-9-

The Mascot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day before the four of them will hang out together, Wendy went to Seulgi’s house like how they planned via text messages. Her parents welcomed her warmly the moment Wendy came in to the house. Their relationship has always been good with each other, with Wendy having a conversation with respect since the first time she was introduced to Seulgi’s family. Because of this, Seulgi’s parents grow fond of her as if she was their daughter.

And they are happy when Wendy gave them some souvenirs from her hometown, including for Wonwoo. Seulgi know that it was within Wendy’s personality that she likes to give something for other people, so it’s not surprising for Seulgi anymore as she already expected this will happen.

“Some small things for you guys as my gratitude until now” Wendy said as she gave a bag which contains the souvenirs she bought at her hometown.

Seulgi’s parents can’t help but feel happy and a bit touched at the gesture. But they feel bad too at the thought of the teenager spending her money for them.

“You don’t have to, dear” Seulgi’s mom said after receiving the bag while Wendy only smile in reciprocation.

“No, it’s okay.. I want to give something for my best friend’s family.”

Seulgi know Wendy meant that. The latter actually comes from a wealthy family, given the fact that she can buy a lot of things for other people but she never brag about it, which is one of the reason why Seulgi likes her. Though, Seulgi can’t help but to agree that Wendy bought more than enough souvenirs for them.

Wendy only told her that it was because she was beyond happy when she was back in Canada after years of spending her time away from her parents. Her parents actually help her bought these gifts and her dad was the one who suggest many things to give to Kang’s family.

The Canadian told them that she wished one day later her parents can visit Korea and they can meet Seulgi’s family officially, but for now Wendy’s parents can only send their gratitude to Seulgi’s parents for taking care of Wendy by giving the gifts to them.

Seulgi wishes for that to happen too. And she wants to visit the Canadian’s hometown if she got the chance later when she has already become an adult.

Maybe someday later.

“I’m so bummed” Wendy lay down on the raven haired girl’s bed, sighing in content the moment her back made contact with the soft mattress.

“You should just take a rest”

“You’re right” Wendy agreed easily. The flight from Canada to Korea took a long time, 13 hours to be exact and now that her body can relax, the feeling of jet lag came to her. A few days ago, after Seulgi came home from the supermarket, Wendy told her that she’ll be back by the 28th and knowing that she would be tired from the flight, Seulgi offered her to have a sleepover at her house. Wendy gratefully accept the offer, it’s better to spent the night with some people that she’s close too anyway rather than sleeping alone at her rented house.

“Do you need some spare clothes to change?”

“Nah, it’s okay I brought my own” Wendy sits upright before walking to her bag containing her clothes. The girl just wants to sleep the night away so she decided to clean herself quickly, not forgetting to brush her teeth.

“You look tired, you sure you can come with us tomorrow?” Seulgi asks after observing her sleepy best friend. Wendy answered the question without a pause, now in her warm pajamas and making her move to Seulgi’s bed. The mattress looked inviting, and she can’t wait to let the thick blanket wrap her body up and comforted her from the cold of the season.

“I’ll come, I miss spending my time with the three of you” Wendy said, accustoming the blanket to cover her body properly. “I’ll just sleep this off and just hope tomorrow the fatigue will go away”

This only made Seulgi smiled warmly. She miss spending her time with them too, and she hasn’t skate for a long time so she can’t wait for tomorrow to come. Seulgi thought of inviting her brother and her parents to go to the skating area too but that can wait. For tomorrow she’ll just spent it with her best friend and the two seniors.

Unlike with Joohyun, Seulgi didn’t hesitate with sleeping on the same bed with Wendy as this was not the first time they did it. Moreover she doesn’t have any romantic feelings for the Canadian so she didn’t bother to think much and just hug the girl when the two of them had already lay on her bed.

Wendy didn’t say anything, she just simply hug her back and sigh in content when she felt how comforting it was. The both of them didn’t feel awkward, at least Seulgi thinks so. The younger girl between the two had always has a warm temperature so this only comforts her more.

Seulgi hopes Wendy got as much as sleep as she had that night.

------

Turns out it did, as Wendy rose from her slumber with a clear head. She feels much better than yesterday, guess sleep does help her gain her energy back again.

Seulgi woke up to an empty bed. She didn’t think too much of it, her best friend probably had gone downstairs and spent her time with her parents so Seulgi takes her time in brushing her teeth and blink the sleepiness away. When she’s done, she went downstairs and her assumption was right when she founds Wendy sitting on the stool in front of the kitchen counter, munching on breads while her mother’s back was facing her.

Wendy notices her first, smiling when she saw Seulgi sleepily sit on the stool beside her.

“Oh you’re finally awake” Her mom said, moments before she put a bowl of milk and cereal in front of her. “Eat this before you hang out with your friends.”

Seulgi let out an ‘okay’ before silently eating the cereal. She notices that Wendy has already changed her clothes and look prepared which makes Seulgi looks up at the clock on the wall. She still got some time left, nevertheless, she quickens her eating pace. No harm done from being prepared faster.

By the time she had finished her cereals, Wendy had already gotten off from the stool and now is sitting on the sofa in the living room, idly flicking through the channels.

“You sure are fast” Seulgi said, at the same time wiping the leftovers on her lips with a tissue.

“Seulgi dear, Wendy had already been awake much faster than you.. and she came downstairs already look prepared to go, you should learn to be more prepared like her.” Her mom said from the other room. Seulgi didn’t say anything while Wendy merely giggled at that.

Her mom came to stand across Seulgi, wiping a plate on her hand dry as she continues. “She even woke up faster than me, and what I’m surprised at was that she already had her luggage and her bags all back to her house.”

Seulgi raises her brow at this while Wendy just shrugged her shoulders.

“I don’t have anything better to do so I ask Suho oppa to help me with putting my luggage back to my house, given that he’s strong so I assumed he can help me move my heavy bags easily”

“Really?” Seulgi tilts her head to the side. “He just accepted to help you with it?”

“Yeah, he came with his car and help me move the bags back to my house, which I’m grateful for” Wendy smiles but her expression softens to a confused one when Seulgi stared at her with a suspicious look.

“What?”

“I think he has something for you Wen” Seulgi gave her a lopsided smile.

“What do you mean,” Wendy laughs at this. “if you’re talking about him liking me then I think you’re mistaken.”

Seulgi shrugs her shoulders. “I don’t know.. he’s not the type to easily accepted any request. Once, I asked him a favor and he always asks something out of it while he just gladly help you this morning with that.”

Wendy didn’t say anything at this. She know that it was true, he accepted her request without hesitance but the thought of Suho liking her never really crossed her mind before Seulgi mentioned it.

“I’m gonna go change my clothes, if the others came here just open the door for them” Seulgi said before going back to her bedroom. “Anyway, if he does like you then I approve of it. He’s a good guy and I think you guys will be a cute couple” 

Wendy hopes that that wasn’t the case because she can’t reciprocate his feeling, at least not yet.

-----

“Goodbye mom” Seulgi waved her hand while the others bowed to the adult.

By the time she had changed her clothes and came downstairs, Joohyun and Yongsun were already sitting with Wendy as they waited for Seulgi to join them. And so, thinking that they got nothing to do left in the house, they decided to just go to their destination.

Walking is the option that they chose so they can just stroll down the many stores and all on the way there. The warm sunlight hitting their skin is a pleasant thing to feel too.

It took them 15 minutes to enter the section where there are many stores and lively area in the city. The entire time to the ice skating rinks are filled with them catching up with each other. Apparently, this morning Yongsun got a letter of acceptance from the university that she applied and so it was no wonder why she’s in a good mood right now. While Seulgi is happy with hearing that her senior friend is accepted by the university that she applied for, her thoughts run back to Joohyun.

“Have you received any letter from Hanyang university?” Seulgi looks sideway to the girl beside her, while Wendy and Yongsun who’s walking in front of them turns their head slightly to Joohyun.

Joohyun shook her head. “No I haven’t.. but I think I’ll received it soon, maybe in a few days after today” She smiles. “I’m quite nervous actually..”

They know that it’s her dream to enter the prestigious college and Joohyun had been wanting to enter Hanyang university since the first time Seulgi and Wendy met her. She only got one chance to enter it and they weren’t surprised if Joohyun gets nervous from the anticipation of the letter.

“It’s okay, I’m sure you’ll pass it”

Seulgi mean it, the older girl had been working her off because of the test and the possibility of her being rejected by the college was slim. Seulgi wasn’t the only one who think that way, as Yongsun and Wendy found themselves nodding to it.

Joohyun smiles gratefully at them as they continue to stroll their way to their destination. On the way there, Seulgi sees from a distance a honey bee mascot is standing in front of a store, promoting some brand that she never heard off before. Now that she thinks about it, Seulgi wonder how things are between Joohyun and Jaerim.

Her staring was broke off when Joohyun came to her view in a close distance and Seulgi jumped in surprise, flustered at the close distance that they had just a moment ago.

Joohyun simply let out an amused giggle before following where Seulgi was staring off just now. “Do you want to go over there?” She pointed to the store, unaware that Seulgi was staring at the mascot, not at the store.

Seulgi shook her head slightly and smiles. “No.. I’m just thinking”

“What are you thinking about?”

“I’ve never asked you before, but how are you and Jaerim sunbaenim?” Seulgi glances at her hesitantly.

“Is it true that he’s the mascot?”

Joohyun tilts her head to the side and Seulgi can’t help but explain herself. “Eh, Everyone’s been talking about how he’s the mascot and so yeah, I’m curious how you guys been doing..” Seulgi suddenly remembered something. “Oh yeah, you haven’t told us why you and Jaerim sunbaenim haven’t talked for days back then”

Seulgi decided not to say anything about the time when Jaerim said that the mascot wasn’t him. Yongsun knew about the fact that Jaerim said that the mascot wasn’t him but thankfully for Seulgi, she wasn’t paying attention to her and Joohyun’s conversation, too caught up with talking to Wendy.

Joohyun looks back to the front. “I’m not sure why to be honest, one day he suddenly just avoids me like a plague which I found weird back then but I don’t know why it doesn’t bother me anymore..” She shrugs nonchalantly. “I think he’s not the mascot.. not when the mascot keep on giving me attention endlessly while he acted as if we never really know each other, it just doesn’t add up.”

Seulgi involuntarily smile at this. This means that Joohyun doesn’t think that the mascot was him anymore. She doesn’t know either why Jaerim suddenly make some distance with the older girl but it’s not like Seulgi will complain about it.

“Ah.. okay"

Honestly, Seulgi feels happy about it but she hides it and instead opting to just nod her head.

“What do you think?”

“Hm?” Seulgi replied, clueless to what Joohyun was implying.

“Who do you think the mascot is?”

Seulgi widened her eyes slightly, caught off guard at the sudden question directed to her. Her mind running with what answer she should say to the older girl. At the end, she chose the safe route.

“..I have no idea actually”

At least she didn’t stutter. And she releases her breath when Joohyun merely nodded her head, taking her eyes elsewhere from Seulgi. Neither of them said anything, they only observed the somewhat crowded streets, or just generally trying to warm themselves by rubbing their hands together.

While the two of them were enjoying the comfortable silence, Wendy and Yongsun are conversing with each other excitedly. Seulgi didn’t flinch when she felt Joohyun link her arm with her, she only glances at the older girl as a smile crept over her lips.

“Oh! We’re already closed with the ice skating rink” Seulgi said the moment her eyes landed to the familiar street she and Joohyun walked a few days ago.

“Is that it?” Wendy pointed somewhere at the front with her index finger. Seulgi nods her head when she saw the ice skating rink Wendy was pointing at, her own lips curves into an excited grin.

This will be fun.

-----

Fun was an understatement. itches from the amount of laughs she had while they are skating around the icy surface. She can’t help it as Yongsun keep on making hilarious stunts to them. One time she bumped into a man because of it and got scolded at, making a commotion because of her own fault. The other three only laughed at her from a distance, not bothering to help her in any way.

While they had a wild and fun time, there’s a part where they were calm too and just simply enjoy the sensation of the blades scraping the solid surface beneath them.

Seulgi learned that Joohyun is a fast learner in this department. Even though she had difficulty with trying to stand straight on the icy surface, after a few lessons and tips from Seulgi she can already skate around without her help.

The first time Joohyun entered the ice skating rink, she clings onto Seulgi like a koala to a tree and Seulgi only laugh at it. Seulgi then teaches her how to skate correctly. It actually feels quite good, for once she can teach the older girl things when usually it’s the other way around.

“Woah this is quite fun” she said with her arms still clinging to Seulgi’s as she was dragged along by her, while the latter do the work of skating around the rink at the same time enjoying the sensation that she felt years ago.

“Yeah” Seulgi unknowingly laughs freely. Her heartbeat quickens as adrenaline pumps into her, the coldness of the wind hitting her cheeks are no longer a matter for her.

Seulgi pulled Joohyun’s arms off of her and instead, hold her by her palm making them skate alongside each other.

“Seulgi what are you doing??” Joohyun said in panic, tightening her hold on the younger girl’s hand while the latter giggled at this, enjoying the rare moments where Joohyun was acting like this.

“It’s okay, you won’t fall” Seulgi said calmly. “Now, you’re doing good with balancing yourself, keep your legs as steady as possible.” 

Seulgi purposely support Joohyun with skating around, as she wants the older girl to get comfortable first. They strolled around for a moment and when Seulgi was sure that Joohyun is already getting used to the friction of the ice, she opens again.

“Try to walk around in your skates.”

Joohyun nods her head, for some times her face changed into a satisfied look when she successfully skates, although a little clumsy and still a little bit wobbly but the moment she felt victorious, she felt one of her boots slipping.

She didn’t fall down though, Seulgi was quick enough to hold her from falling down as she already expected this kind of things will happen to any person who just started ice skate for the first time. Her hold on the older girl was firm, making sure that she won’t slipped and was in a good hand.

“It’s okay” Seulgi help her stood straight up while Joohyun let out a relieve sigh. “You’re good actually.. I think you’re better than me, the first time I ice skated I didn’t learned this as quickly as you”

Joohyun’s lips curved into a smile at the compliment.

“Thanks”

She her lips that are starting to dry from the cold. “Let’s try it again.”

-----

“Unnie I think you’re a natural in this”

Joohyun smirks. This time, unlike the modest reply she gave the first time Seulgi complimented her, she replied her with a confident answer.

“I know right”

“She definitely like that” Yongsun laughs loudly, finding it funny how Joohyun seems so proud of herself. They all know that Joohyun is the type to be competitive in many things so it wasn’t surprising for her to act like this.

“But it’s thanks to Seulgi too, she’s a good teacher unlike you” Joohyun pokes her tongue out at Yongsun and laugh when Yongsun put her hand on top of her chest, acting as if she was hurt by the statement.

Wendy laughs at them, at the same time lean herself onto the edge of the rink. Now that they’ve spent hours skating, they didn’t realize that they haven’t had the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter