Another Day, Another Try

My Cursed Lineage

Hanmi woke up and got ready for another day... for auditioning, that is. She's tried all the companies there is, some of which are Starship, Woolim, JYP, YG, WM, and TOP Media. But she was extremely unfortunate, because none of these companies accepted her. Now this was her last try. If she fails, she's going to abandon her dream of stardom altogether.

 

Hanmi wore an eye-catching ensemble and rushed downstairs. Her older sister Eunmi was already up and awake, preparing breakfast.

 

"Morning, unnie!" said Hanmi as she sat on the table.

 

"Oh? Are you trying again? I like you outfit," said Eunmi as she put pancakes in her sister's plate.

 

"Thanks. Yup, I'm trying SM Ent. today. I hope Mr. Lee Soo Man will give me a chance," said Hanmi.

 

"Good luck!"

 

"Thanks!"

 

Hanmi took a bite our of her pancakes and glanced at her watch. "Omo! I'll be late! Don't touch my pancakes!"

 

Eunmi laughed as she watched her little sister put her boots on and rush out of the house. When she was gone, Eunmi glanced at their parents' picture sitting on the coffee table.

 

'A few more years, umma, appa,' she thought before going back to housework.

 

Hanmi took a train in the subway and walked all the way to the main office of SM Ent. She saw a line of wannabes like her already lining up at the backstage entrance. She hurried over and lined up behind a girl.

 

"Hey! When are they gonna open the doors?" she said, smiling at the girl on front of her.

 

"Any moment now. What field are you auditioning for?" she asked.

 

"I'll be trying singing," replied Hanmi. "You?"

 

"Me too! I'm Ae Sook. You?"

 

"Hanmi," said Hanmi and she shook the girl's hand.

 

Soon they were inside. Hanmi waited with agony for her turn. Soon Ae Sook had gone and returned.

 

"Oh my gosh, Ae Sook, I'm so nervous!" said Hanmi.

 

"Don't be. It didn't help me," replied Ae Sook.

 

Soon, they called Hanmi's name. She walked and stood at the center of the stage. She looked around nervously at the empty stadium, then her gaze fell at the only people in the room: the idol group managers and of course, Mr. Lee Soo Man. A gasp got caught in .

 

Lee Soo Man leaned towards his mic. "You may start, darling," he said. His voice echoed in the entire stadium.

 

"Oh, uh, yeah, ok," stuttered Hanmi. She started singing a song she compsed herself. It was about a dream she wished to reach, no matter how long it takes her.

 

The judges only nodded when she finished and dismissed her backstage.

 

Much time later, Hanmi must've chewed off all her nail off before they called all those who auditioned in the stage. They started calling the names of those who made the cut. The last name they called was Ae Sook's. Then they stopped.

 

"What? That's it? That can't be it!" said Ae Sook. She looked at her friend's face, sad, but trying to brave it all.

 

"Hanmi-yah, I'm sorry," said Ae Sook.

 

"It's ok. Chukahaeyo (A/N: congratulations), Ae Sook-ah," said Hanmi. "I've been through this before. This is no different."

 

"What will you do now?"

 

"I'll go home. My sister will be looking for me. Train hard, ok? And when you're a star already, don't forget me."

 

"I won't. Goodbye, Hanmi-yah."

 

Hanmi took her time to walk out of the building. She looked at every nook and carnny there was. At the end of the day, she still had gone into Korea's top music company.

 

Then she heard her name being called. It was noisy enough to ignore it, but it called again, much louder this time. She looked back and saw the Lee Soo Man hurrying up to her. Hanmi froze.

 

"A-Annyeonghaseyo," she said awkwardly, bowing 90 degrees.

 

"Hello, Lee Hanmi. I'm sorry about you not making it to the judges' cut. They have very high standards," said Soo Man.

 

"Only the best from SM Ent, sir," said Hanmi.

 

"I came up to you to ask: was that song you sang a personal compositon?"

 

"Oh, yes, sir. I write songs as a hobby."

 

"It's very good really. I liked very much. I bet your other songs are as good."

 

Hanmi only smiled modestly.

 

"I'd like it very much if you work as a lyricist in my company. I mean, my idols are good composers, but due to their bust schedules, they hardly have any time to compose new songs. And our resident lyricist retired just last week."

 

Hanmi was stunned. She didn't speak for a few seconds.

 

"Hanmi-ssi, are you ok? If you should decline it, it's ok."

 

"Oh, no sir! I'd love to work for your company!" blurted Hanmi, then she quickly clamped her hands on .

 

Soo Man laughed. "Alright, if you can come here tomorrow, I'd like to show you around."

 

Hanmi bowed profusely. "Thank you sir! Thank you so much, sir!"

 

She bowed one last time before getting out and going home with a happy heart.