CH 2: Sleeps and Slips

Dear Neighbor [ HIATUS ]

Okay, what the hell?!

I got up fast as soon as I woke up because I realized something.

THIS GUY CAN JUMP FROM A BALCONY TO ANOTHER. HE COULD’VE OPENED MY WINDOWS FOR ME LAST NIGHT.

I rushed to his bedroom door and banged it like crazy. “HEY. CRAZY GUY WAKE UP!” I shouted. After a few more bangs, he opened the door.

Not that I meant to think about this at a moment like this but, he just woke up and he was rubbing his half-closed eyes while shaking his head, and he looked so cute almost like a kitten cleaning up himself.

JEONGHAN GET YOURSELF TOGETHER.

“YA.” I shouted.

He went to grab a paper and a pen and went out of his room and sat on the couch.

“YA!” I shouted again. He writes.

“Yes? Why? So early!!”

“You could’ve jumped to my balcony and open my windows for me!”

“Oh. Do you want me to do that now?”

“YES! ABSOLUTELY!” I commanded.

As soon as I said that, he got up slowly and went to the balcony. I followed him and he stretched a little before jumping to my balcony. I gasped because I was shocked because he did it so fast. He tried to open the windows to my unit but it can’t be opened. Then I realized I locked it this morning. Oh, damn.

“Uh, hey…” I said. Maybe he didn’t hear me because he still keeps trying to open the windows.

“Uh, hey! Neighbor!” I shouted. He looked at me, still with half-closed eyes.

“Actually, I just remembered, I forgot I locked my windows earlier this morning.”

He opened his eyes and glared at me before sighing.

“Heh, sorry. I’ll go to the maintenance now…”

He didn’t say anything (not that I expect him to), and he jumped back to his balcony.

“I’ll go now, thanks for letting me stay the night. We’re even now! Although, if you need help, just knock, too.” I smiled and bowed and ran out of his unit.

When I got back to my unit, I saw my keys on the kitchen table and sighed. Then, I slept some more and totally ignored the work I was supposed to do.

 

 

I woke up at 3 pm and I immediately got up to get my laptop and start my report, which is due tomorrow, as a matter of fact. See, when you’re an interior designer, presentations are just “FANTASTIC” to the point you’d want to rip all of your hair out of your head. Or maybe, again, that’s just me.  My boss assigned a client to me alone since he said I’ve been “slacking off” from work. I mean, yes? Because you haven’t been trusting me with any project!

Anyway, this client wants me to present three different home designs as of tomorrow or else he’d go see someone else. I see my boss probably thought we won’t be able to do this since we have lots of work these days and so he gave all the work to me thinking that I won’t be able to finish it. He never actually wanted to accept this project he just wanted to make me suffer. See, this isn’t a problem at all if the money he’s offering isn’t big. Not that I care only about all that money but still, it’s the first time someone offered us this amount and it is money.

 

I sighed as I started to do my work.

 

By 5pm, I finished one design and I decided to take a short break, only that I fell asleep. When I woke up at 6pm, I hurriedly got up and tried to work again but my brain is just not working. I decided to go out and buy food before going back to work again. As I got out of my unit, I heard someone get out from the next unit too. As I turned around to look if it was the neighbor from yesterday, my feet suddenly decided to not move properly and I slipped.

 

I SLIPPED.

I SLIPPED AND NOW I’M LYING DOWN IN FRONT OF MY UNIT STARING AT THE CEILING.

 

The person from next door walked up to me and yes, it is the mute.

He grabs his pen and paper and starts writing.

“Are you okay?” He looked worried as he showed it to me but he suddenly looks down and… Laughs?

He’s laughing at my situation!

What the hell?

 

“Can’t you tell what just happened?! I’m okay! It doesn’t hurt a bit!” I shouted and stood up. Meanwhile, this mute is still trying to contain his laughs. I swear I’m ready to kill.

You die, I kill you. (I screamed inside of me with my Kim Bok Joo voice.)

I turned away from him and started walking to the elevator. He followed me and starts writing again.

 

“Are you sure it doesn’t hurt?” He pokes me and shows his paper pad.

 

The elevator came and we went in.

“Yes. Sorry if that’s not funny for you.” I snorted and rolled my eyes. He begins writing again.

 

“Not that, you’re bleeding.” He pokes me again.

 

“Huh?”

 

He grabs my arm and turned it to show me. Oh my God, I actually am.

“Oh my God and you’re just telling me now? I can’t believe this mute.”

 

Writes.

 

“You just walked away. I’m not mute.”

The elevator stops to the ground floor and I started walking towards the convenient store and he just kept following me.

"Yeah, yeah, not mute. Why are you following me?” I stopped walking and faced him. He just shook his head and writes again. I continued walking, leaving him where he is. Although he ran to catch up and pokes me again to show his writing.

“I’m going to the convenience store too. To buy food, and band aids.”

“Whatever. Your handwriting is ugly.”

He chuckled and just kept walking with me.

What the hell is his deal?

 

When we got to the convenience store, I picked up yogurts, chips, beer and sodas and other food that I could get since I’m working ‘til late night. I know I could get drunk and fall asleep with beer but, crap. I need beer. When I was paying already, I looked around and noticed that the mute is not around anymore. Maybe he went ahead? He didn’t even say goodbye. Not that I care anyway. And what the hell is his name I always forget to ask…

When I finished paying for my stuff, I got out of the store and saw the mute outside. I rolled my eyes and just kept walking but he grabbed my arm to make me stop.

“Ugh, what do you want, little boy?” I said in a sarcastic tone. He blinked and laughed again. He always. ALWAYS. LAUGHS. He grabbed something from his plastic bag. Tissue papers and band aids?

He grabbed my arm again and wipe my wound with the tissue paper and he put band aid on it before smiling at me and walking ahead.

“Wait, what?” I asked. What is his deal? Ugh.

To my surprise, he turned around to show me his pad paper that already has writings. He already has answers?

“You were bleeding. It was gross, I’m being a kind neighbor.”

“Who asked you to be kind, duh?”

He turns the page of his pad paper. Is he an oracle or what? Why does he have answers to my questions already? What?

“No one. But you said it didn’t hurt but it probably did.”

“You’re so weird. Ugh.” I rolled my eyes.

 

He turns his pad paper a couple of pages before he smiles and shows it to me.

“Weird is good sometimes.” He closed his pad paper and starts walking. I walked beside him and asked, “You turned a couple of pages there. What did you write? Possible answers to possible questions? Hah. You’re so weird.”

He nodded and smiled.

 

God those smiles.

Make them stop. They hurt me… In a good way. If that’s possible?

 

“Oh crap, I’m need to run. I need to finish my designs.” I waved him good bye and started to run because I realized I have work to finish.

 

When I got in front of my unit, I was looking for my keys when I suddenly SLIPPED. AGAIN.

Oh God, how many more of these slips do I need for you to be contented? Is this door or this whole unit unlucky or what?

I laid down for a few seconds before standing up and looking for my keys again. Where are my keys? Ugh, again?! Seriously?! It’s always missing!

 

I was still looking for my keys when my neighbor finally came. He was catching for his breath and he looked at me and laughed.

 

Laughing, again!

 

“Man, what is your deal seriously?”

He shook his head and gave me something.

“What?”

Oh my God! My keys!

“My keys!” I smiled and hugged him. OUT OF EXCITEMENT.

“Oh gee, sorry, I mean… Thank you for my keys.”

 

He nods and grabs his paper pad and starts writing again.

“You dropped it, while running.”

I nodded and looked away before opening my door.

“Okay, gotta go, bye.” I said and went inside my unit.

Why the heck did I hug him?

He ran just to give me my keys… What a nice guy.

I should repay him. A bento box too?

Ugh. Get it together, Jeonghan! You have some work to do.

 

 

I started my work again and finished another design at 11pm. I’m so freaking tired. Maybe a break won’t be so bad? And no, I won’t fall asleep again. I decided to just move my things to the balcony and work there since the view would be nice. I opened my window and I went out but I almost slipped again if I wasn’t able to hold on to the windows. But then as I lift my head, I saw my neighbor. With a guitar. On his balcony. Staring at me.

 

 

 

 

What. The. Hell.

 

We locked our gazes for a few seconds before I stand properly and clear my throat.

“Ahem.”

He shook his head, smiling.

Again with those freaking smiles. He grabbed something and came back.

Oh, his paper pad.

“Almost slipped, again.”

“Yeah I kinda know that?” I rolled my eyes.

He nods and writes again.

“For the third time today.”

I looked at him, shocked.

He saw earlier?!

What the heck? I cleared my throat again and ignored him.

“Ahem. Whatever. Just play beautifully. I’m trying to work.”

 

He nodded and smiled and I got back to work. Although the problem is that I don’t know what to design or how to design whatever. And I remembered I don’t know his name yet.

 

“Oi, mute. What’s your name?” I asked.

He writes it on his pad and shows it to me.

“Joshua Hong. You?”

“Ah, Yoon Jeonghan. Nice to meet you.”

I don’t know why I did it but I did, I searched for the meaning of his name.

 

 

Joshua, a generous companion.

 

And with that, I knew what I want for my next design.

 

 

 

 

a/n: Sorry I still can't upload images for today and can't edit so much but I will try to do tomorrow because of personal reasons. Thank you all for the support! I hope you enjoy this one. Also, if you don't know what I was talking about on the Kim Bok Joo part, here's a video: https://www.facebook.com/302894600090320/videos/349026718810441/ It's my favorite drama of all time, next to scarlet heart ryeo. Enjoy watching! Can we all take a moment to appreaciate designer yoon though?

 

also, another bonus Joshua with guitar: