CH 1: Lost Keys

Dear Neighbor [ HIATUS ]

For the first time ever since Seungkwan and I met, he finally has a point. The problem wasn’t that he never speaks, he actually speaks about everything but he never made sense; he does now.

“I’m not just saying this because you two never done it but, it’s time for you to move to the next level. OH, come on!” he insists.

The truth is, moving in together with Seungcheol is not the thing I’m scared of, it’s what happens next that I’m having second thoughts about. What if he’s thinking of marriage? What if he wants to have ? And, what if we break up? It will be hard to move out. The process of moving in together with someone is so hard and it will be harder to undo that.

“What if he realizes he doesn’t like living with me?” I asked.

“OH, Jeonghan hyung. Why would he even? He asked you to move in with him. Do you not want to? You’ve been together for 2 years and still no and nothing’s happening, you see each other once or twice a month and you’re not even trying. I bet he’s always the one who sets up a date. If you reject him, I bet it will be the end for you two. He always misses you so much.”

Unfortunately, he’s right. Seungcheol’s always the one trying and by agreeing to moving in with him, I bet I would make it up for all those times I rejected him. The truth is I don’t not like the idea of it and I don’t like it either. I love him but why would I move in with him when I love my apartment so much? And maybe that’s not just the reason but…

“It’s not that I don’t want to… I just don’t think I’m ready for this. It’s such a big step and you know how much I HATE taking big steps. What if it doesn’t work out?”

“Oh my god this little boy. Hyung, if you don’t want to just tell it to him and end this nonsense of a relationship. He’ll probably break up with you if you rejected this offer.”

 

I have to decide in a week whether I want to move in or not and Seungkwan is not even helping me decide. It’s hard to just decide on something this important. I rested down on my bed and stared at the ceiling. I’m not ready for this, I’m not even sure about him but what if Seungkwan is right? I don’t want him to leave me. I got up when my phone suddenly rang. It’s Seungcheol.

“Hey.” I answered.

“Hi. I miss you.” He said.

I know that, you always say that.

I didn’t answer because I don’t know what to say. I don’t miss him; I just saw him yesterday. Or maybe, I do miss him; I’m just scared of what Seungkwan said. What if he asks what I think about moving in with him? What if he leaves me when I say no? There was a long silence before he spoke again.

“So… can I go to your place right now? And drink, maybe?” he asked.

“Uh, yeah, sure, since it’s weekend tomorrow.”

“I’ll be there in 30.”

“Alright.”

“I love you.”

“Love you, see you.” Then I hang up.

 

 

He arrived 20 minutes after the call. He brought chicken, pizza, and beer. My favorites.

“Brought your favorites.” He smiled.

“Yeah? Thanks. You said 30 though, it’s just been 20 minutes.”

“I wanted to see you as fast as I can.” He pecked my lips and went to the kitchen to put the food on the table. We sat and started to eat quietly. I don’t know when it started to be like this. We weren’t this cold before. Or maybe, he was trying his best but I wasn’t.

 

 

“Did you think about it?” He asked. The question I don’t want to hear.

“Yes… No… I don’t know.” I answered honestly.

“And?”

“And. I don’t think I’m ready for that whole idea of moving in together. Yes, I don’t have anything going on with my life but I’m contented as of now and, I’m scared to take this big step.”

“I understand that.” He held my hands with his and continued, “I’m willing to wait for you, always have been.” He smiled before kissing both of my hands.

I smiled back. It’s been a while since I felt this genuinely happy. “Thank you for understanding, sorry I was cold ever since you came, I was scared.” I confessed.

“Scared?”

“Scared you would ask that. Scared that I would say what I just said. Scared that you would leave me after saying what I just said.”

With my confession, he stood up and kneeled in front of me. “You got a lot of things in your mind.” He smiled and hugged me.

“I just don’t want to lose you.”

“I know, me too. And you won’t lose me, I love you more than you love me anyway.”

 

 

 

When I woke up, I remembered that I have to meet up with Seokmin to help him with a song.

“, it’s 12 pm!” I shouted and ran to change my clothes quickly when I heard someone banging the door. Who the hell is that? Oh , it might be Seokmin! I ran to the door to open it and much to my surprise, it wasn’t Seokmin, or Seungcheol, or Seungkwan. A guy was standing in front of my door, not saying anything but looking so worried. Who the hell?

“Uh, who?” I asked and he handed me a note and put his hands together as if he was praying or begging.

A note?

A freaking note?

“Sorry, I live next door, I left my keys inside my unit. Can I use your window to get to my balcony?”

I looked at him and looked at the note again. Is he mute or what?

“UGH. Fine! Just go quickly. I’m actually in a rush.” I told him and then a smile formed on his face. I invited him inside my bedroom and he quickly went outside the window, to the balcony.

It just came to my mind… Does he not lock his windows?

“Do you not lock your windows?!” I asked.

He looked at me surprised and nodded a bit.

“Oh my God, what if you have a stalker?”

He stared at me and blinked twice before grabbing a paper and a pen. I sighed and shook my head, “No need to answer me, just go go go.” I said.

He nodded and jumped to his balcony. What is this guy? We’re in the 17th floor and he just jumped from a balcony to the other. Does he think he’s Spiderman or something?

I shrugged and went inside and locked my windows. I looked at my phone and it’s already 12:30 PM, which means I’m officially two hours late and there were 27 missed calls from Seokmin. I just realized something…

Why didn’t the guy from next door just call the maintenance or someone? And why did I just let a random stranger in? I shook my head and shrugged before running outside to get my car as fast as I can and drove fast to the café where Seokmin and I decided to meet.

 

“Seokmin-ah! Sorry, I forgot and-”

“HYUNG.” He was staring at me and he suddenly whined.

“HYUNG I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR MORE THAN TWO HOURS AND I’M HUNGRY.” He screamed.

“Okay! Okay, hyung is very sorry for being very very late. Now, come on, I’ll buy you food and let’s head out to make your song.” I patted his head.

“I’m forgiving you just this once because you’re buying anything I want, right?” he smiled and there’s nothing I can do but nod.

 

I left Seokmin’s house at 9PM. We were fooling around and I lost track of time. I was already in the apartment building’s elevator when I realized my key to my unit wasn’t with me so I ran back to my car in the parking lot to check if it was there.

 

Only, it WASN’T.

 

I called Seokmin and asked him to check if I left my key anywhere at his house and it took him 10 minutes to call me back and tell me that it was not there. Maybe I left it at the café or the restaurant? I could call maintenance or security, I guess. I went back to the apartment and tried to find security and when I found one, I explained that my keys were missing.

“Sorry sir, I don’t have any access to that, I only have keys for every fire exit and important doors. I think the maintenance people have the keys. Though, they’re already done for today and they’ll come back at 6PM tomorrow. Sorry but I can’t help you with that.”

“Ah, that’s fine, I’ll probably just go sleep at my boyfriend’s or something.” I smiled and bowed.

I COULD DO THAT IF ONLY I DON’T HAVE WORK TO FINISH BUT I DO AND IT’S IN MY LAPTOP AND MY LAPTOP IS IN MY ROOM.

Oh, Jeonghan, your life is a series of unfortunate events.

Even without a key, I decided to go upstairs because I might figure something out or I could just sleep outside my unit. When I got there, I saw something in front of the door. A lunchbox and a note.

“Dear Neighbor, thanks for earlier, next time you need help, just knock.” – J. Hong, from next door.

I opened the lunchbox to see a very beautiful bento with prawns, egg and other stuff. Impressive. But wait! Get yourself together, Jeonghan. He said, “just knock.”

I went in front of his unit and tried to knock. It was a really quiet knock but to my surprise he opened the door.

“Uh… h-hi.” I stuttered. I don’t know why but it’s in the middle of the night and this is weird. He just smiled as a reply. What’s with this guy, he’s smiling at a stranger. Although, yes, I did help him earlier today.

“So, uh. You weren’t sleeping yet?” I asked, trying to make this whole situation a little less awkward.

He smiled, AGAIN, and shook his head slowly.

“Uh, so… I… also… forgot… my, keys.” I said, very slowly.

He suddenly went inside his unit, leaving the door open. What?

When he came back, he’s holding a paper and a pen. Ah, he needs to reply, yeah. Maybe he really is mute.

“You’re really mute.” I said like I knew it for a very long time already and he just took a glance of me and continued writing.

 

“So, you want to use my windows too?” he asked. I nodded.

“No, I’m not mute.”

I gasped and questioned him, “Why are you making this hard for both of us then?! JUST SPEAK, MY GOD.”

For a minute there, I forgot that I’m the one asking a favor.

“Sorry, my bad, do whatever you like, but, yes, please, let me use your windows.” I said.

He laughed quietly and nodded before letting me inside his bedroom, to his windows.

Can I just say? I bet this person and I won’t ever be friends. The difference between our bedrooms is just way too much. Although, I have to admit, I should be ashamed of my bedroom. His is very clean.

When I’m at his balcony, I looked down and remembered we’re in the 17th floor. I WON’T BE ABLE TO JUMP.

“UGH!” I shouted.

He looked at me and blinked.

“Sorry, it’s just that, I won’t be able to jump. I can’t.” I confessed. He started writing again.

“Then, don’t?”

“Great, I should just sleep outside my unit then.” I snorted. Writing again.

“You could sleep here.”

“HA. Yeah right.” Writing again.

“It’s okay, I could sleep on the couch.”

“You know what? Damn it. I’m tired as heck. I’m sleeping here. I’m using the couch. Thanks.”

He smiled and nodded again. We went inside and he went to get some blankets and pillows to give to me.

“Thanks. And also, thanks for this lunchbox although it’s probably cold already but, can I use some spoon and fork, too? Shameless but, no choice. I’m hungry.”

He nodded again and writes again.

“Yes, use the microwave too if you’d like. Use the bathroom, too, if you need to. Feel at home.”

“Hmm, sure. Thanks. Go sleep.”

He shook his head.

“What?”

Writes.

“I’ll sleep when you sleep.”

“No. Go. Come on, man, I’m not a child and I won’t do anything wrong so…”

He laughed again before nodding and going to his bedroom.

I ate, laid down and went to sleep. I hope tomorrow comes fast.

 

 

 

 

a/n: First chapter! Second one will be posted tomorrow. I'm going to post a cover soon too and I will fix details tomorrow. Have fun reading!