Why Sunshine and Space Don't Always Mix

Exploding Dishes and Other Reasons Im Nayoung is Tired

Yewon is an optimist. She really doesn't see the point in being anything else. After all, isn't hope the point of superheroes? She'll admit, sometimes it's hard to be optimistic. She has her moments of doubt. Like when Minkyung wanted to take the girls to the zoo. Still, she tries to keep an open mind and a bright smile. It's better that way. 

This is precisely why she's surprised at herself for thinking the worst when Kyungwon passes right by her without a glance, grabs Eunwoo's hand, and leaves. Yewon knows logically that Kyungwon isn't a morning person and that she probably didn't notice Yewon, and that it's really not polite to grab a person not by the hand and that Kyungwon makes the effort to adhere to basic etiquette.

Yewon knows that Kyungwon grabbed Eunwoo for a completely reasonable reason. But that doesn't stop the tiny, worrying part of her brain from taking over. What if Kyungwon did notice her and is avoiding her? What if Kyungwon has decided Eunwoo is better company? What if Kyungwon decided she likes Eunwoo and she's going to confess with a bouquet of daffodils and a BoA song? At the music store a couple blocks away? And take her to the little cafe next door for croissants and Earl Grey tea?

Yewon shakes herself out of it. Why would Kyungwon take Eunwoo to Yewon and Kyungwon's spot? And have their food? And sing their song? And-she let her imagination run a little too wild there. Yewon knows that there is a totally logical reason for this. Maybe she needs Eunwoo's shapeshifting for something? Probably. Yewon nods to herself, satisfied with her explanation, and stands up from the couch, picking up her bowl and glass from where they sat (thankfully) on the coffee table. She grabs the newspaper that is hovering just above the couch next to her and refolds it, taking it and her dishes to the kitchen, where Yebin sticks her hand out for the paper. 

"Funnies?" Yebin makes a grabby motion and Yewon offers them. Yebin reaches across the room to grab the section. She whacks Minkyung in the back of the head on the way back and Minkyung winces. Yebin shoots up to comfort her. Yewon puts her plates in the sink and leaves quickly. It's better to give them some privacy. 

When Yewon gets to her room, she finds Kyla and Sungyeon still asleep. Or back asleep. She had been awake for the Skittles battle earlier. And apparently Kyla is back asleep too. Kyla's hair is sticking straight out and there's a little line of spit from . She's always been a messy sleeper. She shifts a little and her fleece blanket lights up with the sparks of static electricity it has gathered overnight. Yewon doesn't know why they haven't replaced Kyla's standard issue blanket for something a little less...sparky. Yewon smiles at Kyla, who snorts and twitches, sending up another wake of sparks from her blanket. 

Sungyeon, in contrast, is one of those pretty sleepers. She could do mattress CFs while actually sleeping. Of course, they'd have to include the disclaimer that the pretty sleeping behavior did not come with the memory foam. Sungyeon might look pretty when asleep, but she sleep talks. Yewon wonders if all sleep talking is as scary as Sungyeon's or if Sungyeon was on another level because of her imitation abilities. One time, Yewon woke up freaking out because Sungyeon was relaying an imaginary conversation with the president.

When Yewon is done getting dressed, she grabs the rubber gloves from the desk and mentally prepares herself. The last few times, Yewon had forgone the gloves because Kyla's hair was calm. That, apparently, meant nothing in terms of how much of a charge Kyla had built up overnight. She wouldn't make that mistake a third time.

"Kyla~" Yewon keeps her voice light and gently shakes Kyla. A light wakeup is best for everyone in the room. 

Kyla doesn't budge.

"Kyla?~" Yewon repeats herself a little louder. It's a process. She didn't love being Kyla's designated alarm clock at first, but it had become something that she kind of enjoyed. On Yewon's fourth "Kyla~", the younger girl shifts and rubs at her eyes, her blanket sparking like crazy. 

"Morning, Yewon." Kyla sits up, wiping the spit from and patting down her hair. "Unnie." She tacks on the honorific afterward. Kyla sometimes forgets she isn't in America and the Koreanisms and etiquette haven't quite rubbed off on her completely. It's charming, and Yewon can only hope the public thinks the same when they register as an official team.

Yewon busies herself with straightening her own bed and putting the dirty laundry in the basket as Kyla rolls out of bed, grabs some bunched up clothing from under her bed, and ambles off to try to get her hair under control. "There's a new box of cereal!" Yewon calls out after Kyla. Cereal was practically a religion in the dorm, and Kyla somehow always managed to get the half serving at the end of a box. 

"You didn't need to shout, you know." Yewon turns to see Sungyeon sitting upright in bed, combing her hair out of her face with one hand while covering a yawn with the other. Sungyeon slips out of bed and grabs the pair of sweatpants draped over her footboard, pulling them on. She glances at the laundry basket by the door. "I'll take laundry today."

Yewon smiles. Sungyeon is just as motivated as her to keep their room clean. "Thanks, Sungyeon." Sungyeon takes the laundry to the machine they have in the dorm. They're lucky. She hears the older teams had to go to the laundromat because the dorms didn't have washing machines back then. 

Yewon takes the time in the room alone as an opportunity to think about Kyungwon. She's been finding herself doing that a lot lately. Thinking about Kyungwon, not being alone. The thinking thing never waits until she's alone. It's a little inconvenient sometimes. Like when she offered Kyungwon some of her water during a training session and spent the next ten minutes thinking about the way Kyungwon smiled at her in thanks. She only stopped when Siyeon knocked her out of the way of a particularly fierce looking lightning bolt, courtesy of Kyla.

Yewon doesn't know how to deal with this. The thinking thing, not Kyla's lightning. She doesn't know who to talk to either. How does she even phrase a question to ask? She's never thought about someone so much in her whole life. But she couldn't help it. Kyungwon was so nice. And strong. And brave. And pretty. She was so pretty. And just really, really nice. Yewon realizes she's glowing now, even just thinking about thinking about her. This has gotten really out of hand. And Yewon is hungry again.

When Yewon gets back to the kitchen, Minkyung is doodling unflattering things on the pictures in the paper and Yebin is nowhere to be found. Kyla and Sungyeon are hunched over their bowls, silently eating. The dishes in the sink still need to be done, and Yewon knows that Yebin won't do them even if it's her turn. Yewon checks the clock. It's mid-afternoon. "Where is everyone?"

Minkyung responds without looking up, still blacking out people's teeth. "Saturday. Sleeping, probably. Yebin's showering. Oh, and Kyungwon and Eunwoo are out doing something."

Yewon tries to keep her tone light. It's really not her business, but she really wants to know. "Doing what?"

"Why? You jealous your 'Kyungwon oppa' isn't here with you?" Yewon spins around, cheeks reddening, to find Siyeon in the doorway, fully dressed and much more put together than she usually was, well, ever

"Speaking of oppa," Minkyung gives Siyeon a once over. "You've got the look down. A+. Especially the jacket."

Siyeon flips her hair, attempting nonchalance, but Yewon sees the pleased grin on Siyeon's face. This isn't normal Siyeon behavior. "Are you trying to look good for someone?"

Siyeon looks a little startled at Yewon's question, but she quickly turns it around. "The real question is are you trying to look good for someone? You've been taking extra long in the bathroom lately and it's sorta starting to bother me. And you really don't look that different. Glowier maybe, but that's it."

Yewon thinks about her morning and night routines. She hadn't changed anything. Her bathroom time shouldn't have increased a-oh. The daydreaming. About Kyungwon. She really needs to work on that. But that's not something she could tell Siyeon. So she gives the younger girl a half answer that even Eunwoo would be proud of. "I haven't changed my bathroom routines." There. The truth, nothing but the truth, but maybe not the full truth.

"So then I guess Kyungwon's mysterious full day plans with Eunwoo aren't the reason you're really spacey today." Yebin was back and drying her hair, the water dripping onto her shirt making it transparent and showing off the...Blue Clues bra? Where does Yebin even find these things? And apparently, she and Siyeon were going to ask her all about Kyungwon. Yebin and Siyeon, not Siyeon and a Blues Clues bra. Yewon thinks a warning might have been nice.

--

A/N

Hi guys!

I've had a lot of fun writing Yewon. She seems like such an angel. Literal sunshine. Literally.

This is part 2 of Yewon's birthday arc and I hope to have a part 3 done before her birthday. We'll see... 

I just caught up on the subbed versions of the Pristin Vlives. Siyeon's and Eunwoo's lemon drink one was a real treat. And a huge thank you to Team Light Beam!

Looks like Kyungwon's next...

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you've got questions, ask them. I've got a five-day weekend that has just started and I'll get caught up on comments tomorrow hopefully. I love getting questions about the universe. In fact, it's really helpful.

See you soon (hopefully!),

Elly

(p.s. Taeyeon...wow...I suppose she's my ult for a reason.)