The Sacrament

Scintillate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We arrived breathless at the bus stop, having run two miles without stopping. Jimin kept us hidden through the alley's shadows just in case there was any chance they were still looking for us.

“Oh ,” I said through wheezes as I noticed my blood-soaked shirt. “How am I going to hide this on the bus?!” I whispered frantically, even though the bus stop was empty of any witnesses. The adrenaline was starting to wear off and now I felt nothing but pure panic creeping up my shoulders.

Jimin looked at himself and then back at me, then started to take off his black hoodie. “What are you-” I began, but immediately faced away as the shirt underneath the hoodie rode up with it, revealing a beautifully toned torso. “Here, put this on,” He said, handing me the hoodie with a sly grin playing on his lips. “And you’re welcome.”

“Thank you,” I replied with a bit of a bow and put it on. There were faint blood stains on his hoodie, but they would be way easier to hide than my shirt. “I didn’t mean you’re welcome for the sweater,” Jimin teased, the grin spreading all the way to his eyes, shaping them into crescents.

“Shut the hell up Jimin,” I retorted with a huff, to which he just giggled.

If there was one word to describe that boy, it was giggly.

“It’s a bit big on you,” he stated, observing how it fit me with his head cocked to the side. “Yeah, but that’s fine. I love loose fitting clothes,” I confessed, playing with the sweater paws gleefully. I heard Jimin mutter something under his breath but didn’t quite catch it. “What did you say?"

He opened his mouth and closed it, looking to the left instead of answering. “Oh! The bus is here! Come on,” He said, rushing forward and leaving me behind.

Why the sudden awkwardness? Had I done something to make him uncomfortable?

I followed Jimin as he got on the nearly empty bus and went straight to the seats all the way in the back. I rushed for a window seat, barely beating Jimin to it. “Jeez, all you had to do was ask. No need to nearly run me over,” He exaggerated and I stuck out my tongue in response. “There’s plenty of other window seats available if you want one, Jimin,” I smiled smugly, turning to search for my phone in my jean pockets. By miracle, it was still there in my right pocket. I pulled it out, only to reveal a horribly cracked screen as I brought it up to my face. “Beautiful,” I mumbled out, peeved.

I felt Jimin sit down right next to me as I examined the damage, choosing to ignore the immediate warmth his body heat provided. I sighed and decided to be grateful that it at least still worked. I attempted to read the time and guessed that the screen read 10:54 pm. Had all of that really happened in the span of four or five hours?

I stared at my phone, scanning through each crack as I contemplated everything that had happened with Jimin until now. I felt my thoughts clouding my head, the adrenaline completely depleted and leaving me with nothing but a slight headache.

“Do you have any headphones?” I asked abruptly. I was itching to listen to some music to distract my mind from its racing thoughts. “What?” Jimin said with disbelief tainting his voice. “I kind of lost mine when everything happened,” I muttered, embarrassed for even asking and looked over to see Jimin with the most bewildered look on his face. Stupid, stupid, stupid I reprimanded myself.

Despite that, he searched in his jeans until he pulled out blue headphones.

“My savior!” I quietly exclaimed as he handed them to me. “I think it’s the other way around,” He countered, which made me halt my movements of untangling his headphones to look at him.

Why did he look so distraught about it all, when we were both completely fine?

“I didn’t die Jimin. Believe it or not, the gunshot didn’t hurt that much and I’d do it again because I can take it.” I stared at him with a forced smile.

You can take it because you’re a freak.

Jimin searched my face for a few seconds, searching for something he wouldn't find because I wouldn't let him.

“Are you sure you’re defected and not actually a robot?” He mouthed the word defected slowly, sensitive to the fact that we weren't alone, but I let out a chuckle at his remark. What I wouldn’t give to just be a damn robot. Maybe then, my feelings and my trauma wouldn’t keep me up in the middle of the night.

Jimin took it as a genuine chuckle and I could tell how satisfied he felt that he’d made me laugh. I left it at that and put the earbuds into my ears, opting to look out of the bus window. I felt all the exhaustion from tonight hit me all at once, my body screaming for more sleep and rest. Along with the exhaustion, I started to feel pressure on my shoulder and wondered if maybe I had hurt it while fighting.

I quickly went to rub it when I encountered something fluffy. I whipped my head around to see just what the hell I had grabbed and let out a small squeak.

Park Jimin was now asleep on my shoulder.

Did he think we were such close friends now, that he could just do this?! I had the urge to shove him off for being so comfortable around me when I had given him no reason to be. Or had I?

The strange feelings of distress coupled with the drowsiness I had been fighting off started to drag me down. No matter how much I had trained, today was the first time I had put any of it into practice. I let the thoughts of getting lost float up into the cold bus air because I still didn’t know where we were going and quite frankly didn’t care anymore. I was too tired to let my mind control my exhaustion any longer.

All I knew was that everything would change now and in no way for the better.

 

 

“What’s that from?!” He blurted out in surprise, but immediately retracted and composed himself, hands folded in front of him. “I mean…how did you get that?”

It was summer and I had finally summoned the courage to wear shorts.

We were meeting at the park like we often did after his part-time job, and of course, Jin knew what I had been through. He also knew I trusted him more than anything in this world. Moving to sit on the swing next to his, I started to fidget with the sand under my feet as I explained.

“I was ‘training’ once and I made a mistake. The superiors weren’t too happy that their golden child had ed up. My punishment was to heal an acidic burn,” I exhaled shakily. I stil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter