Chapter I: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU AND WHY DO YOU EXIST!?

Miraculous! Tales of Oh Wolf and the Liu Ladybug!

Miraculous! Tales of Oh Wolf and the Liu Ladybug!

Chapter I: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU AND WHY DO YOU EXIST!?

 

THEME SONG!

In the daytime, I'm Amber,
Just a tomboyish girl trying to live Korean life.
But there's something about me that no one knows yet,
'Cause I have a secret...

Miraculous! Simply the best!
Up to the test when things go wrong!
Miraculous, the luckiest!
The power of luck, always so strong!


Miraculous...!


 

Sweat dribbled down Amber’s face as she continued to follow the dance routine. Their dance practice started since five in the morning with stretches and warm ups. Now nine o'clock everyone's falling into automatic position, “Okay, from the beginning again!” The dance instructor ordered as everyone returned to their places. The tomboy wiped the sweat onto her shorts as she formed a pose, waiting for the music to start.

This is her life now. In Korea, a foreign country, trying to live what seems to be a foreign dream. After getting accepted as a new SM Entertainment rookie, Amber moved to Korea without any knowledge of the language, culture, and well, everything. The music blared from the CD player and Amber started the moves swiftly and smooth. She’s rather limited in language, but she’s slowly learning. The dance moves are slowly coming together, too. At first it was hard, but after what seems the hundredth time she’s understanding flexibility. 

After the dance routine the instructor decided to wrap it up for today and sent everyone on their way. Amber sighed as she stretched, feeling rather sore from such elegant and stringent dance moves. “So what do you want to do now?” Amber tried to speak in Korean, but everything came out rather choppy and confusing.

“Huh?” Sulli and Jessica tried to understand, but after the second failed attempt Krystal translated it for them. “Oh.” Sulli suggested to return to the dorms and prepare for the day which everyone agreed to. All the girls left the studio with Amber falling behind feeling somewhat discouraged. It hasn’t been easy for her for the past five months. Struggling with the language is obvious, and then trying to understand a culture that isn’t exactly accepting of difference, well, it . But still, she’ll get over it and reach her goal, that’s all it matters.

Taking out a pair of earphones Amber placed them inside her ears and tossed a piece of bubblegum inside . She can hear the conversations between Sulli, Jessica and Krystal- only in bits and pieces, most of the words she haven't learned yet besides basic greetings. She haven’t spoken to anyone besides her family and friends back in the States, and most of the time it isn't often. Homesickness was also a pain in the , and then dealing with a restrictive diet, a group of girls that may or may not like you and… 

Amber sighed. She wasn’t exactly a person to become easily depressed, but this is a new experience that's really wearing down her spirit-

Without realizing it Amber accidentally bumped- or rather knocked over an old man! “Oh gosh! I’m so sorry, sir!” She immediately went to help the man to his knees. “F-forgive me!” She didn’t mean to intentionally hurt someone! Oh great, what if she’s a bumbling klutz now?! The man however, simply laughed at the situation as he grabbed his cane. “Don’t worry child, I am just too old.” Her head hung in embarrassment as he fully stood.

“No! It’s my fault. I-if only I knew where I was going! Maybe I shouldn't be here…” Amber mumbled. What's the use? Nobody seems to find her interesting. What if these months weren’t worth the investment? “Don’t feel sad child. Your hard work will not be in vain.” The old man grabbed her hands with a firm grip and replied in perfect English. 

“You can speak English?”

“I can speak many things, child. Hm, everyone has a purpose in their lives, yes? If you were given the opportunity to specialize in your difference, what would you do with it?”

“Um…” Amber never thought of it. “Maybe make a difference in others. That we don’t have to look like everyone else in order to be accepted. I just want to be me, and feel happy in my own style and presence.” The old man simply nodded with a smile, “I understand.” He replied.

“Amber! Aren’t you coming?” Amber heard Sulli yell and the tomboy winced, “Sorry sir, don’t mean to waste your time or be rude, but I gotta return home now.” Hah, some “home”where the rooms are so tiny and then having to share one bathroom…

“I see. Take care child, I’m sure you’ll have confidence in your own self eventually.”

Amber jogged towards her teammates in a rush. “Sorry, I had to help an elderly man.” They continued their stride to their apartment and everyone, and I mean everyone had to wait while Victoria unnie took her extremely long showers. While waiting, Amber went inside her room trying to preoccupy herself for the time being. Majority of the times it’s self reflection or playing some sort of video game, other times it writing music or imagining being the girl everyone can accept as herself. On the weekends she’ll play some basketball with a few male rookies like herself, but they often . It’s currently in the middle of self reflection while writing music, and most of the times her insecurities help within the lyrics.

Amber sat on the edge of her bed and looked at the ceiling in boredom. Five months worth of sweat, scraped knees, hunger pains and feeling more alone than ever. It’ll get better soon. I’m sure. But sometimes it can be so hard and stressful, you know? Never having the opportunity to talk to your family or friends, left to fend for yourself in the midst of wolves…- okay, not everyone is a wolf, but most of the bullies are. Amber scowled in distaste, then noticed something a little different in her room, well, shared room with Krystal. Usually her bed would crinkly with a standard cover and pillow, a game portable and maybe papers scattered on the edge, but when did she get a tiny box? Amber blinked in confusion as she snatched the box laying idly against her pillow. It seemed like a little ring box, and when she opened the box Amber couldn't help but to frown. 

Earrings? Seriously…

Yuck. And they’re polka dotted earring at that. Yes, Amber understands she needs to be a little feminine but they don’t have to force her! Well, whatever, she’ll just give them Krystal- what the? A bright spark exploded in Amber’s space, knocking the girl onto the floor as she blinked owlishly. What the heck was that? Some prank? Ugh, totally not funny.

Hi Amber!” Wait, who’s calling her name? Amber looked around but saw no one in the room. “Hello? Up here!” Amber immediately followed and noticed there was a… A…

… 

“Hi!”

Oh my god what the heck is that thing?! Ahh!”Amber let out a high pitch scream as she scrambled away from that. “No, no! It’s okay-“

Get away from me, you bug!” Amber screamed as she tossed her Nintendo DS at the floating, big headed and creepy as hell bug. The bug dodged the DS with ease and sighed, “Amber, I understand that you’re frightened.”

“How did you know my name?!” Amber’s knees trembled as she stood from her fatal position. “You're a bug! Oh my god, I must be dreaming! This can't be real at all… Oh god!”Amber grabbed her notebook and tossed it at the red flying creature. “Go away!”

“Amber, wait!” Its voice was high pitched and feminine, so Amber gathered the thing had a gender, supposedly a girl. And it speaks English, too? “if you just listen to me then I can explain! Eep!”The red flying bug squeaked when Amber grabbed a glass cup and swallowed the bug whole, keeping the cup firm onto the ground as Amber laid on her knees. Amber looked at the thing for a while with wide eyes as she tried to compute whatever this thing was. The bug however, was somewhat annoyed. “Okay,” it said, “Fine, we can talk this way if it makes you feel better.”

“… Oh my freaking god. You’re a big eyed bug.” Amber murmured. What is this thing? This must be a joke, or… Dunno, some active toy? “I am a kwami, thank you very much.” The insect thing scoffed. “And I came to tell you that you’re the chosen one!”She then exclaimed in glee. 

“… T-t-the what?” Wait, wait…

Chosen one? There’s nothing to be chosen. “Hang on, the others gotta see this…” Amber needed to show them this talking insect. Maybe then they can analyze the talking bug and-  “no! You mustn't do that. Nobody must know about me.”

“W-why?” Why is she even talking to this ladybug? Now realizing it, Amber noticed the big black spots on her red skin. “Because I’m only allowed for you to see!” The kwami responded with a smile. Then, there was a sudden knock on the door. “Amber? Are you okay?” Krystal opened the door- and before Amber knew it the red kwami zapped through the glass cup and dove underneath the pillow. What the-? 

“Amber?” The tomboy looked up to find Krystal gazing at her in bewilderment. “What are you doing on the floor?”

“Uh…” Amber glanced at the glass cup. How did that kwami fly out through the cup? “Had to get rid of a big roach.” Yeah, a floating and talking ladybug. “Um, okay. Well, you can go shower now. Everyone's finished and we're planning to go to the café shop today if you wanna come.”

“Oh, t-that's okay. I’ll just hang out on my own today. I’ll see what the guys have in store, you know, basketball and all.” Amber laughed nervously as she stood from her position. Krystal didn’t think anything of it, shrugged and grabbed her purse before leaving the room. 

Amber sighed in relief. 

“By the way, my name is Tikki.” The little flying bug hovered in front of Amber with a smile. “I’m a little god referred to as a "kwami," got it? that’s been around for thousands of years. I came to tell that once you opened the box, I became your new guardian and you are the new miraculous holder!” Amber stared blankly, trying to make sense of the situation that seemed to be crashing down her mental state so suddenly. How the heck did a casual day of morning practice leads to this? And did this thing- okay, kwami, say guardian? “Okay, look, I have no idea what's going on but I’m definitely not whatever the holder you said. You’re not my guardian, and I’d just appreciate if you returned back inside the box.”

The kwami, Tikki, simply frowned. “Amber,” she whined, “It’s not that simple. I can't "return" back into the earrings. Once a kwami selects their owner then the kwami will persist until the owner accepts.”

“You’re going to harass me?” The tomboy scowled at the little kwami. Tikki winced, “I wouldn’t say harassment exactly, but influence the miraculous holders reasons why accepting us is important. We don't pick random people! Okay, well, maybe Plagg…”

“Who?”

“Nothing. The point is that I can feel greatness within you! You have potential to become someone amazing, talented and be the beautiful ladybug that you are.” Honestly, Amber felt her heart being touched by such kinds words, but it doesn’t change the fact that none of this makes sense. Besides, too many questions are popping up inside her head and it makes her wonder if she’s hallucinating from the diet restrictions. “I’m just an average person. I mean, almost everyone thinks of me as a guy, bullies my style and nobody can accept me for me.”

“I already accepted you, Amber! For a miraculous holder, you're the first one that’s really standing out from the previous holders.”

“Wait, there's been previous people?”

“Oh course. How’d you think humanity manage to maintain itself without us? Without the heroes of justice, humanity would have been disintegrated.”

“Heroes…?” This is becoming way too confusing. Seeing Amber’s expression, the little ladybug landed on top of her head and ruffled within the strands of black hair. “I’ll tell you everything you know. But first you need to take a shower! You don't smell very pleasant.” The kwami fanned the air as she cringed.

“Should've gotten me after I took my shower.”

“Well, I wasn't the one who opened the box. Also, that brings up a good point! You need to wear the earrings.”

“Excuse me? Like, haha! Hell no. I barely wear earrings, and even if I did it would be an eyesore to my outfits, no offense.” Amber tried to imagine wearing her common dark greys and black t-s, dark blue snapbacks and black shorts, and then tiny red polka dotted earrings as an accessory. Yeah, like, it won’t ever match.

“Amber…” Tikki whined, “You have to wear the earrings! It’s the only way to become the new hero.”

Huh. Hero? Earrings, talking little kwami bug that’s been passed down for centuries and speaking how she’s the new holder? Hm, sounds like some cliché superhero plotline. “So basically, I’m going to become a superhero.” Amber stated.

Exactly! And the only way for you to become the new Ladybug is wear the earrings. You have to have them on at all times, and you must say my name, then “spots on!” Before I’m into the earrings and give you powers!” … Honestly, if the situation wasn’t abrupt, unsettling and confusing as heck Amber would have easily followed through, but at the moment she’s still WTFing right now.