When It Started

Vacation With Ms. Happy Go Lucky

“Yo, Wonwoo, are you sure you should be staying here? It's three in the morning, your parents have to be worried about you.”

“Don't even mention it, Seungcheol-hyung. I don't think that they would even notice since they're so busy with their work that I find it impossible that they would notice me,” Wonwoo said as he stared at the ceiling with his arm resting on his forehead.

Jeon Wonwoo. The son of one of the most famous businessmen in the world. Although the boy has everything, he hates it. Why? The boy basically grew up with no parents even though he actually did. He spent all his time with his friends, he does not regret by the way, and never really got to spend time with either of his parents. Of course, his mother noticed so she tried to get closer to him but he pushed her away. His dad never really talked to him like a normal dad and all he said was “you’re gonna take my place.”

When Wonwoo was fourteen, he started rebelling against his parents. He got tired of trying to catch his parents’ attention by being the good kid and just gave up on everything. He came home late and got into fights in high school. Surprisingly, he still graduated high school and got away with barely studying. He’s one lucky kid.

“Yah, Jeon Wonwoo. Stop daydreaming,” Seungcheol said, hitting Wonwoo’s head with a roll of newspaper. “Could you just go home? I don't want to get charged for kidnapping you.”

Wonwoo sat up from the couch and glared at Seungcheol but he glared at him back which intimidated him. He stood up and grabbed his jacket. “How are you going to be charged when I’m here on my free will,” Wonwoo mumbled

“I’m off,” he said loudly, walking towards the door, putting on his shoes. “Hyung, tell Jeonghan-hyung and Jisoo-hyung I’m off.”

With that, he walked out of the door, his hands in his pockets and his mind going completely blank. All he did was walk to the bus stop. Unfortunately for him, his parents won’t get him a car. He thought about buying his own but he didn’t actually know if he had money for one no matter how rich his parents are.

Once he got into the bus and sat down by the window, he put on his headphones and stared out the window. Even though it was late at night, there were still a couple of people walking around the streets of Seoul. After a while, he noticed a presence beside him. He looked at his left and stared at the girl who was putting her bag next to him and started walking around, giving out something to the people in the bus.

Wonwoo raised an eyebrow and stared at her bag then looked around the bus. Out of all seats, she chose the one beside mine? Tch, he thought.

He was going to go look back out the window but he felt another presence beside him. He slightly clenched his jaw and turned his head towards the girl who was smiling at him, with her eyes in a shape of a crescent moon, lending out a chocolate bar to him. Because of his music, he couldn’t hear what she was saying. He raised an eyebrow and slightly widen his eyes when she gently grabbed his hand, putting the chocolate bar on it, closing his hand. He looked at her in confusion. Right when he was about to say something, she grabbed her bag and rushed to the door, also giving the bus driver a chocolate bar.

Once the bus started moving again, Wonwoo stared at the girl who was running towards something. He then looked at the chocolate bar that he was still holding onto. Why- he thought and looked around, seeing that the people in the bus was a little more bright.

♦♦♦

“Jeon Wonwoo.”

Wonwoo widened his eyes once he saw both of his parents behind the door, waiting for him. Their arms crossed and his dad’s feet, tapping onto the ground.

He pursed my lips and closed the door behind him. He took off his shoes and grabbed his slippers, putting them on. He looked at his parents who were pointing towards the living room. Slightly rolling his eyes, he walked towards the living room, sitting down the couch.

“Why are you guys still up?” Wonwoo asked, checking the clock on the wall, “it’s almost four.”

“That’s what I would like to ask you,” his mom said and lightly karate chopped his head. “Where were you that you came back at this time?”

He silently winced and stared at his parents with a blank face. “I was at my friend’s house. You know, because I can’t entertain myself in this damn house,” he retorted, earning a glare from his dad.

“Wonwoo, you knew that you’re coming with me at work so that I can show you a tour around. I told you to come back before it hits midnight,” his dad said.

“Oh my god,” he snapped, standing up from his seat. “I’m twenty-years old! Stop acting like I’m still a kid in elementary school! I don’t even know why you’re mad at me when I’m way past eighteen years old.”

His parents stared at me with wide eyes. He clenched my jaw and rolled his eyes. “I’m going to bed,” he mumbled, walking towards the staircase.

“Je-Jeon Wonwoo, we’re not done talking here!” his mom yelled out but he immediately shut the door of his room.

Wonwoo tossed his jacket to the other side of the room and laid down his bed, staring at the ceiling. “Why is it now that you guys care how late I come home?” he whispered.

The next morning, Wonwoo sat up his bed, rubbing his eyes. He stared at the ground, trying to keep himself awake. He looked down and realized that he was still in his outing clothes. He groaned and laid back down his bed. He turned his head to look at the clock. 1:27PM, he thought.

He got up his bed and grabbed a change of clothes. He went into his bathroom to take a shower since he’s been in those clothes the whole day yesterday. Once he was finished, he got into fresh clothes and walked towards his door, grabbing his jacket.

Before turning the doorknob, Wonwoo heard something fall to the ground. He looked down and remembered about the girl who was at the bus last night. He crouched down and grabbed the chocolate, scrutinizing it. Who was that girl? She’s weird, he thought and went towards his desk, tossing the chocolate on it before leaving his room.

“Good afternoon, hyung,” a voice said.

Wonwoo turned around and grinned once he saw one of his best friends. He walked towards him and gave him a slap on the hand. “What are you doing here, Mingyu?” he asked.

“Hyungs told me to come get you since you weren’t answering their calls,” Mingyu said as he took a bite of his granola bar. “Seungcheol-hyung thought you actually got kidnapped.”

Wonwoo shook his head in amusement. “No, I was just sleeping on my bed. How long have you’ve been here?” he asked, arching an eyebrow.

“Probably since like ten. Your babysitter opened the door for me,” Mingyu said and winced.

Wonwoo looked at him weirdly taking a peek behind him. “Oh, Soomin-noona,” he said and slightly bowed his head.

“Afternoon, Wonwoo,” Soomin said and turned to face Mingyu who was pouting at her. “And I’m not Wonwoo’s babysitter. I’m just here to take care of the house and if he’s here, I have to take care of him too.”

Mingyu sneered and rubbed his hand. “Sounds like a babysitter to me-” Mingyu instantly bolted towards the door once Soomin raised her arm. “Come on, hyung. The rest are waiting for us!”

Wonwoo stared at the door and let out a slight chuckle before turning towards Soomin, bowing. “I’ll be going,” he said.

“Wait!” Soomin said, causing Wonwoo to turn towards her again. “Your dad wants you to come home early today. He cancelled the plan of you going to his work to… some other day.. I don’t think he’s planned when but please, come home early this time. Just this once.”

Wonwoo shrugged. “I’ll see what I can do,” he said and left the house, slamming the door shut not letting Soomin say anything else that included his dad.

“Aw, my boy is okay!” Seungcheol called out as soon as he saw Wonwoo, giving him a huge bear hug.

Wonwoo frowned and tried to push him away as he was starting to run out of breath. Please, hyung, just let go of me.

“Hyung, it looks like you’re about to kill Wonwoo. Look, his face is turning blue,” Jihoon, another friend of Wonwoo, said as he stared at them, taking a bite of his japchae. “I don't understand why you're so worried about Wonwoo. It’s Wonwoo.”

Seungcheol finally pulled away. Wonwoo instantly kept a distance from him so that he wouldn't get a sudden lost of breath because of him.

“Hey, shortie, Wonwoo isn't that responsible if you haven't noticed,” Seungcheol causing Wonwoo to gape his mouth, staring at him in awe.

“You don't think I'm responsible?! I am really responsible!” Wonwoo retorted. He felt offended, I totally am responsible…. right?

Seungcheol and Jihoon stared at Wonwoo and started whistling awkwardly while starting to walk away from him.

“Hyung! Jihoon-ah,” he said staring at them with shock. Wonwoo then turned to the other two who were staring at them with wide eyes.

Wonwoo walked towards them with a stiff grin attached to his face. “Soonyoung-ah and Jun-ah, am I responsible?” He asked them, trying to act cute which, he had to admit, made him want to kill himself.

“Uhh…” Jun started and stood up, stretching his arms up in the air. Wonwoo wanted to hit him since he answered him in Chinese and walked away from the room.

Wonwoo then shifted his sight to Soonyoung who was trying to hide behind the side of the couch. He rolled his eyes and turned his back at him. “I can't be that irresponsible,” Wonwoo mumbled to himself.

“You are that irresponsible. I mean, you stayed here last night until like three am,” Seungkwan said as he entered the room.

Wonwoo glared at him. “I’m twenty years old! Why do I need to go home early! I'm basically an adult,” he retorted, not believing a thing he's saying.

Seungkwan let out a small smirk as he stared at him. “Are you really, hyung? You're not acting like one,” he said and skipped out of the room.

Wonwoo rolled his eyes and ruffled his hair in frustration. I should've just stayed home and made them think that I was kidnapped…

 

“So, what did your parents do since they caught you come home late?” Jeonghan asked, taking a seat next to Wonwoo. “Are you grounded? Well, you're here so I doubt you are. Are you gonna get punished?”

Wonwoo scoffed and shook his head. “I'm my parents only child, they won't be able to punish me even if I killed someone,” he said and took out his phone.

“Who knows, your dad could be planning to make you work overseas,” he joked earning a glare from Wonwoo.

Wonwoo shook his head while keeping his blank face. “Don't ever joke about something like that. Last time you did that, Soonyoung was forced to work in a coffee shop. And he still works there,” he said.

“Hey, I'm enjoying my time in that coffee shop. You should work too and get the gist of what regular people experience,” Soonyoung said as he appeared beside Wonwoo. “Crap, I forgot that I had a shift today. See you all later,” he said and ran out of the house.

Wonwoo rolled his eyes. “What’s so fun about working? I’m actually glad that I have rich parents,” he said and winced once he felt a hit on his head.

“Just so you know, some of us aren’t rich like you,” Seungcheol said as he took a seat next to Wonwoo. “Even though you don’t like it, you keep relying on your parents. Remember when you almost got caught stealing?”

Wonwoo pursed his lips and looked at him. “I wasn’t stealing. I was going to give it back,” he said.

“Sure, that’s what everyone says,” Jihoon said as he took a seat next to Jeonghan, and leaned in closer to him. “You gotta be a good role model to the younger ones here.”

“That’s true. Actually, most of them are already good role models. You should learn from them,” Jeonghan said and stood up. “Chan-ah~ come here!”

Wonwoo stared at Jeonghan as he went up to their maknae, hugging him tightly. He shook his head and looked back at Seungcheol and Jihoon. Wonwoo groaned and stood up. “Whatever,” he mumbled.

“Wonwoo.. You’re actually home,” Soomin said and grabbed Wonwoo’s wrist, dragging him to his dad’s office. “Talk to your dad.”

Wonwoo rolled his eyes as soon as she closed the door. He had a staring contest with his dad until he broke eye-contact and told Wonwoo to sit down. Wonwoo walked towards his desk and sat on one of the chairs.

“I’m still upset that you came home way later than I expected last night,” he said. “It seems that you like to roam around the streets of Seoul.”

Wonwoo raised an eyebrow. “But I wasn’t. I really was at my friend’s house. Seungcheol-hyung’s. Jeonghan-hyung and Jisoo-hyung was there too,” I said. “They live in the same house.

“Jisoo?” his dad asked. “He came back from America? When?”

Wonwoo narrowed his eyes. “He’s been back two years ago.. You never noticed?”

“You never brought him here. I’m guessing it’s because you’re afraid that I’m going to go all presentation on them,” he said which caused Wonwoo to scoff.

“Of course not. Who would want to be in this house?” Wonwoo asked. “Can you get to the point? I don’t want to waste my time in here. What do you need to tell me?”

“That you’re going to be punished,” he said and looked at Wonwoo with a stern look which caught the boy off guard. “Ever since you were younger, I’ve been patient with you. I think this is when you cross the line. I told you to come home before midnight but you came three hours after.”

Wonwoo gulped and pursed his lips. He has never seen his dad so stern and mad at him. It was true that he’s been patient so Wonwoo’s actually not surprised that he’s had enough of it.

“I’m going to be thinking of your punishment. I’ll tell you when I’ve confirmed it,” he said and went back into doing his work. “You can leave.”

Wonwoo got up the seat and left the room as fast as he could. He shut the door and turned to see Soomin with her arms crossed. Wonwoo rolled his eyes and clenched his jaw.

“What?” he asked.

Soomin wrapped her arm around his shoulders and dragged him away from the door. “Let’s have a talk, Jeon Wonwoo.”