Chapter III

Take A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Visiting hours start at 9 in the morning and end at 5 in the afternoon. That's why I'm on my way to the library an hour before 9am. Mom will be here during lunch time and she said she will fetch me at the library.

"Good morning, Yumi." Ms. Choi, the librarian, greeted me. We became really close since I'm almost always here when I don't have anything better to do. "Here you go." She said, handing me a book. "It just came a few days ago. It's a good book." I nodded and said my thanks then went to my usual spot here in the library.

It's always been like this. She will give me books that she had read beforehand then we will talk about it and share opinions.

I sat down then opened the book and started reading. This is one of my hobbies other than sports, reading. When I read, it's like I'm in a whole new world where everything works, a new universe where everything will fall into place, a new dimension where some bad things lead you to good endings. It's wonderful how books can make you feel like you exist in a better place than this cruel world. It's amazing how a story can make you forget about everything else and let you be someone who you wish you could be.

I was so absorbed in reading when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. Without tearing my eyes away from the book, I swiped my phone open. After reading the last line of a paragraph, I looked at my phone and read the text.

From: Professor Han
I need your papers before 12 noon.

Oh, crap! I forgot. I have papers that are due today!

I quickly packed my things and rushed to the desk to borrow the book then ran as fast as I could. The papers are already done but I don't want to be late so I figured that I should give it now. Asking Tzuyu for help would be a bother, that girl is too excited to see her parents that she didn't even get to sleep much last night.

My body froze when I was out of the library and into the hallway when I remembered something. What time is it?

Taking my phone out, my eyes widened when I realized that it's already 30 minutes past ten. I can't go back inside and wait for my Mom to fetch me because she'll arrive during lunch and I won't be able to make it in time but I'm scared that I might bump into someone. What should I do?

Another text came in.

From: Professor Han
Oh, and Ms. Kim, I have the letter you're asking. Meet me before lunch time.

I sighed. I guess I have to go back to my room now. With a wild beating heart, I clutched the phone tightly and braced myself before walking. My head was hung low as I hug myself to look as small and unnoticeable as possible. It's times like this that I wish I wasn't 170cm tall. That way, I won't attract much attention and no one would spare me a glance. I managed to step out of the building without seeing a guy and I breathed a sigh of relief. Okay, Kim Yumi! You can do this. Just walk faster and you'll make it alive. Fighting!

With a new found strength and determination, I continued walking with my eyes still focused on the ground, my steps faster and bigger. Just as I was about to walk past the school's garden, I heard two people laughing not too far from where I am. My body stiffened and my steps came into an abrupt halt as the laughters became louder and louder as if the people are getting close.

"Stop it, oppa!" The girl giggled.

"Oh, but why? You know you liked it." A guy's deep voice replied.

"Stop, please." I pleaded.

"Why? I'm sure you'll like it." He eyed me with a glint of malice in his eyes, inching his face closer to me.

"No. No, don't." I whispered as I held my head when I felt a throbbing pain, like my head is being hit by a hammer. I was having trouble breathing and seconds later, I found myself kneeling on the ground clutching my chest.

No, not now. Please, not now.

"A-are you alright?" I heard a guy's voice from behind and breathing became more difficult. My breathing was ragged as I gasped loudly for the much needed air. "Hey, what's the matter?" I heard him panic and went in front of me. I ignored him and continued gasping for air, my head still throbbing painfully and I was soon crying because of pain. He frantically looked around then muttered something under his breath before kneeling down in front of me. "Let's get you to the clinic." He said and my whole body shook violently. He was about to touch my arm when I crawled away from him.

"Don't touch me. Go away. GO AWAY! DON'T HURT ME!" I screamed as I stare at him with wide eyes. I need to get out of here.

'Mom, help me.' I screamed in my head, hoping she'll hear me. I immediately started looking for an escape while the tears won't stop falling from my eyes.

He was stunned by my reaction, his mouth agape and eyes wide in shock. I tried to stand but my legs felt like jelly and I kept falling every time. All I could think of was to run as far away from him as possible but my legs won't cooperate. But that didn't stop me. I just have to get away from here. He will hurt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter