Chapter 9

Stand by me

Ever since Hayoung moved out, the house felt so empty. Whenever Hoya came back home after work, he would either be greeted by the abundant amount of soju bottles on the floor or just a hollow living room, probably because Mr. Lee might be at the gambling den already. It really felt so empty when Hayoung wasn’t around in this house anymore. Nonetheless, Hoya was still grateful that Hayoung was living at a better place now so he didn’t have to worry so much whenever he was away for work. She still called him once in a while to let him know that she’s fine living with Woohyun.

When Hoya had finished his work for the day and received his pay from his employer, he decided to take a stroll around the neighbourhood as he didn’t feel like going home early. He could predict that his father was waiting for him for the money before he would head to the gambling house. Hoya was so used to the routine to the point that he could forecast the events that could happen at home. He purposely decided to come home late on that day because he wasn’t in the mood to give Mr. Lee money just like that when Hoya had worked hard for it.

The shops along the street remained open as Hoya walked past them. The roads that were once brightened with the sunlight now had streetlights to illuminate the area. The neighbourhood never felt that it could be in darkness for long. There was, however, a dark, narrow alley as he continued walking. He saw nothing special in particular and was about to go forward when he heard some commotion occurring inside the alley. His curiosity got the better of him as he chose to take a turn on the right as he walked in the alley.

As he walked closer towards the scene, he caught a glimpse of the silhouettes – two men cornering a women. He didn’t dare to make a sound as he didn’t want to attract any attention which could potentially harm the victim. At least the victim didn’t back down from a fight. She threw her red stilettos on both men, but it was considered nothing even though she succeeded in aiming accurately on them. When she had no more weapon she thought could be hazardous, she had no choice but to back away. She knew she had no escape route when the two middle-aged men cornered her to a wall.

Hoya who had been covering himself behind the abandoned boxes suddenly played a police siren from his phone in a loudspeaker mode. The perpetrators who heard the sirens immediately fled away from the location, leaving the lady stupefied due to the sudden turn of events. She then retrieved her heels back, only to see someone else’s footsteps as she knelt down on the ground.

“Aren’t you going to say thank you or something, for saving your life?” Hoya commented as she wore back her red stilettos.

“Well, thanks. But wouldn’t it be better if you just fight with those guys, or are you perhaps scared?” Even though she’s thankful for his help, she was mildly irritated that the men just ran off without actually learning a lesson.

“I helped you, and this is what I get in return? I didn’t punch those guys because why would I waste my energy on them? You know what? Maybe I shouldn’t help you at all. You’re just wasting my time.” Hoya was about to walk away when he heard her shouted from afar.

“Well, don’t help me at all the next time you see me! Jerk!” That had just spoiled his mood for the rest of the night when the women yelled in annoyance.

 

 

It was already dawn and Hayoung was already awake on her bed as she needed to get ready for work. But when she tried to get up from the mattress, a pair of arms held her back. She turned around to see his eyes were still closed, his mouth however, curved into a smile. She tried to release his grip but he only held her a little closer, causing her to blush when her face was near to his broad chest. The black t-shirt he was wearing did nothing to hide the toned muscles he had underneath.

“Woohyun, can you let me go? I need to go to work today.” Thank goodness she isn’t stuttering despite the very close contact or else she wouldn’t be able to talk properly to him for quite some time.

“Just five more minutes. Let’s just stay like this for a while.” His eyes remained close as he requested. Hayoung didn’t said anything as she silently complied with his request.

Throughout the five minutes, Hayoung had been pondering about his actions from yesterday and even now. As much as she didn’t want this to end, she knew she had to face the reality since this could all be an act after all. She admitted, she prefer this side of Woohyun who showed his endless care for her and looked at her lovingly, just the way she liked it.

Both Hayoung and Woohyun had already dressed in their work attires when Mrs. Nam had finished preparing breakfast for all of them. Hayoung inwardly blamed Woohyun a bit for letting her stay on the bed longer than she wanted when she could have used that time to help her mother-in-law setting the table for the family.

“Sorry I didn’t manage to help you earlier.” Hayoung apologised as she placed the dishes on the dining table.

“It’s okay, I don’t want to interfere your precious time with Woohyun.” Once again, Hayoung blushed. When she thought the redness on her cheeks was going to disappear, Woohyun embraced her from behind as he sniffed near her collarbones which sent a tickling sensation to her whole body. The action somewhat drove her crazy.

“Woohyun, stop it. Isn’t this too much?” Hayoung hissed softly as she wriggled her body to escape from his grip. He, however, didn’t seem to listen to her as he continued to smell her scent at her nape.

“You smell so sweet.” He simply said, but that had resulted her ears to be scarlet instead. Only when Mrs. Nam had taken a seat then Woohyun released Hayoung and took a seat as well.

“I guess I’ll be going back home since your father will be back early.” Hayoung couldn’t deny that she was a tad bit upset when she knew Mrs. Nam wasn’t going to stay there for long. This would mean that she wouldn’t be receiving those affectionate acts again from Woohyun.

“You can always come back here whenever you want, Mom. I’m sure Hayoung wouldn’t mind right?” Of course she wouldn’t mind, if it meant that Woohyun would be doing those demonstrative actions again.

Now that Mrs. Nam will be leaving the house soon, Hayoung wasn’t sure where her relationship with Woohyun was going.