Chapter 3: Jaejoong

Five in the Block

No matter how late Jaejoong stays up, his body clock always puts him up by six in the morning. He squirms in bed, wincing at his terrible headache. He stays still for a couple of minutes before finally getting up.

 

As usual, Jaejoong does his daily routine. He checks himself in the mirror and inspects his face. Admittedly, he is a little vain, but as one that earns a living from his appearance, it’s necessary for him to be constantly checking in on his body.

 

Jaejoong checks his phone. He sees a message from an unsaved number, but he knows who it’s from. Then there’s a text message sent by Ji Eun, informing him that she’s gone home safely. He doesn’t’ remember how he ends up in his room. He must’ve been so drunk last night.

 

After replying to Ji Eun, Jaejoong tosses his phone on his bed and grabs his cardigan.

 

Normally on weekdays, he prepares everyone’s breakfast and lunch, living up to his moniker as the mother of the house. But since it’s Sunday, most of the housemates would wake up much later. He’s too lazy to prepare anything today, so he grabs a bowl, pours a cereal from Junsu’s pantry (Junsu doesn’t mind if he does) and grabs a carton of milk from the fridge.

 

After he’s had breakfast, he feels so much better. He has some plans to do today, an important person to visit, and he remembers he promised to bring food the next time they meet. He takes out all the ingredients from the fridge and starts preparing.

 

While he’s chopping the cabbage, Yunho walks out from his room with a towel hung on his neck. “Good morning,” he mutters.

 

“Good morning,” Jaejoong responds.

 

“Hungover?”

 

“A little bit,”

 

“I have some ginseng tea in the cupboard. That might help.” Yunho offers.

 

“Oh thanks,”

 

Yunho nods as he leaves for the bathroom. As usual, he gets up at seven am every weekend and always hits the shower first, before he disappears back into his room to work.

Yunho and Jaejoong’s exchanges are usually very short and simple. It’s not that they don’t get along well. They both have never been in a fight or an argument. Jaejoong just sometimes feel that Yunho is intimidating. It’s his aura and posture, and the way he speaks and carries himself that makes Jaejoong feel inadequate as a person. Jaejoong always feel like Yunho has everything figured out and that he has his life planned out ahead. When Jaejoong tries to evaluate himself, he always finds himself lost. Unlike Yunho who’s goals have already been set, Jaejoong is still not sure about what he wants.

 

Yunho steps out of the bath forty minutes later, just as Jaejoong finishes the dish he’s prepared. Yunho crosses the kitchen to his room and glances back at Jaejoong. There’s a strange atmosphere between them. They weren’t always this awkward until not so long ago Yunho discovered a secret of Jaejoong that no one was supposed to know.

 

Yunho is heading back to his room to continue with his work just as Jaejoong calls him. “Yunho, about last night… How drunk was I?”

 

“I guess you were so drunk because you started talking gibberish like a toddler.”

 

“,” Jaejoong curses. “Did I say anything weird? Did I say anything to Ji Eun and Yoochun?.”

 

“Don’t worry. Your secret is still safe.” Yunho assures him. He notices what Jaejoong is doing in the kitchen and asks, “Are you visiting them today?”

 

Before Jaejoong could answer, the door to Yoochun's room swings open and a lethargic Yoochun comes out dragging his feet lazily. The romance novelist stretches his arms and twists his torso. Seeing the older tenants, he nods at them, “Morning, guys.”

 

“You’re up unusually early.” Jaejoong comments. His best friend Yoochun usually stays up until noon during weekends and it’s always impossible to wake him off. For him to be up at the time this early is a miracle.

 

“I had a nightmare.” Yoochun cringes as he retrieves a garbage bag from the drawer.

 

“What is it about?” Yunho asks.

 

“That.” Yoochun simply pointed at the dining table from last night, where there still are bottles of soju, shot glasses and empty unwashed dishes. Yoochun starts his mission of collecting them. Jaejoong just shrugs his shoulders. He’s known Yoochun for a decade now and has gotten used to his obsession with cleanliness. Yunho, on the other hand, looks at Yoochun with awe. They’ve been roommates for six months now, and he's still amazed at Yoochun’s knack for cleaning, and while Jaejoong sees it as an annoying quirk, Yunho sees it as a talent.

 

“Are you making kimchee?” Yoochun pauses from cleaning and ambles towards Jaejoong. “That looks really good,”

 

“It’s not for you,” Jaejoong says as he moves the Tupperware of kimchee from Yoochun. “

“Are you visiting your sister today? Which one? Sooyoung-noona?”

 

“Yeah,” Jaejoong answers absent-mindedly.

 

Yoochun ties the garbage bag close and disposes it at the nearest garbage can. He looks back at Jaejoong as if he just remembers something. “Wait. Didn’t Sooyoung-noona sent us kimchee a few days ago because she’s made too much?”

 

Jaejoong gets flustered, “Oh, did you say Sooyoung-noona? I thought I heard Sookjin-noona. It’s Sookjin-noona I’m visiting today. My bad! I have a bit of hangover from last night.”

 

“Do you need an aspirin?” Yoochun asks worriedly before Jaejoong can answer Yunho takes something out from the cupboard.

 

“Here,” The lawyer hands Jaejoong a packet of ginseng tea. “I told you to have one.”

 

“Thanks,” Jaejoong pats Yunho’s back. He gets his mug from the cupboard and heats water from the thermos. Yoochun’s now collecting the dishes from last night and putting them in the sink to soak.

 

Jaejoong remembers something, “Yoochun, when was your book signing again? Was it today?”

 

“Yeah, at 3 in the afternoon.”

 

“Woah,” Yunho applauds. “I can’t believe I’m friends with a famous author. I mean, I can’t believe I share the same roof with a famous author.”

 

“And I’m best friends with that guy!” Jaejoong announces proudly. “Would you believe that I’m best friends with a best-seller?”

 

“Let’s not get too carried away. It’s just a small book signing event. It’s not a Nobel Prize.” Yoochun says modestly.

 

“Well not yet,” Jaejoong says enthusiastically.

 

“I hear your book is selling hot like pancakes. What’s the story about?” Yunho asks curiously.

 

“Ah well, it’s a love story,” Yoochun scratches his head. “Anyway, it’s too cheesy and girly for your liking. Most of my fans are in their high school.”

 

“Ah, .” Jaejoong shakes his head. “But I’m sure there are twenty-something girls, too, right?”

 

“Yeah, there are.”

 

“Then, great! If you find someone really pretty at your book signing, just don’t sign your signature. Leave her your number too.” Jaejoong suggests slyly.

 

“I can’t do that.” Yoochun chuckles. “With kids these days, it’s hard to tell who’s underage and who’s legal? What if I hit on a high schooler? I’d get into a lot of trouble.”

 

“Well, you won’t have to wait that long. What’s two or three years?”

 

“Hyung,” Yoochun rolls his eyes at his best friend who’s always proposing indecent ideas.

 

 

“I’m heading back to my room.” Yunho walks back to his room. He’s almost forgotten that his hair is dripping wet. He leaves a trail of droplets, much to the consternation of Yoochun, who sprints to the bathroom to retrieve the mop.

 

“Yunho! You’re getting the floor all wet.” Yoochun screams behind Yunho’s door. His voice must’ve woken up the other two as they came out of their respective room one after the other.

 

There is still a little bit of awkwardness with Changmin. As he saunters towards the kitchen, he takes slow steps as if he’s walking on thin ice. Junsu, whose light brown hair is disheveled in all directions commands attention, unlike the younger man. In contrast to Changmin’s almost soundless footsteps, Junsu’s are like thunderclaps. It was as if he’s wearing weights on his shins and he’s announcing his arrival to the whole house.

 

“Good morning. May I pass?” Changmin mumbles. He ducks his head when he passes by Jaejoong.

 

“Changmin, you don’t have to be so formal around us. We are a few years older, but not that far apart.” Jaejoong says. “From this day on, why don’t you call us ‘hyung’?”

 

At this, the game developer brightens up. “That’s a good idea. Changmin, you should call me Junsu-hyung,” he giggles excitedly. Before Changmin arrived, Junsu was the youngest member of the household. Though he is only a year younger than Yoochun, Jaejoong, and Yunho, Junsu is very much babied. Example, Yoochun, and Jaejoong would always boss him around and poke fun at him. As the youngest, he was the designated clown or the designated of the joke rather. But being the youngest has its perks as well like having the oh-so-kind Yunho bring lemon cakes from Ji Eun’s coffee shop, having Yoochun to run to for advice and last but not the least, being given the privilege to choose Jaejoong’s menu. With Changmin’s arrival, the ecosystem in the house would change, but Yoochun, who is most fond of teasing the former maknae had no plans of stopping.

 

“Junsu, what is age but a number.” The author says poetically, twirling his fingers in the air.

 

Junsu blinks obliviously.

 

“Changmin might be the youngest member in age,” Jaejoong explains for Yoochun. “But looking at Changmin, he’s beyond more mature than you.”

 

“Let Changmin speak for himself,” Junsu announces confidently. He gestures for Changmin to say something.

 

“Jaejoong-hyung’s right,” Changmin says nonchalantly. The former maknae lets out a dolphin-like squeak.

 

“Yah! You have corrupted the mind of our new member!” He glares at Yoochun and Jaejoong reproachfully.

 

“As the new maknae, I don’t think I can fill up your shoes,” Changmin speaks, a little bit more openly. He gestures towards Junsu’s feet.

 

Jaejoong and Yoochun guffaws and Junsu follows not long after. At twenty-six, Kim Junsu, a well-paid game developer dons a pair of pink bunny slippers. In his defense, these were given to him by Jaejoong on his birthday. He never thought of wearing it, but when he started using it, he discovered how comfortable it is.

 

 

After Jaejoong finishes preparing the meals, he showers and dresses up. When he leaves his room, Changmin and Junsu are already poised in front of the TV playing Junsu’s new PS4 game. Junsu squeals as Changmin’s car overtakes him and Changmin, who feels more at ease with them responds by taunting him back. Yoochun is sprawled lazily on the sofa with his books over his head and his legs crossed with poise. He looks up from his book from time to time to cheer on Changmin and tease Junsu. Jaejoong smiles at the scene, happy he’s housemates are getting along well.

 

“You’re leaving?” Junsu pauses the game and turns his attention to Jaejoong as he crossed the living room on the way out.

 

“Yeah, I might arrive late. So don’t wait for me. There’s food in the fridge that you can reheat for dinner.”

 

“Don’t worry about dinner. I’ll order pizza on my way home from my book signing.” Yoochun says. “By the way, Jaejoong,” Yoochun gets up from the couch and hands Jaejoong a neatly wrapped package.

 

“What’s this?”

 

“It’s my present for Sookjin-noona,” Yoochun says. “I know it’s a month late, but I was really embarrassed that I turned up to her birthday party last month without bringing anything.”

 

“Noona didn’t mind, you know. She was even glad you and Ji Eun made it.” Jaejoong says as he stuffs Yoochun’s package into his bag.

 

“Yeah, I know. But she was so kind to us. Please don’t forget to send her my regards.”

 

“Sure. I will.”

 

He feels guilt well up in his chest the moment he closes the door behind him. The truth is he’s not on his way to visit Sookjin-noona or any of his other noonas. He’s visiting his sister, a younger sister whom Yoochun doesn’t know about yet and his mother, his real biological mother.

 

His younger sister and mother lived downtown, in a shanty neighborhood that had a notorious reputation for being unsafe at night. He wonders how they’re managing with this living conditions, while, he, on the other hand, lives comfortably in a nice neighborhood with his best friend. When he discovers he was given up for adoption by his real mother, Jaejoong felt nothing but remorse for her, but when she sees this dire living condition, that anger turns to pity and that pity turns to gratitude. At least, he’s had an easier life.

 

Jaejoong is greeted by her younger sister at the door of their humble abode. She’s the spitting image of Jaejoong, pretty with large doleful eyes, a slender nose and a rosy complexion that tricks you into thinking she had it easy. Han Hye Rin is twenty and still in high school, and at such young age, she’s been through a lot of things Jaejoong can’t imagine. She’s supported herself and their mother by working random jobs, all the while studying in high school in hopes of getting into a good college.

 

Three months ago, she appeared in front of Jaejoong’s agency, claiming to be her younger sister. At first, he rebuked her, thinking she was one of her stalkers and told her to get lost. The next day, she appeared with documents in hand with proof that her claims were not lies. Jaejoong secretly consulted Yunho to verify the documents. It was how Yunho knew about this stealthy secret.

 

“Oppa,” He remembers her say. “I know that I’m being bothersome to you right now, but after thinking this through, I really wanted to see you.” Her shoulders were fidgeting as she swallowed the lump in . “Our mom is sick. She’s very sick. And I don’t think I can do this alone anymore.”

 

Jaejoong didn’t know how to feel towards Hye Rin. Their interactions always felt awkward, but as time grew, he learned how to admire her strength and resilience and she starts to open up to him more.

 

“Oppa,” She allows him in. “You’re just in time.” Hye Rin is wearing a green vest; her hair is neatly pulled into a bun.

 

“Are you leaving?”

 

“Yes,” Hye Rin nods as she ties her old ratty sneakers hurriedly. “I just got a call from the convenience store, one of the clerks is sick and they asked me to fill in for her.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Mom is asleep right now. If she wakes up, please let her drink the medicine I prepared on the bedside table. If you have any questions, call me. You have my number. If something terrible happens, God forbid, the number of the ambulance is written on a note I posted on the refrigerator, along with Dr. Ok’s contact details.”

 

Jaejoong is always taken aback by the maturity in her sister’s voice. She was ten years younger than him, and yet she spoke with an authority that made him almost forget he was the big brother.

 

“Did you have lunch already?” Jaejoong asks.

 

“I’ll have lunch on my way.”

 

“I brought you guys kimchee.”

 

“Thanks, but I have to go. You can put them in the fridge.”

 

Jaejoong nods solemnly. His sister nods one last time at him before she dashes off to work. The last thing Jaejoong notices before Hye Rin made a turn at the intersection was the ratty old sneakers that were threatening to fall apart.