Chapter 19

Stand by me

Woohyun was stretching his body when he felt an empty presence beside him. He then got up upon smelling the aroma of food. Hayoung was busy cooking breakfast for them as her back was facing him. He soon crept behind her before giving her a back hug which caught her off-guard. She faced his husband while he just gave her cheeky smile.

“Why are you cooking quite a lot today? Is there a special occasion?” Woohyun questioned as he watched Hayoung stirred the soup.

“There’s something I’ll like to announce. Get ready for work and then we’ll eat together before I tell you the news.” He nodded before he walked towards the bathroom, not forgetting to give her a morning kiss in advance.

When Woohyun had gotten himself dressed, Hayoung had also finished setting up the table. They soon tucked in without much talking going on. Seeing his wife so quiet in the morning, Woohyun was concerned about her but he didn’t probe her since she was going to announce something to him after their meal. He knew she wasn’t in a bad mood since she didn’t flare up or give him a deadly stare whenever he conversed with her during their breakfast.

After they had finished their meal, Hayoung placed the dishes on the sink before she dragged Woohyun to the couch. Woohyun was aware that there was still a few minutes before he knew there was a possibility that he might be late for work. However, that wasn’t his concern at the moment as his wife was a bigger puzzle he had to solve while he wondered why Hayoung would be acting like this.

“Here.” Hayoung handed him a small white envelope. He didn’t voice out loudly when he noticed her trembling fingers as she passed the thing to him. He soon opened the envelope which revealed a photo. He was clearly confused, as seen from his knitted eyebrows while he examined the photo. He wasn’t figuring out what was the thing which he was holding, for he knew it was a sonogram. He was just wondering, why Hayoung would showed this to him and how would she even got this sonogram.

“I’m pregnant.” And that was all it took for Woohyun to be completely shocked, as he stared at his wife wide-eyed with his lips a few centimetres apart. Hayoung had to confess, she felt troubled by his reaction as he didn’t even utter a word. She knew he was astonished by the news but was he pleased? Was he upset?

“For how long?” He had completely regained his composure shortly after as he asked her calmly. Too calm to her liking.

“About more than two months, I guess. I knew it a week ago.” She didn’t dare to look at him in the eye as she answered softly.

“Then why do you tell me now? Do you know how glad I am when you tell me this? Why are you hiding it anyway?” No words could describe how relieved Hayoung was upon knowing that he was happy. She didn’t had a chance to answer his questions when he immediately embraced her in his arms.

“I love you so much.” He confessed. “You don’t know how much I love you.” She should be happy when she heard his words of affection, but she couldn’t avoid to shed some tears as she was beyond touched. He then pulled away from the hug when he heard some sniffling from her. He didn’t question as he wiped away those tears gently.

“You’re already late for work, and I’m going to be late for my doctor’s appointment.” Hayoung stated.

“It’s okay, I can just call for a leave since I’m going to accompany you for today. Let’s get changed.”

 

 

Hayoung never felt so euphoric before unlike now, forming a family with the man she loved. Woohyun had been a great help as he was thoughtful enough to send her to the hospital. He even listened intently to the doctor’s advice throughout the visit. She knew, he would be a great father to her child, their child.

When they had arrived to the apartment after their session ended, Hayoung had planned to cooked lunch for them but she stopped her movements upon noticing the mysterious manila envelope on the floor. Even Woohyun was surprised by her sudden motion as he almost bumped her from behind. She instantly opened up to look at the contents, only to be momentarily shocked by what she had seen as the pictures which were initially on her hand dropped. Woohyun went to pick it up to find out what could have frightened her, but he soon frowned upon realising what it was. Those were photos of him with Jang Dahae being dangerously close to each other in the fifth anniversary party. The photos could have fooled anyone that the people in the pictures were very intimate to one another, including Lee Hayoung. Woohyun knew it wasn’t the case since he was in the picture, however, Hayoung didn’t seem that she would accept his reasoning when she practically yelled at him.

“What’s the meaning of this?! Are you in a relationship with her?! Do you even love me in the first place?!” It didn’t help that she was currently pregnant, as she could harm her and the baby’s well-being by being extremely agitated. He was still sane enough to think that anything that he said to her wouldn't be registered in her mind when she wasn’t even acting rationally. Nevertheless, he still answered her question rather than keeping quiet because she could probably accused him that it was real based on how silent he was.

“She’s just my employee, nothing more. She tripped when that happened and I merely helped her, that’s all.” He explained. He swore, he’ll definitely killed the bastard who’s behind this for causing this misunderstanding. Regardless of whether the person was a friend or foe. Hayoung soon calmed down, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t angry at him. She instantly opened the front door before she pushed him out of the house.

“Leave for now, I need my time alone.” Woohyun understood her request, for he complied to it willingly before she shut the door. He could only sigh for now. He soon walked towards the elevator but in the end, he decided to take the stairs instead since he could use this time to walk a little. He need to use this time to compose himself as he descended down the stairs to the sidewalk below.

If Woohyun had used the elevator earlier, he would have stopped Mr. Lee by now, since his father-in-law was making his way to their apartment where Hayoung was there. Alone, and vulnerable.

 

 A/N: Oh dear... what's going to happen next???