Chapter 6: Changmin

Five in the Block

 

“Changmin-ah, why is there a big frown plastered on your face? If you continue wearing that, you’ll give your classmates a bad impression of yourself.” Kyuhyun, Changmin’s childhood friend teases him, the moment Changmin arrives in the university with a frown deeply engraved on his handsome face. Choi Minho, his other friend chuckles silently behind him.

 

“Shut up, guys. I have to head to class. I’m late.”

 

“No, you’re not.” Kyuhyun blocks Changmin’s way. “I accidentally gave you the Tuesday and Thursday schedule. Your class doesn’t start until later.”

 

“What?” Changmin roars as his friends flinch away from him. They’ve known Changmin for years and are accustomed to his sudden outbursts.

 

“You know I skipped breakfast because I thought I was late?” Changmin glares at his two friends. They pretend to look remorseful, but Changmin knows they’re holding back their laughter.

 

“Sorry, about that, Min.” Choi Minho apologizes. In his casual jeans and oversize hoodie, Minho almost looks like a totally different person for not sporting a short clean haircut and the soccer team’s varsity jacket.

 

 

 In high school, he was the team captain of the soccer club. Aside from being sporty, Minho’s Changmin’s friend that likes to brood a lot. People might think that at first glance, he’s depressed or in a really tough situation, but Minho was a silent practical joker.

“Here’s your schedule.” Kyuhyun hands Changmin his schedule. As the designated genius of the group, and the sole person Changmin can rely on when it comes to academics and school related matters like enrollment (It was Cho Kyuhyun who organized Changmin’s courses in architecture, and Minho’s and his courses in Engineering). Cho Kyuhyun was the high school’s salutatorian and a Math Olympiad who participated in quiz bowls around the nation.

 

 It’s a given fact that both of Changmin’s closest friends are overachievers, which just proves how selective he was with his friends. But even if Changmin has the least overwhelming track record, he is considered his group’s alpha. Primarily, because he acts like an alpha and is the first one to get a girlfriend, which, by high school standard is the highest form of achievement. In high school, the level of social status was measured by how attractive your girlfriend was and Go Shina, was considered the high school goddess, which meant Changmin was at the top of the social pyramid.

 

“Did I miss a lot during orientation week?” Changmin asks.

 

“There were tours and orientations,” Kyuhyun answers. “Oh, and there was a welcoming party for all freshmen, but I couldn’t stay long because I don’t want to miss the last bus. Minho stayed, however.”

 

“It went crazy.” Minho narrates. “By twelve midnight, the seniors started to bring out the booze. It was a lot of fun. Why did you miss the first week?”

 

“I had to settle into my new apartment.”

 

“How’s Shina, by the way?” Kyuhyun inquires.

 

“She’s good, but I haven’t spoken to her that much since she arrived in Japan. I understand that she’s also busy settling down.”

 

“Too bad you’re tied up. There’s a lot of pretty girls in college.” Kyuhyun smirks.

 

“Shut up, Kyu.” Changmin reproves his friend. “You talk like a Casanova, but you can’t even form a complete sentence in front of a girl.”

 

Minho snickers in agreement.

 

“I’ve had my practice over the summer,” Kyuhyun says defensively. “I’ve stumbled upon this blog and it has a very well-written step by step guide on how to talk to girls.”

 

“You’re such a nerd, Kyu.” Changmin shakes his head. He swirls around and pats his belly. “Guys, I’m not kidding. I’m really hungry. Can you lead me to the cafeteria?”

 

“Let’s go,” Minho says, “Before the Kraken awakes.”

 

In the cafeteria, a senior hands them a flyer for soccer tryouts. Minho, who’s interested receives the flyer and places it before Changmin. “I’m going to try out. Are you interested?”

 

“I have to pass,” Changmin replies sullenly. “My aunt says architecture is very hectic. I think I won’t have much free time in the future.”

 

“Too bad,” Minho says disappointedly. “It would be nice to play with you. It would just be like in high school.

 

“Minho, why are you only inviting Changmin, huh and not me?” Kyuhyun asks.

 

“Kyu, you can’t even dribble a ball.”

 

“I know you’re discriminating me because I’m a Mathlete? How dare you, Choi Minho? Might I remind you that if it weren’t for me, you’d have failed Advance Algebra.”

 

“Okay, fine. Kyu, do you like to join the team” Minho has no choice but to surrender.

 

“No, sorry, Minho. I was going to sign up for the Glee Club, anyway.”

Minho groans, “You just want me to ask you, so you could turn me down? Classic, Kyu.”

 

Changmin chuckles as his friends argue. “Let’s settle this argument after I get back. I’m still hungry. I’m just going to get another food.”

 

Kyuhyun looks up at Changmin and rolls his eyes. “Such glutton…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There’s a lot of choices in the cafeteria. Changmin scans every food stall before deciding what to get. He finally finds what he wants at the third stall. He doesn’t remember the last time he’s had Spicy Chicken. Oh wait, he does. That was over a month ago, he was with Go Shina then. He remembers he had to order another serving with a milder level of spiciness for Shina.

 

“One order of Spicy Chicken, please.”

 

“You’re in luck. This is the last serving.” The lady in the booth says.

 

Changmin feels greatly satisfied. Knowing that he’s gotten the last serving has even made him more voracious. He takes a minute to admire the dish in his hands. He takes a second to smell it, to appreciate its color and texture and to imagine the feel of it in his mouth. Changmin admits to himself that he can be a glutton, but he doesn’t just devour food. He takes a bit of time to appreciate its goodness.

 

He misses Shina. She didn’t like spicy food that much, so whenever she accidentally orders a spicy meal, she’d let Changmin finish it.

 

“Hey, there are still seats availa—Ow!“

 

It feels as if time slows down, and Changmin helplessly watches the dish of spicy chicken fly out of his hands into the cold concrete floor.

 

“I’m sorry.” A brown-haired girl looks up at Changmin.

 

“Yah! Watch where you’re going. Look what you just did.” Changmin bellows, pointing at the spilled food on the floor.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” The girl apologizes profusely. “I was so clumsy—“

 

“Yeah, you were.” Changmin spats.

 

“Here,” The girl digs into her pocket. “Let me reimburse you at least.”

 

Changmin shakes his head in annoyance. “Useless. That was the last serving.”

 

“Well, maybe you can buy something else.”

 

“It doesn’t work like that. The stomach wants what the stomach wants and now the stomach can’t be satisfied.” Changmin glares with enmity that the girl instantly flinches.

 

The girl takes a deep breath and grabs one of Changmin’s hands. “Just take my money at least. There’s no point in crying over spilled milk, in this case, spilled food.”

 

Changmin, in turn, grabs one of her hands and stuff her money back to her. “I don’t need your money. I can buy any food that I can with my own, but I can never have Spicy Chicken today.”

 

Changmin walks back dejectedly to his friends. Since his craving has not been satisfied, his mood is going to be sour for the rest of the day.

 

 

 

 

Changmin almost forgets about the incident earlier in this morning. He just attended one of his major classes and finds the prospect of it very interesting. He likes his professors, so far and he’s excited to begin working on projects. Since he missed the orientation week, his classmates had been helpful to him, advising him which books to get and which materials to buy. He’s proud to say that he’s getting along well with everybody.

 

As Changmin leaves his classroom, he’s surprised to find the same girl at the cafeteria this morning waiting for him across the corridor. His great mood has instantly dissipated when he remembers the wasted Chicken.

 

“Shim Changmin?”

 

“How do you know my name?” He glares at her.

 

“Well, I ask around and because you’re tall, you’re not that difficult to find.” She beams at him. Changmin’s confused at her niceness. What did he do to deserve it? A while ago, he didn’t get look at her very well, but now that she’s standing a few meters from him, he notices that she’s actually quite pretty. She has a round affable face, a pair of rosy cheeks that protrude when she smiles, and a set of straight pearly white teeth.

 

“What do you want?” Changmin scowls, and this time, she doesn’t seem intimidated by him.

 

“Here.” She hands him a paper bag.

 

“What’s this?”

 

“Spicy Chicken.” She says enthusiastically. “You lamented about not having one today. So I decided to make you one.”

 

Changmin raises his eyebrows. “How did you?”

 

The girl takes out her ID. “I’m Choi Sooyoung, a second-year culinary student. I have access to the cooking laboratory, so after pleading with my instructor, he allowed me to use the kitchen. Oh, did I mention I am a second-year culinary student? I did? Well, I’m your sunbae.”

 

Changmin sighs exasperatedly. “You didn’t have to do this, you know.”

 

“Just say thank you and I’ll be on my way.” Sooyoung offers.

 

“Well, thank you,” Changmin says as he begrudgingly accepts Sooyoung’s package.  He hesitates for a while before he says, “And I’m sorry.”

 

“Are you sorry because you were acting like a jerk? Or are you sorry because you just realized that you’ve disrespected a sunbae?”

 

“Well, both,” Changmin admits. “I just get prickly when I’m hungry. I can’t help it.”

 

“You’re like a lion. You’re dangerous when you’re hungry.” Sooyoung chuckles. “Well, you should keep yourself full all the time, Changmin-ssi. You don’t want to cause World War III.”

 

“Understood.” Changmin nods in agreement.

 

“Well, if ever you’re hungry, you should drop by the Culinary department and look for me,” Sooyoung suggests. “Our classes makes all kinds of dishes every day, and we can’t really eat them all. Most of us take the food home, but as I live in the dorms, and don’t have a fridge of my own, I’d rather give my food away.”

 

“Really?” Changmin’s mood lightens up. “You’re not just making false promises, are you?”

 

“I’m not,” Sooyoung swears. “Tomorrow’s our first class for the semester and we’re making pasta.”

 

“Aah. I love Italian food.” Changmin says in delight.

 

“So, I’ll see you then,” Sooyoung says expectantly.

 

“How can I say no to food?”

 

“Great. Then, I’ll see you.” Sooyoung smiles toothily as she waves goodbye. Changmin waves back before feeling a weird disconcerted sensation in his stomach. He suddenly feels a pang of guilt hit him.

 

‘It’s not like I’m cheating on Shina.’ He rationalizes. ‘I just agreed to it because it’s free food and it’s ungracious to reject the offer.’

 

‘But you thought she’s pretty,’ an inner voice tells him and he shakes his head.

 

‘Changmin, it’s okay to find other girls pretty. That’s a normal reaction from a healthy male specimen. Just don’t forget that there’s someone dear to you in Japan.’

 

Changmin fishes for his phone and opens his gallery, so he can scan through pictures of him and Shina together. When was the last time she texted him? He can’t even remember.

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m home,” Changmin announces, the moment he arrives at his aunt’s apartment.

 

Yoochun’s eyes are glued to the TV, but he waves a hand at Changmin. Junsu pauses his game on the phone and greets Changmin warmly. Yunho, who’s seated in the dining room is too busy scribbling madly on his notebook to acknowledge his arrival and Jaejoong waves his spatula from the kitchen.

 

“What’s that?” The smell of Sooyoung’s spicy chicken catches Yoochun’s attention and he tears his gaze from the screen and inspects Changmin.

 

“Spicy Chicken. A sunbae prepared this for me.”

 

“Oooh.” Changmin hears Jaejoong from the kitchen. “Look at you. Popular with girls on the first day.”

 

“How do you know she’s a girl?”

 

“Duh?” Jaejoong smirks teasingly. “Do you think a guy would go all the way to prepare food for you?”

 

“Are you saying you’re not a guy? Coz you go all the way and prepare food for us?” Changmin retorts sarcastically.

 

“Eu kyang kyang.” Junsu’s laughter echoes.

 

Jaejoong descends from the kitchen and wipes his hands on his apron. “Dinner will be served in ten minutes. But Changmin, that smells really amazing. Do you mind if I have some?”

 

“Me too.” Yoochun drags himself off the couch.

 

“Sure.” Changmin puts his bag down on the floor and opens Sooyoung’s package. The Chicken is contained in a pink Tupperware. Changmin feels the intense excitement of his roommates as he unboxes it.

 

He offers the box one by one to his roommates. Even Yunho, couldn’t resist the inviting smell, as he paused from the work he’s doing to sample Sooyoung’s chicken.

 

“Goddamn,” Jaejoong curses.

 

“Why? Is it bad?” Changmin asks. He takes one piece and tries it for himself. His eyes widen instantly as an amalgamation of flavors explode in his mouth.

 

“It’s so good, right? This is the best Spicy Chicken I’ve had. It’s got the right amount of sweetness and spiciness. This is Uh-mazing.”Jaejoong exclaims.

 

“Sorry to say this, hyung, but this is even better than yours,” Yoochun tells Jaejoong begrudgingly. The older man acknowledges the fact with graciousness.

 

“Wow! This is so good,” Junsu exclaims. “Can I have some more?”

 

Jaejoong snatches the box from Changmin and lifts it above his head. “This one would go well with the dish I just prepared. This will be the main dish.”

 

“So, who did you say made that chicken?” Yunho turns to Changmin. He just finished his chicken, and though he wasn’t as expressive as the other three, the fact that he paused from his work, showed that he enjoyed eating it just as much.

 

“A sunbae from the culinary department.”

 

“Ah, no wonder it’s so good. It’s from a semi-professional.” Jaejoong says with awe. “But even if the chef of this dish has proper training, it wouldn’t be as good as this if she didn’t possess any talent. Tell me, was she pretty, too?”

 

Changmin hesitates, but there’s no point in lying about it. “Yeah, she was?”

 

“You should never let that kind of girl get away,” Jaejoong says thoughtlessly. “A girl who’s pretty and good in the kitchen is a rare gem to find.”

 

Yoochun just finishes his piece. He looks up at Changmin and asks “Changmin, don’t you have a girlfriend?”

 

“I know,” Changmin says defensively. There’s no reason for him to be defensive. Yoochun was just asking, yet he hates the way Yoochun looks intently at him, like he’s waiting for Changmin to admit something wrong.

 

“Why do you sound so defensive?” Yoochun picks up on Changmin’s tone.

 

“I’d never cheat on my girlfriend if that’s what you’re thinking.”

 

“Oh, I wasn’t implying that at all. But that’s good to know that you’ll remain faithful, although, I don’t see the point of you trying to tell me that.” The writer says pompously.

“I’m just clarifying things for you before you make any judgments.” Changmin seethes, curling his hands into a closed fist.

 

“Who’s judging who?” Yoochun’s voice rises.

 

As the maknae shifts closer to the writer and the writer stands straighter to appear taller, the tension in the room rises. Junsu prepares himself to step in, in case one of the guys start pouncing on the other. Jaejoong positions himself closer to Yoochun, ready to grab him in case he attacks first.

 

But it’s Yunho who knows how to diffuse the situation. He takes a step in front of Jaejoong casually and grabs the Tupperware of Chicken from his hand and stuffs a piece in each of Changmin’s and Yoochun’s mouth.

 

“You guys are just hungry.” He clicks his tongue while giving them both a disapproving look. “C’mon, let’s have dinner? Is it ready, hyung?”

 

“Ah yes.” Jaejoong sighs in relief and gives Yunho a grateful smile. “Junsu-ya, will you help me set the table.”

 

“Sure hyung,” Junsu nods enthusiastically.

 

The atmosphere relaxes as both Changmin and Yoochun finish their piece of chicken.

 

 “Sorry,” Yoochun mutters softly to the maknae. “I didn’t mean to sound so condemnatory.”

 

“It’s cool.” Changmin nods.