Game

Butterfly

The doctors awoke in the padded cell.

They both stared at each other groggily from across the room, their eyes giving mutual understanding of their circumstances. Sana eyed Jeongyeon’s dark-stained and tattered white coat while the older smirked with a huff. The doctors then looked to the door on the side, their breaths in wait. They gasped after a minute of anticipation, the doors remaining shut where they were.

“Well, we’re stuck here,” Jeongyeon noted. “Unless you have a brilliant plan to get out of this cell.”

Sana sat in silence, her heart racing as she stared at her colleague.

“Let’s not dally then.” Jeongyeon stood and stretched. “How about we try and scratch the hinges off?”

Sana placed a hand in her pocket, remembering the weight that dropped in her pocket from behind. She pulled it out, her eyes widening at the blue shine of the plastic wings. The doctor looked back to her fellow, seeing the butterfly flutter from her head to her own hand. Sana clenched her fist, crushing the butterfly beneath into a stream of images that clouded her present. Her gaze snapped to Jeongyeon, the stains calling to her as they sowed the images to her memory.

Sana gulped as she stood, her eyes still stuck to the dark stains.

“Oh, finally.” Jeongyeon grinned at her fellow as she walked over. “Got a pick? I think- “

The doctor yelled when Sana clutched at with both hands. Jeongyeon gripped her friend’s wrists, trying to wrench her off but the insane strength of the younger kept her pinned against the door. Sana growled, tightening her hold as she tried to bring just retribution.

“The least you could is ask how I was feeling!” The girl felt her heart tear at the sight of the handsome woman. “You don’t just cause all this trouble, drag me into it and disregard how I feel!”

“What trouble?!” Jeongyeon choked as she managed to raise a foot to Sana’s stomach. “I didn’t do anything!”

“You did it!” Sana screamed as she was kicked away, falling hard onto her back. “You murderer!”

“Murder?!” The handsome woman spat away the biting bile that rose in . “What the hell?!”

“It’s you, I remember now!” Sana stood on shaky legs with an accusatory finger. “You killed her! You killed Nayeon!”

The words echoed in the empty room as they locked tense eyes. No one spoke, Jeongyeon stared darkly at Sana as the younger poured her fury into her gaze. The silence was broken by a quiet, yet earth-shaking laugh from the handsome doctor.

“Oh, I see where this is going.” Jeongyeon’s voice was blank, void of emotion. “This is because I’m a psychopath, huh?”

Sana lowered her hand, her hard gaze speaking through her silence. Jeongyeon laughed, her grin now hollow as her eyes bored into Sana with only analysis. The doctors never broke their ocular link, studying each other from vastly different lenses.

“Framing the psychopath is the easiest way to get out of this situation.” Jeongyeon massaged her neck, stretching her gaze upwards to pull Sana’s eyes to her jawline. “I hid it for a long time, and told you once, but I didn’t think you’d do this to me.”

“You were the one that hated working with Nayeon,” Sana accused. “You can’t wave that away.”

“Except I didn’t,” Jeongyeon said as she straightened her back. “I’m not stupid and I’m not crazy with a pen, Sana.”

“Trying to blame me now?” Sana huffed and shook her head, her fists clenching tightly. “Jeongyeon, we know that’s not going to work!”

“It will work when the evidence comes back,” Jeongyeon said. “The pen will have both of our fingerprints from when I tried to pry it from your murderous hands.”

“I’m the one that tried to stop you from stabbing the woman!” Sana’s rage was bubbling within her. “Not like it matters now, since her blood probably washed away our prints.”

“…You’re right.” Jeongyeon scowled. “And since there were no cameras in the room, that would mean that there is no other evidence.”

“…Except for us.”

The doctors snapped their gazes to each other.

“Well, aren’t we screwed.” Jeongyeon laughed bitterly. “Seeing as we’re only going to accuse each other until we’re both arrested for murdering Nayeon.”

“Please, the law can’t do that.” Sana scratched her head bashfully. “…Can they?”

“Come on, you should know this.” Jeongyeon shook her head. “Prisoner’s Dilemma.”

“Unless they do a psychological testing on the both of us,” Sana butted in. “And they find you’re the psychopath, thus making them trust you less.”

“You’re really going to keep on with my psychopathy, huh?” Jeongyeon shook her head as she crossed her arms. “Look, I’ve passed the test before and I can pass it again. Plus, Chaeyoung already knows. Why do you think I got Nayeon?”

“So you knew?!”

Jeongyeon drilled a finger into Sana’s cheek.

“I’m unfeeling, not deaf.” Jeongyeon grunted through Sana’s whine as she continued to poke Sana’s cheek. “You should know that, seeing as I’m your only friend.”

“Nuh uh!” Sana threw her fellow’s finger away. “I-I got… Jihyo, Momo, and Sana!”

“Two of them are your patients,” Jeongyeon flatly stated. “And the last is a mute dancer.”

“Yeah, well I didn’t murder any of my patients!”

“Because you murdered mine!”

“Shut up!” Sana rushed Jeongyeon, her hands instantly grabbing the older colleague’s neck. “I didn’t kill Nayeon!”

The short-haired couldn’t utter a smart comment, instead, replying by wrapping her hands around Sana’s wrists. Jeongyeon can already feel the lightheadedness as her strength faded from her hands. The older doctor could only see the still hands around her neck as her own fell. Since when did Sana have strong hands?

Jeongyeon fell unconscious in Sana’s grip.

The raven-haired doctor jumped at the slammed door. Dahyun rushed in with two guards that pulled on Sana’s arms, apprehending her from choking Jeongyeon further. Dahyun knelt quickly and examined her fellow, making sure that she was still alive. Her pale fingers felt a very, very faint breath, giving Dahyun a sigh of relief. She turned the struggling Sana as the latter did her best to wrench her arms away from the blue uniformed guards. They weren’t giving her an inch.

“Let me go!” Sana could feel herself weaken with every second she struggled. “Let me-!”

“I don’t think you’re in any authority to give commands, unnie.” Dahyun’s eyes were lowered in Sana’s direction. “You can drop the innocent act.”

“Act?!” Sana was growing crazy. “I am innocent!”

“Not just yet,” Dahyun said. “You haven’t been playing nice for this session.”

“Nice?! I was about avenge Nayeon!”

“No, you weren’t.” The prodigy took hesitant steps. “You were finishing up loose ends.”

“But-!”

“Look, even if we couldn’t get you for Nayeon’s murder, we can get you attempting to murder Jeongyeon.” Dahyun finally raised her eyes, but something was missing in her gaze. “It was her idea anyways.”

She grabbed Sana’s jaw and forced their eyes to meet.

“You can’t run from this, Sana.” The admiration from before was missing. “Jeongyeon risked her life to get you behind bars for killing her girlfriend.”

Wait, what?
“Take her to a separate cell,” Dahyun ordered, looking down on the unconscious Jeongyeon. “We’ll interrogate her later.”

The guards nodded as they carried away a still and distraught psychiatrist. Sana couldn’t believe it. With every second her feet dragged against the floor, reality finally dawned on her.

Her plan failed.

Sana lost.

She couldn't successfully place the blame.