Preference

Daddy's Heart For Sale

The ride to their office was quiet; very comfortable. "I think we should go over the episode once again," Taeyeon suggested, fearing that she had made a mistake in organizing the set-up. Baekhyun exhaled, "No. I trust you. We don't have to. Besides we can use that time and energy to–“ He was cut short when the car came to a halt suddenly. Resulting both Baekhyun and Taeyeon to jerk forward with force. The belt firmly held the two in place.

Taeyeon clutched the steering wheel and very slowly looked up. "Oh my God!" Taeyeon half-screamed and didn't bother to inquire how her boss was doing before she undid her seatbelt and got out to see the boy who had appeared out of nowhere in front of the car.

Thankfully, Taeyeon was an active driver and she managed to not hit the boy who was carelessly running. Baekhyun bit his lip and thought if he should get out to see Taeyeon or what. 

"Are you alright?" Taeyeon put her hands on the boy’s shoulder that looked no older than twelve. He had a petite figure and it appeared that he had not been eating well. Taeyeon took a quick look at his clothes; torn and old. Then his face; dirtied. The young man was quick to nod his head but kept his gaze down. Taeyeon pulled him up and quickly and lovingly brushed off the dust from his clothes. His head was still hung low. 

"What is your name?" Taeyeon inquired not caring about the fact that– she and Baekhyun were getting late for work.

"Taeyeon!" Baekhyun called rolling down the window, "C'mon. Hurry up." Baekhyun couldn't hear what they were talking about but he saw how Taeyeon pulled out some cash bills from her purse and quickly shoved them to the boy. He took it from Taeyeon and finally met eyes with her.

"Minhyuk..." He stopped, “M-My name is Minhyuk."

 

 

"What was that all about?" It had been bugging Baekhyun since the last five minutes she had come back inside the car. Before moving away, she made sure to wave at the boy– causing him to smile brightly. 

"What do you mean?" Taeyeon asked, looking at the rear-view mirror and smoothly parked her ride in the lot. She undid her seatbelt and finally gazed at Baekhyun who felt like he was ... shrinking under her powerful gaze. Damn her. She really looked amazing today, ripped denim jeans and blue striped button-down shirt. What caught his attention was the fact that he owned something similar to her upper. The ends of the front neatly and slightly tucked in the jeans.

"It's what they do. They use their young age and innocence to draw money from people like you..." 

Baekhyun couldn't name one person beside him and her that could rock this outfit. Realizing he must have been looking like a gawking fool, he quickly met eyes with her. She ... seemed to be smirking at him. That instantly put Baekhyun off the edge and he cleared his throat– not wanting to be caught feeling flustered. "What I'm saying is that I've seen a lot of them around. They purposely run in front of a car."

Taeyeon tapped the steering wheel with her fingers when Baekhyun spoke, "You mean to say... Do they risk their lives for money? Are they that desperate." Taeyeon cracked her knuckles, the scented perfume she wore was driving him absolutely crazy. She spoke to him as she was leading the conversation.

"Yes." He carefully said.

"Then they are better than you and I. Firstly, I don't think anyone would do that. At least, not him. And, even if he were... then I was more than happy to help him." Taeyeon smiled at Baekhyun.

"How is he better than us?"

"Trust me, you don't wanna know."

 

 

Taeyeon made no sense back there, at least this is what Baekhyun was thinking as they walked through the entrance and climbed on the elevator. She tapped her heels on the ground time to time. Annoying the hell out of Baekhyun but he kept quiet about it. As soon as the lift came to a stop, Baekhyun saw an old familiar man talking to someone on the phone. 

"BYUN PD!" He quickly put his arms on Baekhyun's shoulder and pulled him off. He was dragged away from Taeyeon and into the control room of the center. 

"I have a proposal for you."

"For the last time, Mr. Nan but I am really not interested in marrying your daughter." Baekhyun quickly said before the old man had the chance to say anything. 

"It's not about Ara..." He looked almost sad but quickly regained his happy behavior. Baekhyun waited for him to say whatever he had in his mind. "How about... I give you the show and you... help me transfer to the Incredible Adventure's department." As soon as he heard the balderdash about the show proposal and the switch of members, he knew there was no point in continuing the wacky idea or the conversation. He raised his hand to his head, "It will be too messy. Besides, I'm not interested in whatever you are offering me, Mr. Nan. I'll see you sometime later. And don't worry, I'm not mad that you completely wasted my time."

The person's jaw dropped open at the rude behavior but could only huff in frustration as Baekhyun trotted out of the area.

 

 

Baekhyun was peeking through the plastic curtains of his office, he saw when Chanyeol, his co-worker and best friend put his arm around Taeyeon's shoulder. He had come late today. Baekhyun sighed. 

He exited the office to see the giant beaming magnanimously at the woman. He gazed at the two with hooded eyes, not liking the interaction or skin-ship to be exact. "Park PD, I really wish I could–“ Baekhyun didn't even have to hear her say it in full. He knew exactly what they were talking about. Chanyeol asked Taeyeon out to eat bean soup and she, as always disregarded him saying that she had a planned schedule. 

This is exactly how it went each day. Baekhyun chuckled bitterly. Everyone in the office was rushing around to get things done. 'They should have started their work earlier. But no, they had to slack off.' Baekhyun thought to himself. He clapped his hands together to gather everyone's attention. 

"Meeting in five. Everyone get in. Get your notepads. And," He pointed at Chanyeol and then shook his head. Asking him to behave in the office. The giant's face gave way to sadness but only for a moment before he stepped away to gather his things. Taeyeon sighed in relief and quickly started stacking up her files and notes for the meeting.

Baekhyun smiled, seeing her relieved expression.

 

 

"Maknae..." Chanyeol's hushed voice rang in everyone's ear. He was whispering to their youngest member, who was a part-time worker/intern. Baekhyun had been directing him for the past few minutes but it was only now when everyone noticed he wasn't mentally present in the room. "Taehyung..." Chanyeol nudged with his elbow and he quickly snapped his head to the side to see Baekhyun's frowning face.

"Get your head together," Baekhyun growled and cracked his knuckles in frustration. "This is exactly why you make mistakes. You have to clue about anything ever since you joined here. And, you don't ask for help for some darned reason and just try to do things your own way. YOU MESS UP." Baekhyun shouted at him but found himself feeling apologetic when he saw Taehyung's sad expression. This boy obviously had a lot on his mind.

"Do you need me to say it again?" Baekhyun exhaled and asked with kindness. It was his job to train the interns well. So, he had to do it no matter how many times he was asked to. Taehyung quickly shook his head and said, "N-No. I will be fine. I heard you the first time..." He said unsure but Baekhyun didn't push it. He eyed the empty seat around the meeting table and he took a glimpse at Taeyeon.

"Where is Yeri?" He finally asked. The girl was Taehyung’s twin sister and they both were currently working as interns in their department. His question was directed towards Taehyung but the guy had no clue himself. Baekhyun said to Taeyeon, "Did you call her?"

"I couldn't... reach her today either. But, I'm thinking about dropping by her house tomorrow."

Baekhyun nodded his head in acknowledgment, "And, did you finish editing the part?" He asked, still talking to Taeyeon. She gave him a nod and Baekhyun addressed Taehyung next, "If you need help with your task. Please. Come and ask. It is why I am here." The youngest gave him a thumbs up and Baekhyun's lips turned up slightly.

The meeting was dismissed and everyone got outside to continue with their tasks. Baekhyun looked at the clock. He had to pick up Tae Ho in thirty minutes. He felt excited for some reason, he wanted to know what happened in school all day. He was about to get up when the door burst open to reveal a reddened Taeyeon. She shut the door behind him and Baekhyun watched with curiosity. 

"W-What is it?" He inquired feeling that something had upset her.

"You should have taken up the offer." She stated with fire in her eyes. 

"I don't know if you know but it wouldn't have been beneficial for us, Taeyeon." He quickly answered. Not losing ounce of his confidence. "Are you saying whatever we are doing is?" Baekhyun frowned.

"We can't even make it up to 6 rating and with that– we could have at least–“ Taeyeon was cut short when Baekhyun spoke, "You don't know what you are talking about, Kim PD. I know what we are doing. We'll eventually get it. I'm guaranteeing a good rating for this weeks episode. We can't keep switching our concepts, y'know." Baekhyun started off rough but quickly came to a realization that Taeyeon was only just worried about their program. It was constantly threatened to be taken off and disregarded.

Taeyeon opened to protest but didn't have anything to say, "What if we don't make it this time? We'll... really be over after this."

A cocky smirk flitted across Baekhyun's face, "Trust me, Taeyeon. You don't wanna know." 

 

 

"Yeol, look inside the fridge. If you actually use your eyes you'll see the banana milk." Baekhyun was exhausted beyond words. He got so busy with his work that he couldn't even pick Tae Ho from his nursery today. Chanyeol was a person that Baekhyun could depend on, so he asked him to take Tae Ho home. Chanyeol was a reliable guy. Not that Baekhyun would admit it.

"THERE IS NO SIGN OF THAT GOD DAMNED !" Chanyeol screamed from his phone and Baekhyun hissed. 

"Why the are you cursing? You ing want me to beat you?" He growled but quickly parked his car out of the convenience store. "I'll buy it. Tell Tae Ho to wait. I'll be back in five minutes." 

"You talk to himself! He's screaming like i- umm... Here, Tae Ho-ah. Daddy wants to speak to you." Chanyeol gave the phone over to the young screaming child who relaxed when Baekhyun spoke to him.

"Tae Ho-ah, why are you giving daddy's friend a hard time?" Baekhyun's sweet voice made the little one cool down. "Daddy did a good job spoiling you, right? I'll bring the milk soon. Okay? So why don't you go watch..." Baekhyun checked his watch and continued, "It's Doraemon time. Go sit on the couch and tell uncle to put it on, okay? I'll be back before you know it." Saying that; Baekhyun cut off the call and went inside the convenience store. 

It was deserted, but then again he didn't exactly live in a place where people would go out of their houses after 9PM. Baekhyun went over the beverages and picked up the banana milk carton from the chilled section. "Should I get two in case?" He said to himself, cocking his head to the side. 

"What do you mean you won't accept it?" Baekhyun snapped his head to the side when he heard a familiar voice. It was Taeyeon. He didn't even need to think twice. He peeked over the racks to find her talking in a loud manner to the cashier. Baekhyun raised his brows and absent-mindedly put the carton down. He made his way towards her and stood behind her frowning.

"Ma'am..." The cashier looked very apologetic and bowed, "It says it already expired..." Baekhyun was still trying to comprehend the situation.

"I..." She started and then fixed her handbag that was hanging loosely from her shoulder, "Just forget it." Taeyeon bit her lip– feeling extremely embarrassed and began to walk away when Baekhyun grabbed her wrists tightly. Halting her. 

"Taeyeon." He called his name as if he was unsure. He gave a look to the cashier who looked quite relieved that Taeyeon was leaving. She moved her head to meet eyes with him. Taeyeon was very stunned to see him and didn't know what to say at that moment. She quickly turned her face away to hide her embarrassed face. She was frowning.

"I'll pay." Baekhyun let go of her and pulled out his wallet from his pocket. He fished out some amount and looked at Taeyeon for confirmation before paying. He glanced at the item she bought. A packet of cigarettes. She was staring right at him. No expression on her face. Baekhyun hesitantly picked up the pack and held it out to her who snatched it from his hand.

"Thanks, I guess." She mouthed to him and pushed the glass door open to... run away from him. Her steps were fast but she wasn't moving at a very fast pace. 

"Taeyeon. Stop."

No reaction. He called again, "At least, share them with me. After all, I am the one that bought them." Taeyeon slowly turned and balled her fists. "Can you even smoke?" She dared and smirked at him. Baekhyun furrowed his brows. What was up with her attitude? She ... felt weird. 

He nodded, "Girl, try me." Baekhyun walked towards her and seized the item. He tore away the opening and pulled out one cylindrical cigarette. He slipped it between his fingers and put it in his mouth. 

He watched Taeyeon do the same. But, unlike him. She was hesitating. Finally, when she put it in ; did Baekhyun begin to question her, "Why do you smoke?" He paused and then continued, "I didn't know you did."

"I don't." She chuckled and looked down to her feet– Taeyeon puffed on the cigarette and put her face up to exhale a big cloud of smoke. "I just felt like doing it today. Didn't realize, I didn't have any money on me." She looked at him– as if trying to communicate something to him, "I didn't know you smoked." She added the question to him.

"Uh, it's a bad habit, I know. Been trying to get rid of it for a long time." He chuckled and looked at her.

"When was the last time you smoked? How long have you gone without smoking this baby?" Taeyeon's eyes crinkled in amusement. She said twirling it around her fingers.

"Actually." Baekhyun laughed, "Right now. I broke my habit. Hadn't had one in a month. Longest I've gone." Taeyeon almost felt apologetic. 

"Geez. Sorry, man." She stuck her tongue out. And stubbed the cigarette; much to Baekhyun's surprise she spared him a smile and threw it behind her without looking back. "It tastes like ." She laughed and looked at Baekhyun who still had it in . 

"You might wanna get that out of your mouth. For good."  Taeyeon paused, "You're gonna have to get rid of this habit if you want to have a girl want to kiss you." It was a daring moment. Baekhyun stopped dead. He looked over to her. Who was not looking away from his gaze. 

"... What makes you say that no one wants to kiss me?" He said before he could stop himself, "I think there are plenty of girls that want me to kiss them... And, I believe you are one of them."

Taeyeon choked; she felt a strong knot forming in her stomach. "Don't flatter yourself. If you–“ Taeyeon was cut short when all of a sudden thunder roared and spared them from continuing the awkward conversation. Taeyeon put her hand out and looked up at the sky, "Seems like it is my cue to leave." She said referring to the rain that was beginning to fall slowly.

Baekhyun stood in silence only to be brought back to reality as Taeyeon's voice sounded once more, "I'll help you... with this." Shockingly enough, Taeyeon extended her hand to Baekhyun's face and pulled the cylindrical cigarette from his mouth. Stunned and perplexed was Baekhyun. Not knowing what to do. 

"See you tomorrow, Byun PD." Taeyeon walked away quickly, leaving a very confused Baekhyun before he could bring himself to offer her a ride. He looked down on the packet. 18 more left. 

Should I quit... or go on?

 

 

 

"YOU!" Chanyeol growled as soon as Baekhyun entered the house, "Please, I don't want to have to do anything more with this monster. You keep him. So much for ing five minutes." Chanyeol left right after that and Baekhyun quickly went inside to see Tae Ho engrossed in his favorite TV show. His small figure was wrapped around the strawberry decorated pink blanket. He liked the color pink. Even his room was painted with this color. 

"Baby..." Baekhyun went to sit down beside his child who didn't even greet him back. Baekhyun called out his name again and lightly placed his hand on Tae Ho's back. "Aren't you sleepy?" 

Tae Ho finally moved his head and looked at him with glowing eyes. "Did Daddy bring ... milk?" . . . Baekhyun bit his lip, drawing blood. But, he was too much drowned by rage to care about that. that banana milk and me. 

"Did daddy forget?" Baekhyun nodded his head, feeling very ashamed. He didn't realize when Tae Ho stood up on the couch to get on Baekhyun's level and put his arm on his shoulder and placed his head on his own arm. He patted Baekhyun with his hand. "It's no problem. He told me... you have work," Baekhyun felt like crying, he moved and pulled Tae Ho into an embrace. A very tight one.

"Is it bad..?" 

"Yes, baby... But, you don't have to worry about a thing. Daddy will... be better, okay? Let's go out tomorrow and eat pizza together, huh? How does that sound, little champ?" Baekhyun put him down and grabbed Tae Ho's  shoulders. The little boy nodded quickly; feeling delighted. 

"Good boy."

"Can daddy s-sleep with me?" 

"Why? Did you have a bad dream again?"

"... No, but daddy did last night." Tae Ho spoke; stunning Baekhyun, "I'll be with you so, don't be sc-scared."

 

 

Aww, isn't Tae Ho just a cutie pie? Such a nice kid. Ha, so here you guys go! 3k words. Your welcome. The last part was a bit more interesting than the rest, yeah? Well, leave your comments below or I won't update.  No, just kidding. You'll get your update soon <3 ^^ But, really hope you guys enjoyed this little chapter. There is a lot to come in future so please look forward to it. BYE!