Why It Takes Siyeon so Long to Finish a Book

Exploding Dishes and Other Reasons Im Nayoung is Tired

Siyeon has been a student at Pledis School the longest, but she isn't the one with the most experience. Not anymore. She isn't bitter. She's not. Really. Well, not anymore. She reasons that she had a chance at joining the task force too. When some shady government organization reached out to every superhero management corporation in the country (and a select few from overseas), Pledis hand picked its brightest students to send in. Siyeon was among them, but she isn't sure how meaningful that was, given Eunwoo and Yebin were sent as well. There had been a lot of them there too. Superheroes, that is. Or, well, superpowered teenage girls. The organization had been specific in only wanting female superhumans. That made it all the more creepy, in Siyeon's opinion.

She didn't make the team, but two Pledis students did. Nayoung and Jieqiong. Nayoung has, by far, the most developed powers of all of Pledis' students. She also has the leaderly instinct and organization skills that made her a good addition to the team. Siyeon understands why they had wanted Nayoung. Jieqiong, on the other hand, is still a mystery. She has good control over her powers, but not a huge amount of strength. She's amiable enough, but her teamwork needs work, in Siyeon's opinion. Siyeon figures it must be something about Jieqiong's secretive past in China. Siyeon prides herself on her ability to hack pretty much anything if given enough time, but even she couldn't remove the black REDACTED bars over the "background" section of Jieqiong's file.

Siyeon is by no means an active consumer of media, and certainly not news, but it was hard to miss the constant coverage of the task force. From the newsstands to the television Eunwoo's parents got them for the dorm to the radio in the cafe across the street, Siyeon doesn't even need to talk to Nayoung or Jieqiong to know what they've been up to. Of course, that doesn't mean she didn't anticipate their visits.

Now that they were back, things felt almost normal. Eunwoo was thrilled to have Jieqiong back, much to Jieqiong's chagrin, and Siyeon had no idea how they managed to survive without Nayoung. Which brings her back to the chaos of the dorm.

"Eunwoo! Get back here!" Sungyeon is chasing a terrified (and feathery?) Eunwoo across the living room and down the hall. A door slams and Siyeon hears the sound of an impact, most likely Sungyeon crashing into the door that Eunwoo closed. That or Sungyeon used the standard issue bedside lamp as a baseball bat. An angry Sungyeon was either clumsier than Yebin on a bad day or scarier than a, well, than an angry Kyungwon. Maybe even stronger too. She had a bet going with Kyla about whether Sungyeon might also be the Hulk.

Siyeon hears a crash from the kitchen and a string of colorful curses follows immediately. Minkyung stumbles out, covered up to her elbows in pink batter with a scorch mark where an eyebrow used to be. "Um," Minkyung looks helplessly at Siyeon, who tries to subtly shift away from her. It makes no difference, of course. Siyeon's the only one in the living room. "I may or may not need some help."

Siyeon sighs. She's the group's second youngest. She shouldn't have to deal with other people's personal crises. Siyeon stands slowly and Minkyung shuffles her feet, glancing over her shoulder into the kitchen. Siyeon doesn't miss the millisecond wince. "What did you do this time?"

"What do you mean 'this time'?" Minkyung looks offended, but only half. The missing eyebrow really throws off her expressions. "Last kitchen incident was Yewon! She's the one who broke the mixer!"

Siyeon's in the kitchen before she wants to be. It doesn't even look like their kitchen anymore. "Sorry. I should have been more clear. What did you do to break the dorm this time?" The closer Siyeon looks, the worse it gets. It might even make her list of top five scariest things I've seen in real life, and one time, Eunwoo woke up with a beetle head, pincers and all. The hand mixer is smoking and there are scorch marks up one of the walls. The wall is so caked with…something that if the window wasn't open for ventilation, Siyeon isn't sure she would have been able to point out where the window was. The substance on the counter looks like a terrifying combination of Silly Putty and half dried Play Dough. There is some sort of sludge leaking from the bottom of the oven door, collecting in a grayish green puddle on the floor. There is frosting everywhere. Even on the ceiling. Siyeon doesn't know how it got there. Minkyung might be tall, but the ceilings are abnormally high.

Minkyung is standing just behind her. She rubs her arm guiltily and opens . "Um-"

"You know what? I actually don't want to know. I really don't want to know." Siyeon starts to take a step forward but thinks better of it. Minkyung created this mess. She can clean it up. And it could be toxic. "You should probably start cleaning now. Nayoung's getting home in like five hours."

"Y-you're going to help, right?" Minkyung looks like a lost puppy.

"There's no way in hell." Siyeon almost feels guilty when she sees Minkyung's face fall further, but when she takes another look at the kitchen, the guilt disappears. Siyeon makes her escape before Minkyung can break out the pout or the whining (neither of which she's particularly good at).

Siyeon makes her escape into the living room and sees Sungyeon slumped on the couch, rubbing her head and grumbling something about Eunwoo and Cheerios. And possible tentacles? Siyeon really needs to find new friends. “I oughtta start using my powers on her.” Sungyeon’s grumbling grows more distinct. “Show her how it feels. Those damn tentacles…” Yeah. Siyeon doesn’t want to know. She tunes the other girl out after that and picks up her discarded book from where it had been discarded when Minkyung called her into the kitchen.

--

A/N 

Hey guys!

I guess I did do Siyeon next after all! 

School is starting up again, so I may be a bit slower on the updates, but they will come. 

Maybe an Eunwoo next? Or even Jieqiong?

We'll see...

Elly