End

Butterfly

I’m so sorry for confusing you all

“Jeongyeon and I struggled over the pen.” Sana’s voice was monotone, her eyes looking far off to her left. “Nayeon tried to stop us. Then…”

“You slipped.”

We slipped.” Sana raised her voice to correct her. “I wasn’t the only one with the pen in hand.”

“But you did try to cover up your tracks.” Dahyun’s voice was low, croaking at the edge of sadness. “Instead of confessing to manslaughter like Jeongyeon.”

“And I would have g-gotten away with it…”

The raven-haired doctor rested her cuffed hands on her thighs as she sat on the white cell with one leg over the other. Sana felt her eyes sting, the sniffles shaking her whole body. Dahyun sighed, leaning back on her place in the padded cell and looking away from the girl. Sana looked up through teary eyes at the young woman, her side profile quickening her heart.

“All because of a pen.” Dahyun bit her tongue. “And Nayeon was going to help improve Jeongyeon’s tolerance for children.”

“But Chaeyoung was going to fire her.”

“If her performance continued to decline,” Dahyun emphasized. “It was, but at the end Chaeoyung wanted to fire her so she could let 2yeon date.”

“2yeon?”

“Their couple name.” Dahyun chuckled bitterly. “Thank Chaeyoung for that, who also told me that giving you that pen was a good idea.”

Silence.

“It could’ve worked,” The prodigy continued. “Jeongyeon could’ve started her own freelance business in somewhere small and she could’ve lived well with Nayeon.”

“And what about us?”

“Well, you and jeongyoen got yourself into this mess.”

“I didn’t even know why she lashed out about it!” Sana grew frustrated, raising her voice when her eyes caught the stray butterfly in the room. “She just did!”

“It might be because both of us aren’t on good terms.” Dahyun rubbed her eyes. “I’m- I’m sorry for dragging you into this.”

“What did you both even do?” Sana shook her head in disbelief. “It can’t be rivalry because her reaction was too severe, so- “

“We dated.”

Sana blinked.

“We dated and split because we were too distant with each other,” Dahyun groaned. “And she didn’t take it well.”

“Well, that can’t be all- “

“And we both like you!”

“I- what?!”

Sana scrambled up, anger building within her. Dahyun winced and moved herself away from the older doctor. She gently raised her arms in case she needed to defend herself.

“What do you mean, Doctor Kim Dahyun?!”

“I gave you that pen because you were the friendliest doctor here!” Dahyun stood fiercely, despite being much smaller than her patient. “Jeongyeon was the only one that caught it as my confession!”

“Well you could do a better job of confessing!”

“And what?!” Dahyun had dropped her reams of notes. “Put you in risk of a psychopath’s wrath?!”

“You said she’s dating Nayeon!”

“Because she wasn’t prepared to confess to you!” Dahyun punched the wall behind Sana. “And neither did I, but here we are!”

Sana’s heart raced.

“Nayeon was going to be the answer to all of our problems,” Dahyun growled. “And now she’s gone in a mortuary being prepared for a funeral because someone couldn’t keep it in their pants!”

“So why am I being blamed?!” Sana grabbed Dahyun’s shoulders, her eyes flicking between the young doctor and the gathering butterflies around the door. “If Jeongyeon was the one that started this, then-?!”

“Because you’re showing signs of mental instability.” Chills shook Sana’s nerves. “You can’t handle the death, and it’s showing.”

“Please!” Sana laughed hesitantly. “I-I can’t be crazy! I’m doing fine-!”

“You treated the rookie, Tzuyu, like a patient,” Dahyun began. “Like she didn’t belong.”

“W-Well-!”

“Your eyes often drift.” Dahyun shoved her other hand behind Sana. “You’re eying something that’s not there.”

“I’m just thinking-!”

“Your mind shut out the trauma and made you forget. They manifested physically, and you’re always drawn to it. So you reset your mind, pretend like nothing happened.”

“Dahyun, stop-!”

“It’s the butterflies, Sana!” The prodigy grabbed Sana’s arms and shook her vigorously. “They are your guilt! They keep you in the dark and they're messing with your head since the murder? You've replayed the times before the murder as a safety measure! And now the butterflies are here since you know!

"Since you remembered!"

Sana didn’t know where they were coming from. Their wings kept popping out of nowhere, and before she knew it there was ripple of rainbows on the far wall. She choked on her breath at the sight of so many butterflies. Sana tried breathing quickly to make up for lost air, but the lightheadedness remained. Her name kept screaming over and over in her mind, and Sana couldn’t-

Her view suddenly shifted to the side.

Pain burned her cheek as Sana looked forward again. The walls were white once more, but when she looked down her heart pinched. Tears were flowing down Dahyun’s cheeks, but the genius did her best to not cry.

“Why…?”

Sana didn’t know what else to do except hug the younger doctor.

“At the very least, we can argue for you to plead insanity so you could come back here.” Dahyun wiped her face against Sana’s coat. “Same with Jeongyeon, since you’re both involved in Nayeon’s death. You’ll both be fired, though.”

“I guess I can’t weasel my way out of this any longer…”

Sana’s back stiffened when Dahyun hugged her back.

“Yeah, well.” The younger doctor nuzzled Sana’s chest. “It is what it is.”

More silence, but it grew comfortable for the both of them.

“So, what now?”

“Argue insanity as much as possible and hope you both will be assigned to us.”

“Alright…”

Dahyun’s heart rate spiked when Sana gave her a soft peck to her lips.

“Thanks…”


A/N: I finally finished it with as much of the loose ends tied up as possible. Much gratitude to you lovely readers that stuck around through this mess of a plot, and I'm so, so sorry for confusing you guys. I was trying to make it really subtle, but it might came off really wrong, so again I'm very sorry. But, if there are still some plot holes, I will try to edit and rewrite some of the stuff to make it more cohesive for you guys. 

Thank you for reading, and have a wonderful day.