5. MY BABY

Major Park - Teacher Byun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Come again, Baekhyun?” My aunt could not believe her ears!

“Aunt Da Hae, I’m pregnant!”

“Did your parents know about this?”

“No. If they find out, I’m sure they’d be disappointed! That’s why I decided to come here so they don’t have to see my stomach!”

She reached for my hands and held them.

“I’m happy to hear this and I hope that you’re going to keep the baby! Do you want to keep the baby?”

“I do! It’s my baby! But, please don’t tell my parents about this.”

“I promise but you must know that if something wrong happens I’ll have to let them know. Okay? And you must see the doctor to make sure that both of you are healthy! I’ll accompany you and don’t you worry about the money, Darling!”

“You don’t have to, Aunty! I can find a part time job!”

“Let’s be honest, Baekhyun! You’re a foreigner here and don’t speak the language plus you’re pregnant! I don’t think it’s a wise thing to do!”

“But, I’ll return the money someday, Aunty!”

“Please don’t worry about that, okay? Now, let’s eat! You have to feed two people!”

 

We went to the doctor after lunch. My aunt was more excited than me to see the small thing on the screen. It was my baby! She asked so many questions from morning sickness up to the baby’s gender! The doctor who was a middle age man, dr.Wang Kai, smiled at us.

“Not all pregnancy will experience morning sickness and for some people it might last only a few weeks but for others it lasts for months! Don’t worry, it’s totally normal! As for the gender, it’s still too early. We’ll see when you are in the second trimester, okay? But, because you’re a male carrier, you have to be more careful than women. Make sure you have enough rest and exercise. You don’t need to go to the gym. Just walking or swimming would be perfect!”

“Thank you, Doctor! We’ll see you next month!”

 

“Should we go shopping for the baby, Baekhyun?”

I glared at my beloved aunt. “I’m three-weeks pregnant no, Aunt Da Hae! We’d better wait at least until we know if it’s a girl or boy. And I’m tired right now!”

“Alright! Go home now then!”

 

“What do you think if I take a Mandarin class?”

“Why all of a sudden?”

“I’m a bit bored for not forcing my brain to think. And people say it’s best to learn a foreign language in a country where they speak it! I’m here so I’d better learn Mandarin!”

“Okay! Do you want me to teach you?”

“I was actually thinking to take a class at the language school near here. It’s only ten minutes walking from here. It’s a good exercise for me. And at home, we could practice together.”

“Sounds good! When do you want to start?”

“Tomorrow!” I yelled full of excitement!

 

Even if I found some similarities between Korean and Mandarin, I still found Mandarin was very difficult. Thank God I was not the only beginner student in the class. There were two Americans and one other guy from Thailand. The Americans student, Gary and Heather, had a business together in the US and because they often had to travel to Hong Kong for work, they took four weeks off to study Mandarin. The Thailand guy, who introduced himself as Pim, had been living and working in Hong Kong for six months but could not understand anything when his Chinese friends talked so he wanted to learn the language.

“What about you?” Pim asked my reason to take the class.

“I was bored of not using my brain so I thought that learning this language is a good choice! Besides, I won’t work or study for maybe like one year!”

“Why? Are you on holiday like us?” Gary asked.

“No, it’s because I’m pregnant!”

“Wow! Congratulations!”

My three class mates gathered around me and we talked about my pregnancy and why Mandarin has to be difficult and even good places to hang out!

 

That night I lay down in my bed. Once again I was wide awake but I let my eyes met the darkness. I went to language class that morning then to the doctor with my aunt. I was already six months pregnant and it was slowly getting more difficult for me to breathe because my baby’s size was growing and it gave pressure to my lungs. He said that I did not have to feel afraid because everything was normal.

dr.Wang Kai pointed a spot on the screen. He said that I was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter