Chapter 7: Yoochun

Five in the Block

 

Yoochun’s mood has the tendency to fluctuate, depending on how inspired he is with his work. During the peak of his creative process, he’s cheeriest and most affable. He’d even wake up early and be in high spirits. He’d take everyone out for dinner and karaoke and would insist in paying for everything. But when he doesn’t have any work done, he becomes frustrated, volatile and quick-tempered.

Yoochun didn’t have to say anything and Jaejoong can tell how he’s doing with his work.

 

 “You were kind of harsh on Changmin earlier. Is it that time of the month again?” Jaejoong invites himself into Yoochun’s room and holds out a can of ice cold beer to his best friend. In his left hand, he’s carrying the remaining four cans in the pack.

“Hyung, stop calling it that. You make it sound like I’m menstruating,” Yoochun sighs as he accepts the beer.

“Well, you do act like a girl PMSing every time it’s near your deadline. Your editor should be giving you a break. You just published a book and a best-seller at that.”

“That’s okay. The fans get what they want.” Yoochun grumbles “They want me to write a bonus chapter for ‘DFA’ (Dating Five s) as that one ended with a cliffhanger. My publishers want me to finish that soon so that the bonus chapter can be included in the new batch of hard bound copies to be printed. The thing is, I’m not very inspired to do anything. I haven’t even written a single word on it yet.”

 

Jaejoong’s lips curls into a half smile. He already knows his suggestion would sound ridiculous to Yoochun. “Maybe if you speak to your sister, you’ll get an idea.”

“Speak to Hwayoung? Why should I?” Yoochun scoffs as his face scrunches up with contempt. He takes a swig of beer, ignoring the disapproving look of his best friend.

“It’s loosely inspired from her, but it isn’t a hundred percent about her. Honestly, she just overreacted.”

“You did include into the story a few things that were sort of personal, you know, and Hwayoung was at her lowest when the book exploded. I can see why she would be distressed about it. Did you try apologizing to her, though?”

“Of course I did,” Yoochun cries determinedly. “I sent her a million text messages and she won’t reply. She won’t even answer my calls and she moved out of her old apartment without telling me. I get that she’s mad, but why go as far as cutting me off from her life? If that’s the way she wants to go through with this, fine. I don’t give a damn about her anymore.”

Jaejoong shakes his head despondently as he situated himself at the edge of Yoochun’s bed. “It really makes me sad seeing you two like this. You used to be so close to each other. Siblings should support one another, you know. And as older brothers, it’s our responsibility to lead, and adjust, and make sure our younger sisters are okay.”

 

“Easy for you to say,” Yoochun smirks. “You’re the youngest sibling and your noonas spoil you a lot.”

 

“,” Jaejoong curses quietly.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Oh, nothing.” Jaejoong shrugs. He holds out his beer to Yoochun. “Cheers?”

 

“Cheers!” Yoochun raises his beer to Jaejoong.

 

Yoochun pauses and watches Jaejoong take his beer in one gulp. For some reason, it seems kind of unusual. Jaejoong enjoys his beer, especially if it’s ice cold. The few instances that Jaejoong would chug his drinks would be the times he’s ridden with a problem.

 

“Hyung?”

 

“Yeah, what is it?”

 

“Is something bothering you lately?”

 

Jaejoong’s face deadpanned. “What are you talking about? I’ve never been better.”

 

“Oh,” Yoochun sighs thoughtfully. “But are you sure?”

 

“Of course, Yoochun. What kind of things would I be bothered about, anyway?”

 

“You’re right. You’re the most optimistic person I know—I mean you come in second to Junsu, but I’m probably just imagining things. Anyway, I’m sorry.”

 

“For what?”

 

“The moment you mentioned Hwayoung, I admit I feel kind of guilty.”

 

 

“You should be telling your sister this. Not me…”

 “Yes, I know. But I wrote a story with you in it, too. You and Ji Eun… in my first book, ‘Their Circumstances.’”

 

Jaejoong’s face lights up in recognition, “Oh yeah. That was back in high school, huh? I haven’t read any of your books, but our schoolmates have gone up to me and pointed that out. I think that was what propelled me to popularity.” Jaejoong laughs at his high school memory. “I used to be that kid who no one takes notice of and at the end of high school, I had become the heartthrob. I think it was because of your book.”

“Well, yes, and the fact that you grew 10 centimeters over the summer and gained some muscle weight and suddenly became attractive.” Yoochun recalls. “People don’t transform into a hunk in one summer.” Yoochun says with exaggerated envy, “You won the genetic lottery.”

 

The smile on Jaejoong’s mouth wavers as a long sigh escapes his mouth. He stands up from the edge of Yoochun’s bed and gives his friend a soft pat on the back.

 

“Aish, I’ll leave you to your work. You’re not gonna get any nicer if you’re lagging behind.”

 

“Great, you’re just going to leave after a can of beer?” Yoochun protests. “I thought you brought a whole pack with you.”

 

“Let’s do this next time,” Jaejoong suggests. “I’m not in the mood anymore.” Jaejoong’s smile faded to unmask the weariness of his eyes.

 

“Did I say something wrong? I was just saying how lucky you are to be born with good genes. Not many people are blessed with good looks, you know.”

 

“No, you didn’t say anything wrong.” Jaejoong smiles weakly. “I just feel suddenly tired. And besides, it’s not the same without Ji Eun.”

 

The moment the door closes behind Jaejoong, Yoochun can’t help but wonder why his best friend’s acting weird. He wonders if it has something to do with his writing. At that moment, the realization struck Yoochun like lightning. He is Midas and his writing is Midas touch.

 

The first book he’s ever published started as a fanfiction about Ji Eun and Jaejoong. (In high school, he shipped them together.) If Ji Eun and Jaejoong were both idols, Yoochun would probably be the fan club president. He’d probably be that fan that has a million readers on Soompi for his fanfics.

But as it turned out, his novel had inspired and nursed a one-sided love. Yoochun still feels immense guilt for what Ji Eun has to go through.

 

The latest book Yoochun published tells a story of a young hopeless romantic woman who met and dated five s. Yes, that book was loosely based on his younger sister Hwayoung, and the five s were exaggerated versions of Hwayoung’s ex-boyfriends. Hwayoung, who Yoochun made his protagonist, thought she was badly portrayed in the novel and after their last big fight, she had not spoken a word to his older brother ever since.

 

Then there was this one unpublished book. It was Yoochun’s own personal journal, whom he started since he began dating So Min Joo. Call him cheesy and romantic, but he once believed that she was the girl he was going to end up with; hence, the journal. He’s already planned he is going to propose to her by presenting her an account of their memorable moments. Unfortunately, that never happened. Two years ago, after dating for five years, So Min Joo decided to break up with him.

 

Yoochun cringes at the memory. So Min Joo’s name still leave a bitter taste in his mouth.

 

“, , !” Yoochun mutters in frustration. He shouldn’t be depressing over Min Joo anymore. He shouldn’t be even thinking about her. Yoochun thought he’s desensitized, but every time Min Joo crosses his mind, she always leave a trail of regret, longing and anguish behind.

 

“, I have to shake her off my head.” Yoochun says to himself. He opens his phone and runs through his contact list and tries calling Hwayoung again after quickly deciding to follow Jaejoong’s advice on contacting her. He doesn’t know why he still does this when clearly, Hwayoung had changed numbers. After the operator rambles about the number not existing anymore, Yoochun speed dials Ji Eun.

 

“Hello? Yoochun-ah, do you know what time it is? You don’t usually call me this late?”

 

“Ji Eun-ah, can you do me a favor?”

 

“Depends,” Ji Eun answers. “What do you want me to do? If it involves jumping off a cliff or jumping off a bridge, hang up now.”

 

“You have Facebook, right?”

 

“Of course, Chun. Duh?” Ji Eun scoffs.

 

“Do you think Hwayoung has Facebook, too?”

 

“Yeah. I think we might be even friends.” Ji Eun says. “Maybe, it’s time to get on Facebook, too, Chun. Everyone’s on Facebook these days. Even Yunho-ssi has Facebook and I know he’s busy as a bee.”

 

“Don’t tell me to get on social media. I feel like Social Media would restrict my creative flow.”

 

“Bull. You’re so pretentious. But I see now why you called. You want me to look for Hwayoung? That’s great. I think that you should It’s about time brother and sister make up.”

 

“Thanks Ji Eun. Good ni—“

 

“Wait, hold up. Don’t put the phone down just yet.”

 

“Yeah? What’s up?”

 

“Did you tell Jaejoong anything?” Ji Eun’s voice is suddenly hushed.

 

“Why are you suddenly whispering? I can’t hear you properly.”

 

“Did you tell Jae anything?” Ji Eun repeats exasperatedly louder this time. Every time Ji Eun mentions Jaejoong’s name. Her voice turns into a soft gentle mush. “I’m asking because the other day, Jaejoong and I had dinner together and he was bugging me about the person I like. Do you think he’s sensed it?”

 

“No, he’s too dense for his own good.” Yoochun replies bluntly.

“Then why was he suddenly curious. He’s onto me.”

“Yawn… I’m really sleepy, Ji Eun. Gotta go.”

“Yoochun-ah, you do not hang up from me after you just asked me for a favor. Tell me the truth.”

“Fine,” Yoochun succumbs. “Jaejoong thinks you like Yunho.”

“Whaaaaaaaaaat?” Ji Eun squals shrilly on the phone that Yoochun has to hold the phone farther from his ears.

 “Why?” Came Ji Eun’s distressed voices.

“He just assumed. It’s either you like Junsu and Yunho but he feels that Yunho’s more qualified for your taste, so he made that conclusion.”

“You’re right. He is so, so dense.” Ji Eun groans on the phone. “He’s such an idiot, too.”

“But he’s kind of smart, actually.” Yoochun states. “He figured out that if there is someone you like, it’s someone within your social circle. It’s someone among us five, but he counted Changmin out since you just met him, and he counted both of us out because the three of us are like siblings.”


“He treats you and I the same. I don’t think he sees me as a woman at all.”

“Apparently,”

“Why? I have s and you don’t.”

“There’s hardly a difference…”

“YOOCHUN!”

“Good night, Ji Eun. Gotta go!” Yoochun says quickly and hangs up the phone before Ji Eun could raise her voice at him

 

Yoochun stares at the blank document on his laptop. Not a single word. Not even a single idea. Should he resort to reading fanfiction that some of his viewers emailed to him?

 

“Don’t even get that idea. That’s so cheap.” Yoochun chastises himself. Maybe he should go to bed. He checks the time. It’s almost twelve midnight. He knows that even if he commands himself to bed, he wouldn’t be able to tell himself to sleep. There’s a lot of things going on his mind: deadlines, Hwayoung, inspiration... and as much as he’d like to push the thought of it away, he sometimes thinks of Min Joo.

 

After staring blankly into space, he finally decides to treat himself to a midnight snack.

 

Slowly, Yoochun creeps out of his room. He takes gentle and long strides to the kitchen, lifting his feet slowly to not make a sound. Before he reaches the refrigerator, he spots a silhouette of a woman standing in the living room.

 

“,” Yoochun in his breath. He does not believe in ghosts, but it doesn’t mean he’s not scared of them. He quickly dashes to the corner to switch on the lights. The illuminated figure was revealed to be none other than the landlady Shim Sang Hee.

 

“Sang Hee-ssi!” Yoochun pants. “You gave me a fright. What are you doing here? Since when did you arrive?”

 

“Just now.” Sang Hee offers an apologetic smile. “I was going to leave this bag of souvenirs from Jeju for the guys.”

 

“Souvenirs? Did you include me, too?”

 

“As if I would,” Sang Hee scoffs and rolls her eyes. “Be good to me and I’ll give you a souvenir, too.”

 

“Aaah… you’re so stingy.” Yoochun says disapprovingly. “I can’t believe you’re still not over it.”

 

“By the way, why is Junsu-ssi sleeping outside his room,” Sang Hee points out, ignoring Yoochun’s argument.

 

“I guess he fell asleep again,” Yoochun sighs as he takes notice of Junsu curling comfortably on the sofa. “Junsu has a tendency to pull out a Yunho, sometimes.”

 

“Pull out a Yunho?”

 

“It’s an expression that means ‘working too hard’, just like Yunho-hyung.”

 

“Why doesn’t he do that in his own room?”

 

“Coz the wifi is fastest in the living room,” Yoochun says. “I think landlady-ssi, you should upgrade the wifi in this house. Junsu needs it especially for his line of work.”

 

“Oh, but I don’t think Junsu-ssi was working at all.” Sang Hee says. A smile creeps on her lips. “I mean, I didn’t mean to peak at his laptop. When I passed by, I saw that it was dangling dangerously on top of him and I had to put it on a safer place. And then I saw his browser…”

 

“Oh god,” Yoochun’s mouth forms a large O. “Is it ?”

 

“Ew,” Sang Hee’s face scrunches up. “Junsu would not. He’s pure and innocent, unlike you.”

 

“What did you see that seems so intriguing then?”

 

“I think Junsu’s seeing someone.” Sang Hee hypothesizes. Her face brightens as she smiles at Yoochun proudly like a mom announcing her child’s excellent grades. “When I saw his browser he was on this dating guide blog. Wow, whoever she’s dating, she must be so lucky.”

 

Yoochun almost burst into fits of laughter. Good thing, he managed to contain it with his hands or the whole house would be awoken.

 

“Yoochun-ssi, shhh!” Sang Hee warns him warily.

 

“Sorry. I can’t help it. It’s just so unlikely. Junsu dating? That’s like saying the tooth fairy exists.”

 

“What?” Sang Hee creases her brows. “Why? Is Junsu not dateable? I don’t get it.” She glances at Junsu’s sleeping figure. “Honestly, among the five tenants, Junsu is probably the most normal one. I couldn’t see why no girl wouldn’t want him.”

 

“Care to elaborate?”

 

“Well,” Sang Hee quirks her eyebrows. “For starters, my beloved nephew Shim Changmin is a self-acclaimed evil genius. He’s probably shy and silent at first, but when you get to know him more, he’s the evil reincarnate. Attorney Jung Yunho is workaholic. I get that he’s nice, really responsible and kind, but a man’s life shouldn’t revolve around his work. Kim Jaejoong is kind of vain. He brings random girls to the house a lot, and I’ve tried dealing with one of his one-night-stand-turned-stalker and it wasn’t pretty. And you…” Sang Hee’s lips curled contemptuously. “You are an obsessive-compulsive control freak. And you make my life a living hell!”

 

“Wow,” Yoochun holds his hands up.

 

“And Kim Junsu is the nicest one.”

 

Yoochun smiles smugly, “Sang Hee-ssi, that’s where you’re right but also where you’re wrong. You’re right about Junsu being the nicest one, but his niceness is also the bane of his existence. He’s too nice to a fault, and that makes him the least dateable.”

 

Kim Junsu stirs and Sang Hee and Yoochun both in their breaths.

 

“We really shouldn’t be gossiping about someone who’s sleeping right in front of us,” Sang Hee reminds Yoochun.

 

“Do you care for a drink, Sang Hee?” Yoochun asks. “Jaejoong’s got a pack of beer we didn’t finish.”

 

“I—“ Sang Hee hesitates as she fights a smile. “Okay, but I don’t think this is the best place.”

 

“I’ll head over to your place then.”

 

“What? Now?”

 

Yoochun nods.

 

“Aigoo… Can you give me at least five minutes? My house is in a disarray and I know you’ll judge me, you neat freak.”

 

“I won’t judge you.” Yoochun promises.

 

“Just give me five minutes!” Sang Hee retreats and heads for the door. “Five minutes, okay?” She takes one last glance at Yoochun before she heads out.

 

Yoochun heads to Sang Hee’s house after five minutes with Jaejoong’s pack of four beers. Sang Hee welcomes him to her place, a cozy well-decorated dwelling fitting for a talented interior designer. But unlike Yoochun and his housemate’s modern house, Sang Hee’s is a tastefully-done amalgamation of modern architecture and traditional Japanese architecture. Instead of a sofa set, her living room has one tiny square table over a tatami mat.

 

“Your house looks very Japanese,” Yoochun comments.

 

“I studied in Japan for two years,” Sang Hee says. “I just really liked Japanese architecture and interior design.”

 

“Well, I like it. It’s nice.” Yoochun tells Sang Hee. The interior designer looks away, bashful and surprised by an unexpected compliment from Yoochun.

 

She clears and shuffles towards the author. “I lied.”

 

“What?”

 

“I did actually get you a souvenir from Jeju.”

 

“Is it a give away from the mixer you just attended.”

 

“I told you I did not go to a mixer party, Yoochun. The flier you saw wasn’t even mine! I don’t know how that thing got on my desk.” Sang Hee says in annoyance. “I went to Jeju to meet a client, okay?”

 

“Fine, you went there to meet a client.” Yoochun repeats unconvincingly. “So, what did you get me?”

 

“Well, it’s different from the others, but when I saw the chance, I thought about you and that you might like it.”

 

“Oh, I’m excited to see what it is.” Yoochun rubs his hands together in excitement.

 

“My client’s a hotel director at a five-star hotel in Jeju. I happened to meet his fiancée, and you’ll never guess who she is. I’ll give you a hint. She’s a popular author, too.” There’s glee and excitement in Sang Hee’s voice as she reveals the souvenir she got for Yoochun.

 

It’s a familiar paperback book. When Yoochun receives it from Sang Hee, he almost drops it.

 

Sang Hee flips to the back of the cover. “I had it autographed by her. Am I awesome or what?”

 

The signature belonged to no other than So Min Joo, Yoochun’s ex-girlfriend. Yoochun gapes wide-eyed, frozen and confused. One, he didn’t know she finally published her book and two, he didn’t know she’s engaged.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/n: I wonder if there's anyone reading this? Would love to hear your thoughts on this.