Chapter 14

At 2 in the morning

 

 

 

Kihyuns head hurts.

Seriously hurts and he wants to do nothing more than to hide under a blanket and forget his headache and the fact that Changkyun just went into that building.

" Please tell me this is not where Hongbin worked."

Minhyuk still isn't able to close his mouth. " This is definitely where he worked."

"Then please tell me there is a dentist in the same building."

" As far as I know…"

" Don't say it." Kihyun lifts his hand and successfully keeps Minhyuk from saying it out loud. He leans against a nearby fence, keeping his gaze on the building across the street.

" Don't tell me he is doing ?"

"Well… he could be a customer."

"No way. He's not a lonely rich grandma with too many cats. Oh , Minhyuk.", Kihyun hangs his hand. " What do we do now? My baby..."

Minhyuk shrugs, once in his life time lost for words. " Can we even do anything?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well… he's legal."

"I'm not letting him do that kind of work no matter what the reason it is. No way. You remember Hongbins stories. He almost cried when he was finally able to leave. Remember Four finger Jessy!"

Minhyuk shivers. " Don't remind me of her."

" I'm going in!" Kihyun states but he isn't able to even set a foot on the street before Minhyuk holds him back by his collar.

" You can't just go in."

"Why can't I?"

Minhyuk keeps him in place with two hands on his shoulders. " First of all, we don't even know if he is working there for real."

"He just went in!"

" He could be a customer..."

" Excuse me?! Didn't we just establish th--"

"I know.  Calm down. Still. Second of all, he is an adult. We cannot just storm into his workplace."

" We need to save him!"

" We don't know that."

Kihyun gasps and decides to walk a few steps up and down. He ruffles a hand through his hair, thinking for a second. " Why are you the one keeping calm?"

" Your  motherly instincts which I don't have kick in."

"What would you suggest?"

" Going home?"

"Going home?!" Kihyun repeats a bit too loudly and agitated.

" Kihyun, listen. We cannot go inside and you are freezing. I can see so don't try to hide it. We should talk to him in a quiet atmosphere. Not here."

The words slowly sink in and Kihyun knows that Minhyuk is right. Still, he doesn't like the thought of just leaving.

" You think it's fine?"

"Another day won't hurt."

And after a bit more of discussing they decide to leave.

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

 

Hoseok already told him a million times that he doesn't have to call or text before he is coming over, but Kihyun keeps doing so and almost drives Hoseok into oblivion.
He just feels… like an intruder if he comes over without notice beforehand even if Hoseok assures him that he would happily have him around 24/7. Of course, Hoseok can show up at his home without further notice…. But the other way around.

No way.

Minhyuk says he has a stick up his .

Hoseok says one day he will change his mind.

Kihyun keeps doing his thing.

Still, Hoseoks smile can't be brighter as he later opens the door for the two boys and pulls Kihyun in a tight hug.

" Kihyun~ I missed you."

He takes a step back and eyes him." Why are you freezing? Don't you have a warmer jacket ?"

" Yes. Hello, too." Minhyuk playfully sulks. Hoseok pats his shoulder with a laugh when he releases Kihyun.

"Sorry Minhyuk."

"I'm fine. I know in your lala Kihyun country is no place for me.", he walks inside and leaves his shoes next to the entrance.  " Hyunwoo! Attention!"

Kihyun shakes his head as Minhyuk jogs into the living room.

Hoseok pulls him inside and closes the door. He's already in his chill out attire.

" Don't you have work tomorrow work?"

"Yes.", Kihyun pulls off his shoes. " But I wanted to see you."

Hoseok happily kisses him. Kihyun already feels a lot calmer after being next to him.

" Hoseok..." Kihyun starts slowly.

" Yes?"

" There is something, I..."

He pauses.

Hoseok looks so relaxed and so happy to see his boyfriend that from one moment to another Kihyun decides that he won't tell him today what he found out this afternoon. Maybe he will talk him only after speaking to Changkyun. The younger hates it when the others mother him too much... maybe he will be angry at Kihyun if he doesn't give him the chance to explain things first.

" Yes?" Hoseok keeps waiting for him to continue but Kihyun just pats his arm with a smile.

"Nothing."

It will be fine.

He will talk to Changkyun later and the bring Hoseok into the loop.

" What have you been up to?" he asks instead. Hoseok takes his hand and guides him through the small hallway to the living room.

" Soju."

"Soju?"

"Hyung!" Jooheon greets him as they walk inside, a bottle in his hand.

" Soju." Hoseok repeats.

" I wanted to try the blueberry kind for a long while now.", Jooheon eagerly explains. " Hyungwon brought a few bottles today. Samples."

The tall one on the couch, sandwiched between Minhyuk and Hyungwon lifts his hand in defence when Kihyun looks at him. " Don't kill me. They asked me to."

Kihyun chuckles. " It's okay. You can drink."

"But…", Hoseok eyes him from the side. " You can't."

"Yes. Medicine and alcohol don't go well together."

" I feel bad when you can't join in."

Kihyun takes his hand in his. " I'm fine. Just drink. I don't like Soju either way."

They eye him for a bit longer until he takes the matter into his own hands and opens the first bottle.

" But not too much. It's a weekday."

"Of course not!" Jooheon agrees with his dimples showing.

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

 

Of course they drink too much.

Close to eleven, Kihyun is the only sober one in the room.

Hoseoks only turns more adorable when he is drunk Kihyun finds out soon. After approximately four shots lightweight Hoseok is far down the road and his frequently encountered infatuation with  everything that has to do with Kihyun grows only the more.

" That mole.", he lulls and pokes Kihyun temple with his finger. " It's cute."

Kihyun chuckles when his boyfriend hiccups.

" It's just a mole."

"Everything about you is cute." Hoseok leans over until his for head rests against Kihyuns shoulder.

" Do you want to go to bed?" Kihyun asks and runs his finger through Hoseoks soft hair.

" No.", the other whines without lifting his head. " I want to spend more time with you."

"I can sleep over."

"Awake.", Hoseok possessively circles is arms around Kihyuns waist. " Dream Kihyun is half as great as real Kihyun."

For the millionth time, Kihyuns heart spills with love for his boyfriend. How in God's name he deserved this beautiful being, he still doesn't understand. He leans closer until his cheek rests against Hoseoks hair.

" I love you, drunkard. " he whispers, so only the blonde can hear. Hoseok sits upright, the biggest smile on his face, eyes half closed.

" Ahh… seriously.", Kihyun laughs and pats his cheek. " You need to sleep or you can't work tomorrow."

" I'm jealous." drunk Minhyuk calls over from the couch where he is resting his head in Hyunwoos lap. Kihyun isn't too sure about the drunkenness level of the oldest but it seemed like he was humming theopening of Digimon earlier so he might be doing pretty well.

" You're jealous?!", a suddenly wide awake Hoseok exclaims. " I am! You're so close to my Kihyun!"

He protectively pulls Kihyun closer, a wobbly matter since he doesn't really notice what he is doing.

" Yes. I'll always be the closest. Deal with it."

"Minhyuk. Be nice."

" Okay…", his friend more or less agrees. " I.… like you more than the others. I really do."

Hoseoks eyes widen. " The others?"

Kihyun face palms.

" Do you remember… hmmm", Minhyuk furrows his brows. " What was his name?"

" I don't think you--"

" Jihoon."

Hoseoks eyes widen. " Jihoon?"

"Six pack Ji Ji." Minhyuk giggles on the couch and Kihyun wonders how long it takes to choke him with a pillow.

" He was hot… but dumb as a piece of bread."

Hoseok looks as if his soul just left his body. Even his lower lip quivers.

" Hoseok…", Kihyun says. " This is no reason to freak out."

"I'm not."

"That's good."

Hoseok doesn't look like it and Kihyun can't help but too laugh. He pulls Hoseok in for a hug. " Didn't we establish I'm the one who has to be jealous?"

Hoseok sniffs loudly. " Don't leave me for Sixpack Ji Ji."

"God, Hoseok. How much did you drink?"

"Promise me."

Grimly, he lifts his finger and he looks so adorable that Kihyun can't help but to link their pinkies.  " Not for Ji Ji or for anyone else."

" Hyung! No matter how hot Ji Ji is, I'm on your side!" Jooheon yells over from where he is sitting with Hyungwon,  glass long gone and drinking out of the bottle. Hyungwon fell asleep a while ago, and when

Kihyun looks at him for a moment, he finds himself wishing for all of the to fall asleep.

Preferably fast.

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

It never occurred to Kihyun that the clock in the living room is terrible annoying. Only now that he lies there in the dark, a sleeping Hoseok by his side under the blanket on the floor he realises how loud the ticking noise is.

Not that he could sleep anyway.

Changkyun is still not home and it is close to one in the morning.

Absentmindedly Kihyun runs his fingers through Hoseoks hair. Now that Minhyuk is also asleep, he has to take things into his own hands. But… how should he start things? Or would it be better to wait until morning to discuss things with the youngest?

He sighs deeply and wipes over his eyes. He is so tired but he wants to at least know that Changkyun is back home, safe and sound.  

Jooheons mobile goes off on the table.

He grumbles in his sleep and turns away. The blanket that Kihyun tucked him into slips from his  shoulders and exposes skin. It feels colder only by looking at him. Kihyun is sure by now that not even an earthquake would wake the younger.

None of them.

They will be knocked out until the morning.

The ringing stops only to continue a few seconds after.

It happens two more times before Kihyun decides that it might be urgent.

He carefully pushes Hoseoks arm away from his stomach and moves out of the comfortable blanket. The ringing stops again when he reaches it. For a moment he stares at the dark screen and once again someone calls.

Hyorin.

Kihyun furrows his brows. Not a name he ever heard around the boys.

" Jooheon…" he pokes the youngers side.

No reaction.

" Jooheon. Someone keeps calling you... It seems to be urgent."

Still dead.

Kihyun considers ignoring the caller for a moment but then decides against it and answers.

" Hello?"

"Jooheon! Why didn't you answer?" A hectic female voice answers.

" Ehm. I'm sorry but this is not Jooheon."

Silence on the other end before the woman speaks up again.

" Who is there?" she asks carefully."

"I'm Kihyun.", he rubs the back of his neck, unsure of what to say. " I'm sorry. Jooheon drank a bit too much and he's asleep like a rock. I normally don't do this but since you've called a lot of times I thought it must be urgent."

" Kihyun? Jooheon talked about you."

The sound of cars.

She seems to be outside.

"Can I help you out with something?"

"Well…"

She sounds… unwell.

Almost scared.

" Jooheon helped me out… a lot already. And he said I could contact him when there is a problem.", she stops for a moment. " Actually… it's late and I don't have anywhere to go…"

" You're outside alone?"

"Yes… my landlord threw me out. I...", she takes a deep breath as if to suppress tears. " I don't even know why I'm telling you this. You don't know me."

" Jooheon is my friend so…", he casts a gaze at the sleeping pile of people in the living room. Hyungwon stirs in his sleep and Kihyun walks further away in order not to disturb their sleep.

" Where are you now?"

"Close to where Jooheon lives."

"Do you want to come inside?"

An awkward silence before she answers. " I don't think Hoseok or Hyunwoo would be too thrilled about it."

Yes.

There was something.

So she was the one the boys were fighting about a while ago. Now Kihyun regrets that he wasn't more nosy and tried to figure out more about it.

" Still. If you say you have nowhere to go… how about meeting outside? Maybe I can help you out?"

" You don't have to--"

"You wouldn't have called if it wasn't urgent, would you?"

Her silence is answer enough and a minute later Kihyun is in the elevator on his way down.

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

To: Changkyun

Are you coming home soon?

 

 

Kihyun shoves his mobile back into his pocket and fastly walks down the road to where the girl waits.

Seems like he has to postpone his talk with Changkyun.

A few minutes later he sees someone in the light of a street lamp.

" Hyorin?" He asks as he comes closer and realises in surprise that he is standing in front of  the girl he talked to on the bench next to the subway station.

She seems to notice as well.

" Hello, Kihyun."

She tries to smile but even the night can't hide the dark circles under her eyes.

" Thanks for coming out, especially since you don't know me."

"It's dark, late and cold. I would be a horrible person if I wouldn't."

He is not too sure what to do now, just knows that she looks horribly pale and too thin.

" You said your landlord threw you out?"

She nods, gaze to the ground. " I wasn't able to… pay the rent the third time in a row."

Kihyun feels so sorry for her.

" Jooheon. He…", she laughs awkwardly. " I'm actually really embarrassed about it but some times I'm not able to buy food…He does for me."

" Are you dating?"

She hurriedly shakes her head. " No, no. It's more like… a brother and sister relationship. I was… with them when we were still… doing business. Jooheon said you know about it."

" Yes. Hoseok told me.".

" You're dating him."

Something flickers in her eyes and Kihyun doesn't like it at all. She seems to have noticed and smiles in apology. " I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"It's… a habit. I dated him a while ago until it didn't work out anymore."

It doesn't feel too great to have this beautiful woman in front of him, talking about having dated his equally handsome boyfriend.

No.

It doesn't feel great at all.

But Kihyun sees himself on the more rational side of things.

Well… most of the times if it doesn't include Changkyuns love life and dirty shoes on his floor.

He knows that Hoseok is with him now, and his boyfriend has all of his trust.

So. Yes.

Even though it stings a tiny bit it is not a reason to freak out.

" Please don't take it the wrong way. I'm not trying anything… it has been years..." she says, uncertainty in her voice.

Kihyun smiles. " I'm okay. We all have a past and it's not like I'm going to chop off your head for being my boyfriends ex - girlfriend. Even though I'd be happier if you were not that pretty."

She seems to relax after hearing his friendly spoken words.

" Now that we have established that.", Kihyun takes his mobile out and checks the time. " We need to get you out of the cold. It's pretty late."

" It really is okay--"

" Since a few people wouldn't be too happy when you come to the apartment - ", he makes a mental note to ask Hoseok about what the hell happened between them " --do you want to come to my home?"

She looks undecided.

He awkwardly rubs the back of his neck. " I know we have never met before and it might be a bit scary to go home with me. But you shouldn't be outside at the moment and I can't think of a better solution right now so… you don't have to be scared of me. Really."

"I'm not scared of you. Jooheon told me enough things about you, so it feels like I already have known you for years."

"He talks about?"

"Totally smitten by you. He says Hoseok is never allowed to leave you."

" That sounds awfully like him.", Kihyun gently pushes her in direction of the subway station. " Let's get you out of the cold. It's late."