Chapter IX

Take A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 


Mark didn't know why he texted her. He doesn't even know why he's waiting for a reply when he's sure that she won't text him back. She was scared out of her wits when they first met and sending that text after knowing her condition is definitely a bad move.

Ever since he came to Korea, nothing right went his way. He unintentionally frightened his cousin's roommate, then found out that Tzuyu told the poor girl that he's gay, which he had no other choice but to agree to, then he was told of the news about Peniel. And all of that happened in just a span of three days. He's starting to regret his decision of moving here in Korea.

He got out of bed and went to the kitchen to fetch himself a glass of water. Walking with his sweatpants and a wife beater on, he started recalling all the things that he and Tzuyu talked about a while ago when the latter visited and asked him to cook meals for her and Yumi.

"You know, she reminds me so much of you." Tzuyu said while leaning on the counter and looking at what Mark is doing.

"Yeah? And why is that?" He asked, glancing at his cousin then went back to cutting the vegetables. He will make his specialty since that was what she demanded of him. Her parents are resting early because they will be going to Jeju-do at dawn tomorrow for a business meeting and will be back after three days.

"Maybe because she became my only family here in Seoul. Like how you became my only family back in Taiwan." She looked at him and smiled. 

Sure, Mark's family also took care of her but she knows that they did it because they have to (though no one really asked them to, they just feel responsible for her), while Mark takes care of her because he wanted to. She knows that even if Peniel didn't ask Mark to look after her, he eventually would.

Mark remained quiet, not really knowing what to say, so he kept himself busy. Tzuyu walked over to the sink and washed her hands then decided to help Mark with the vegetables. Mark took a pot and poured some water until it was half filled then placed it over the fire to boil it.

While preparing the other ingredients, Mark looked at Tzuyu who's looking at the chopping board, deep in her thoughts. Mark decided to let her be, he knew she would tell him when she's ready to talk about it. She never keeps anything from him and he to her, it was some kind of an unspoken rule to the both of them. But Mark had that one secret that he can't tell her yet. It's still not the right time for her to know. And it's really not his secret to tell so he kept it from her.

"You two are the same." She suddenly uttered, snapping him out of his thoughts. She's still looking at the board with a smile on her face like she's reminiscing a good memory. Mark raised a brow to ask her who she means and though she can't see it, Tzuyu knew his unspoken question. "Yumi. She's just like you." Finally averting her gaze away from the chopping board, she faced her cousin and leaned her hips on the counter.

Mark's brows shoot up in surprise then furrowed in confusion when the words registered in his brain. Yumi and him? The same? For the short time that he had known Yumi (or known her based on Tzuyu's stories), he honestly can't think of any similarities they share. Okay, maybe the only thing that he knew about her is her fear and what she thinks of boys so he would just wait for Tzuyu to explain herself. He tilted his head to the side and kept quiet, waiting for her to continue.

Tzuyu sighed then looked at the pot in thought before speaking. "The way you care for me, support me, you being there for me, everything, is the same way as she does to me. From the little things like taking care of me when I'm sick, to big things like giving up something huge just for me, sacrificing for me, being selfless, you two are the same." She looked up and met his gaze, her expression softening as she gave him a small smile. "And I may never say it often, but I'm grateful for everything you have done and are still doing." She said full of sincerity and Mark wondered why she's suddenly saying these. It's not likely of Tzuyu to have a serious talk unless something's bothering her. And it nervous him.

Her smile started to falter as she remembered her roommate and everything they talked about last night. She remembered everything that Yumi had been through and she felt a tightening in her chest when Yumi's smiling face flashed in her mind. She looked away with tears in her eyes and said in a low voice, "And in return for everything that she had done for me, I want to help her Mark. I really do want to help her." Her voice was shaking then a tear slid down her cheek that she quickly wiped but it didn't go unnoticed by him.

Mark saw how she fisted her hands on her sides to prevent herself from breaking down. She silently counted to ten, all the while taking deep breaths with her eyes closed shut. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter