Snap

Butterfly

Sana yelped.

She grunted when her back was slammed against the wooden door. The doctor looked down to the genius as the younger leaned herself against her. The fiery redhead had her pinned with her body weight. Sana froze, her heart pounding roars into her ears. Dahyun had leaned into her chest with a stone expression, her face getting closer and closer until they turned upwards to Sana’s face. The older shut her eyes, hoping for the best.

“Wake up.”

The doctor jumped.

She screamed when her chair fell back from her forceful awakening. The blow to her head knocked her vision, causing her to see white for a moment. The pain echoed in her skull, causing her to shake it off with her head. She made it worse, and the doctor whined in pain. She laid her head back with a soft thud, and furrowed her eyebrows.

This isn’t ceramic tiling.

Sana sat up, her eyes finding only white walls. The doctor cautiously stood up, her feet losing balance on the pillowy floor. She staggered forward, her arms flailing to find something solid to hold. Sana ran forward, landing herself against the far wall. Her hands sunk into the walls, her fingers feeling cushions all around. The raven-haired girl let go, pushing herself back onto the floor of the padded cell.

She laid there for a few minutes.

“What am I doing here?” Sana sat up, looking around the room once again. “I’m a doctor here!”

She stood up again and made her away to the clear rectangle on one of the walls. With careful steps she bounced across the room and threw her arms against the door. The cushions did little to make noise, but it gave Sana ample view of the white sleeves of her coat.

They were stained red, all the way down to her fingers.

Sana choked.

She clenched her fists against the cushions, but their flatness made her clench her fists.

“Get me out!” Sana threw her fists against the door. “Someone explain to me what’s going on!”

She turned her head back, and found the wall across from her infested with butterflies. Their wings were shining with different colors, most prominent being oranges and blues. Her eyes darted from wing to wing, some of them folding in and others laying flat. Sana choked, her arms remained still. Her heartbeat slowed, the double kick echoing in her ears endlessly.

“Someone help,” Sana pleaded quietly. “Please, help.”

Her knees gave way and Sana fell down. Her arms slid against the soft walls until they fell to her sides. The large nest of butterflies twitched. The doctor froze. The roaring was getting louder. The doctor’s finger twitched as a lone butterfly flew away from. Its blue wings drifted over, gently gliding over with fluttering wings. It landed gently on Sana’s clean shoulder, its light pricks sticking to her and forcing the young doctor to freeze. She stared at it briefly until she heard the large shuffling of wind.

Her eyes widened as they landed on a deluge of wings.

“Sana!”

She screamed. Her heart froze, the frost crawling through her bloodstream and seizing the walls around them. Sana breathed deeply, the fresh breaths cooling her lungs as the ice in her veins slowly melted into her sweat. The psychiatrist looked up to the fiery redhead with a concerned expression. Sana hesitantly gripped the genius’ hand as she kept breathing.

“Da-chan.” Sana looked to her colleague’s eyes. “Thank God, I’m awake.”

“Um, nice to see you back, Sana,” Dahyun hesitantly replied. “I just wanted to a-ask i-i-if you were… um…”

“Aish.” Sana looked at her computer and saw that her reports were just a few words away from finishing, but she still has too much time before she could leave. “Dahyun, wanna just join me around town while I procrastinate?”

The prodigy froze.

“Or you know what?” Sana stood up quickly and pulled out a chair from one of the other tables. “Have a seat with me while I finish these reports.”

Dahyun cleared before taking her own seat. The older colleague fell into her seat and began typing away, her eyes concentrated on the various pages of digital documents. The younger gulped when Sana placed her glasses, adjusting every few seconds to find the perfect placement of her circular rims. Dahyun pursed her lips, keeping her body together as she stared at Sana. It took half an hour before Sana jumped out of her chair with Dahyun in tow.

“Let’s go!”

Sana pulled Dahyun out, but was stopped at her doorway. The older was jerked back, looking in confusion to the smaller woman. Dahyun stared with hesitation into the older’s eyes. Sana raised an eyebrow, and was about to say something before she was interrupted by a pair of lips.

Sana closed her eyes as Dahyun pulled back.

The darkness gave way to white. Dahyun stood before her at the doorway of the padded cell, a somber look on her face. Sana took a step back, but the younger doctor tightly gripped her bloody wrists. Her eyes stuck to the dried, red stains beneath her colleague’s pristine hands, causing her heart to race. closed, and her body began tremoring. Sana shook her head, trying to pull away, but the tiny hands chained her.

“Sana, I need you to listen.” Dahyun remained emotionless. “I want you to try and remember what happened a few minutes ago.”

“You were there!” Sana kept pulling against Dahyun’s grip. “I mean here! I was working on the reports for Chaeyoung!”

“Think before that,” Dahyun pressed. “All the way back to yesterday if you can.”

“I…” Sana looked around the cell, trying to get some sort of memory triggers. “I remember being meeting with Jihyo, dealing with her Tourette’s, and walking back to my office after we were done.”

“That time,” Dahyun pointed out. “Do you remember anything in between?”

“W-what do you mean?” Sana furrowed her eyebrows, trying to focus on the moment. “I thought I was at the office, working on the- “

A face flashed, spilling chills down her spine. Sana was dumbstruck, her gaze stuck at one point. Dahyun leaned in, trying to get into her friend’s sight range.

“Sana,” Dahyun called. “What do you remember?”

She couldn’t say, seizing up at the scarlet.

“Red.” Sana’s voice was hoarse. “A lot of it…”

The doctor fell to her knees, stuttering over a consonant.

“What is it?” Dahyun crouched in front of her friend, placing her hands on Sana’s shoulders. “What else? What are you trying to say?”

“J…”

“Okay, I got a ‘J’,” Dahyun said, the fellow’s long, raven hair. “What are you trying to say? 'Jisoo'? 'Jimin'? ‘Jeongyeon’?”

Sana stopped moving. Her eyes widened her face stretching into full panic. The girl screamed, her sight turning everything into a shade of scarlet. Dahyun jumped back at the sudden reaction, moving herself back to the door of the cell. She opened it quickly, looking to the doctor stationed by the door.

“I need a tranquilizer!” Dahyun’s eyes landed on the two girls, who fumbled through the box of chemicals. “Quickly!”

Tzuyu found the proper bottle of sedatives and pulled out a syringe. With shaky hands, the rookie opened the cap slowly before shoving a needle into it. She filled the syringe quickly, eye-balling the needed liquid before handing it to the other doctor. Her hand was shaking, but nonetheless Dahyun swiped the needle from the girl and vanished into the cell. Tzuyu grabbed onto Chaeyoung’s coat, trying to still her hands against the blood-curdling screams from the slit of the cell door.

“No, Da-chan!” The boss gripped Tzuyu’s hand, trying to still both of their young hearts. “No! please!”

It took a few minutes before the eerie silence followed.