Why Even Aliens Are Better than a Trip to the Zoo

Exploding Dishes and Other Reasons Im Nayoung is Tired

Kyla is a worrier. She worries about a lot of things. What she said to her crush two years ago, what her hair will look like in the morning, even the possibility of an alien invasion. Nayoung and Jieqiong never said what the task force was specifically created for, but Kyla wouldn't put it past the government to try to keep aliens hush hush. So maybe the all girl, hyper-publicized government-sponsored task force wasn't the way they would do that, but whatever. Aliens is still a distinct possibility.

Kyla thinks aliens would be better than her current object of worry: the fact that Minkyung had planned a trip to the zoo for the girls on a day that Nayoung and Jieqiong were gone on task force business.

Kyla doesn't know how Minkyung managed to keep it a secret, given that Yebin was the first one she told. Kyla overheard them talking about it when she was on the way to the bathroom to check her hair after a particularly bad dream. Yebin is famously bad at keeping secrets. Kyla only found that out after Yebin told her crush about "Kyla's embarrassing obsession" with him. It was terrible. She couldn't be blamed for panicking and letting out a particularly powerful electric charge when he approached her the next day. Kyla had locked herself in her (and Yewon's and Sungyeon's) room for a day until she got too hungry to stay there. When she walked into the kitchen, Siyeon was at the table. The other girl just gave her a cursory glance and continued eating her cereal, but as Kyla was leaving, she could have sworn she heard Siyeon hum a bit of Electric Shock.

So Kyla really isn't sure how Yebin managed to keep quiet about it, but Minkyung keeping her cooped up in her and Siyeon's room may have had something to do with it. She doesn't know what they were doing for the entire week and really doesn't want to find out.

The point is the group, sans Nayoung and Jieqiong, is off to the zoo and that's anything but good news for anyone involved. Kyla isn't sure whether to be more worried about the animals or the girls. Or herself. Or the rest of the zoo-goers when Eunwoo inevitably gets too excited by the animals and turns into one. It's happened before. The Mistaken Animal Incident is the reason this trip would never have happened if Nayoung had had any knowledge of it. It was bad enough trying to return the bunny that they had stolen from the zoo thinking it was Eunwoo, but then they had to go and examine every bunny in the enclosure to find Eunwoo while the head zoo keeper berated them and took the chance to criticize the existence of superhumans. She has never seen Nayoung as mad as she was that day. Kyla had wanted to ask her why she was so upset, but Sungyeon had caught her eye and shook her head. Kyla tried to put it out of her mind after that.

Kyla knows there's no way this can end well, or at least it's not probable. And the possible bad things that could come out of this...yeesh. Kyla doesn't even want to think about it. If they come back home with no new Nameable Incidents, Kyla's going to ask someone to buy her a lottery ticket.

Yebin's voice startles her out of her worrying. "Kyla, get your out of bed! We're going to leave you here if you're not ready in fifteen!"

"I'll make you some toast!" Yewon's voice follows almost immediately. Kyla can picture Yewon's glare at Yebin's rude wake-up. "Please try to be quick so it doesn't get cold!"

"Yes, Yewon unnie!" Kyla doesn't want to see Yewon pouting over cold toast, so she rolls out of bed and stands there for a few seconds, swaying as the blood rushes from her head. She reaches up to touch her hair and...wow. Yeah. It needs a lot of work. Kyla grabs the nearest shirt and pants from the floor and shuffles off to the bathroom. It takes Kyla almost all of the fifteen minutes to tame her hair enough so it looks like it obeys the laws of physics, but as she leaves the bathroom still buttoning her pants, she can feel the static start to build up again. It's a beanie day.

Kyla finds the girls gathered in the living room. The standard issue sofa and chair are really only meant to hold about four people combined, so Yebin is draped over Minkyung, who seems to be melting further into the sofa with every word Yebin whispers to her. Kyla doesn't know whether it's from being flustered or wanting to escape. Siyeon and Sungyeon have the misfortune of sharing the couch with the two. They have both gravitated towards the other side. Kyungwon, as always, seems to have won the fight for the chair. It probably helps that she can lift it high enough that only stretchy Yebin could sit on it. Eunwoo looks like the decided loser of the fight. She is leaning on Sungyeon's legs pouting, her left...flipper twitching irritably.

"Ky-Oh! You're out already! Here's your toast!" Yewon comes in from the kitchen holding a plate of toast and a glass of juice. She's beaming. Literally. She's almost bright enough to give Kyla a headache. Yewon hands Kyla the plate and glass and looks for a place to sit. Kyungwon immediately crams herself into the corner of the chair and pats the unoccupied side. Yewon smiles at her and gets a little brighter. Kyungwon gets a little redder. Eunwoo looks like the most offended person in the world. Kyla takes a seat next to Eunwoo, tilting her head back to smile at Siyeon, who is absorbed in her book.

"Alright guys," Minkyung somehow manages to peel herself off the couch. Yebin sits back, one part disappointed and two parts attentive. That, or she's just staring at Minkyung's eyes. Kyla doesn't know what's up with those two. Minkyung tries her best at authoritative. "You're probably wondering why I gathered you all here today."

"Not really." Kyungwon's tone is flat, but her cheeks are bright red. That probably has something to do with the way Yewon is fiddling with her hand. Kyungwon stifles a cough and continues. "You've been telling Yebin all week to keep the zoo trip a secret in the loudest whisper I've ever heard. Seriously. I'm not going on stealth missions with you ever." Yewon elbows her and Kyungwon yelps and rubs her side, all signs of being flustered gone for a moment until Yewon starts playing with her hand again.

"Anyway," Minkyung glares pointedly at a reddening Kyungwon. "We are here because I wanted to do something special that is forbidden in the Nayoung Rules of the Dorm."

" stuff? I didn't know she banned that." Eunwoo's comment is accompanied by a smirk and an eyebrow wiggle. "Not that I'd like to do that with you but please, continue."

Sungyeon grabs Siyeon's book from where it lay on the couch between them and whacks the back of Eunwoo's head with it. "Shut up, Eunwoo. There are kids here. Don't be gross. Keep it PG in the common areas. You know the rules."

Yebin smirks and shifts so she's half-laying on Sungyeon too. "So can I to you in the bedr-"

"Yebin, don't even think about it. I'll use my Nayoung voice." Sungyeon brandishes the book again and Yebin yelps, seeking safety by curling into Minkyung, whose grasp on the armrest tightens. Sungyeon drops the book onto the couch where it slides off and lands between Kyla and Eunwoo.

Minkyung gets a hold of herself and makes another attempt at announcing her plans. "Anyway. Nayoung won't let us go to the zoo, so as acting leader-"

Siyeon retrieves her book from where it's fallen between Eunwoo and Kyla. Kyla gets a mouthful of Siyeon's hair and splutters. It's gone in a moment with a quick sorry. "Who chose you as the acting leader? I don't remember an election." Siyeon flips through her book to find where she left off and dog-ears the page.

"I'm the oldest here. And as oldest, I have seniority."

"If we're going by seniority, shouldn't I be the acting leader? I've been here the longest."

"I-Shut up. Please? Can no one give me any appreciation?" Minkyung sounds a little desperate now. Siyeon is smirking and raising an eyebrow. She knows she's won.

"I can give you all the appreciation you'll ever need if you know what I mean." Yebin walks her fingers up Minkyung's arm and leans up, whispering something in Minkyung's ear. Minkyung gets as red as Siyeon's hand was just before the Superheated Radiator Incident. Kyla really doesn't want to know.

"For goodness sake!" Sungyeon throws her hands up. She switches to her Nayoung voice. "Yebin. Stop. Now."

Yebin's response is automatic. "Yes, unnie. Sorry." She pauses, confused. "Wait."

Siyeon is cackling. "The two of you are made for each other, you and Minkyung. You're both so senioritarily challenged." Siyeon's comment flusters both of them. Minkyung sinks into the couch even more and Yebin opens and closes a few times before sitting back, silent. Kyla is pretty sure "senioritarily" isn't a word.

"*Anyway.* As I was saying." Minkyung tries to regain some semblance of control, but Kyla isn't sure even Yewon would listen to her in the state she's in. Minkyung straightens up and continues. "The zoo. I'd like to go. So we're going."

"I'm ninety percent sure that's not how leaders work." Sungyeon is back to speaking in her normal voice. Kyla is glad. It's always a little creepy to hear Nayoung's voice when she's not there.

"I for one think the zoo is a great idea." Yewon is the only (clean) voice of mercy for Minkyung. "We need to make sure everyone returns in one piece. Remember last time? And Nayoung can never know."

--

A/N

Hey guys!

I'm sorry it's taken me this long to get this out. I started three different chapters and couldn't finish any of them. I cranked this one out in about three hours when inspiration struck.

This one ended up being Kyla! (Even I didn't expect that.) Someone asked for some angst. ಠ_ಠ Why d'y'all like pain so much?? I put a setup for some, so we'll see if it comes. I've written a good 450 words of angsty backstory. And that's just bulletpoints. Yikes. We'll see if it ever sees the light of day. I referenced the same angst unknowingly in the first chapter too. I guess I've just always subconciously wanted this character to be in pain. As Yebin would say: "Oops."

Anyway, I'm really loving this Minkyung/Yebin thing. I hope they'll get a chapter at some point. I tried to start one but ugh...I can't figure out how to finish it!

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, I love talking to people in the comments. I have so many ideas for this universe and I don't think I'll be able to put them all in the chapters, so please ask me things like "What kind of pizza do the girls get when they order for the whole group?" (The answer is two extra cheese (for Nayoung, Eunwoo, Jieqiong, and Kyla), one pepperoni (for Kyungwon, Yebin, Sungyeon, and Siyeon), and one veggie for Minkyung. She's the only one who likes it, but she can also eat the whole thing. Kyla will eat anything on a pizza crust.)

Anyway, thank you for reading!

Elly