CH 5: Replied and Ignored Messages

Dear Neighbor [ HIATUS ]

 

When I woke up, Seungcheol already had breakfast ready. We ate and I quickly made an excuse that I need to finish a project today that’s why I had to cancel whatever plans he had for today. I figured that after crying last night, maybe I should actually think about everything.

“I’m sorry, I got an email.” I said quietly, staring at my food, not looking him in the eye.

“That’s okay. See? I told you, you’re the busy one.” He chuckled.

I know that chuckle is fake anyway.

I sighed and nodded.

After breakfast, he offered to take me home and so he did. I couldn’t really say no anyway.

When I got home, I laid down on my bed and stared at the ceiling. I’ve been feeling like this for the past few days. Should I go out and buy some beer and soju and then just sleep all day? I have work tomorrow anyway.

 

And so, I got up and wore my jacket and when I was about to go out, I noticed an envelope at my doorstep. I picked it up. Why didn’t I see this earlier?

 

“Jeonghan?” I read what was written outside the envelope and quickly opened it.

 

“Dear Neighbor,

My friend actually gave me two tickets for a movie. Do you, perhaps, want to go watch with me? Not that I don’t have any friends but maybe it’s a good opportunity to get to know each other? It’s okay if you can’t come! I was thinking of this new movie coming on February 3. Although it’s a romance movie, I want to see it. Let me know if you want to come. :)

 

Ps: Just imagine me alone. So sad… Haha.

 

J. Hong.

 

 

After reading the letter, I can’t help but smile and jump quietly. Did he just ask me on a date? I mean, it’s a friendly date but still! I opened the door and looked around to see if he’s still around but he isn’t anymore. I can’t stop smiling! I was about to go inside my unit again when someone called me.

 

“Jeong-ah!” It’s Seungcheol. I hid the letter in my pocket and went out to talk to him.

“Hey, why did you come back?” I asked.

“You left this in the car.” He said and gave me my scarf.

 

 

“Oh thanks.” I smiled.

“You seemed happy leaving your unit?” He asked.

“Oh, that, uh, how did you say so?”

“You were smiling like crazy.”

“Oh because I was thinking that I want to go beer so I got excited with the idea but I was coming back inside because I forgot my wallet so…” I explained and he looked at my pocket.

 

Holy my wallet was showing.

“I mean, I thought I forgot my wallet.”

“You said ‘I want to go beer.’”

“I want to go 'buy’ beer, I mean.”

He laughed and patted my head.

“I see; you must be really busy. You go this crazy when you’re busy. I’ll go now. Or do you want me to buy you beer first?” He asked.

If he only knew that I don’t actually have a work and therefore I am not busy, I wonder if he’d still laugh like that?

“No. I’ll go buy later. Thanks though. Take care okay?” I said. He nodded before kissing my forehead and left.

I went back inside my unit and waited a few minutes before going down and walking to the convenience store. I look pathetic, avoiding my own boyfriend.

I grabbed a pack of beer, 3 bottles of soju, some snacks and sweets. It will be a long day.

When I was about to pay, the cashier, an old woman, looked at me and shook her head.

“Are you going to drink in the middle of the day?” She asked.

“It’s afternoon already though.”

“It’s 12:30 pm.”

“Afternoon.”

Why does she even care, seriously?

“Ah, must be nice to be that young.” She sighed and I paid.

I went back to my unit quickly because I just thought that I should write a reply.

 

“Dear Neighbor,” I started writing.

What should I say?

Of course I’m going to say that I will go watch a movie with him but how should I say it? What are we even going to do on our date when he doesn’t even talk? Seriously? How are we going to talk about the movie? How are we going to whisper to each other? I mean, not that I like the idea of whispering to each other while watching a movie, but how are we even going to enjoy it? Does he know sign languages? Because I don’t. Should I learn sign languages for him?

I sighed at the thought and stared at the paper.

To think that I reached the point that I want to learn something for him. I’m getting attached so easily.

I smiled at the thought but I also felt nervous. I’m getting attached so easily. That’s scary.

I don’t even know the person yet. I’ve only known him for a week but I already felt so comfortable and happy? I’m so confused that I’m smiling at the thought of getting attached to a stranger.

Yikes.

 

Stranger danger.

 

I shook my head and continued writing.

“Dear Neighbor,

Yes, I would like to go watch a movie with you. I haven’t been in the cinemas for a long time, don’t misunderstand. And as you said, maybe we could use that time to get to know each other better. I don’t care what genre it is. Do you have a car, though? Because we could use mine, if ever. Then, see you next Friday.

PS: Friday is 12 days away. That’s too long. Not that I’m excited or anything. Just saying, I might forget because I’m a busy person.

Jeong.”

 

Do I even have envelopes here? God, this guy makes me do things, I hate it.

Since I don’t have envelopes, I decided to make one out of a paper and tape. After that, I went to slide it inside his unit and went back to mine to drink.

Seriously, I’m so pathetic and unlucky. I’m drinking beer and soju at 1 pm in the afternoon. How pathetic, Yoon Jeonghan.

 

Thinking about it, why do we even communicate using letters? Doesn’t he have a phone? Doesn’t he know how to text? Doesn’t he want to get my number?
Seriously, this is why I never like a mysterious type of guy. He makes me think so hard and my brain’s function has a capacity. Maybe God made me meet this guy to make me use my brain more, ah, seriously.

 

I was thinking about Joshua when suddenly Seungcheol texted me.

“How’s work going? Now I’m bored and I have nothing to do since I asked for a day off because of you but you’re busy again. I miss you. Sorry if I sound like I’m whining.”

I stared at the screen and turned off my phone. I’ve decided.

In order to fix this problem of mine, I shouldn’t contact Seungcheol for a long time.

I’ll know if I still miss him.

I’ll know if I still love him.

I’ll know if this is just a phase of me being stupid as .

I’ll know, right?

And if I stayed okay even without his presence, then I’ll let him go.

 

Somewhere in the back of my mind I kept thinking that he deserved to know all of these stuff but if he knows, it’ll be hard for me because I know he’ll do everything to fix us. I’ve decided, I'll try not having my savior for a while.