-5-

The Mascot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After some days since the conversation with her brother, she’s feeling a lot better, emotionally. Sure, the dinner with the family members are still unusually quiet but at least there was some talking during it. An improvement for sure.

To be honest, her mood keeps getting better every day. Now, she spent most of the break time going to the senior’s table along with Wendy. With Suho and Lay present this time, the table got a lot more noisy, not that she was complaining but she wasn’t exactly.. happy with getting warnings from the teachers because of the ruckus that they made in the cafeteria. Sometimes Seulgi wonders how the both of them can be a part of the student council when they were being a bit a little too obnoxious most of the time with their talking and jokes. Joohyun gives the juniors a guilty look for involving them in this but it certainly wasn’t the case for the two boys as they would only brushed it off cooly.

The juniors aren’t upset about it actually, but Joohyun can’t help but feel guilty about it. Even Yongsun has to reassure her that the two best friends are fine with it.

“Unnie it’s okay, don’t sweat it” Seulgi giggles, the senior could be cute sometimes even with her scrunching her eyebrows together.

Seulgi smiles at Wendy when the latter agreed with her. “Yeah.. It’s just a normal warning from the teachers unnie, nothing serious.. relax”

The older girl manages to smile a little bit this time. “..well, okay then”

“It’s not your fault anyway” Yongsun adds while the two juniors nod their heads. The seniors and Wendy might think that the warnings bother her but in reality, she’s weirdly happy about it. It’s been a while since she had this much fun and getting warnings are nothing compared to the happiness that she feels these last few days.

Maybe she was just too into her thoughts that she didn’t realized she was staring at Joohyun’s face until a nudge from her side break her trance. She turns her head at the source and found Wendy smirking at her “Like what you see?” she whispers.

Seulgi blushes and just mutters shut up, hoping that Wendy just followed what she hoped for. The raven haired girl glanced back to Joohyun cautiously and heaved a relieve sigh when she confirmed that the older girl didn’t notice her not-so subtle staring, seemingly too absorbed with talking to Yongsun.

“You really need to control your staring unless you want to bore a hole to her” Wendy said as they walked side by side behind the two seniors.

Seulgi lets out a nervous laugh and turned her head to Wendy.

“Was it that obvious?” Seulgi whispers.

Wendy let out a lopsided smile but Seulgi doesn’t know if it was just her or what but something seems off with her smile. She just shrugged it off though.

“Seulgi ,If I had a dollar for every time I caught you staring at her, I would be rich by now”

Seulgi zipped , making sure to take note to be more conscious of her unintentional stares for the senior. What can she do? Joohyun is just too beautiful for her not to look after all.

-----

Seulgi felt her heart skips a beat.

She’s not sure if she was just imagining things so she asked it once more.

“..What?”

The girl in front of her let out a sigh jokingly. “I asked if you would like to watch a movie together with me”

Seulgi makes sure that she wasn’t having a dream by pinching her forearm discreetly.

It hurts.

Seulgi knows that Joohyun must have not think of this as a “date” thingy, but she can’t help but feel the fluttering inside her stomach.

“I figured that you have some free time these days because you like to spent time with us again like you used to so I think that having a bonding time isn’t a bad idea, and there’s this movie that I wanted to watch, so..” Joohyun shrugs before smiling hesitantly. “I mean, if you want to”

Seulgi didn’t think twice before accepting the offer.

-----

Seulgi couldn’t take her eyes from the beauty beside her.

Well, Seulgi didn’t really stare at the older girl continuously thorough the movie because well.. anyone would be uncomfortable if someone did that to them, but Seulgi won’t lie that she often glance discreetly towards her to see her reactions.

Her face that lightened up when she laughs at the jokes she heard.

Her cute frown that she wore when things got serious in the movie.

Her eyes that glistened from the tears threatening to spill out of her eyes when the main character passed away.

Her, her, her.

And her eyes that held a pool of warmness when their eyes met.

And the way she smiles ever so slowly to her.

Seulgi knows better that anyone that she was in deep. And for once, knowing this didn’t upset her.

-----

Seulgi’s parents were at the front porch just having an afternoon tea. The weather’s great, not too cold and not too warm, moreover they can enjoy the fall foliage. Fall season has always been the family’s favorite season because of this particular reason. This was nothing new from the Kang family, back when Seulgi and Wonwoo still used to have so much free time being a kid, the two children would run around and played tag while the two adults would watched them play.

They smiled at the view of their little ones running around happily and freely, the hard work that they had to endure when they had problems with their economic situation was all worth it. The young mother looked at her husband only to find him already smiling at her.

That day, they agreed to do anything for their children as long as they’ll be happy.

The memories have been replayed over and over again in the father’s head since Seulgi confessed that she likes a girl as more than a friend. His train of thoughts stopped when he heard the faint sound of a car engine becoming louder as each seconds passed.

They watched as a car come towards their way and eventually came to a halt in front of their house. A minute or so pass before a familiar girl came out of the car, sending the two adults a bright smile in which they reciprocated it with an equal wide smiles to their daughter, though they’re still not sure who’s the one driving their daughter home. From their point of view, it might seems like nothing is wrong with Seulgi but she was actually panicking inside.

Seulgi and Joohyun had just finished their movie time together and were chatting about nothing and everything inside the older’s car. The latter insisted to drive her company back to her house, thankfully Seulgi easily accepted the offer. Things were going fine until Seulgi saw two persons sitting on the familiar chairs at the front porch of her house and her eyes bulged when she realized who they were.

Fortunately for her, the inside of the car can’t be seen because of the dark windows. People can’t see the inside if they look at the window, instead they’ll just see their own reflection staring back at them. Seulgi actually forgot that Joohyun’s car windows were tinted but nevertheless she doesn’t care about it as she just continued to stared at them from inside the car, not believing her own eyes.

Her stare was broke only when Joohyun voiced out her confusement. “Is that your parents?”

“Yes..” Seulgi managed to whisper before taking her eyes away from her parents to the girl sitting at the driver’s seat. “I-I thought that they were out”

Joohyun raised her eyebrows when she detected the nervous tone coming from the junior. She glanced slightly at Seulgi before focusing on slowly stopping the car completely in front of her house.

“Shouldn’t I be the one who’s nervous to meet your parents and not you?” Joohyun giggled, somehow amused with the younger girl sudden change of behavior while the latter only send her a small smile and diverted her attention back to her ‘problem’ again.

It makes Seulgi nervous when she thought about the possibilities of her parents telling the older girl about her real feelings. Or if her parents will be treating Joohyun with caution because of her feelings for the senior.

Seulgi snaps her head when she heard the door shut from the other side of hers, followed by Joohyun who came around the car and walk towards where the younger girl was standing.

Seulgi actually told the older girl just to drop her off and she could go back to her own house, but of course Joohyun being the polite girl that she is, reject the idea without a second thought. It was the right thing to do, but this is Joohyun that they are talking about. Seulgi doesn’t want her parents to accidentally spill anything to Joohyun relating with her confession to her parents a few days ago.

Her eyes went to her parents who were already walking toward them, making the youngest more nervous as she stays frozen in her spot.

“Good afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Kang” Joohyun bows when she is already within their earshot.

“Good afternoon” he smiles at her. “are you Seulgi’s friend? I don’t recall seeing you before”

Seulgi presses her lips together as she prays that it won’t end badly.

Joohyun smiles as she nods her head, “Yes.. I invited her to go watch a movie together this afternoon, I hope that’s okay”

“Ohh of course” Joohyun looks to the younger girl’s mother. “Maybe I’m wrong, but your face seems familiar..” the latter squinted her eyes.

“Yeah, uh she’s been here before” Seulgi said, glancing at the girl beside her for a second as her mother’s mouth forms an ‘o’ shape.

“Yes, my name is-“

“Joohyun” Her mother grins playfully. “I’m just kidding dear, of course I remember you”

And know it’s the father’s turn to gaped and widen his eyes hearing the name while the said girl smiles, oblivious to the grown man’s expression. “Yes, that’s me ma’am. I’m glad that you still remember me”

“Oh, of course. The only one who’s Seulgi ever invinted to come to our house were only you and Wendy so it’s quite easy to remember you” Her mother smiles playfully at Seulgi.

“she talks about you”

Mom..

Joohyun glanced at the raven-haired girl and let out an amused smile which turns into a sly grin when she saw Seulgi returning her smile rather awkwardly. “oh really?”

Seulgi just stares at the ground below her, hoping that the earth could just swallow her and make her disappear right then and there.

“Well, I hope it’s not a bad thing”

“No, it’s not” Seulgi didn’t missed her mother glancing to the man beside her. She was relieved when she realized that her mother had just said that, meaning that she’s okay with her daughter’s confession a few days ago. She didn’t know she could handle the situation or not if both of her parents were looking at the older girl skeptically.

“How old are you Joohyun?” a deep voice cut the silence and Seulgi couldn’t be more surprised when the man sounds perfectly calm after thinking that her father must be in shock from the new information he just got.

“I’m seventeen years old sir” Joohyun says without a pause.

“Oh then you’re older than Seulgi” He rubbed his chin with his index finger and thumb as he stares at Joohyun. “Same year?”

Joohyun shakes her head slightly. “No, I’m currently in my senior year”

He didn’t say anything and Seulgi felt anxious when she looks at her father who has an unreadable expression on his face. The youngest look beside her and noticed that Joohyun was getting uncomfortable so she discreetly move closer to her to comfort her but before she could said anything her mother beat her to it.

“Stop it dear you’re scaring her”

A nudge from his wife and a smile unexpectedly appears on his face, albeit small.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter