certainly isn’t adding anything to his track record that he’s late to this class nearly everyday, but it’s hard to make it across campus in the five minute window he has between classes.

He makes it today, though, and he thinks to himself that at least one thing is going right, even if it’s such a miniscule thing as sliding into his seat before the professor arrives.

He puts his bag down and pulls out his notebook and a pen, prepared to take the required notes from each presentation, and is still bent over when a familiar pair of black sneakers makes its way past.

He freezes and let’s his eyes follow the legs attached to the feet inside the shoes, tracing up nicely formed calves and thighs, hugged nicely in a pair of gray skinny jeans. He stops his eyes from drifting further up, dragging his mind out of the gutter. Now is not the time. Jongup shakes his head and places his notebook and pen on the desk in front of him. This is honestly the most pathetic crush he’s ever had; Jung Daehyun is so far out of his league; in fact he likes to think that they aren’t even in the same sport. Daehyun is, for one thing, two years older than Jongup, and basically a prodigy of the music program. He plays the lead in every musical produced at the university, and his instrumental skills are no joke either, but Jongup just can’t help the way he catches himself staring.

Jongup watches Daehyun as he settles into his usual seat, just a couple rows in front of Jongup, and musses his rich brown hair as he takes his phone out of his pocket, silencing it before putting it in his bag.

Jongup doesn’t notice the professor come in until she speaks, powering up the computer. “Well, I certainly hope you’re all prepared!” She sounds way too chipper, Jongup thinks. “I’ll pick the first name now, if there aren’t any volunteers, so that we can get started right away.” Unsurprisingly, no one volunteers to go first.

Jongup visibly cringes as she reaches into a jar filled with little slips of paper, fishing around a bit before drawing one out and unfolding it. He holds his breath, imagining that this must be what it feels like during the reaping of the Hunger Games , except that his odds of being called are a bit bigger at 1:16.

Jongup thinks that fate must be laughing at him as the professor calls his name and everyone in the class simultaneously turns to look at him as he gulps and then clears his throat. Points to them for being so synchronized, though.

He takes a deep breath and sighs heavily, wincing as he speaks. Of course this would happen to him, as if there wasn’t enough suffering on his side of the board already. “Um, actually, Professor–”

“I’ll go!”

Jongup blinks, his mouth hanging open just a bit.

“I’d like to go first, actually, Professor, if Jongup doesn’t mind.” Daehyun waves his arm in the air conspicuously and Jongup glances at him, brows furrowed and confusion very obviously decorating his face. Daehyun sends a quick wink and a smile his way when Jongup meets his eyes, and he immediately looks down.

, he knows.

 

It ends up taking Daehyun about half an hour to get his presentation going as he fumbles around on the computer, which is suffering from some “technical difficulties” AKA buying time.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to call the Info Tech Team down?” The professor asks for what must be the sixth time.

“Yeah, yeah,” Daehyun shoots her a wide smile, “I got this, just give me a minute. Weird that the computer decided to spaz out today, huh?”

There are a couple of snickers throughout the classroom, but the professor just rolls her eyes. “Technology will forever remain a mystery to me,” she says, and for once Daehyun is thankful for baby boomers.

When there are 20 minutes left of class, he miraculously discovers a solution to the problem, and the presentation goes off without a hitch, taking up the rest of the allotted time. Has a plan ever gone over more smoothly?

 

As soon as he’s finished and the professor dismisses the class, Jongup is out the door. He’s not taking any chances that have anything to do with confrontation. Daehyun knows, he’s sure of it.

“Hey, Jongup!”

Oh god. Jongup glances over his shoulder and, suspicions confirmed, speeds up and rounds the corner. He can’t talk to Daehyun; he can’t.

But Daehyun isn’t having any of that, and he picks up his pace too. “Hey, what are you doing‽” He weaves through the people in the hall, trying to follow Jongup, but he doesn’t manage to catch him until they’re outside, when he decides to sprint up and corner him in front of the garden.

A little, surprised “oh” leaves Jongup’s lips and Daehyun tries not to think about how adorable the sound is.

“What’s your problem?” He asks instead, trying to look accusatory and knowing that he’d failing miserably when it comes out sounding more hurt than anything. He recovers quickly by clearing his throat and rolling his eyes when Jongup has the decency to act confused, avoiding eye contact at all costs. “I wouldn’t object to a ‘hey, Daehyun, thanks for saving my , I owe you one’, you know?”

“No, I–” Jongup shakes his head frantically, but Daehyun interrupts him.

“Why are you trying to run away from me?”

Jongup freezes in place just as he’s trying to duck away again. “Oh, uh, I’m not,” he manages to get out. “It’s just, I have another class in five minutes, and it’s across campus–”

“I call bull.” Daehyun folds his arms across his chest, and Jongup frowns and sighs.

“And here I thought I was a good liar,” he mumbles, looking to the ground. “I’m sorry. Thank you for saving my .”

Daehyun laughs, and Jongup just about dies inside, he’s never heard anything so beautiful.

“So, you don’t actually have a class to get to?”

“No,” Jongup smiles, and rubs the back of his neck. “I’m sorry, again–for running away from you, I mean, I just–” he cuts off abruptly when Daehyun grabs his hand and turns around, dragging Jongup behind him. “Wait, where are we going? What–”

“Calm down,” Daehyun looks over his shoulder. “You’re gonna hang out with me.”

“I…okay?” Jongup clutches the strap of his bag and moves, hesitantly, to walk alongside Daehyun, but when he tries to pull his hand back, Daehyun’s grip only tightens.