Chapter 2: Yoochun

Five in the Block

 

Sometimes Yoochun thinks that Jaejoong was born into a different gender. Not that Jaejoong’s gay or anything. He likes girls as much as Yoochun does. In fact, if there’s no one as girl-crazy as Jaejoong in the household. Ironically, in a house b with testosterone, Jaejoong assumes the maternal role.  

Maybe, it’s because Jaejoong grew up with sisters. He has seven of them, all of whom were older. It’s probably the reason Jaejoong has had a hard time dating. He knows women all too well and treats them really seriously and most of the girls he went out with never had the intention of being serious with him.

 

There was one girl Jaejoong treated differently, though. Lee Ji Eun, who Jaejoong sees more as a brother than a girl. Ji Eun makes up a third in a trio with Jaejoong and Yoochun.

 

Yoochun and Jaejoong had known each other since grade school. In junior high, they weren’t as popular as people thought they were. Yoochun was extremely shy then. He was always buried in books, reading classic novels that kids his age find too challenging. Jaejoong, on the other hand, got made fun of because he looked as frail as a girl. Then there was Lee Ji Eun who was one of the popular girls, but unlike the stereotypical popular girl, she wasn’t filthy rich, or extremely pretty, but she has a magnetic personality people were drawn to and she was almost in every sports club. She and Yoochun went to the same Taekwondo dojo and were sparring partners while she befriended Jaejoong after she rescues him from his bullies.

Ji Eun, although introduced much later to Yoochun and Jaejoong would, later on, become the trio’s glue. She’s extroverted by nature and craves for company most often. She planned many activities for the group and initiated most of the shenanigans. It was her personality that balanced Yoochun’s melancholic one and influenced the once so shy Jaejoong to come out of his shell.

 

It was Lee Ji Eun, who first introduced alcohol to both Yoochun and Jaejoong. In high school, Ji Eun had just confessed her love to her senior and was rejected. She heard from her brother that alcohol had the ability to wash off the pain. They found out he was wrong the hard way when a couple of soju bottles later, Yoochun was throwing up all over the place and Ji Eun was leaving her senior embarrassing voice mails. Jaejoong, they discovered, had a strong tolerance for alcohol, and he spent the night patting Yoochun’s back and cleaning after his mess and comforting a hysterical Ji Eun who demands her phone back after Jaejoong locked it away to spare her from making a bigger fool of herself.

The trio knew that the bottom of a cup was not where they’d find the solution to their problems. Still, since their discovery of alcohol, the trio would drink to their problems like the time when Jaejoong failed his college entrance exams or the time that Yoochun broke up with his long-term girlfriend. They realize, that it wasn’t the alcohol that was soothing them. Rather, it was each other’s company.

 

Tonight, though was a different occasion. Tonight, they are welcoming the newest addition to the household.

 

“I’m Lee Ji Eun. Wow, you’re really tall. You must be taller than Yunho. Hey, do you work out? You really have a good build. I can see your resemblance with Sang Hee-ssi. I guess good genes run in the family.” Ji Eun doesn’t hesitate to approach Changmin when she sees him. Her over friendliness takes the new tenant aback. Ji Eun, as always has this perpetually bright smile on her face, the kind of smile that disarms strangers in a similar way to Junsu’s. She’s almost as tall as Jaejoong and Yoochun and has an athletic built that developed from years of taekwondo.

 

“Noona!” Junsu jumps excitedly when he sees Ji Eun. The woman had an equally bright smile flashed to him. “Did you bring the lemon cakes?”

 

Ji Eun raises a package in her hands. “Only Junsu’s favorite.”

 

“Yes! Thank you, noona.” Junsu squeals as he thankfully receives the box from Ji Eun. Junsu looks to Changmin and says, “Ji Eun owns a coffee shop in the neighborhood. She also makes these very delicious desserts.”

 

Yoochun notices the sparkle in Changmin’s eyes as Junsu dangles the cake before him.

 

“Ji Eun-ah!” Jaejoong calls from the kitchen. “Can you help me with this?”

 

“Oh, sure!” Ji Eun dashes to the kitchen. Jaejoong tosses an apron towards her and she catches it and ties it around her waist. They moved rhythmically as if they were in sync. Watching them work in the kitchen always feels like watching a performance. Jaejoong‘s hands always gracefully dance when he sprinkles a dash of this spice or when he methodologically stirs the ladle. Ji Eun, on the other hand, was fast with her hands. She cuts vegetables like a machine and tosses them nimbly to Jaejoong.

 

“Are they a couple?” Yoochun hears Changmin’s voice from behind. The youngest and newest tenant had been watching them in awe as well.

 

“Ji Eun-ah, Jaejoong-ah, Changmin’s asking if you two are a couple?” Yoochun calls out his best friends.

 

“What?” Ji Eun raises her chin up and growls.

 

“She wishes.” Jaejoong slowly slips an arm around Ji Eun and smirks coolly.

 

“As if I’d date a tool like you!” Ji Eun lifts her knife dangerously to Jaejoong and he instantly flings away from her.

 

“Hey! You could stab me with that.” Jaejoong fights back with a spatula.

 

Yoochun turns to Changmin and sighs. “They’re always like that. Please don’t mind them.”

 

When dinner is almost ready, Yoochun orders Junsu to set the table. While the younger man busies himself setting up the plates, Yoochun stands in the corner with his hands on is waist, directing Junsu what to do as if he were his manager. It’s simply a joke at first, but Junsu can’t tell he’s being trolled and follows the older man’s orders obediently.

 

“Junsu, can you fetch me a washcloth,” Jaejoong instructs from the kitchen counter.

 

“Oi, Junsu, bring out the shot glasses. We’re drinking after dinner.” Yoochun orders.

 

Junsu waltzes back and forth, confused which of his hyungs he should follow first until Ji Eun speaks up in his defense. 

 

“Can you guys cut it out,” She glares at Jaejoong and Yoochun. He turns to Junsu with a look of pity on her face, “They’re messing with you, Junsu. If they try to order you around again, tell them to do it themselves. It’s not like they don’t have any hands or feet.”

 

“Oh, you guys.” Junsu just shrugs, taking no offense at his housemates, but he smiles gratefully at Ji Eun.

 

“Sorry, Junsu.” Yoochun apologizes, patting the younger man’s shoulder. Despite the constant bullying, there’s no bad blood between them. In an unspoken agreement, the constant squabble and tormenting is a form of endearment. Junsu knows this very well. It’s exactly why he’s so forgiving towards his hyungs.

 

Changmin gets uncomfortable watching everyone work but him.             “Is there anything I can help with?” He volunteers.

 

 “You’re our guest, Changmin. Sit back and relax for now.” Jaejoong insists.

 

It wasn’t long then until Jaejoong announces in a singsong voice that dinner is served. While Ji Eun and Yoochun set the food on the table, the ‘mother hen’ of the house lures out the ascetic lawyer.

 

With his disheveled hair, large bags underneath his bloodshot eyes, and a five o’clock shadow forming on his chin, Jung Yunho clearly looked overworked. But despite his weariness, he still stands with a dignified posture.

 

“Hello. I’m Jung Yunho,” He greets Changmin. “Attorney Jung Yunho,” he repeats.

 

Yoochun rolls his eyes in amusement. Ever since Jung Yunho passed the bar exams, he takes every opportunity to remind people of his title. Just a few days ago, while passing by Yunho’s room, Yoochun spots a carved wooden board hung on top of Yunho’s dashboard.  Yunho also has a car sticker that says, ‘Just got Laywered’ plastered on his laptop so that when he’s working at a coffee shop, people would immediately know about his accomplishments. Had Yunho not been deathly afraid of needles, he might even get a tattoo that says ‘Attorney Jung’ on his forehead.

 

“Yunho-ssi, I see you’ve been working really hard.” Ji Eun gestures the empty seat beside her. “Here, have a seat.”

 

“Now that we’re complete and everyone is introduced to Changmin, let’s eat,” Jaejoong announces.

 

At dinner, Jaejoong watches Changmin intently, gauging his reaction. The new tenant doesn’t shy from expressing his true feelings. He sips the food and chews with gusto and mutters ‘Yummy,’ after every bite. Jaejoong looks very pleased with himself. Finally, he’s getting the recognition he feels he deserved. This is the kind of reaction he expects from the members.

 

While they eat, Yoochun smoothly facilitates the conversation. He forgets how he started it, but they end up discussing everyone’s love life and since Ji Eun and all of the tenants but Changmin had non-existent ones, Changmin became the center of attention.

 

Jaejoong curiously asks privy questions about Changmin’s girlfriend and Changmin expertly deflects the question by commenting on the food.

 

 After Ji Eun’s lemon cakes were served and devoured, Yunho stands to excuse himself.

 

“I have to go now.”

 

Ji Eun tugs Yunho’s sleeve and shakes her head in disapproval. “Not yet, Yunho-ssi. I’ve prepared a game. Stay for a while. I’m sure you still have time to finish your work tomorrow.”

 

Yunho hesitates and considers it for a bit.

 

“Yunho, It’s Jalgeum night. You can’t miss Changmin’s first one.” Jaejoong pleads “After all, Jalgeum night was your idea from the very beginning.”

 

“What’s Jalgeum night?” The youngest inquired.

 

“It’s this mandatory gathering that Yunho initiated after Jaejoong and I arrived,” Yoochun responds. “You see, once in every week, we make it to a point to come together.”

 

“What do you do?”

 

“Sometimes, we watch a movie, play board games, go out for karaoke,“ Junsu enumerates. “Anything really. Sometimes, when we’re tired, we just sit in the living room and talk over our drinks. Sometimes, we just stare at each other until one of us dozes off.”

 

“Sounds kind of fun,” Changmin nods.

 

“It really is.” Junsu agrees energetically.

 

“Fine, I’ll stay.” Yunho decides and sits back on his chair. “But I can’t stay up too late or drink too much.”

 

“Don’t worry.” Ji Eun says reassuringly. “In this game I have in mind, if you play well, not even a sip of alcohol will touch your lips.”

 

“If that’s the case, then I don’t want to win,” Yoochun says acerbically.

 

“What kind of game is it?” Junsu’s eager to win. Aside from being extremely competitive, he also cannot hold his drink. So, it seems the only way for him to participate in the game is to win.

 

“Well, I thought of this game because tonight we’re joined for the first time by Changmin. This game would allow us to get to know him more and allow us to get reacquainted with each other.” Ji Eun eyes the men one by one. “Truth or Lies,” She smirks as the men nod in approval. “The mechanics is simple. We’re going to split by pair so there are three teams all in all. Each round, we’re going to pour ourselves a drink. One team will present a statement and the others have to guess whether the statement is a lie or a truth. If the opponent guesses right, then the loser has to drink. The teams that also guessed right have the right to pass on their drinks to the loser. But if a team fails to guess, then they have to drink and the winner can deflect to a losing team of their choice.

 

 

Yunho holds his hand up, “Say for example that all teams have guessed right does that mean that the losing team has to drink thrice?”
 

“Yes, that’s very possible.”

 

Junsu raises his hand like a student in a class, “Can I still participate even if I choose not to drink.”

 

“You can pair up with Jaejoong,” Yoochun suggests. “Jaejoong will drink for you.”

 

“Sure, I’ll pair up with Junsu.” Jaejoong concurs. As the person with the strongest tolerance for alcohol, Jaejoong has always relegated himself as the lightweight’s receiver. In Junsu’s case, he can only last after two shots. Jaejoong will have to do most of the work

 

“I’ll pair up with Yunho.” Ji Eun announces. “You know what they say, that a lawyer is a good liar.”

 

“Not Yunho,” Jaejoong says. “Yunho may be a lawyer but he’s working in the prosecutor’s office, compiling evidence and facts to build cases against criminals.”

 

“Well, he still went to Law school.” Ji Eun says defensively. “Even if he’s not a liar, I’m pretty sure he can detect liars.”

 

Junsu groans. “So unfair. I want to pair up with Yunho.”

 

“Don’t worry, Junsu,” Jaejoong assures his teammate. “I think we’re going to make a great team. We’re going to beat you, Ji Eun.”

 

“Heh,” Ji Eun smirks. “Just you try.”

 

“So that leaves me with Changmin.” Yoochun smiles confidently. “I’m pretty sure we have the edge here. We just met Changmin, so none of you can predict him. I, on the other hand, have known Ji Eun and Jaejoong since junior high, so I can tell whether they’re lying or not.”

 

“Yoochun, stop gloating and let’s just play and find out.” Ji Eun declares as he distributes shot glasses to everyone.

 

Yoochun affirms his prediction as he and Changmin slay the game. They are playing so well that Yoochun stops adhering to the rules and takes his shot despite winning the round, instead of passing the drink on to the losers. Ji Eun and Yunho comes in second. Yunho’s deductive lawyering skills weren’t much of a help, as Ji Eun thought, but at least they were doing a lot better than Jaejoong and Junsu who were the biggest losers of the game. When you pair the most innocent member with the most candid one in a lying game, you’ll get an unwinnable team. Despite Jaejoong’s high tolerance for alcohol, the unlimited outpour of booze from losing round after round is starting to dwindle his inhibition.

 

A couple of losses later, Jaejoong starts to talk like a toddler, hinting that the alcohol has taken over him. With his partner down, Junsu feels guilty for not helping Jaejoong drink. In the last round, Junsu’s resolve collapses and he accepts the drinks poured for him despite being aware of the consequences later.

When Junsu passes out and drops face down on the table, they decide to conclude the game.

 

“I’m going to retire to bed now.” Yunho declares as he stands to his feet.

“Thanks for staying, Yunho.” Ji Eun offers the lawyer a grateful smile. “We know you’re busy, but you still stayed.”


“Good night.” Yunho starts walking back to his room but stops midway and turns around. “I think Junsu and Jaejoong should retire as well.”

 

“What? Me? But me is still not zleepy…” Jaejoong whimpers childishly.

 

Yunho ambles towards him and hauls him up on his feet effortlessly with one hand. “I’ll send Jaejoong to bed. You guys take care of Junsu, okay? And Yoochun, call Ji Eun a cab and make sure she gets home safely.”

 

“Yes, Attorney Jung.”

 

“Yoochun-hyung,” Changmin speaks. After a couple of shots, he’s less timid than before. “I’m also going to bed. It’s been a long day for me.”

 

“Of course. Rest well.”

 

The youngest and newest tenant excuses himself and wishes everyone good night.

 

“It’s just the two of us now, Ji Eun.” Yoochun sighs. “Do you know how we managed to stay til the end?”

 

“It’s because you and I are great liars.” Ji Eun answers. Yoochun nods his head in agreement.
 

“This is a pretty rare occurrence, huh?” Ji Eun looks to Yoochun. “Us outdrinking Jaejoong, I mean.”

“We didn’t really outdrink him. I’ve only had five or six shots. He must’ve drunk more than four bottles.” Yoochun says a-matter-of-factly. “He and Junsu really at that game.”

“Hey Yoochun-ah, do you still want to play?” Ji Eun inquires. “I have one more statement I want to you to guess.”

 

Yoochun pours Ji Eun a drink and then himself. “Okay, go shoot.”

 

Yoochun notices the faint trembling of Ji Eun’s hands as she massages the glass, the slight quivering of her lips, and the fall of her shoulders. As a novelist, Yoochun notices these very small details about people and as Ji Eun’s friend, he knows her too well that he doesn’t need to hear her next statement to conclude that she will say something factual.

 

Junsu, who’s hunched over the table, moves for a brief moment. Ji Eun waits for him to still before she blurts out, “I’m in love with one of my best friends,”

 

“Jaejoong, right.” It wasn’t a question but a statement. He’s always had a feeling that her female best friend was in love with his other best friend. He’s sensed it before, but he never mentioned it, because a part of him knows that he was responsible for igniting that fire.

 

Ji Eun mimics Junsu’s position and buries her face on the table. “Of course, I mean Jaejoong. I wouldn’t have told you if I meant you.”

 

Yoochun sighs in relief and Ji Eun hears that. “Why? Would my feelings be a burden to you? Do you think it would be troublesome, had it been you?”

 

“It’s not that,” Yoochun shrugs. “It’s just that it’s a lot to take in, you know.”

 

“Is it? Do you think Jaejoong would feel the same way, too? If I tell him now, would Jaejoong think it’s troublesome?” Ji Eun lifts her face from the table.

 

Yoochun ponders. Ji Eun would not like the answer, but Yoochun knows she’d appreciate the truth more.

 

“You know Jaejoong’s personality very well.” The bespectacled man answers contritely. “He’s the type of person who would try his best to please you, even at his own expense. I think it would give him a hard time, Ji Eun. I mean, you mean very much to him…as a friend that is.”

 

“This is all your fault.” Ji Eun says dejectedly.

 

“How is it my fault?” Yoochun acts innocent.

 

“Because you can’t hold your drink longer than me, and when you get drunk, you pass out like Junsu here and leave me alone with him.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Yoochun apologizes. “Next time that the three of us drink, I’ll try to drink more slowly.”

 

“That’s not your only fault!” Ji Eun glares at him.

 


“I know.” Yoochun sighs. “Is it my story?”

 

“It’s because of your stupid story. This all started because of that story.” Ji Eun snaps and punches Yoochun’s shoulder. The novelist winces. Ji Eun has a heavy fist and her punch could easily bruise him. But he lets her hit him because he felt even greater guilt seeing her this vulnerable.

 

Yoochun remembers that for his Advance Literature class in high school, wherein the class was asked to submit a short story as a final project, Yoochun had written a romantic story about a tough optimistic girl and an effeminate frail boy. After turning in the short story, he’s continued writing more chapters until it became a twenty chapter novel. The book has caught fire among the students of the school that a publisher took notice of it. That was how Yoochun realized he had a wonderful gift in writing. But Yoochun admittedly knows he couldn’t write stories that were entirely fictional because most of the things he wrote were things he observed in real life and most of the characters he wrote were based on people he knew. Such as the case with his school project turned novel. Who would have thought that a fan fiction he wrote about Jaejoong and Ji Eun would turn out to be a hit? Who would have thought that a fan fiction would cause one of his friends to develop feelings for the other?

 

“Did you get carried away by my writing?”

 

“Yes! That’s why I’m never reading your books ever again. Why do you have to be such a goddamn good writer? Just reading that story made me almost believe in it.” Ji Eun lunges forward, threatening to throttle Yoochun. Yoochun skillfully dodges her. He’s developed the muscle memory of dodging her attacks when they used to spar in Taekwondo together. Ji Eun almost topples over Junsu, but Yoochun quickly pulls her away from the sleeping housemate.

 

Once Ji Eun has regained her balance, her face falls sullen. There’s a pool of tears threatening to fall from her eyes, yet she offers her best friend a sweet yet tragic smile.  “Yoochun, I thought I could ignore this, but it’s getting really harder. I’ve been keeping this to myself for years now, but I don’t think I can keep it in any longer.”

 

Yoochun extends his hand and pats Ji Eun head. He can’t imagine what it’s like to be in Ji Eun’s position. But he also knows it wouldn’t be easy on Jaejoong’s part as well. But for him who can see everything from the sidelines; for him who’s torn between his closest friends, it’s not easy for him, too. Why does it have to be this complicated?

 

“Ji Eun-ah, if you think you can tell Jaejoong, I don’t see why you shouldn’t. It’s cliché, but the truth will set you free. I don’t want you to wait until you explode.”

 

“What if it gets awkward?”

 

“That’s a normal reaction.”

 

“But it won’t be the same anymore, Yoochun.”

 

Yoochun nods solemnly. “It probably wouldn’t.”

 

“Do you think I have a chance?”

 

“Maybe.” Yoochun answers, but it wasn’t an optimistic ‘maybe’ and Ji Eun knows this.

 

Ji Eun gulps her drink and sighs deeply. She buries her face in her hand. Yoochun had known Ji Eun for a decade now, but she has rarely shown this vulnerable side of her.

 

Yoochun’s hand doesn’t leave Ji Eun’s head. He allows it to rest there for a while to remind Ji Eun that he’s always right by her side. Ji Eun doesn’t cry, but the sound of her silence is more piercing and haunting.