Chapter 5: Yunho

Five in the Block

There are three people in the world who could make the confident and self-assured Jung Yunho nervous. First is his father, an authoritative figure and a strict disciplinarian who introduced Yunho the stick and the belt. Second is a girl, but Yunho will get to that later. The third person that makes Yunho nervous is his boss, a middle-age man with graying thinning hair and a deep and permanent scowl on his face. He is never seen smiling, which is why when people are asked to describe Prosecutor Im Sung Joon, they’d talk about how deep the folds between his brows are, or how piercing his glares can get or how many hair he has left. He’s one of the best in his job, but he’s also one of the most feared.

 

Prosecutor Im Sung Joon is scanning through Jung Yunho’s report on the ual assault case they’re handling. Yunho has his hands behind his back, nervously squeezing each other. He can’t tell whether his boss is pleased with his work just by reading through his facial expression. All he knows is that he’s done a great job. He’s been working so hard on this case that he’s almost forgone sleeping and eating. He probably wouldn’t have stopped working if it weren’t for Jaejoong’s constant reminder. Yunho also knows he’s done what most prosecutors wouldn’t have. He’s not just reviewed statements of the victims and witnesses, he’s also cross-referenced their statements with other resources and made a dozen of phone calls to ensure the validity of their words.

 

Jung Yunho expects his boss to praise him for his work and to recognize his extra effort, but the moment his boss finishes reading his report, he tosses the paper across Yunho’s face, much to his shock and chagrin. 

 

“Redo it.” Yunho’s boss says coldly, turning his back away from Yunho and returning his gaze on his laptop.

 

Yunho swallows hard. “Sir, what’s wrong with my report?”

 

Prosecutor Im sighs loudly and as he does, the crease on his eyebrows formed more deeply. “Jung Yunho, have you forgotten you worked for the prosecution?”

 

“No, sir.”

 

“Then why are giving me reports on the inconsistency of the victim’s statement with the witness. Didn’t I specifically ask you to look into the suspect’s background and to try to find any discrepancy with his alibi?”

 

“Well, I looked into that, sir, but I also found out about the inconsistency between the time that the victim claimed she was assaulted and the time the witness said she—“

 

“I don’t care about that.” His boss cuts Yunho in the middle of his sentence. “I asked you to do one thing and that’s not what you did.”

 

“But sir, the suspect might be innocent.”

 

“What if he is?” Prosecutor Im says starkly. “Our job isn’t to prove his innocence. If that’s what you’re trying to do, why don’t you switch to the defense side? Tell me so I can fire you right now. Is that what you want?”

 

“No sir.” Yunho answers meekly.

 

“Then go and rewrite your report. I expect them by Wednesday.”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

Jung Yunho, 27, always dreamt of becoming a lawyer just like his father and grandfather had been. Growing up with a strict, but loving father, Yunho has developed a strong moral compass and a strong sense of justice. He chose to work for the prosecution because he believed that what prosecutors do is compile the truths and evidence to incriminate the real bad guys. As it turned out, Yunho was just too idealistic. In the real world, Prosecutors only care about the numbers: the percentage of success in their career and the number of times they’ve put an accused behind bars. Yunho has recently discovered that there are evidence that gets buried under the pile if they don’t guarantee the success of the case. Prosecuting is selective, he realized. The only evidence that gets to be submitted and evaluated are those that help win the case.

 

“Did you get scolded again?” Yunho looks up and sees his smiling sunbae at him.

 

“Yi Joon-sunbae!” Yunho stands up and gives his senior a polite bow. “Yes, I got scolded today. I wrote about the inconsistencies I notice regarding the witness’s and victim’s statements.”

 

Yi Joon-sunbae sighs. “You should have just stuck to what he asked you to do.”

 

“And what? Ignore the other facts that are dangling before me?”

 

“Yes, and hope that the defense picks up on it.” Yi Joon-sunbae answers despondently. He notices Yunho’s downcast eyes and pats him on the head.

 

“I used to be just as idealistic as you, Yunho-ssi.” He reminisces. “In law school, we used to live in our own bubble. We’re asked to read and read and memorize all these things. But we’re never actually prepared for the real world, aren’t we? In law school, we are taught what’s black is black and what’s white is white, but they never tell us that the real world has a lot of gray matter in between.”

 

A long sigh escapes Yunho’s mouth. His sunbae’s word resonates with him so much. Sometimes, he feels he’s lost. He thought this was the job that he wanted since he was a kid, but as it turns out, it wasn’t as glamorous as he thought it would be.

 

“You look stressed out, Yunho.” His sunbae adds. “Tell you what. Why don’t you take a break? Go home and rest. You can finish your report tomorrow and I’ll help you with it.”

 

“But sunbae…”

 

“You look burnt out. I can tell that you worked so hard on that report, only to have it rejected. You probably can’t work well today with all those thoughts swirling in your head. Take the time off.”

 

“But sunbae, Sir Im…”

 

“I’ll take care of him. I’ll tell him I sent you to retrieve a statement from the police office. He’s busy the whole day and he’s leaving after lunch, so he won’t notice you gone.”

 

“Are you sure, sunbae?”

 

“Yes,” He answers. “Now, go before I change my mind.”

 

“Thank you so much, sunbae.” Yunho bows his head gratefully.

 

 

Before Yunho heads home, he drops by Ji Eun’s coffee shop. Since he discovered the place a few months ago, he’s made it almost like a routine to drop by for a cup of coffee brewed by his roommates’ best friend. He likes Ji Eun’s coffee shop more than staple coffee shops like Starbucks. Maybe it’s because Ji Eun’s coffee is a lot cheaper or that it tastes richer. Maybe it’s the quaint interior. Yunho can give so many reasons, but the biggest factor why he comes so often is a secret he’ll never admit.

 

“Yunho-ssi?” Ji Eun looks surprised when he enters the coffee shop. “You’re very early today? Did you get off work early?”

 

“Ah Yes.” Yunho nods. “Can I have the regular, please?”

 

“Coming right up.” Ji Eun says enthusiastically.

 

Yunho sits at his usual and favorite spot at the corner. He likes that spot because it’s well-lit, and it’s the least busy, so he can do his paper works without being disturbed. The coffee shop at this hour is empty, aside from Yunho and Ji Eun. Wooyoung, the part-timer that Ji Eun hired, hasn’t even come in yet.

 

“Here you go.” Ji Eun lays down a cup of drink on Yunho’s table.

 

“Is it usually this empty at this hour?”

 

“Yeah, since most of the people are either at work or in school, but people will start coming in at 3 pm.”

 

“Do you mind if I sit down with you?” Ji Eun motions to the chair across Yunho.

           

“No, of course not. Please have a seat.” Yunho nods and mentally slaps himself for not remembering to offer Ji Eun a seat.

 

Yunho takes notice of his coffee and wonders why it’s not his regular order.

 

“Aaah… I switched your black coffee for a salted caramel cappuccino.” Ji Eun states. “Since you just got off from work, you don’t need the extra energy.”

 

“You’re right.”

 

“And besides, you look like you could use something sweet, so I added extra whipped cream and a teaspoon of honey.” Ji Eun says with a worried smile on her face. “Is everything alright at work?”

 

“Yeah, everything’s alright.” Yunho lies. “I just have to make a few revisions on my report. But do I really look like I had a tough day at work?”

 

Ji Eun nods. “Honestly, you do. You’ve got really dark circles under your eyes.”

 

Yunho takes his phone and uses the front camera as a mirror. “Yeah, I can see that now.”

 

“You know, Jaejoong’s got a really effective eye cream. You should ask him to give some to you.” Ji Eun suggests. “You know that guy’s even vainer than me. I hear it takes him 8 steps to complete his daily skin routine. I can’t even spare ten minutes of my time for skin care.”

 

“But you look great anyway.”

 

“Thank you. I’m glad you noticed.” Ji Eun says with a smug. “This face right here,” She points to her natural bare face. “This is all natural. This is the power of eating healthy and exercising daily. You don’t need to spend so much on those products. If you live a healthy lifestyle, your skin will show it.” Ji Eun says animatedly that Yunho can’t help but laugh.

 

“You know you should smile more.” Ji Eun advises Yunho. “I was always intimidated by you because you always stand like this and walk like this.” Ji Eun gets up on her feet and starts imitating Yunho’s upright and stiff posture.

 

Yunho guffaws as Ji Eun starts trotting around the empty coffee shop in her poor imitation of him. The whole shenanigan ceases when a pair of customers enter the coffee shop.  Ji Eun immediately stifles her laughter as she welcomes her guests with a bow.

 

As Yunho sips his coffee, his eyes search for Ji Eun. Ji Eun who’s at the counter working on the espresso machine notices the lawyer’s gaze and responds to him with a friendly smile.

 

It could be the effect of coffee that Yunho feels a soothing warmth from inside.

 

 

 

Several months ago, when Yoochun and Jaejoong came into the apartment, Ji Eun had accompanied them to help them get settled. Yunho’s first encounter with her was when he met her by the receiving area, carrying some of Jaejoong or Yoochun’s things effortlessly. As a gentleman, he had offered to help her, but she declined him politely even if he had insisted, and for some inexplicable reason, the impression she left him has made him more curious about her. So, to get to know her better, Yunho proposed Jalgeum night to his housemates. Of course, the goal was for him to get to know his housemates better but aside from that, he also wanted to have a valid excuse to invite her over.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Absolutely not.”

 

Yunho’s sitting in solitude at the kitchen bar lost in his reverie when he hears Yoochun’s irritated voice. Trailing behind Yoochun is Jaejoong holding out his mobile phone to his best friend.

 

“C’mon, Yoochun.” Jaejoong tries to convince his best friend. “Look at him properly. He’s very good-looking, and I just learned that he’s single. If I ask him, I’m sure he will consider.”

 

“Even if he considers, I don’t think Ji Eun will agree to it.”

 

Yunho perks up the moment he hears Ji Eun’s name. What are Ji Eun’s friends planning to do to her?

 

“That’s why I need you to convince Ji Eun for me.” Jaejoong pleads. “She listens to you more than to me.”

 

 

“Why are you so adamant on hooking up Ji Eun with someone?” Yoochun says in annoyance.

 

“That’s because Ji Eun’s been cranky with me lately. I figure out it’s because she’s been single for far way too long. Hahaha.” Jaejoong couldn’t hold back his laughter. “Correction, she’s been single as far as I can remember. If she doesn’t get a boyfriend soon, she might turn into a miserable spinster living with 20 cats. How many cats does she own now? Last time it was three.”

 

“Leave her alone, hyung.” Yoochun sighs in exasperation. “Why do you always try to meddle with her affairs?”

 

“I’m just worried about Ji Eun. Maybe hanging out with us too much has made her start to play for the other team? But if she’s interested in women, I have hot model friends who might be interested in other women, too.”

 

“Hyung! Ji Eun’s not gay. In fact, there’s a guy she already likes.” Yoochun’s blurts out. Yunho could tell it was sort of a secret because he sees Yoochun silently curse at himself.

 

“Ji Eun likes someone?” Jaejoong tilts his head curiously. “How did you know? Why is she hiding this from me? More importantly, who is it?”

 

“I don’t know. She didn’t say.” Yoochun dodges Jaejoong and positions behind Yunho while pretending to be arranging the mugs and glasses by height.

 

Jaejoong rubs his chin and contemplates. “Hmmm. Who is it? Could it be one of her customers? But she’s not the type to fall in love too easily with strangers. Maybe, it’s someone within her social circle…”

 

Yunho hears Yoochun humming while he rearranges the mugs and glasses. He arranges it by color this time. Normally, Yunho would steer away from getting caught in between the best friends’ argument, but he’s too intrigued to leave.

           

“If it’s someone within her social circle, it has to be someone in this house.” Jaejoong snaps his fingers at Yoochun. “It’s someone from this house, isn’t it?”

 

“I don’t know.” Yoochun cries. “Maybe, it’s one of her customers. I really don’t know.”

 

Jaejoong ignores Yoochun and continues speculating. “If it’s someone from this house, it couldn’t be Changmin since he just arrived. It couldn’t be me or Yoochun because we’re like siblings…” Jaejoong turns back to Yoochun. “I know! It’s Junsu, isn’t it?”

 

“I told you I don’t know.”

 

“Aah… It could be Junsu. He and Ji Eun have similar bubbly and optimistic personalities. And Ji Eun always brings Junsu lemon cakes every time she visits.”

 


“It’s not Junsu.” Yoochun groans.

 

“It’s Yunho, then,” Jaejoong exclaims as he points his finger at the lawyer, who just sits silently between him and his best friend.

 

“What me?” Yunho almost falls off the stool.

 

“Yunho’s manly and strong. I think he’s the type of man that Ji Eun likes, someone who can match her prowess and someone who’s manlier than her.”

 

Yunho acts cool and fights a smile. Deep inside, he’s very flattered at the thought of it. He wishes what Jaejoong said was true.

 

“It’s Yunho, isn’t it?” Jaejoong pokes Yoochun curiously. “It’s Yunho, right?”

 

“I don’t know, okay?” Yoochun growls. “Just leave Ji Eun alone.”

 

“Hahaha,” Jaejoong smirks mischievously. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

 

“Whatever, man.” Yoochun shakes his head and storms out in annoyance.

 

 Jaejoong smiles teasingly at Yunho. “What are you going to do if Ji Eun indeed likes you?”

 

“I don’t know,” Yunho says almost bashfully, but thankfully he regains his composure. “I guess whoever Ji Eun likes, he’s one lucky guy.”

 

“He’s lucky indeed.” Jaejoong agrees. “But whoever he is, he has to have a lot of stamina and strength. Dating Ji Eun could be intense. She’s mellowed over the years, especially since she opened her very own café, but back then, it was hard to keep up with her. She used to do Taekwondo and did very intense hobbies like mountain climbing. Yoochun and I almost died that one time we accompanied her. And she also drinks a lot. So her boyfriend shouldn’t be lightweight.”

 

“Are you badmouthing Ji Eun, Jaejoong-hyung?” Yoochun pops in from the corner. “You know she’ll kill you if she hears you saying those things behind her back.”

 

Jaejoong smiles unevenly and laughs nervously. “Don’t tell her I said that.”

As if on cue, Jaejoong’s phone beeps. “Oh my God,” Jaejoong cups the moment he brings out his phone. “Does Ji Eun have ESP or something? She just texted. She’s asking if we can have dinner together. She texted you, too?”

 

Yoochun shrugs. “No, but I’m busy rearranging my CD collection, anyway. You two go ahead.”

 

“Your CD collection can wait later. I’ll tell Ji Eun you’re coming, too.”

 

“No, I can’t go. I don’t feel like it.” Yoochun rebuffs his friend. “I—well, I… I just realize I have this interesting idea for a scene in my novel and I have to write it down as soon as I can before I lose my train of thoughts.”

 

“You’re such a loser, Park Yoochun. Fine,” Jaejoong groans. “But you better join us next time. And it will be your treat.”

 

 

“Alright.” Yoochun nods. “You two enjoy dinner without me.”

 

“Hahaha. We will. We’ll send you selfies, in case you miss us.”

 

“I’m not like you, Jaejoong. I don’t have separation anxiety.” Yoochun says irritably. “I’m going to my room to write that idea. Have fun you two.”

 

 

It could be Yunho’s deductive skills. It could be years of studying law and psychology. It could be Yoochun being so obvious. But from Yunho’s point of view, he can see everything so clearly. He doesn’t know how what to call the weird sensation he’s feeling in his stomach but he’s aware that his smile has turned upside down and that the excitement he felt has turned sour. If Jaejoong was right about one thing, it’s that the person Ji Eun likes live in the house. Apparently, he is so oblivious to it.