Anxiety

Butterfly

Sana blinked.

She had finished most of her reports within the hour, which should give her enough time to relax before the next patient. She sighed, taking out her butterfly pen from her coat chest pocket and wrote down some more notes on the stack of post-it papers beside her computer. She set herself reminder-points to finish her reports, pulled out the top page and stuck it to the screen of her monitor.

The doctor caught her toe on one of the wheels of her chair.

She yelped and fell forward, her arm clamping onto the table for safety. Instead, her fingers caught onto the pen and brought it to the ground. Sana’s eyes followed the utensil as it fell like a raindrop. She followed it in slow motion, even as it landed on the wings of one of the butterfly.

Her heart fell as it shattered.

The pen bounced harmlessly, but the butterfly pin broke into tiny, glittering pieces. Sana cursed as she tried to pick up the pen, but froze when she saw the pieces bleeding red. She jumped back and blinked. The pieces were still dry. Sana approached it slowly, scared that the blood will return.

“And how’s my widdwe cousin doing?”

“Okay, unnie!”

Sana quickly stood as her boss entered her office. Chaeyoung was hugging her older cousin, almost hopping just so she could reach Nayeon’s cheeks to squeeze. The older cousin giggled, bending down to let the small family member to do as she please.

“Who’s a good actress?” Chaeyoung rolled Nayeon’s cheeks. “Who’s a good actress?”

“I will murder you if you go any further than this has to.”

“Well, it’s not my fault your psychiatrist is a moron!” Sana blinked at Chaeoyung’s harsh words. “I would’ve paid you sooner if she found out we were pranking her this whole time!”

“Wh-why are you two here?!” Sana rushed over to them to shut their faces. “Jeongyeon’s gonna find out!”

“Oh, yeah,” Chaeyoung said as she gripped Sana’s oppressive wrists tightly. “I was gonna fire her anyway.”

“WHAT?!” The young doctor felt faint, taken aback as she had to lean against a nearby desk. “W-wha-why-?”

“Look, she’s scary.” The doctors looked to the fake patient as the eldest crossed her arms. “She’s not normal. The crazy doc is giving me creepy vibes. Like psycho.”

“Basically she’s inflexible and too by the book,” Chaeyoung summed up as she crossed her arms. “I don’t have anything concrete against her, but I don’t want to risk losing potential clients because one of my doctors can’t handle children.”

“Oh, come on!” Sana gripped her hair. “This is probably just like one case!”

“I’ve had feedback from parents that disliked having her as their doctor.” Chaeyoung pulled out a cigarette from her coat pocket and stuck it between her teeth. “Sure she might have done a good job, but those parents told me that they felt uncomfortable leaving their kid with someone like her.”

“What about her?!” Sana threw her arms at her boss. “Maybe she’s just not very good with handling children, but she could handle them because they’re patients.”

“Look, I know this may seem irrational,” Chaeyoung admitted as she raised her arms. “But even I’ve been getting weird vibes from the girl ever since I hired her.”

“Well, she could just be asocial,” Sana defended. “Not very good with people, I mean she already passed all psychological checks to get in here, so she can’t be mentally unstable.”

“I know she’s your best friend and all, but hear me out,” Nayeon butted in, laying a hand on the younger’s shoulder. “I don’t think she knows what feelings are.”

Sana stared at the oldest, dumbstruck.

“I’m done.” Sana returned to her desk and picked up her notebook and her dropped pen. “I’m going to go to my next patient.”

“Hirai Momo, right?” Chaeyoung took the cigarette out of . “I just passed by her, she was looking for you, but went downstairs.”

“Downstairs?” Sana stopped at the doorway with a raised eyebrow. “There shouldn’t be anything there, unless she knows where the garden is.”

“Isn’t that dancer there?” Nayeon elbowed her cousin. “That pretty girl, uh, Myoo, Moo Myu-, Main- “

“Myoui Mina?” Chaeyoung checked the clock on the wall. “Yeah, it should be her outdoor time in the garden.”

But before the little boss could finish, Sana had bolted. The halls were relatively empty, that only made navigating harder for the doctor. She had to remember the vending machine before taking that familiar left. She rushed down the flights of stairs and hopped out at the landing, sprinting straight ahead. She ran past the hallway before bursting through the heavy doors into the central courtyard. She breathed in the cool air as she her eyes scanned the concrete near the pool.

Momo held Mina as the dancer leaned back.

Sana’s jaw dropped as Momo led Mina’s dance in the waning afternoon light. She took the first step, leading the mute ballerina into her ode. Their steps were refined, their movements swift, yet elegant. They flowed in and out of each other easily, pushing and pulling each other way to the invisible music. Only the wind guided their movements, or was it them that guided the winds?

Sana heard footsteps slow down behind her.

“Woah…”

“Okay, that’s freakin’ pretty.”

“That’s my patient…”

The doctors snapped to the fourth voice, a tall girl in a doctor’s coat. Chaeyoung jumped and wrapped Tzuyu’s neck in a chokehold before slowly carrying her away. Tzuyu’s mouth was kept shut with another of the actual doctor’s hand. Nayeon and Sana watched as Tzuyu was dragged before returning their sights to the beautiful dance unfolding.

Sana squeaked when she found two fists holding each other to her heading to her face.

She covered as she jumped just as the patient dancers stopped. Momo gave one wink to her doctor before she turned and spun Mina round, the latter keeping a beautifully blank face as she danced. Momo let go of the dancer and let her spun around the pool, continuing her rotation of dance. Sana glared at Momo’s smirk.

“I think that’s the first girl you didn’t sleep with.” Sana pulled out her notebook and her pen. “I need to record this.”

“W-wait!” Momo gripped her doctor’s hand, suspending it just as Sana pushed out the ballpoint. “Please don’t write this!”

“Why?” Sana grinned excitedly at the patient’s fear. “It’s an improvement!”

“I know you or your boss give some sort of report to my sister,” Momo said as she lowered Sana’s hand. “I don’t want her to know that I dance.”

The doctor furrowed her eyebrows.

“But, you do dance,” Sana recalled hesitantly. “Or at least take lessons to be really, really good- “

“But that’s because she thought it would annoy for me to follow her in her footsteps.” Momo sheepishly let go of Sana’s wrist. “She’d never thought I would actually like it and get good…”

“Right.” Sana wrote it down anyways. “I’m sure your sister wouldn’t be thrilled to have her sister join in the family business of dancing instead of being a businesswoman.”

Momo screwed her eyes shut.

“Are you sure you’re not a compulsive liar?” Sana bit the back of her pen. “It seems like the one night stands are just a byproduct of it.”

“Okay, okay!” Momo sighed, looking away from her doctor. “I don’t want to leave…”

Sana was waiting for the reason, leaning her ear into Momo’s heavy silence.

“Yes?”

“I think I’m in love...”

Sana blinked.

“Okay, this is strictly a doctor-patient relationship- “

“No!” Momo jumped on Sana to cover . “Not you…”

The patient looked back to the gentle steps gliding at the edge of the pool. Sana’s eyes widened as she snapped her gaze between the two dancers. Momo sighed, and that was all Sana needed to feel that shaky heart.

“Are you serious?” Sana dropped her notebook and pen to shake her patient’s shoulders. “You must’ve really lost it! I should turn you in to the padded rooms!”

“I am serious!” Momo slapped her doctor’s arm. “Look, I can’t explain it, but dancing with her just pushed something within me…”

The dancer leaned in to the younger doctor, grabbing onto her shoulder for support.

“That’s why I stayed,” Momo continued. “I didn’t want to come here, but when I saw her the first day, I just had to try. Sure I wanted to sleep with her, but her dance mesmerized me. So I always came a few hours earlier to get in much needed contact with her, and it’s just the most romantic thing I’ve ever done, and never once did I want to just… Ugh…”

“She’s a patient,” Sana explained adamantly. “She’s suffered mental trauma that caused her to become mute. She can only dance, nothing more.”

“Do I care?!” Momo let go, taking a few steps back. “She makes me feel stuff I haven’t before!”

Sana stared down at her desperate patient.

“I guess there’s persuading you, huh?” The older’s eyes stayed to the ground. “I’ll go back, I guess, to more one night stands that don’t mean as I dream of this angel behind while I sleep with floozies that can’t even compare.”

Sana bit her bottom lip, humming in frustration at the dilemma.

“Look, I’m here to solve your hyperactive libido.” Sana gripped one of Momo’s shoulders. “I’ll just say that dancing shows promise in mitigating it, and that we’ll need you to report in to see how it goes for the next few- ”

“Days?” Momo’s eyes widened. “Weeks?”

How about months?”

Momo gasped at the Japanese before tackling her doctor, screaming in excitement.

“But dancing only,” Sana warned. “If I catch you doing anything else- “

“You got it!”

Momo’s exclamation was interrupted by a loud crunch. The two girls turned their heads to the cousins, who were sharing a bowl of popcorn as they watched the drama unfold. They stopped chewing beneath the Japanese stares, their gazes caught in the other’s headlights.

“Why are you stopping?!” Nayeon waved at the girls. “Keep going! This is better than my dramas!”