Have Fun Working

Vacation With Ms. Happy Go Lucky

The next morning came by quickly. The night before, the group instantly thought of going around the resort hanging out in a karaoke room the boys singing their hearts out while Hyejin and Wonwoo watched the crazy bunch. When the karaoke employees tried to get them out of the room since it was over their time, they immediately stopped when they found out that Wonwoo’s the son of Jeon Changsun - who was apparently the founder of the hotel they’re in. Because of that, the group stayed in the karaoke room for over three hours, for free. Who would let up the chance of singing in a really nice karaoke room?

Knock, knock, knock.

Wonwoo immediately raised his head from his pillow, looking around the room. What was that? He asked himself in his head, checking out the clock on the nightstand that was next to his bed. It’s only six thirty. Then there it was again - someone was definitely knocking on his door. This time the knock got louder which annoyed Wonwoo even more.

He sat up, getting off his bed and stomping angrily towards the door. Why is this more annoying than that girl? He thought and swung open the door and glared at the person in front of him. No wonder.

“What do you want?” Wonwoo asked in a drowsy voice.

“Ha, I was told to wake you up since you have to start working right away,” Hyejin said, gulping. This guy should sleep more, his voice is kind of hot- Jung Hyejin, shut your mouth… mind… head… brain!

Wonwoo groaned quietly and shut the door on her face. Hyejin pursed her lips and took a deep breath. “Calm down, Hyejin,” she mumbled to herself, placing a hand on the left side of her chest, feeling her quickening heartbeat.

Suddenly, the door opened revealing Wonwoo dressed and brushing his teeth. It took him a while to decide but he surprisingly allowed Hyejin inside his room. Hyejin hesitantly entered his room, not stepping deeper into the room once she saw the nearby chair. Jung Hyejin, calm down. Why are you acting like this? She thought, looking down the ground, making a wincing face.

After a couple of minutes, Wonwoo left his bathroom, grabbing his nearby jacket as he started to walk towards the door, making eye-contact with Hyejin. As he left his room, Hyejin followed him out, her hands clasped together. She couldn’t even look at his back figure so she kept looking at the ground. . . Until she bumped into his back.

Wonwoo turned around with his usual blank face as he looked at her. “Where’s the restaurant?” He asked in a really quiet voice but Hyejin was still able to hear him.

She looked at him and let out a soft chuckle when she made eye-contact with him. “I can’t believe you got a cute side,” she mumbled quietly making Wonwoo wonder what she said.

She smiled at him and grabbed his hand, starting to drag him to the direction of the resort restaurant. She smiled, gradually making her grip on his hand tighter. His hand his warm, she thought.

As for Wonwoo, well, he was glaring at their hands. Is this girl really holding my hand? Jeez, what a pain.

“Why are you holding my hand?” He asked, annoyed. He then tried to get her to release her grip on his hand. Jesus christ, why is she holding so tight?

Hyejin ignored him and continued to hold his hand until they reached the restaurant. As soon as they reached it, Hyejin immediately released her grip which made Wonwoo immediately sigh in relief, rushing inside the restaurant.

Hyejin sighed quietly, staring at the hand that held his hand. Are you really feeling like this right now? She let out a chuckle and smiled softly, resting her hand on her chest. You’re an idiot.

“Oh! Wonwoo-ssi, you’re finally here!” Hana said from behind the counter with a big smile. “Ooh, I can see you’re still a bit tired but you’re gonna have to get used to this. If you work a lot, you’re gonna have more breaks than you think!”

Wonwoo rolled his eyes and walked towards the counter. “What am I doing first?” He asked.

Hana heard the tone of his voice and laughed awkwardly. “Maybe we should change the start of your shift… definitely not because it sounds like you’re gonna kill somebody right now,” she mumbled, a bit frightened, but still kept her smile. “Go to the back and you’ll find Jaesun. He’s Korean too so don’t worry about speaking english.”

Wonwoo slightly rolled his eyes as he walked towards the back room behind the counter.

Hyejin finally entered the restaurant, walking towards the counter bowing her head towards Hana who bowed her head back with a smile.

“I’m guessing it was hard to wake him up?” Hana asked, feeling pity for Hyejin.

Hyejin shook her head. “Actually, it was pretty easy. He’s just probably really cranky early in the morning,” she said and secretly let out a small smile which Hana immediately caught.

“You like him, don’t you?” Hana asked with a smirk and chuckled when she saw Hyejin shake her head but her rosy cheeks gave it away. “What do you like about him anyway? He’s just a cold city boy who probably hates the world,” Hana asked as she started to set up the counter, curious to Hyejin’s answer.

“I’m not sure if I really do like him though. I just met him so it’s still kind of blurry for me,” she said and thought about it, resting her elbows on the counter then rested her chin on her hands. “But, I do know that he’s just someone who probably has a hard time warming up to people. And since him and his friends barely hang out with girls, I’m probably just a red dot in his radar.”

Hana thought about it and looked at Hyejin who had a really soft expression as she was talking.

“I’m guessing that you’re the sunshine for everyone around you?” Hana asked, a small smile on her face.

Hyejin laughed and nodded. “At the coffee shop back at Seoul, all of our customers seem to call me ‘Ms. Happy Go Lucky.’ I think Wonwoo is the first ever guy who hasn’t showed an interest on me or even looked at me the way the guy customers do. I know it sounds like those cliche stories but it’s what I feel like. It’s something-”

“Here I am, presenting Jeon Wonwoo,” a voice said from the back room, revealing Wonwoo who was pushed through the door.

Wonwoo was wearing a white, long sleeved polo with black pants and a black apron wrapped around his waist. The two girls stared at Wonwoo with huge grins. Hana whistled while Hyejin tried to hold in her laughter. Wonwoo grimaced and raked his fingers through his hair. “Can I just get this over with? This is getting ridiculous,” he said and glared at Hyejin. “And you, you don’t have the right to laugh.”

Hyejin burst out into laughter and raised her hands in defense. “Sorry, I’m just thinking of you taking orders from customers,” she said and looked at Hana. “How is he going to take orders from customers? He can’t speak english.”

Wonwoo immediately winced when she said that. Damn it, this is going to be harder than I expected, he thought.

Hana looked at Wonwoo with wide eyes. “I thought your dad taught you how to speak english? Or at school?”

Wonwoo stared blankly at Hana and shook his head. “I never really tried in school,” he said. “I might know some basics.”

Hana and Hyejin looked at Wonwoo expectantly. Wonwoo then realized that they wanted him to speak some English which made him sigh. “Uh… my life is hamburger?”

Hyejin and Hana take a while to process what he just said then burst into laughter. Wonwoo immediately glared at the both of them. “Why? Why? Why are you two laughing?” He asked in a raised voice which made a male employee from the back room poke his head out the door.

“Do you know what you just said?” Hana asked still laughing.

Hyejin couldn’t stop laughing. “I can barely speak English, yet I understood that!” She said in between her laughs. “Wonwoo, you just said that your life is a hamburger!”

Wonwoo’s jaw dropped as his stared at the two laughing girls. He wanted to hit himself for being so stupid. Maybe I should’ve taken English more seriously, he thought and, once again, raked his fingers onto his hair. “Yah, yah, stop laughing,” Wonwoo said. “You can’t keep laughing at someone’s dumb English.”

The two girls finally calmed down a bit but still let out a few snickers here and there which definitely made Wonwoo get even more annoyed.

The guy that poked his head out the room finally joined the group with a huge smile. “Hello, I’m Jaesun,” he said and bowed his head towards Hyejin who smiled back, bowing her head as well.

“Hey, I’m Hyejin. It’s nice to meet you, Jaesun,” she said and looked at Hana. “There are actually a lot more Korean employees here than I thought.”

“Anyway, the restaurant’s going to be opening soon,” Jaesun said and placed his hands on Wonwoo’s shoulders. “Get ready, boy. You gotta smile a lot.”

Smile? You have got to be kidding me, Wonwoo thought and glared at Hyejin who was starring at him with a grin.

“Good luck,” she said.

All of a sudden, a blonde girl appeared out of nowhere. Wonwoo and Hyejin assumed that she was the manager. “Alright, guys, it’s time to open up! Get your game face on!” She said in English.

Hana translated for the two. The blonde girl walked towards them and stared. She looked at Wonwoo and smiled. “The new guy?” She asked Hana who nodded.

He can’t speak English so I’ll be helping him until he gets the hang of the job,” Hana said making the blonde girl nod.

Alright, tell him that I won’t be going easy on him just because he’s from a different country. He goes by my rules no matter what, okay?” She said with a smile and walked to the front.

Hyejin looked at Hana - who was clenching her jaw - cluelessly then at Wonwoo who didn’t even take one glance at either of them, eyeing the counter.

“Don’t mind her,” Hana said, speaking Korean again. “She’s usually the one in-charged but she’s not the manager.”

The two shrugged. “Since the restaurant’s open, you don’t mind if I order something right?” Hyejin asked with a huge grin.

Hana nodded. “Wonwoo will be dealing with your order so order what you want. I’ll pay for today,” she said and smiled before leaving off to start her job.

Wonwoo sighed and rubbed his temples as he looked at Hyejin. “What do you want?” He mumbled, glaring at her.

Hyejin noticed the glare and cutely glared back but burst into laughter. “Hmm.. I want..” she said as she stared at the menu display, not understanding a thing, “the cookies and cream milkshake?”

Although she was speaking in a Korean accent, Wonwoo still couldn’t grasp what she was saying. He looked back at the menu display trying to read it. He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. I really should’ve paid more attention in English class, he thought.

“I think it’s a Cookies and Cream Milkshake,” Hyejin mumbled as she looked at the back counter not noticing the glare Wonwoo was giving her - probably because she got used to it. “You should grab those Oreos. Put them in a ziplock bag and crush them.”

Wonwoo raised an eyebrow and, surprisingly, followed her instructions. He grabbed the jar of Oreos, grabbing a couple then grabbed a bag from a nearby box. He placed the cookies inside the bag, locking it before he started to crush them.

“Uh, Wonwoo, use a utensil or something. It’s gonna take longer if you just use your hands,” she said as she watched him hit the bag with his hand. “And I don’t think you have enough strength in your hands.”

Wonwoo immediately side-glared her but decided to ignore her. He looked around and saw a rolling pin and grabbed it. He then started hit the bag with it, the cookies crushing more easily.

Hyejin looked around and grabbed the nearby blender that was in front of her. She got off her stool, tip-toeing to see if there was an outlet. Once she saw one, she plugged the blender and looked at Wonwoo who was finished crushing the cookies. He walked towards her with the bag of crushed cookies.

“Grab milk and some vanilla ice cream,” she said, taking the lid off the blender and sat back down her stool, looking around the restaurant to check that no one saw her.

Wonwoo then appeared with the milk and ice cream. He put down the cup and bowls in front of him, staring at the blender. Hyejin looked at Wonwoo who was clearly confused. You wouldn’t have noticed it unless you looked at his face closely. She let out a small smile and looked around one last time then went to pour the milk into the blender and the ice cream then closed it with the lid. She looked around again.

“Put it on the medium speed,” Hyejin said and watched as Wonwoo listened to her.

She chuckled softly when she saw Wonwoo’s face change a bit. His eyes grew slightly bigger as he watched the blender do its job.

After a while, the milkshake was finally made. He gave the glass to Hyejin who grabbed a straw from counter and took sips. She softly smacked her lips and grinned as she looked at Wonwoo. “You did a good job on your first customer,” she said and took more sips on her drink.

Wonwoo rolled his eyes and looked at the huge window on his left. I wonder if I’ll be able to have a break during this whole month, he thought.

“Hyejin! Wonwoo!”

Hyejin turned around, still taking sips of her drink while Wonwoo took his eyes off the window and stared at his group of friends. The blonde girl stared at the group, overwhelmed by the amount of them.

Soonyoung walked towards them and stared at Hyejin’s drink. “Wow, Wonwoo, did you make it?” Soonyoung asked as he tried to grab the glass from Hyejin who maneuvered faster - dodging him. “It’s mine,” she said and took more sips. She looked away from them as she held on her head. Damn, it’s cold, she thought.

Wonwoo stared at her then looked at his friends. “What are you guys doing here?” He asked.

“We wanted to see our Cold City Boy work. I can’t believe he made something that looked good,” Jeonghan said as he stared at the glass then at Wonwoo. “Can you make us one? I wanna taste it!”

Wonwoo rolled his eyes. “No. Especially you. This all happened cause of you,” he said.

“Hyejin-ah, do you want to come hang out with us?” Seungcheol asked as he took a seat next to Hyejin. “We were planning on roaming around the city then going to the beach. You in?”

Hyejin thought about it and nodded. “Yeah! We’re in Hawaii, I’m down to go sightseeing,” she said and smiled, earning a smile from Seungcheol.

“Yah, what about me?” Wonwoo asked earning a hit on the head.

“Don’t ‘yah’ me. You have to work here! Your dad said,” Seungcheol said.

“Hyungs, we should get going now,” Chan said, “so that we can have time to swim at the beach!”

The maknae line grabbed a hold of Hyejin and dragged her out of the restaurant.

“Have fun here by yourself,” Jun said patting Wonwoo’s shoulder before following the kids.

“We’ll get you something,” Jihoon said and burst into laughter when Wonwoo glared at him.

“Yah! You guys have all month to go around the island! Why can’t you stay here?” Wonwoo said as he watched them leave the restaurant.

“Wow, that’s the most vocal I’ve seen you ever since you arrived,” Hana said as she passed by.

Wonwoo sneered and began to work against his will. Why do I have to do this? He thought. He stared at the glass of the excess milkshake he made. He decided to take a sip. He blinked and took another sip. This is pretty good.


Hey guys! Sorry for not updating for almost one month? My internet in this laptop kept dying on me so I didn't go on it for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it's going to happen so this is when there are going to be super slow updates. Please bear with me! I hope you enjoyed this chapter even though it was kind of boring!