Wendy

The Mascot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mom stop crying~”

“How can I when my precious daughter will go away to the other side of this planet” A few muffled snorts came, while the man beside her patted her back sympathetically.

Wendy rolls her eyes at the view.

“You guys are exaggerating, I promise that I will come visit you guys as much as I could”

“You better Son Seungwan, or I will personally come to your land along with karma”

Wendy gasps, seemingly very offended.

 Not that demonic dog. She swears she doesn’t know why her sister named that supposed-to-be men’s best friend karma when all he do when she meets him is to just bite and bark at her with that evil face. It’s as if his purpose in life was just to bite her leg off and Wendy doesn’t even know what did she ever done to the dog.

 She thought that Chihuahuas are supposed to be sweet.

“Oh no you wouldn’t dare to bring that…” Her eyes caught the warning glares that came from the two adults across from her. “..little prick to me”

“Bet”

“Okay okay girls, it’s time for Wendy to go” Wendy’s dad cut in short before their usual banter can be prolonged.

As much as she often got piss off by her older sister, she still loves her for being there for her in her life and she will definitely miss them.

“Bye mom, bye dad” She said after hugging her family members before she go, not forgetting to let out her smile.

“Bye big sister”

And they all shared their smiles before Wendy’s off to Korea.

*

“Hello”

Wendy snaps her head to the source of the voice. She was immediately met with a pair of round eyes looking directly at her. She was so surprised that she literally jumped in her seat.

The stranger was surprised too at Wendy’s sudden outburst, he jolts backward while waving his hands frantically.

“Woah, easy there not going to harm you or anything”

Wendy unconsciously put her hand over her chest to calm herself down. Honestly, she didn’t sign up to get surprised this early in the morning.

The stranger is adorning a sports top and bottom, holding a phone which has earphones plugged into it. He immediately pulled off his earphones when they made an eye contact again.

He was clearly having a morning jog, judging from his outfits and the sweats on his forehead.

“Sorry I was just surprised that you-“ Wendy halts, sighing. “Is there something that I can help you with?”

The boy let out a friendly smile at this. “Oh, no, not really. I was just wondering if you needed any help”

Wendy raises her eyebrow at this. What is this boy saying? They don’t even know each other, if anything he’s the one who came to her and not the other way around.

“Why would you think that?” Wendy asks instead despite her confusion, she knows she has to be polite. Here, manners are very important. At least that’s what her parents always said.

“I saw you reading this book” he points to the book on Wendy’s lap. “But you’re holding it upside down”

Wendy quickly checks to see if it’s true and unsurprisingly she really do hold it upside down. Wendy blushes in embarrassment while the boy simply laughs.

“Thank you for pointing it out”

“Yeah no problem” The smile’s still plastered on his face. This time, he decided to sit beside her on the bench to be in a more comfortable talking position.

Huh.

“Are you new here?”

“Yes, I just moved to Korea a week ago.” Wendy lets out a small smile. “Was it obvious?”

“Ehh.. you still got this..” He thinks of the right word. “..english accent going on blending on your Korean”

“Oh, well, not surprise” Wendy let out a chuckle.

“It’s okay. You’ll get better in time”

A hand is offered to Wendy.

“I’m Suho, by the way.”

Wendy took the offered hand, shaking it with a smile of her own.

“Wendy.”

*

She’s nervous.

It’s officially her first day of school here and even though being a social butterfly that she is back in Canada, she hasn’t interact much with the locals here since she moved.

She’s an optimistic kind of girl though. Maybe it’s not just her that is feeling nervous, it’s everyone’s first day of school anyway.

And it went great. She made friends with people here and there, acquaintances that greet her whenever she met them in the hallway or in between classes.

Everything was okay, nothing to worry about.

Except when she was paired with the quiet girl in the class.

“Son Seungwan, you’ll be pairing up with Kang Seulgi”

Wendy knows her. Well, know of her. After several weeks since school started, Wendy already know all of her classmates, including Kang Seulgi. She’s okay pairing up with anyone honestly, so she turns her head to the back of the class and was met with Seulgi’s own pair of eyes.

Wendy, wanting to start the process of befriending her partner regarding the class work, sent a smile at her.

But Seulgi didn’t reply to it. She merely look at her for a very short moment before averting her eyes again to the book on her table.

And Wendy was kind of not expecting it, she can only turn her head back to the front again when the teacher’s voice call out to the class.

But Wendy decided not to think too much about it.

Maybe she just didn’t see her smiling.

 

“Hello Seulgi”

Wendy said, sending a friendly smile once again as she drags a chair to the passive girl’s table. Ms Kim just told them that they’ll be doing the project starting now, so that the partners can know each other more first.

Seulgi glances at her in the eyes after Wendy greeted her, bowing her head slightly as if to acknowledge the canadian’s existence.

“Hello”

It was very small, but Wendy can still hear it. At least she got a reply now, that’s a process.

“So..” Wendy sat down across from her, giving her full attention to the attempted conversation. “I guess we’re partners now”

Seulgi only nod her head. While Wendy expected the girl to continue the conversation, a word never come out of Seulgi’s mouth anymore so when she senses that the awkward silence is coming, she quickly starts talking again.

“Shall we get started then?” Wendy clears while grabbing her pen from her pencil box.

”Apparently, our assignment today is to know more about our partner, so maybe we can take turn talking about ourselves yeah?” Wendy scans the paper. Knowing that she has to take the initiative, she explains everything that the paper asks her to.

“Okay, so my name is Son Seungwan, you can call me Wendy. You’re Kang Seulgi, we already know that. I was born in 21 February 1994, how about you Seulgi?”

Wendy looks up to see Seulgi’s eyes on her, but the latter immediately look downward again, avoiding eye contact.

“Mine’s 10 February 1994…”

“Wow, really?? We were born in the same month, that’s cool!” Wendy’s eyes widens at the thing she just learned, letting out an overly excited expression as a chuckle came out of .  

Little did she know that Seulgi has been staring at the way her eyebrows goes upwards and downwards dramatically and finds it quite amusing, and a tad bit funny.

“How about your hobby? I love to bake. I’ve been learning it since I was little, my mom taught me how. I found the process of making it really help me to relax. I always love it when people ate the food that I made and they would just smile after I give it to them you know? Okay, I could talk for hours about baking but enough of me, how about you Seulgi?”

Wendy grow conscious when she realized that she was blabbering, but it’s kinda worth it when she see a A small shy smile forms on Seulgi’s lips. Now that she looks at her more closely, the girl is really pretty.

Unknowingly, a smile grew on Wendy’s lips also at the sight.

Maybe she could befriend this Kang Seulgi girl.

*

“Wendy!”

The girl turns her head to her right, only to see the same boy that she met at the park yet again, jogging up to her. He’s wearing a sports jersey again, with one earphone out of his ear as his right hand hold onto his phone.

This time there was something different though. He came with an extra one.

“Fancy meeting you here again”

This time Wendy was already smiling at the boy, but her smile grew wider when she looks downward.

“I didn’t know you have a dog”

Suho shrugs, now pulling out both of his earphones out of his ears. The dog was sniffing Wendy, and it wasn’t long before the tail wags and then came the . Wendy cooed at the sight, immediately squatting down to pat the dog.

“Yeah well, I just adopted her a few days ago. My sister really wants a dog so we decided to have one. I haven’t got her when we met that time hence I only brought myself.”

“Oh my God, she’s so cuteee” Wendy continues to pat the puppy on it’s head affectionately. This dog right here is definitely different from Karma. The same size, but very different personality.

Wendy decided to like it.

“What’s her name?”

Suho lets out his widest smile.

“Byul.”

*

Turns out, Kang Seulgi is actually a sweetheart.

Wendy concludes that when she know more about her after that class work assignment. The girl actually starts to even initiate conversation to Wendy, much to the latter’s pleasure. She’s just socially awkward, and so it needs a little more time to be close to the monolid girl.

And Wendy never regrets befriending the raven haired girl.

Giving smiles turns to greetings, greetings turns to small talks, small talks turns to eating together, eating together turns to hanging out, hanging out turns to getting to know more about each other.

Friends turns to best friends.

*

Wendy felt helpless.

It hurts her to see her best friend crying. Honestly, it hurts when she see the people that she love hurting, including Seulgi right now.

Truth to be told, Wendy never saw her best friend in that light. The thought that Seulgi actually swings that way never really crossed her mind. After all, all she could talk about in the span time of them being close was TVXQ anyway.

But it doesn’t really matter, what matters now is to give the taller girl her emotional supports in times like this.

And it hurts her more than she expected when Seulgi think so lowly of herself. She isn’t a disappointment, she is a blessing in disguise.

But she can’t really react to her last sentence, about her not having a chance with the senior. If Wendy’s being honest here, anyone would actually love her. There’s almost nothing bad about Seulgi.

But who was she kidding? She’s doesn’t want to make the already sad girl clinging onto hope that wasn’t guaranteed.

At that time, she really hates herself as she can’t find anything to say to make the girl feel better.

“Maybe it was just a crush, Seulgi” Wendy said, hoping that the idea can somehow make the crying girl feel better, although she doubted that.

Her chest aches continuously at the sight, but what can see say?

 Love is love anyway,

And who is she to judge when she felt the same way towards her raven haired best friend.

*

“Hey”

“Oh” Wendy turns to her left.

“Hi Suho oppa”

The said boy gives her his usual warm smile with Wendy reciprocating it.

“Long time no talk” He matches his walking pace with the girl beside her.

Apparently, Wendy found out that Suho studies in the very same school as her too after a few days since she met Seulgi, with the boy older than her by a year. Oh how, she can’t help but think that the world is so small.

But it’s never a bad thing to have a familiar face here when she’s still the new girl from Canada.

Suho’s eyes scans Wendy’s face, unknowing to the girl as she only brought her hand to massage the area between her eyebrows, feeling a growing headache coming.

Has she been losing sleep? He notices the slightly darkened area under her eyes but decided not to point it out.

“Yeah” Wendy sighs. “Been too caught up with school and stuffs”

Suho hums, contemplating something before he asks.

“You want to meet up at the park later?”

Wendy gives him an apologetic look. “I don’t know.. I’m not really feeling like it oppa”

“Aww, come on.. I’ll bring byul with me”

He sends her his best puppy eyes look which made Wendy laughed at what her eyes are seeing, but before she can say anything to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter