Why Minkyung Isn't Allowed to Exercise Unattended

Exploding Dishes and Other Reasons Im Nayoung is Tired

Minkyung doesn't know how she got into this situation.

Well, actually she does, but she doesn't have an excuse. From prior experience, Minkyung knows it's better to just deny. Deny knowledge, involvement, and existence, if possible. Most of the time, denial has worked for her. She got out of being connected to the Superheated Radiator Incident through denial, and it was pretty obvious that she was involved, although Nayoung might have just given up now that Minkyung thinks about it…but either way, she was not blamed. Denial works.

But that doesn't help her current situation. Minkyung is super dead if Nayoung comes home right now. Deader than dead. Minkyung is the second oldest, and somehow that leaves her in charge when Nayoung has to go to meet with the higher-ups. About what, Minkyung doesn't know, but it seem like Nayoung gives reports on the girls. Minkyung just hopes that this…situation won't be on the next report. Or become a Nameable Incident.

Minkyung looks from the bookshelf that's lying on the floor, books and knick-knacks scattered around it, to the sizeable dent in the wall. Usually, this is where she'd blame Kyungwon, but Kyungwon is staying at her parents' for the weekend, so she can't. And blaming Siyeon would be a very bad idea. And if she blames Kyla, Kyla will get upset and short circuit the television again. And Eunwoo is under Jieqiong's protection for some reason, and Jieqiong already hates her for the Superheated Radiator Incident, so it's best not to cross either of them. And she'd feel too guilty blaming either Sungyeon or Yewon. But Yebin…She could blame Yebin.

Minkyung's always been good at shifting blame. Words are her thing. That, and charming people with her immaculate visuals. The trick is finding an acceptable scapegoat. And Yebin is famously clumsy. Minkyung can cite the infamous Milk Incident that left the living room carpet smelling so awful that they had to replace it.

Minkyung just needs to spin a good enough tale that Nayoung believes her and craft an apology good enough to make Yebin forgive her. The fist task is easy. Nayoung is so done with the nine of them that she'd practically believe anything just to get the mess sorted out as quickly as possible. The second task is much harder. Yebin is known for holding grudges. How did she get in this situation again? Right. Eighties workout videos. It isn't Minkyung's fault that the music was so catchy. Or that Eight Minute Buns is really invigorating. It is Minkyung's fault that she let go of the weights she was using, however, and it's also her fault that she isn't able to move the bookshelf to cover the dent in the wall without tipping it over. To use Yebin's favorite word: Oops.

Minkyung is so busy pondering her situation that she hears the jingling of keys too late. She dashes to the scene of the crime, then away from it, then freezes at the door opens. "F-"

"Minkyung?" Nayoung phrases it as a question, but with the amount of disappointment in her tone, it sounds almost like indictment. "What happened?"

Abort. Abort. A-It's too late. Minkyung has no backup plan. It's clear it isn't Yebin's fault. "Sorry, unnie. I fell during my workout..?" Minkyung trails off. She can only hope Nayoung doesn't ask questions.

"What kind of workout involves chucking weights at walls? And falling? Only Yebin can do that much damage with a fall." Jieqiong steps out from behind Nayoung, a triumphant smirk on her face. She's had it out for Minkyung since the Radiator Incident. "What happened, unnie?"

Nayoung looks sharply at Jieqiong. The girl might be foreign, but she knows how to use honorifics. "Jieqiong, try to mean it when you say unnie. She's older than you. And Minkyung," Nayoung pauses and sighs. "Do I want to know?"

Minkyung almost feels bad, but she sees a smirking Jieqiong in her periphery tells herself she cannot show weakness. "Funny story actually. I was doing that training thing you suggested because I failed the physical test last time, but I got distracted by the music and started dancing." Minkyung can't stop it. The truth is coming out like word vomit. This must be a new power Nayoung is developing. Guilt tripping. Except Nayoung's just looking at her tiredly and she can't stop. "I tripped over the ottoman and reached out to catch myself but I forgot I was holding the weights and one of them slipped out of my hands-"

"And knocked over the bookshelf?" Jieqiong looks like she's trying not to lose it. Minkyung wishes she had the power of…something more dangerous than x-ray vision.

"Excuse you, Pinky," Jieqiong hates her old superhero name, so Minkyung is sure to use it. "But you're just jealous of my incredible body rolls. And curves."

"Says the person body rolling to the" Jieqiong looks at the television. "Bees Gees. That's just weird."

"Quiet, please." Nayoung is rubbing her temples like she's nursing a headache. Actually, she probably is. Minkyung feels a little bad. "How are there only two of you and it still manages to be like this?" Nayoung walks further into the room to examine the situation. "The weight explains the dent, but not the bookshelf. What happened there?"

Minkyung winces. She should never have tried to cover up the dent. "That's from when I tried to redecorate a little so we wouldn't have to fix the wall."

Nayoung nods, thoughtful. "So it's from when you thought you could play it off like a spur of the moment redecorating so you wouldn't be caught?"

Checkmate. Nayoung wins. "Yes, unnie. Sorry."

Nayoung sighs then steels herself for the repair. "Kyungwon will have to move the shelf when she gets back. I'm not confident it can get it safely to where it need to go. I'll just right it." She floats the bookshelf back onto its feet, not even lifting her arm to guide it (read: show off). Nayoung may play the part of the cool cucumber, but she still has a flair for the dramatic. She must really be tired if she's not even doing her arm raise. Minkyung officially feels bad. "You're putting everything back though, Minkyung."

Minkyung lets out a breath. That's a fairly light punishment. "Yes, unnie."

"And you're cleaning the bathrooms for two weeks."

Crap.

--

A/N

I know it looks like I'm going in descending order of ages. I'm not. I just happened to pick Minkyung next. I'll be heartbroken when they officially announce Minkyung is spelled Mingyeong. I know it's coming.

Anyway, this was written when I was supposed to be writing my essay for RISD. Pristin is going to ruin my chances at college.

I'm thinking Siyeon next? Maybe I'll even get a little angsty…Probably not. I usually write angst (and I'll post some of my older stuff later so you can see), but this AU really calls for fluff.

(Honestly I'm surprised it hasn't devolved into dark, sad stuff yet. I'm stopping when it does. I won't do that to this collection. This deserves all the fluff.)

Again, thanks for reading, and all mistakes are my own from not rereading closely enough. I'll come back with a fresh mind and right my wrongs (read: typos).

Elly