Chapter 6

Stand by me

Hayoung had been fiddling with the hem of her blouse as she waited for Woohyun at Hoya’s workplace. It was Saturday already, which meant that she would be meeting his parents soon. The last time she felt this nervous was when she waited for her college result.

“Am I really prepared for this?” She muttered to herself. She had so many things she’s lacking of. The fact that she didn’t go to a university, being part of a broken family and also being inexperienced in these kind of meetings had her thinking whether she would be able to face his parents. The digital clock hanging on the wall in front of her displayed 18:00. Woohyun might be here anytime soon. It didn’t even help to diminish the feeling of anxiousness within her, knowing that the meeting was being held very soon. As her doubts continued to fill her mind, she suddenly felt a tap on her shoulder.

“Hey Hayoung! Let’s go!” Woohyun was ready to leave McDonalds’ once again before he realised that she was still sitting down, not moving an inch. He then went towards Hayoung who was still had her blank face on.

“What’s wrong?” Hayoung finally faced him.

“Woohyun, I don’t think I’m ready for this.” She suddenly confessed.

“Why? I thought you wanted to do this so you can escape from your father?”

“Well, it’s true. But I’m not confident in this.” Hayoung soon covered her face as she let herself be drown in her own dilemma. Woohyun who was sitting in front of her grabbed both of her wrists so that her hands would not block her face.

“Listen. You don’t have to be anxious about this. But if you’re still not confident in continuing this, maybe we shouldn’t proceed this plan.” His statement earned a frantic look from Hayoung.

“No, no, no! We should continue, this is the only way I can escape from my father!” She quickly exclaimed. Even though it wasn’t that long since Woohyun got to know her, his heart ached for her who was in distress due to her own biological father.

“Then we should get going! My parents are waiting for us, and I can assure you, my parents are not going to eat you up. They’re too nice for that.” Woohyun lightly joked as he interlaced his fingers with hers, which somewhat helped her in easing her nerves as they headed to Woohyun’s home.

 

 

When Woohyun said his parents were very nice people, he wasn’t lying at all. As soon as he opened the door after a few knocks, Hayoung was greeted by his mother who immediately hugged her when she entered the house.

“So it’s you who succeed to capture his heart! I’m glad I managed to meet you in person!” To be honest, Mrs. Nam was quite amicable to her liking. Nonetheless, Hayoung was pleasantly surprised by Mrs. Nam’s friendliness as it was quite a long time ago since she felt this comforting in a woman’s embrace.

“Mom, your son is over here.” Woohyun said as a matter-of-fact as he watched the interaction behind Hayoung.

“Of course I know. Come, I’ve prepared dinner for all of us.” Mrs. Nam excitedly ushered Hayoung to the dining table while Woohyun followed on his own as he smiled to himself, witnessing his mother being so happy on that day.

When Hayoung arrived at the table, she spotted numerous homemade dishes being laid out. Everyone on the table had already tucked in while Hayoung still stared at the food in awe. Woohyun who was eating beside Hayoung nudged her shortly after when he noticed her not having her first bite yet.

“Why aren’t you eating yet? Is it not to your liking?” Mrs. Nam asked.

“No, it’s not that. I’m just so touched by your hospitality, Ma’am.”

“Just call me Mom and Dad for Mr. Nam comfortably.” Mrs. Nam spoke while Mr. Nam smiled warmly at Hayoung. Hayoung couldn’t able to express how thankful she was to meet such a welcoming family after so long suffering in her own broken family.

When everyone had finished their meals, Hayoung had offered to help Mrs. Nam in washing the dishes. Despite repeated attempts to refuse her help, Mrs. Nam eventually relented when Hayoung was still adamant in helping in order to express her gratitude for Mrs. Nam.

“A guest shouldn’t be doing work. You should just join the guys in the living room.” Mrs. Nam commented.

“It’s okay, I just want to spend more time with you Mom.” Hayoung still find it awkward to call Mrs. Nam ‘Mom’. Nevertheless, the woman cherished the lady’s effort in trying to get close with the family.

“It’s already 9 o’clock. Didn’t your parents mind about you staying here quite late?” Hayoung who was wiping the plates dry instantly stopped her motion. She then replied her question later than expected.

“My mother died a few years ago while my father…” Hayoung hesitated to continue her sentence. However, Mrs. Nam was quick to notice her discomfort as she changed the conversation.

“So how did you meet my son?”

“Um… Well, I was reading a book at the park when his bike rammed on the tree that I was leaning on. He got injured so I helped him by tending to his wounds.” By that time, both of them had finished washing the dishes and was heading to the living room to join the guys when Mrs. Nam surprised Hayoung with her sudden exclamation.

“Oh! So you’re the one who saved him that time?! I couldn’t be more thankful enough to you! Now I don’t have to worry about him so much when you’re by his side!” Woohyun who heard the commotion soon turned around, only to see his mother hugging Hayoung as if she was her own daughter.

“Sorry to break the atmosphere, but I need to send Hayoung back home.” Woohyun had already stood up from his seat as he went towards Hayoung. Mrs. Nam, however, was very reluctant to let Hayoung go as she continued to embrace her.

“Dear, we can just meet her again next time. If you won’t let her go now, she might not be able to breathe properly.” Mr. Nam remarked before his wife released the hug. Mr. and Mrs. Nam soon followed the young couple to the door before Hayoung bowed to both of Woohyun’s parents.

“Thank you for the great hospitality. I’m very happy to meet you.” Hayoung said.

“Thanks to you too, we’re also having an enjoyable time.” Mr. Nam expressed his gratitude. Both Mr. and Mrs. Nam couldn’t deny, Hayoung was the perfect candidate for Woohyun.

Both Woohyun and Hayoung started walking, with Hayoung bidding farewell to Woohyun’s parents. Woohyun, however, unexpectedly held on to both of her shoulders as he turned her body to face him.

“Just go with the flow.” He whispered next to her ear. He then knelt down on one of his knees. Hayoung knew very well this position, for she had watched it several times in dramas.

“Hayoung-ah…” He purposely said it out loudly. “It may seemed a bit sudden for you but…” Woohyun went to reach his pocket and took the item out, revealing a red velvety box. Hayoung knew where this was going, so she let him continue.

“Will you marry me?” And there he said it. To be honest, Hayoung couldn’t deny that his impromptu proposal was very heartening for her but she knew, it was all just an act. So she just proceed.

“Yes, yes I will!” She faked her excitement as she let Woohyun slipped the ring on her ring finger. For some unknown reason, she felt upset but she put that thought at the back of her mind.

“Oh my! Our son proposed to her and she accepted it!” Hayoung could hear Mrs. Nam squealing like a teenage girl when Woohyun hugged Hayoung after rising from his position.

Now, they’re just left with a wedding before Woohyun was finally freed from his mom’s pestering while Hayoung managed to escape from her father before things got even worse.