Chapter 19

At 2 in the morning



When Kihyun happily jumps back into the living room, Jooheon and Changkyun, still groggy from last night's trip have joined Hoseok in front of the TV, blankets and pillows all around them, water and painkillers on the table.

" We're going on a trip!"

Jooheon lifts his head to look at him and instantly seems to regret the movement. He groans in pain an sinks back into his pillow. " We do?"

"Yes!", Kihyun exclaims excitedly. " I just called my boss and he's lending us his van so we can all go together."

" Coffee shop boss?", Changkyun asks whilst massaging his temples. " Isn't he a huge ?"

Kihyun shakes his head. " No. He's still an . My former boss from the bookstore. He's so kind-hearted. Even though I had to quit there I just had to cry a bit about my oh so sick kidneys and my sad life with dialysis and he gave it to me with--"

"Kihyun!" Hoseok gasps but Jooheon nods in approval. " I would have done the same."

" It's not like I can get anything else out of it so let me play the pitiful invalid once.", Kihyun takes a seat on the couch. " What do you think about it? Tomorrow is Sunday. We can go to the beach."

Jooheon nods heavily, his headache almost forgotten." Yeah! Let's go!"

"I'm not too sure.", Hoseok seems undecided. " Are you well enough for a trip?"

" I'm not planning to run a marathon."

" Still-"

" Let's go without him, hyung."

" Of course I'm going with you!" Hoseok crosses his arms on front of his chest and pouts slightly, looking adorable as always.

Changkyun joins the conversation. " A day out of Seoul could be good for all of us."

Hoseok gives him the look but refrains from giving any remark when he catches Kihyuns pleading look.

" So it's set?"

"We need to ask the others first but I guess yes."

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

 

It is early in the morning, and in difference to every other Sunday Hoseoks apartment bustles. Minhyuk and Kihyun slept over tonight.

" Insulin?"

"Yes."

"Blood pressure pills?"

"Yes."

"Emergency pass?"

"Yes."

Minhyuk nods in approval. " Did you bring your scarf?"

"It's almost april." Kihyun whines but Minhyuk stays strict. " I don't care. It could still be cold at the beach and you can't catch a cold."

Kihyun mutters something under his breath and walks into the hallway to get his shoes. He runs into Hyungwon.

" Hyung?"

"Hm?"

"Do you have your insulin?"

"Yes."

"Ans the blood pressure pills."

"Also."

"Your emergency pass?"

Kihyun sighs but keeps any comment inside because he knows they mean well. " Everything packed."

Hyungwon nods. " Good. Take a scarf with you. You can't catch a cold."

Kihyun gladly notices how excited the boy looks. He wonders when the last time was they went on a trip. He himself can't remember his last one. Hoseok currently puts on his shoes with a still sleepy Hyunwoo next to him.

" Kihyun. Did you pack yo--"

"Insulin, blood pressure pills, emergency pass and a scarf?"

Hoseok smiles knowingly and Kihyun runs his finger through his blonde hair before he joins them in putting on their shoes.

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

 

"Okay. Tell me once again why HE is driving instead of me?"

Minhyuk turns in the front seat to throw an exaggerated look into the behind of the car.

" I drive perfectly fine!" Jooheon objects and Minhyuk scoffs. " You can barely reach the pedal with your seat that far behind and why do you wear glasses? The sun is not even shining. You think this is American hustle life?"

"Be nice, Minhyuk." Kihyun intervenes from where he is sitting between Hoseok and Hyunwoo.

" No! Go tell him hyung!" Changkyun drowns him out from his seat in the last row. He seems to have more experience with Joohoens driving style.

" I'm keeping an eye on you.", Minhyuk motions with two fingers at him. " Try to speed and you sat there for the longest time."

"You're mean."

Minhyuk shows his tongue but still affectionately ruffles his hand through Jooheons hair before the younger starts the car.

" You've got some colour back in your face." Hoseok pokes Kihyuns cheek.

" I'm excited."

Changkyuns head appears between their seats. "Woah, he's right hyung."

Kihyun smacks his forehead. " Seatbelt!"

Changkyun mutters something under his breath but still does as he was told.

It is quiet the comfortable trip for everyone. Minhyuk threatens to kill Jooheon only once when the younger - in his opinion- breaks too late in front of a red traffic light.
Kihyun juts ignores their rants. He is too busy playing travel games with Hoseok and every time a yellow car passes by the first one to see it is allowed to pinch the others nose. Hyunwoo happily looks out of the window, music in his ears while Hyungwon takes a nap in the back.

Hoseok has his first existential crisis of the day when Minhyuk turns on the music after Changkyun asked him to and they start to sing along. Apparently he didn't know that Kihyun could sing pretty well.

" I feel like the worst boyfriend ever." he fusses.

" It's just singing."

"But you're doing it ing great and I didn't know!"

Kihyun laughs and pats his cheeks. " I forgive you."

"Your favourite colour is blue, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"I need to make sure not everything I know about you is a lie."

"You know me well, trust me." Kihyun assures and pats his cheek.

It doesn't take too long for them to reach the beach. Just the right distance to have a short nap but not to feel bored.

" Annndddd… we're there."

Jooheon parks the car and pulls Kihyun out of his light slumber. He stretches himself with a yawn and tries to orient himself with his still hazy senses.

" I can sea the beach!", Changkyun calls from the backseat. " Hyung! We need to get out!"

Hyunwoo opens the side door and climbs outside.

" Let's go."

Hoseok gently pushes Kihyun to the door.  He prepares himself for the cold but when he is outside he realises that it is quiet nice. Sure, the light wind is still cold but with their jackets on and in the sunlight it feels comfortably warm.

" Do you smell the salt?" Minhyuk asks into the crowd and takes in a deep breath.

Hyungwon wrinkles his nose. " It's smells like dead fish."

"You smell like dead fish."

Hyungwon gives him the look and Jooheon precautionally takes a step back.

" I'm hungry.", Minhyuk emphasises with a hand on his stomach. " Let's go over to the promenade and eat something."

"I want c--"

Minhyuk glares at Kihyun.

"No."

Hoseok looks from one to another. " What no?"

"Kihyun has this strange addiction of eating chicken at the beach."

" Hyung…" Changkyun looks almost disgusted but Kihyun only shrugs. " It tastes good."

" I want fish!" Jooheon exclaims.

Hyungwon elbows his side. "Kalguksu."

Changkyun rolls his eyes. "Eat kalguksu in Seoul."

" What if I want kalguksu at the beach?"

Minhyuk butts in.

" Guys. Listen to this.", he eagerly looks at each one of them. . " Steak."

"Fish!"

" Chicken!"

"Kalguksu…"

" Everything except chicken and kalguksu!"

They end up eating pizza, because Hoseok and Hyunwoo decided they gathered enough attention at the parking spot. And even though there is the occasional whining and Kihyun even thought about bringing up the kidney free pass for a second because he isn't that much into pizza, but in the end all of them are happily eating.  They leave the restaurant around noon and take a stroll down the promenade. There are a lot of shops and the younger can barely contain themselves as they run from one window to another. Kihyun first trito keep up with them but soon he is out of breath and waits for Hoseok to reach him. He holds out his hand, Hoseok takes it and pulls him with him.

" That ." Kihyun mutters.

Hoseok squeezes his hand. " Give your body a break."

" I feel like the grandpa of the group."

"You'll forever be the mother."

Kihyun furrows his brows but can't glare too long at the other when his boyfriend smiles like that.

" You're doing okay?" Hyunwoo asks from the side.

Kihyun nods.

Yes, aside from his short breath he is feeling okay.

" The air is nice. And the sun.

They walk along the whole Promenade. There are stairs down to the beach and they finally end up in the sand.
Kihyun prepared blankets and sandwiches for the others which Hyunwoo carried in a bag and when everyone is running around and while Jooheon tries to throw Minhyuk in the ocean he prepares a seating area for them. He turns his back to them when it is time for another shot and when he is finished just stays on the blanket and enjoys the sight of Hoseok barely escaping a wave when Hyunwoo found it funny to push him.

Yes, it definitely feels great being here.

He chuckles when Changkyun falls face first into the sand. .

Almost like a parent watching the children.

He really wants to join them but he can't.

His features darken only the slightest, a sad feeling tugging on the corners of his smile. The walk alone was enough exercise for him. He doesn't think he can manage to play around with them like that and the feeling ... a lot.

" Not that face."

He didn't see that Hoseok jogged over and only notices the others presence when he already sits on the blanket next to him.

" What are you talking about?"

" I might didn't know that you're a great singer but--", Hoseok affectionately pokes the tip of his nose. " -- I can see when you're not feeling well. And now you look quiet sentimental and I don't like that."

" I wasn't sentimental."

"You were."

"Okay. I was.", Kihyuns Hand runs through the sand. " I wanted to play with all of you but I can't run around without collapsing. It for a second."

"It does."

They stay like that next to each other, both lost in their thoughts as they look out at the ocean.

" You can be sad and annoyed and pity yourself from time to time. That is perfectly okay. I don't want you to be strong all day."

Kihyun  glances up.

" But never forget that you're doing so well and that so many people care about you and that things don't look too bad."

" You turn more and more into my therapist."

Hoseok looks at him sideways and smiles before he leans in for a short peck.

"I love you."

Sometimes words aren't enough for Kihyun. For telling Hoseok how much he really means to him they will never be enough either way. So he leans against him, takes in the warmth of his body and decides that, yes, today really is okay.

 

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

 

 

Kihyun can't help but feel watched the following weeks. It started with a strange feeling as soon as he leaves the house. He felt stupid to look over his shoulder all the time so he just let it go but soon the occasional feeling becomes more and more frequent until he truly believes there is something wrong with his head.

" I feel like someone is stalking me." he tells Minhyuk on their way to the hospital on one of his dialysis days.

" How come?"

"I have the feeling someone is watching me. And that has been happening for days now."

Minhyuk furrows his brow and takes a look at their surroundings.

" Now, too?"

"I don't know. You're here, I'm distracted."

"I think it is your imagination."

"But it feels so real."

Minhyuk pats his shoulder. " Who would want to stalk you?"

"Yeah, you're rig-- Minhyuk!", he jogs after his friend who kept walking as he stopped in his tracks. " Take this serious!"

Minhyuk slings an arm around Kihyuns shoulder. "Hyun. I promise you if there is someone following you I will kick whoever is doing it into oblivion. But seriously, who would want to stalk you? You did nothing wrong."

Kihyun chews on his lip. " Maybe you're right…"

"Of course I am. And now hurry up or well be too late."

They get there just in time. Kihyun gets the weighing process over like always and soon he is connected to the machine again. The new round of  barely started when Kihyun already pulls out a folder.

Minhyuk eye it. " What's that?"

" Bills. We need to check our expenses."

"Here?"

" I will be in this bed for the next hours, so yes."

Minhyuk throws a longing gaze to the manga in his bag. " But you promised we would start reading it."

" That was before I realised one month is already over and we need to get an overview."

Minhyuk eventually agrees and they make a table out of all their income and their expenses, including the parts of Kihyuns therapy costs that aren't covered by his insurance. The result doesn't look as bad as Kihyun thought but still makes him quit restless.

" It's good, Kihyun. Were able to pay everything even though you could only keep one job."

Kihyun doesn't feel great at all. " But we can't save anything."

" Saving isn't the most important at the moment. At least we can cover the rent and the therapy."

Kihyun rubs his forehead and almost accidentally rips out the needle in his arm. " Only the smallest thing has to come up and we're ruined. What if we need to get some repairs?"

" We'll figure it out."

"We need to buy new things from time to time."

"Kihyun.", Minhyuk emphasizes. " I promise you we will figure it out. Calm down."

"This ." Kihyun falls back into his pillow and stares at the ceiling. " I can't come up with any solution. I don't have the time to work another job. And even if I had... I'm not sure my body could take it at the moment."

Minhyuk coughs slightly and has all of his attention. Kihyun peeks at him. " What was that cough?"

"What cough?"

"That cough.", Kihyun supports himself on his elbows. " What are you hiding?"

" Me? Nothing."

" Lee Minhyuk." Kihyun threatens.

Minhyuk hems and haws for a bit before he comes out with it. " I had a longer conversation with Hoseok about the financial situation. In secret because we both know you hate it when he tries to help out."

"And?"

" Well… he kind of had an idea that didn't sound too bad actually."

"That would be?"

Minhyuk carefully eyes him. " How about moving in with them?"

This is not what Kihyun expected.

" Like… both of us living with them?"

Encouraged by his calm reaction Minhyuk continues.

" See.", he explains. " Both of us more or less spent a lot of time there. There is enough space since you of course will sleep in Hoseoks room and I can either way sleep on the couch or in Hyunwoos room. If he'd finally realize but that is a story for another day. We can still pay rent but a lot less."

" This sounds like it is already decided."

Minhyuk shakes his head. " No. But Hoseok loves the idea and it would also be an relief for me. We wouldn't have to worry too much.  And it wouldn't forever. I graduate soon and when I have a proper job I will earn more and we can discuss things again. What do think?"

" I...", Kihyun responds slowly. "... will think about it later."

 

 

 

 

 


OOO
 

 

 

 

 

There isn't too much time for Kihyun to think about it right after his dialysis. He is tired after the session and falls asleep as soon as his head touches the table. The next morning, he has an early shift in the coffee shop and even though it is not even eleven yet the room is full of people.

On top of that, the fact that Chihwan shows up in the entrance when he is just cleaning the windows isn't helping his thinking process.

Not at all.

He just wanted to start to clean the last window when Chihwan struts in.

Kihyun stops deadly in his tracks. He hasn't seen the guy since that one night he decided it would be a good idea to throw Kihyun into the wall and Kihyun would have happily lived without meeting him ever again.

" What do you want?" he asks hostile. He is not scared, not anymore. There are so many people around and the anger he all of sudden feels gives him the necessary strength to stand his ground.

" I have something to tell you."

There isn't a lot of Chihwans usual confidence left. He seems nervous, almost a tiny bit scared as his eyes wander around the shop.

" Is he here?"

"You mean my boyfriend?"

Chihwan nods timidly.

" I don't know why I should tell you. Now leave. I don't want you here."

"Kihyun. Please. I know I messed up and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't urgent."

His hand reaches out for Kihyun but he stops his movement the last second.

Kihyun grabs the broom he leaned against the window earlier. He gazes through the shop. Minhyuk is still in the staff room. Hopefully he won't come out that soon or all hell will break loose.

" I'm not here to do anything to you." Chihwan had noticed his gaze.

" I'm sorry if I get a tiny bit uncomfortable around you."

"Your… boyfriend made clear what's going to happen to me if I get too close once again."

" Then why did you show up?"

"To make up for it."

The uncomfortable feeling gets worse by the second.

" There are people looking… for your boyfriend."

Kihyun pricks up his ears. " What do you mean?"

Chihwan takes a look around and comes a small step closer, his voice almost a whisper when he keeps talking. " Like I said. People are looking for them around the area. They look like bad business."

" Why would--"

"I don't know. But I came here to tell you. Kihyun. Those guys you keep hanging around lately… they're bad news."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I want to tell you that your so called boyfriend is dangerous. You need to keep away from him."

Something snaps in Kihyuns head and with all the strength he can muster he lunges out and smacks his broom right into Chihwans private parts. Said one exhales a painful groan, a few people from tables close by look up bit Kihyuns petite figure and his cute smile let them loose attention soon. Chihwan hunches over, hands holding his when Kihyuns puts the vroom next to him like Triton trident.

" Listen, face. My boyfriend never once did anything remotely dangerous. He never harmed me in any way and there is no one I feel more save and secure with. And now you, who went as far as harassing me in a back alley, is showing up here, trying to tell me I should be scared of the person that I trust most?"

Chihwan glares at him. " I'm trying to make things up to you!"

"The only thing you're doing is making your way out of here!", Kihyun takes a step closer and Chihwan flinches. " Preferably now."

"I warned you, Kihyun."

" off."

A last glance and Chihwan disappears through the door.

Kihyun exhales the breath that he has been holding in for far too long. His legs feel shaky and he needs to take a seat at a nearby table.

" I just saw something hilarious."

He lifts his gaze when Minhyuk joins him at the table.

" I just thought I saw Chihwan leaving this shop.", he laughs out loud. " I must get old."

Kihyun gives him a look and the laughter gets stuck in Minhyuks throat.

 

 

 

 


OOO

 

 

 

 

 

They are over for dinner at Hoseoks apartment.

Kihyun has been quiet all day long, lost in his thoughts, trying to bring them in some kind of order. Chihwans words shook him up more than he thought. He noticed a bit later, during his break when he just couldn't get rid of thoughts about the meeting. He fob off Minhyuk with some stupid explanation, but of course the blonde ddidn't believe him. It is only a matter of time until Minhyuk runs out of patience and will demand the truth.
It is not like Kihyun really things about Chihwan stating that Hoseok is dangerous.
He slowly pushes another spoon of rice into his mouth, his gaze on his boyfriend who just let a piece of carrot fall under the table and keeps whining for Jooheon to pick it up for . He chews slowly and swallows the bite.

No.

That isn't the thing that makes him restless.

He meant it when he said that there is no one he feels safer with. Hoseoks love is pure and real, he would never deliberately do something to hurt Kihyun in any way. It is a calming thing to know.

Still.

Who the hell is looking for them? And can he even trust Chihwan? He looked as if he was seriously shaken up, not as if he was telling a lie.

Kihyun scoffs.

Does he really try to find excuses for the ?

But… what if he was right…

What if someone is looking for them? It sounds like bad news and Kihyun can't help but to feel worried.

He shouldn't have thrown Chihwan out like that. First questions, then broom into the nuts.

He sighs in regret, and slumps down slightly. He might would have gotten answers and all of the thinking he is doing at the moment wouldn't have been necessary at all.

There is no helping it.

"Hoseok."

On the spur of the moment he puts his spoon aside.  Hoseok pauses, cheeks full of food, waiting for Kihyun to continue.

" Chihwan showed up in the shop today."

Hoseok chokes on a noodle and desperately starts to cough. Hyunwoo pats his back.

" He what?!" Hoseok finally presses out, tears in his eyes from coughing too much.

" Something about people looking for you and if that is the truth it finally would make sense that I feel watched."

" You do what?!"

He chokes again.

Minhyuk jumps to his feet. " That's what he said?! I knew you were lying!"

" He also told me to stay away from you since apparently you're dangerous."

Hoseoks eyes widen only the more.

" I smacked him with my broom for that and told him to get lost."

Hoseok manages to swallow down the rest of his food. Kihyun is worried about Jooheons chopsticks. The younger holds them quiet… tightly.

" I'm going to kill him."

"I'll gladly support you!" Minhyuk yells.

Hoseok doesn't say anything but the glimmer in his eyes shows that he most probably won't stop neither Jooheon nor Minhyuk.

" Did I… upset you now?" Kihyun asks carefully. He really had hoped it wouldn't turn out like this but his friends temper never seem to disappoint.

" Hyungwon.", Hoseok says lowly. " Bring the Soju. I need a shot."

 

 

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

 

" That's it, Kihyun. I'm not letting you out anymore."

Kihyun lifts an eyebrow. " I don't think that is the solution."

" I don't care.", Hoseok shifts another shot.. " It's like problems are looking for you."

"Could somebody support me here?" Kihyun asks into the crowd.

" Well… he is right." Jooheon says slowly.

" I'm going to kick everyone who mentions to lock me in once more." Kihyun threatens dryly and it seems to work.

At least a bit.

Hoseok still looks like he wants to try.

" So, you're telling me just showed up to tell you that people are looking for us?"

"That's what he said.", Kihyun rubs his neck. " But I'm not too sure if we can trust him."

"We can't trust him a all!", Minhyuk states. " And that's why you shouldn't worry about it. That only wants your attention."

"He's right, hyung. Who would be looking for us? And why? The only one I can think about is Taesan but there is no reason for him. If he wanted to find us he wouldn't have to ask around." Jooheon says facing Hoseok.

The older wipes over his eyes in deep distress. "  I just know this is upsetting me a whole lot. Kihyun. You're sure about feeling watched outside?"

Kihyun draws invisible lines on the table with his finger. " Now that were talking about it like this… I'm not too convinced anymore."

" No matter if there is someone watching you or not. The thing we can be sure about is that Chihwan showed up where Kihyun works and I'm going to kick his for that.", Minhyuk says grimly. " Who's in?"

Everyone.

But Kihyun isn't paying too much attention anymore since he noticed how Hyungwon whispers to Hoseok and Hyunwoo on the other end of the table.

 

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

 

 

After taking a shower and getting dressed, Kihyun sits down on Hoseoks bed, towel still on his head.

" What did Hyungwon tell you earlier?"

"What do you mean?"

Hoseok starts pulling out the piercings in his ear.

" Earlier at the table."

"That…" he responds slowly. He pulls the last piercing out and leaves all of them on his desk.

" He wondered if Changkyun plays a part in this."

"How come?"

"Move over."

Kihyun does as he was asked, Hoseok sits down and gently starts to dry Kihyuns hair with the towel.

" We believe that someone from old businesses saw him working in the bar and tries to find us now. I told him this could possible happen. He thought changing hair colours was enough to hide us."

"Hair colours?" Kihyun asks in sudden curiosity.

Hoseok takes his mobile from the nightstand and looks threw a few folders until he finds what he was looking for.

" Here."

Kihyun smiles brightly when he looks at the group photo of them.

" You look great with dark hair."

"I always do."

Kihyun elbows him gently and looks at the other faces. " Changkyun was blonde. I like it better now."

Hoseok slings an arm around his shoulder and leans into Kihyun until his boyfriend looked at all the pictures.

Kihyun feels his gaze on him.

He looks at Hoseok. " What's wrong?"

Hoseok hugs him with a deep sigh. " I love you. And the mere thought of someone following you around out there makes me feel sick."

"Shouldn't I be worried sick about you?"

"I'm used to it. But you… are an outsider.", Hoseok kisses him gently. " I feel like everything and everyone is trying to take you away from me."

" No one is."

"It feels like it.", Hoseok is back to hugging him. " Changkyun needs to quit that job as soon as possible. Hyungwon might be talking to him at the moment."

" Hmm." Kihyun hums, for the moment content in his boyfriends arms.

" Minhyuk said he mentioned a few things to you." Hoseok says all of sudden.

"For example?" Kihyun slowly runs his fingers over Hoseoks back.

" Both of you moving in with us."

He stops the motion.

" He did."

"What do you think about it?"

Kihyun softly pushes him back so there is a bit of distance between them.

" I'd love to move in."

Hoseok furrows his brow. " That doesn't sound like you're finished."

Kihyun tries to find the right words to express his feelings about the situation.

"I'd really love to move in but... I'm worried about the reasons for it."

"The reasons for it?"

" I…" Kihyun is still embarrassed to talk about his feelings a lot of times. Hoseok is doing so much better with it.

" I … want you to... want me to move in because... you want to wake up next to me every morning. And eat together and.. spend more time with each other. If the reason is that I worry you too much… then I don't want to."

He would love nothing more than moving in.

How couldn't he?

It is about living together with Hoseok they are talking about.

But still… It saddens him to see how much the other worries about him and he is scared that soon their relationship will consist of nothing but it.

" I hate how uneasy I make you feel all the time. I can do nothing against it. I'd rather… make you feel happy."
"But you do.", Hoseok slings his arms around Kihyun and pulls him down on the bed with him, a stupid grin on his face. " Seriously. Do you even know how much more happy I am since having you by my side?"

Kihyun plays with the hem of Hoseoks shirt. " You always seem so upset."

"I will always be if it concerns you. Wouldn't you be?"

"Of course I would be."

" Would feel unhappy the same time?"

"No... the reason for being worried about you is because I love you."

Hoseok chuckles . " I would want you to move in even if you were the healthiest billionaire out there. Of course, helping you out is great but… you really think I only do this out of pity and worry? There is nothing that would make me more happy than having you here and that is the main reason."

Kihyun feels embarrassed all of sudden for having misinterpreted things so much and hides his face in Hoseoks chest.

" You're… the best thing that could have happened to me." he mumbles, meaning every word of it and still trying to fight the blush on his cheeks.

" And you just killed me."

Hoseok kisses the still wet top of his hair.

"Still.", his voice becomes serious. " I know I can get overboard but please be careful, Kihyun. Promise me."

" I promise."

But sadly, sometimes the world doesn't care for promises.