Chapter 11

Blood Stained Roses

Hi guys. I hope you all are doing well after all this time. This chapter was going to be longer but I felt this was a decent place to stop as if give you some insight on certain relationships. I have not given up on this story and I have realized that this story is extremely slow buildup so please continue to work with me. I thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy this  chapter. 

P.S. Feedback is greatly appreciated. I actually look at comments and try to make sure that my story makes sense and is readable

       


“Heung Soo, do you believe in true love?”

       Gii looked through his scope, adjusting it as needed until he could clearly see his target. Heung Soo grunted his response, a sound neither discernable as a yes nor a no.

    “Heung Soo? Heung Soo? Heung Soo?”

    “…”

    “Heung Soo. Heung Soo. Heung Soo. Heung Soooo~oooo. HEUNG SOO!”

    “WHAT?!”

    Heung Soo twisted his head, eyes ablaze with annoyance while Gii chuckled silently. The violent shake of his shoulders being the only proof of his mirth. It wasn’t enough to pull the younger man from his scope, but it did give Heung Soo the rare opportunity to fully view his friend. He watched Gii silently on his teeth, a habit Heung Soo noticed Gii reverted to when he was unsure about something. Which was almost never.

    “I asked you, do you believe in true love?”

    Heung Soo made a big show of shrugging, knowing Gii couldn’t see him but could hear the rustle of his clothing and therefore guess his response.

    The notion of true love made Heung Soo gag. Every time he met a couple on the street or entertained guests who were married, he got a bad taste in his mouth; because more often than not, they insisted that what they had was true love. He didn’t have anything against the notion, but one had to admit it was quite difficult to believe in it when most people who claimed the phenomena ended up getting divorced. He didn’t need statistics or any fancy doctor to give him the numbers. He saw it in all his circles. One day a couple would come and pronounce happiness and true love and the next, he would see them on the news armed to the teeth with big shot lawyers ready to strip the other person they called wife or husband of all they had. There was also the fact that as a businessman, he couldn’t condone such an abstract idea. If one thought about, relationships were all business. His area of expertise. In his world, one needed to build a rapport and gain the others trust. Once those were established, then one could think about having a long-term relationship. Communication and understanding are key, especially for happy relationships. Why else would business partners be willing to deal with each other for so long? Communication and trust. Very business-like indeed if you asked Heung Soo. However, considering his parents were trying to set him up with some alpha stranger, what would he know?

    Finally, he grew tired of staring at Gii and turned, back fully resting on the brick wall.

    “No, I don’t believe in true love. I think two people can come together and make whatever it is they have work.”

    Gii hummed, “Even if one of them is broken? If you’re able to make it work with that one person for a long time, is it true love then?”

    Heung Soo raised a brow. Contemplation and a frown fighting over his features. This was always a soft spot for Gii and he noticed that every once in a while, his friend would ask him something pertaining to love or soulmates. It hadn’t taken long for Heung Soo to understand that Gii was talking about himself and it had taken even shorter time for him to learn to be careful how he answered such questions. If he wasn’t careful, he could end up with one of three types of Gii, each one worse than the last. A mopey friend was never good, while an aggressive and defensive Gii wasn’t any better, but the worst of all had to be the apathetic one. No one wished for a person they cared for to look broken and stripped of all emotions, especially if that wasn’t their natural state.

    Whenever Gii got into this type of talk, Heung Soo couldn’t help but wonder who or what left him with such a distorted view of himself. Unfortunately, only daddy dearest was privy to that information. Gii would occasionally share what his life was like before he came to live with them, whether he shared willingly or let something slip but that seldom happened. From the bits and pieces Heung Soo gathered, wherever the man had come from, there wasn’t time for frivolous things like love, family, and intimacy. In fact, they all seemed like weaknesses. Heung Soo had to admit, even he, a guy who hated the thought that he needed anyone, enjoyed having a mother and father who at least watched out for him. Gii didn’t have that. At least, he thought that was the case based on Gii’s words because his attitude and actions surely did nothing to substantiate that claim.

    Before he spoke, Heung Soo heard a sharp metallic click but opted to ignore it and instead focused on warming his freezing cold hands.

    He growled in displeasure. Why did Gii have to pick the night it would be below freezing? The man constantly watched the news, he should at least have a grasp on what the weather would be. Heung Soo studied Gii for the second time that night. Even in the blistering cold, Gii’s body was relaxed. Well-muscled arms bulged through his long-sleeved thermal shirt that hugged his well-defined form while his calves seemed to poke through his tactical pants. That outfit surely couldn’t be staving off the below negative twenty-five wind chill. Hell, Heung Soo’s own parka was hardly fending off the wind that was somehow digging into his bones.

    Aside from his taste in clothes, Heung Soo was proud of Gii’s transformation. He was completely different from the scruffy and wild boy whose body was smeared with caked on dirt, grime, and other disgusting solids and liquids. Ever since that eleven-year-old boy walked into his life, he would proclaim that his life was better off for it. He would never say that to Gii’s face, but that’s how he felt.

    A small smile found its way to his lips and just like that, a gruff chuckle knocked him out of his reflection forcing him to actually see his hunched over friend instead of looking through him.

    “Oh My God! Heung Soo, are you okay?! Is your face still intact from all that smiling?!” sentimentality. The small smile faltered and was replaced with an annoyed glare at the man he thought of as his brother.

    “You won’t be intact when I’m done with you, you piece of sh-”

    As Heung Soo geared up to throw his insult, Gii’s index finger flexed and his body jerked in his response to the bullet he released from his Barrett M82 Heung Soo didn’t dare look in the direction of the shot. Though he identified as uncaring and nonchalant, even he was painfully aware that whomever Gii was aiming for was most likely dead and that was one position he didn’t wish to be in at all. Gii continued looking through his scope, his body tense, and jaw clenched. Whatever had grabbed his attention was surely weighing heavily on his mind because his trigger finger flexed indecisive of whether it should take the shot or not. Gii’s decision-making process had to have taken all of a few seconds because in the next instant, a second round was fire off and Gii’s body jerked. Heung Soo watched Gii go through a series of emotions from hope to guilt and anger to resignation before he pulled himself away from his scope. Gii’s eyes were glassy, distant, and his lips were pressed into a thin strip. Whosever name was on that second bullet, he obviously was not happy about it, yet in an instant, it was gone. The pensive expression replaced with a more playful one, his lips upturned and the corner of his eyes crinkled.

    “Who’s ready for some grub, cause I sure am?” Slapping his gloved hands together, he jumped up stretching his tightened limbs. Heung Soo blinked, the sharp change of Gii’s attitude sending him into shock for a moment.

    Gii took apart his rifle, humming a small tune as he did and gingerly placed it in the case. Zipping up the bag, he swung it over his shoulder before jumping down to Heung Soo’s level and wrapping his free arm around Heung Soo’s broad shoulders. They began walking in the other direction at a leisure pace.

    “You’re bringing the case with you?!” Gii stepped back a smidge, his face baring surprise, and incredulity.

    “Heung Soo, how dare you? I would not so much as entertain the thought of leaving my precious Barrett M82 to be destroyed. I bought this beauty with my own money and I would rather die than part with her!”

    Heung Soo’s face screwed up, his own disbelief taking over his emotions.

    “You’re not worried someone will link whomever that was to you?”

    “Look,” Gii pointed an accusing finger, “It’s not my job to worry about that. I did my part, expertly I might add, and now it’s up to the old man to do his.”

    Heung Soo rubbed at his face vigorously trying to keep the cold anxiety from seeping deeper into his muscles. He waved a dismissive hand before wrapping his own arm around Gii’s shoulders.

    “Fine, whatever, but when we get back, you’re sitting in front of the heater got it?” The sound of Gii’s laughter slightly quelled the alarm stirring within him.

    “Heu-Heun-Heung Soo, I’m n-not even cold.”

    Heung Soo quirked his lips, “Yeah sure, you can mess around all you want, but when your catches a cold, I will not be the one taking care of you.”

    Gii whimpered, “Aww but you took care of me so well last time.”

    Heung Soo swatted at the man who evaded easily enough, the smile from earlier returning in full force.

    In comfortable silence, the two made their way through the abandoned building to the awaiting car which would no doubt be warm and stocked with snacks and drinks. Just before they reached the door, Heung Soo stopped and pulled Gii’s forearm.

    Gii looked back, the jokester smile he loved to wear display fully.

    “Hey, you were the one that said I needed to get warm, and we’re so close to the car.”

    Heung Soo stayed quiet for a bit forcing Gii to lose the levity he was so keen on keeping.

    “Giichi,” in all the time they had known each other, Heung Soo never used Gii’s full first name. Gii had stated on multiple occasions that he hated the name anyway. He changed it to Gii since it was the only way he could make a name he hated with a passion, bearable. “Giichi, there is someone out there for you. And I bet, it’ll be true love and all that sappy you believe in.”

    Gii worried his bottom lip before nodding and letting his lips part to show a brilliant smile. A smile so wide Heung Soo thought the younger man’s face would crack. While Gii rubbed at his arms for warmth and continued his way to the car, he missed Heung Soo’s own smile that shown even brighter in the shadows of the decrepit building.


    Present Day
Gii strode into the office, back ramrod straight and head held high. The worst thing he could do was ooze nervous energy while entering into his adopted father’s domain. Mr. Park, the man he had known for most of his life and respected, tended to deceive people with his meek and calm demeanor. But he couldn’t fool Gii. He knew all too well that Mr. Park could smell fear, relished it as if it were a fine wine. He would need to be careful.

    Gii paused, allowing himself a moment to bow before stiffly taking his seat in the armchair adjacent to Heung Soo, whose rigid body betrayed the nonchalant mask he was desperately trying to display.

    “How are my two favorite sons?” The deep saccharine voice spoke. A smirk playing in his lips.

    Heung Soo spoke first, “I’m doing well, Father. How about yourself?” His tone curt and guarded. Gii noted the slight listlessness in the slightly older man’s voice.

    “Giichi, what about you?” he clasped his fingers together, resting his head atop his hands. “How’s life been treating you?”

    Gii hoisted himself a bit higher in his seat; a futile attempt to stir the confidence that had settled at the bottom of his stomach and instead, allowed tension and apprehension to take its place in his muscles and bones. He plastered a blithe grin onto his lips. A last-ditch effort to pull himself together.

    “It’s been treating me well. Especially since I’m alive an’ all, right?” He snickered. It didn’t help that in the corner of his peripheral, he could see Heung Soo obscuring the upturn of his lips and a tiny chuckle. Mr. Park nodded, his own lips spreading into more of a predatory grin than one that communicated humor and fun. The smile slipped from Gii’s features as he gulped, his adam-apple bobbing up and down with unease. He slouched back in his seat, the baritone chuckle sending a shiver down his spine and goosebumps rising against his warm skin.

    “You have no idea how much joy it brings me to hear my sons are enjoying life. My heart is completely filled to the brim.” A pause, which almost made Gii grimace, “Heung Soo, how is that little Omega of yours, hm? Wishing you had an alpha sharing your bed yet?”

    Oh God, why was it so hard? Gii was practically breaking his neck trying to keep his head and eyes facing his father instead of turning in Heung Soo’s direction. Mr. Park didn’t actually care to hear about Nam Soon. It wasn’t uncommon for him to already know what was going on in their lives and ask them about it later. A test whether they would crack under his gaze and spill their guts or if they would keep to themselves forcing him to rip the information out of them. Painfully.

    “Heung Soo, with is proud , tilted his head, “He is doing quite well, father. Nam Soon is cooling down and enjoying his time off.”

    Their old man once again nodded, the smile he wore baring sharp canines as if he were a ferocious beast ready to pounce on its dinner.

    “Wonderful, and what has our little Omega been up to as of recent? I hope you’ve been keeping that leash tight around his neck after that disgraceful display?”

    Heung Soo crossed his legs and brought his elbows to rest on the arms of the chair. Gii could see the composure Heung Soo had gather fluttering away in their father's attempts to catch them off guard.

    “Nam Soon is his own man and has his own opinions. Though I do not agree with how he handled the press I agree with his position on the matter.”  Mr. Park held Heung Soo’s hardened gaze and the tension weighed heavily on at least two of the three men in the room. Gii watched the silent glare off between his friend and adopted father, his heart crashing against his rib cage.

    “What a gentleman I’ve raised. Unfortunately, that’s not how society works. Once he agreed to marry you, he accepted his fate. As an Omega, he is under your control and as his Alpha, you must take responsibility and use your authority to keep him in his place.”

    “There is no issue with Nam Soon. He obviously wasn’t feeling well that day. Which explains his handling of the event.” Another direct response.

    Park Heung Sik leaned back in his seat gauging his sons’ reactions. “Of course, …side effects of being born an Omega. How unfortunate.” Heung Soo’s jaw clenched, a move everyone in the room assumed was keeping him from spewing whatever acid was building up on the back of his tongue. “Well, what have you got the little Omega up to now? Hm? It’s obvious that’s he’s incapable of being given any real responsibility.” Gii slipped deeper into the hard, bumpy chair. Why on the earth were the chairs so stiff and uncomfortable? “One thing is certain,” Their father continued. His voiced hardening as his eyes flicked to an arbitrary corner of the room as if the conversation was beginning to bore him, “That mouth of his needs to be kept busy.”

    Gii’s eyes widened a slight bit; he knew what this was. This was just a tactic, a technique their father used to stir up conflict and force them to divulge information they would normally keep sealed shut behind tight-lipped quips. Gii avoided Mr. Parks icy, apathetic gaze.

Since meeting Takumi, he couldn’t stomach the thought of forcing him to do, well, anything. Especially if he didn’t want to do it. While he thought that, he couldn’t say he would admit that to the man who rescued him from his former, horrid life and gave him shelter, a family, and meaning, Park Heung Sik. Heung Soo, on the other hand, was already born with those necessities. Giving him the opportunity to disobey and ignore rules presented to him. If Heung Soo were any other person, he might have entered into a petty shouting match or an Alpha posing match. But his upbringing allowed him to enter into a different strategic game. One that Gii was hardly privy to. Heung Soo clearing his throat forced Gii to look up.

    “As a son, I am always happy to receive advice from you, but my marriage is one thing I will not be accepting outsider input.” Heung Soo abruptly stood. “Before I leave, I ought to inform you, the company’s stock has not been affected and in fact has risen since Nam Soon’s outburst.” 

    Gii was impressed. Heung Soo’s face had remained blank and passive. An expression he learned to utilize when they were kids. An incredible feat Gii had not mustered the resolve to use in front of the man he half respected and feared. Gii didn’t bother following Heung Soo’s movements and as a result, missed the concern laden stare only meant for him. Heung Soo was almost out of the room before Park Heung Sik scoffed and gave his full attention to Gii.

    “Interesting how I sent my son to an expensive university and he can only tell me things that I could look up online.” Heung Sik rolled his eyes and waved Heung Soo away. “Leave, I need to speak with Giichi privately.”

Heung Soo glanced back at Gii one last time before exiting. He hoped that at that moment, his eyes could clearly communicate his grief and disappointment If he had the chose, he would drag Gii out of the room with him, but if their father wanted to speak with one of them alone then there was no getting past it. He slammed the door shut behind him.