Beside Him

Vacation With Ms. Happy Go Lucky

Wonwoo groaned as he rested his head on the counter after a long, first day in work. Just like he expected, it was hard for him to understand what the customer’s wanted. It probably would’ve been more harder if he hadn’t expected because it probably would’ve made him more overwhelmed than he felt.

He looked around and noticed that there were only a few of his co-workers around, cleaning the restaurant. He didn’t see Hana or Jaesun anywhere, not even the blonde girl. This my chance to escape, he thought in his head and let out an unnoticeable smirk.

The boy quietly walked into the back room, changing into the clothes he was wearing earlier in the day. He poked out his head, scrutinizing the whole room. Okay, Wonwoo. Just quietly walk out of the restaurant and buy a flight back to Seoul. It’s easy.

Well, that was what he thought.

He started to quietly walk towards the side door that was facing the beach, taking glances behind him to make sure that no one notices him. Oh, how wrong he was about that.

“Um.. what are you doing?” Jaesun asked, appearing out of nowhere.

Wonwoo froze on his spot and stared at Jaesun.

“There’s still a lot of cleaning up to do and our manager wants to- hey! Where are you going?” Jaesun yelled out as he watched Wonwoo run out the door.

He kept on running, turning his head to see if Jaesun was chasing him. He turned the corner, leaning on that wall, panting. Real subtle, Wonwoo. Real subtle.

---

“Hey, guys!” Hyejin said as she entered the restaurant and bowed her head when the people who didn’t understand her, stared at her. “Sorry.”

“He just bolted out of the restaurant,” Jaesun told Hana who was behind the counter, her eyes wide from what had just happened.

Hyejin stared at them and walked towards them, wondering what they were surprised about. “What’s up with you guys?” She asked. “It looks like you two have just seen a ghost.”

Hana and Jaesun turned their heads towards Hyejin who tilted her head out of confusion.

“Wonwoo, ran away.”

---

Jeez, how stupid can that boy be? Hyejin thought in her head as she ran around the hotel, trying to find a black haired boy with a dark aura surrounding him.

She checked everywhere. The karaoke room, the library and the dining hall. He still was unable to be found.

Hyejin ran towards the corridor of rooms on one side and the beach at the other. She ran into a door, taking hold of the handle. “Yah, Jeon Wonwoo! Are you in there?” She called out, hitting the door not caring if anyone could hear her.

Where could that boy be? If I were Wonwoo where would I be… then suddenly, an idea appeared on Hyejin’s mind. If I were Wonwoo, I would be trying to escape so..

Hyejin immediately bolted out of the corridor, rushing towards the entrance. Once she had reached the entrance, she ran towards the bus stop to see a boy with black hair, leaning onto the pole. As soon as she realized it was Wonwoo, she let out a small smile before running towards him.

Once she grabbed a hold of his hand, she immediately tried to drag him back into the hotel.

Wonwoo immediately widen his eyes and stared at Hyejin in shock. “Let go of me!” He said. “I want to leave!”

Hyejin stopped dragging him and immediately pushed herself towards him, tip-toeing to have a closer look at his face. “You do know that you’re unable to leave, right?”

Wonwoo leaned back, trying to create a distance on the gap. “I have my credit card, I can just pay for a flight out of here,” he said, taking out his credit card to show her.

“You do know that your dad can just deactivate it, right?” She said and smirked when the expression on Wonwoo’s face changed. “And you don’t have money to pay for a ticket back home.”

Wonwoo grimaced. Damn it, am I that dumb that I couldn’t think of that. He sneered and still tried to run towards bus stop.

Man, he’s stubborn, Hyejin thought as she tried to stop Wonwoo from running back. Surprisingly, she was stronger than him so she managed to pull him back anyway. Wonwoo was caught off-guard so he was pulled too much resulting in the distance between them to decrease, their faces at least one inch close to each other.

Wow, I never realized he was this tall, Hyejin thought. Hyejin’s height reached to about his mouth.

Wonwoo looked at Hyejin as her face was too close for his comfort. Ugh, get this girl off of me, he thought.

Hyejin came back to reality and cleared , her cheeks turning red. She then continued to drag him inside the hotel until they reached Wonwoo’s hotel room.

They stopped at his door. Hyejin stared at Wonwoo waiting for him to open his door, still not letting go of his hand. The boy rolled his eyes and swiped his keycard, unlocking the door.

The two entered the room, Hyejin finally releasing Wonwoo’s hand from her grip. Wonwoo then started to rub his hand because Hyejin’s grip was a bit too tight.

Hyejin locked the door and let out a quiet yawn before turning her body towards Wonwoo who was glaring at her. Hyejin then gave him a smile.

“Go wash up and get ready for bed,” she said, “I’m not leaving until I for sure know you’re not going to run away.”

Wonwoo sneered once again, which Hyejin got used to, and went into his luggage, grabbing a change of clothes before entering the bathroom, slamming the door shut.

Once the door closed, Hyejin legs grew wobbly, causing her to sit down the floor. She sighed as she leaned back her head on the door. Why’s my heart beating so fast for him? She thought and took a deep breath, exhaling it.

She stood up and walked towards the bed, looking around the room. “I’m surprised he doesn’t get an exclusive suite,” she mumbled to herself and laid on her side on the bed.

After a while, Wonwoo finally got out of the washroom in his t-shirt and sweatpants. He looked at the door and realized that Hyejin wasn’t there anymore. He then moved his eyes towards his bed and scoffed. This girl really has no shame, does she?

He walked towards the bed. “Yah, get off my bed,” he said and crawled onto his bed, taking a peek at Hyejin’s face. “Wow, she really fell asleep,” he muttered and sneered before getting off the bed.

“Tsk, why am I letting her sleep on the bed,” he muttered as he took out an extra blanket from the closet.

He walked towards the bed, grabbing a pillow. He set the pillow on the floor and laid down, covering himself with the blanket.

He stood up, realizing that the light was still on. He walked towards the light switch and took a glance at Hyejin who was sleeping soundly. He scoffed and turned off the lights, walking back to his spot, lying back down.

“She’s gonna be paying for my massage in the morning,” he muttered to himself.

---

Why do I feel so restricted? Hyejin thought to herself as she started to open her eyes. She had a hard time adjusting to the light and looked around the room. Did I leave the curtains opened? Ugh, it’s so bright.

She then tried to get up but could barely even move. She looked down to see an arm wrapped around her. Hyejin widened her eyes and slowly turned her head to the left and froze when she saw Wonwoo’s sleeping face. Her face immediately turned red from either embarrassment or maybe because the guy she likes was wrapping his arms around her.

How did this happen? She thought and started to panic slightly. “What do I do? He’s gonna kill me,” she muttered and decided to stay still, her body facing his. She tried to calm her racing heart but couldn’t.

She looked up to his face. He’s feature softens up when he sleeps, she thought. Damn, he’s pretty hot- I mean cute.. Nope, you could say hot.

Suddenly, Wonwoo started to move. The arm that wrapped around Hyejin’s waist got tighter, making her squeal quietly. Wonwoo scrunched his face and slightly opened his eyes to see Hyejin with a nervous expression.

It took a couple of seconds for him to realize what he was seeing.

Three. Wonwoo’s eyes started to adjust to the light, as he stared at Hyejin’s face.

Two. He recognized Hyejin and blinked multiple times.

One. He looked around the room and noticed that his arm was around her waist.

Zero. He finally came back to reality and fell off his bed from shock.

This guy is pretty slow, she thought and sat up, smiling awkwardly when Wonwoo was staring at her like she was a monster.

“What did we do last night?” He asked looking down to make sure he still had his clothes on.

Hyejin shrugged and rubbed the back of her neck. “I don’t know. I just woke up with you cuddling up to me,” she said.

FLASHBACK

While he was sleeping, Wonwoo’s teeth began to clatter. He opened his eyes and sat up out of annoyance from getting cold. Although, he was still half-asleep.

Wonwoo started to stand up, putting the pillow from the ground on the bed as he laid down, grabbing the blanket from the floor. He smiled, yes, smiled. Ah, warm.

Suddenly, he felt something on his legs. He ignored it and decided to just kick it off as he tried to sleep.

This time, he felt something on his face. He bit his bottom lip and used his left hand to throw it off his face. And then suddenly, something was trying to kick him off. He started to get annoyed and opened his eyes, glaring at the girl in front of him. My ing- she’s such a messy sleeper, he thought and pushed her leg to the other side of the bed.

He then closed his eyes, smiling again. Peace and quiet.

Wonwoo felt that something was going to happen again and before that could happen, he reached out his arm and grabbed a hold of Hyejin’s waist, pulling her close to his body. This better stop her from moving.

END OF FLASHBACK

Wonwoo remembered what happened, making him rake his fingers through his hair. Ah, how could I do such a thing to such an annoying girl like her? He thought, not realizing his cheeks were turning pink from the embarrassment.

Hyejin pursed her lips together and stood up from the bed. “You should get ready for work or you’ll be late,” she said and cleared , looking at him and widened her eyes. “Are you blushing?”

Wonwoo glared at her, not believing her. “Why would I blush for you?” He asked as he entered the bathroom but before he closed the door he said, “get out my room.”

Hyejin flinched when he slammed the door shut. “Fine, jeez,” she muttered and walked towards the door, leaving and closing it. She leaned on the door, her whole face becoming a tomato.

“No matter how much of a brat he is, he still seems to make my heart race,” she said and placed her hand on her heart as it skipped beats and increased. “Maybe I do like him…”

---

“Hyejin-ah, are you okay? I’ve never seen you so quiet before,” Soonyoung asked.

Hyejin and Soonyoung were hanging out inside the restaurant where Wonwoo was working. They were waiting for the rest of the boys to come.

Hyejin couldn’t stop thinking about what happened that morning. She woke up, face to face with Wonwoo, the boy she just realized she had a crush on. She especially could not stop thinking about what he looked like while he was sleeping. He didn’t look like an angry turtle. His sharp features softened and his bed hair was too cute to resist. Only thing she was wishing was that Wonwoo would open up to her even though it would be too good to be true. It was like the guy had something against girls. Did he though?

Hyejin sighed realizing that she knew nothing about the Cold City Boy except for the fact that he’s rich and his dad made her go to this ‘vacation’ with them. Still, those facts almost had nothing to do with Wonwoo. She wanted to know the guy behind the poker face.

“Hyejin-ah!” Soonyoung whined, getting Hyejin out of her train of thoughts.

“Huh, what?” She said in quiet voice.

“You’ve been staring blankly into space. Are you okay? Are you sick?” He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

Hyejin blinked until his words processed into her head. “Oh!” She said, her perkiness quickly coming back. “I’m fine! I’ve just been thinking about things.”

Soonyoung eyed her, not believing what she had just said.

“Oh! I just realized that I never called my uncle ever since we got here,” she said and stood up from her chair. “I’m gonna call him now, I’ll be back.”

Soonyoung watched as Hyejin rushed out of the door, bumping into Seungcheol who stared at her weirdly. He walked towards Soonyoung, the words he wanted to say not coming out as he pointed towards the door.

“I guess she’s calling her uncle?” Soonyoung said in a questioning tone.

 

“Hello, Samchon?” Hyejin said as she took glances at the door.

“Hyejin, why are you calling us so late?”

Hyejin winced realizing that she forgot that they were in different timezones. It might’ve been the middle of the day for her but it was the middle of the night in Seoul.

“Sorry, Samchon.. I just wanted to know how umma is doing.”

Her uncle stayed quiet, but his breathing was audible.

“She’s fine.”

“Is she really?-”

“Hyejin, really, it’s the middle of the night. Let’s talk in a couple of hours,” he said and hung up the phone.

Hyejin stared at her phone and bit her bottom lip. She faced the door, taking deep breaths before entering the restaurant again.

“Noona, are you okay?” Minghao asked as he stared at her with his doe eyes.

Hyejin gave him a smile and patted his head. “Of course I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be?” She asked in a perky tune.

Minghao blinked multiple times before giving her an innocent smile. “If you say so. But if you need someone to talk to, I have an ear for you,” he said making Hyejin chuckle.

“Okay! Let’s discuss the plans for today!” Jeonghan said and glanced at Wonwoo who was glaring at him. “The second day to annoy and make Wonwoo jealous by leaving him here to work.”


Okay, so far, my laptop is not dying on me. The next chapter will be shorter than usual since it's just going to be a filler before happens :o