Chapter 21

Stand by me

While Hoya went with the police to give a statement regarding the issue, Woohyun accompanied Hayoung in the ambulance. It would be a lie to say that Woohyun wasn’t afraid. He kept holding on to her hand, as if he made sure that Hayoung didn’t leave him alone in this world. Funny how he previously left her alone to give her space, only to have Hayoung be harmed a few moments later. He just wished he could whacked himself to death for not being able to save Hayoung on time when she was being assaulted by her father, but of course he wasn’t able to when his body went weak upon knowing his wife was hurt. This was more torturing than him hitting himself repeatedly for not preventing this to occur.

As Woohyun continued to pace back and forth outside the emergency room, he couldn’t manage to calm himself down with his heart palpitating wildly due to the anxiety. The red light which appeared on top of the door remained lit as Hayoung was undergoing a surgery. While Woohyun kept praying to the heavens to save his wife and the unborn child, Hoya came running towards him.

“How’s Hayoung?” Despite managing to utter the question, Hoya’s breath was uneven due to the rigorous activity he just did.

“She’s still in the operation theatre. What happens to Mr. Lee now?” Woohyun inquired as they still stood on their feet since they were restless about Hayoung’s condition.

“He got locked up for good, I’ll make sure for that. He didn’t deserve any more chances.” Hoya spoke with a great intensity as Woohyun could notice how his brother-in-law’s eyes flared in anger. Woohyun could only nod in understanding at that moment. He knew very well how Hoya had always hoping that his father would turn over a new leaf until now. Woohyun knew, Hoya would never forgive his father anymore after what his father had done to Hayoung and also to the unborn baby. As soon as the doctor came out of the room, Woohyun dashed towards him before he held on the doctor’s shoulders.

“How is she, Sungjong-ah?” Woohyun didn’t bother to call the younger male by his designation as he was concerned about his wife’s well-being.

“She had succeed in escaping the critical moment. Thank goodness we could save the child since there wasn’t much damage near her womb. She’ll be transferred to the ward later.” Woohyun instantly wrapped his arms around Sungjong’s neck as he was relieved to hear such good news from the young man.

“Thank you, Sungjong-ah! Thank you!” Woohyun expressed his gratitude while Sungjong just patted soothingly to his friend. Hoya who had been standing behind his friends also heaved a great sigh of relief upon knowing that his sister was going to be fine. Sungjong soon pulled away from the hug before he went to advise Woohyun.

“All we have to do for now is to wait for Hayoung to wake up when the anaesthetic drug had worn off. As a doctor and also your wife’s cousin, I would suggest that you stay by her side especially when she woke up later. Her emotions could be unstable since she might be traumatised by the abuse. I’ll get going first.” Sungjong patted on Woohyun’s shoulder twice and gave a smile on Hoya before he left the area.

 

 

When Hayoung had been transferred to the private ward Woohyun had requested, Woohyun sat on the chair which was situated beside her bed while Hoya went back to work, knowing that his sister was in good hands currently. Seeing Hayoung in a peaceful state did made him calmer as he held on to her right hand. He then went to interlock their fingers together while he gazed at his wife lovingly.

“I’m sorry.” He began to speak, even though no one is listening to him at the moment.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you when you’re in trouble. I’m sorry I let the misunderstanding to escalate to this. I’m sorry I wasn’t a good husband to you.” There was so much things Woohyun wished to apologise to her. However, he couldn’t continue as the tears that he had been holding back, welled up in his eyes, not being able to put on a front any longer. He wanted to be strong for her, but it was evident that he couldn’t when he witnessed his wife looking serene as she lied down on the hospital bed. Upon feeling a slight movement from her fingers, Woohyun immediately wiped away the tears that were b on his eyes before he watched Hayoung slowly opened her eyes as she tried to adjust to the brightness of the room. Instantly sat up on the bed as she released his grip on her hand, Woohyun was surprised to see Hayoung in such a state as she quickly looked left and right, as if trying to find something. Or even someone.

“Where is he?! Where is Mr. Lee?!” Woohyun immediately grabbed her arms as he forced her to face him.

“He’s in jail now, and Hoya had made sure that he’ll rot there as long as possible. So you don’t have to worry about him, because you’re making me worry for you.” His voice remained firm, just like his grip on her arms, although the last few words he only muttered softly. Hayoung went to embrace him so tight shortly after.

“I’m sorry I let you worry about me! I did try to call you when he came, but your phone was in the house! I’m really sorry!” She spoke as she gulped her emotion down , sensing her windpipe choke her up as tears stung at the back of her eyes. They were threatening to fall, but she wouldn’t allow herself to break down in front of Woohyun, of all people. Hayoung had troubled him more than enough.

Of course, Woohyun didn’t have to look at her face to know that she was trying to hold back her emotion. Her voice was trembling so bad while she hugged him so tight as if she was afraid to fall down in a world of despair if she let go, making him bite his lip while restraining the sobs that would echo out of his throat. Woohyun soon pulled away from the embrace as he wiped her the tears that succeed to escape from her eyes before resting his forehead on hers while his hands on her cheeks.

“We’re just going to be fine after this. We will.” That was enough to reassure the couple that everything was going to be alright. Woohyun was very sure about it.

 

A/N: The story is about to end very soon... The last chapter will be posted on Saturday, 11/3. It feels so weird suddenly :((