Cardboard and Popped Rice

Bluebells

“You were trying to reach for a box of cereal and a whole shelf’s-worth of cereal boxes fell on you here let me help”

Younglo

Warning: mild language (as in there's 2 swear words)


Youngjae decides it is an appropriate time to eternally curse Daehyun’s soul. He’ll need to excommunicate him first, though. Youngjae’s anger only lasts so long, however, vanishing completely when hand is offered to him. Not moving, his eyes follow the length of an arm, go over the curve of a shoulder, maneuver around an adam’s apple, and trail up an undeniably handsome face, lingering on the glinting ring on his left nostril for a moment too long.

Suddenly, Youngjae is thanking his idiot of a friend for having an addiction to Rice Krispies, as he reaches out and tentatively grasps the hand in front of him.

 

Daehyun just had to get sick in the peak of winter. Youngjae stuffed his hands in his coat pockets, having forgotten his gloves on the counter.  Some days he swore his friend was delusional; they lived together, attending the same college and residing off campus, but in all honesty, the guy was a handful. Youngjae was just glad that Daehyun had finally managed to snag someone else to take care of him; that took a load off his shoulders. Though, unfortunately, it was apparently Youngjae’s job to restock Daehyun’s cereal stash. When he had complained about always running errands, Jongup had reassured him that he would go next time, but the poor guy was currently immobilized; Daehyun refusing to let go of his boyfriend. Youngjae honestly had no clue how the younger put up with this. He supposed Jongup was just generally a sweet guy.

“Why can’t I have one of those?” Youngjae grumbled to himself as he tugged his hat back over his ears. Single and lonely as , he liked to refer to himself as.

At least the gentle fall of snow was pretty. It had just begun to leave a light dusting of white along the sidewalk when Youngjae entered the grocery store, wiping the flecks of white ice from his eyelashes and patting his pocket to be sure the folded 5 he had taken from Daehyun’s wallet was still there.

After what seemed like an eternity of walking back and forth through the cereal aisles and nearly giving up and purchasing an off-brand version of Daehyun’s beloved Rice Krispies, he finally spotted the iconic bright blue boxes. More than 20 of them, he estimated, and on the highest possible shelf. Wonderful.

8 Foot Shelves vs. a whole 5’10” Yoo Youngjae.

He knew it was stupid. He knew that nothing good could possibly come with a running jump to knock a single box of Rice Krispies off of a shelf.

But Youngjae did it anyway.

Well, he tried.
And found himself on the floor, drowning in a pile of cereal boxes, as someone rounded the corner.

“Whoa!”

 

And so here he is, sitting in a pond of cardboard and popped rice, staring at the face of a young man he’s never seen before.
“Um…” the guy states awkwardly, glancing at his hand, which has been in Youngjae’s for a solid minute. “Here, let me help you up.”
“Yeah,” Youngjae responds intelligently, letting the other pull him to his feet, stumbling over cardboard boxes and nearly falling into him. There are little bits of popped rice in his hair, and the movement sends them tumbling down, across his shoulders.
“Are you okay? That was quite an interesting scene to see on my first day here,” the other man scratches the back of his head, awkwardly pulling his hand from Youngjae’s.
“Yeah,” Youngjae repeats.
“That’s good…I’ll take care of the mess; did you need some help getting one of those? Oh, I’m Junhong, by the way,” he says, pointing to his nametag and then back towards where there are still a few unharmed boxes of Rice Krispies on the shelf.
“Yeah.”
Junhong flashes Youngjae a small, amused smile, the right corner of his mouth quirking up a bit higher and revealing a dimple.
Youngjae ignored that.
Kind of.
Junhong reaches up and easily snags a box of the cereal, turning and holding it out to Youngjae, that smile still on his face. It’s then that Youngjae notices how tall the other is; he has to be over 6 feet.

Damn.

“What?”

 

Fin.

thank you for reading. :) let me know if you enjoyed!xx