Tics

Butterfly

“How long has she knelt like that?”

Sana leaned against the other two doctors as they stood in front of the steel door to the white, padded room as they stared through the open slit. They leaned their heads together to get a better view of the fourth doctor within. Her long, fiery hair cascaded down her back as their tips just barely touched her bare feet as she faced away from the door. The girls had a common break time between patients so they spent it checking on their fellow colleague, who was somewhat weird.

“Can’t be too long,” Jeongyeon guessed. “Last I saw, she had a patient a couple hours ago, so she should be in the middle of another- “

“She usually finishes them early,” Chaeyoung said. “And I can’t say she’s slacking off because she always gives the proper reports right after every session with grand improvements.”

“What does she do…?”

“I don’t know, Sana,” the senior doctor said. “But apparently it’s working because I’ve spoken to every one of her clients, and they were all alleviated, if not cured within a few sessions.

“Damn,” Jeongyeon muttered. “If being this good involves being a statue for an hour straight, I’d kill to do it.”

“She was actually an upperclassman in my university.” Chaeyoung recalls.

“Heh, no kidding.” The older doctor muttered. “All geniuses are cut from the same cloth, I guess.”

“It’s weird though.” The boss her jaw. “I didn’t hear anything about her at the time, but apparently she applied a lot of, ‘spiritual training’ in her psychiatric application and won multiple awards for it.”

“Should I just give her Park Jihyo to shut her up?” Sana asked. “Or better yet, give her Hirai Momo so I could literally ‘straighten’ her out.”

“I wish.” Chaeyoung shook her head. “If I give her any case, she would just tell me what to do. And it works every time.”

“Like a Sherlock Holmes, but psychology?” Jeongyeon thought to herself. “No, like the mental health House.”

“Wow,” Sana breathed out. “And I thought you were a smartass, Chaeng-nim.”

But before the senior could do anything the figure in the room stood up silently. She turned around smoothly with the spin of one foot before walking to the door. Her eyes were eerily closed, her expression blank. Sana moved to open the door, but Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung tried to pull her back. It opened outward, making way for the serene doctor. Her lids slowly opened to wide, bulbous eyes.

“You girls could book an appointment with me to learn my secrets,” the little girl said. “But then I would do better to teach a dog psychology.”

“And there she is,” Jeongyeon introduced dryly. “Kim Dahyun.”

“And the crow sings as she does to the cursed.” The doctor turned to Sana and bowed slightly. “Hello, Minatozaki-san.”

“H-hello, Dahyun,” Sana said shyly. “How was your, uh…?”

“My meditation went smoothly, thank you for asking.” Dahyun hesitantly rested her hand on Sana’s shoulder as she nodded to her boss. “Ms. Son.”

“Ms. Kim.” Chaeyoung nodded back. “Do you have any other patients for today?”

“I have a couple hours remaining before I have to deal with a rowdy group of boys.”

“You mean-? “

“Yes, Ms. Son, that group.” Dahyun leaned into Chaeyoung’s ear. “Remember the confidentiality agreement.”

“Yes, yes, Ms. Kim.” Chaeyoung blushed and looked away. “I should know; I gave you that case.”

“Indeed, and it makes me wonder how you became the authority.” Dahyun narrowed her eyes at Jeongyeon. “I’m just surprised no one knows about you yet.”

“Know what?” The short-haired woman snarled at the redhead.

“Nothing.” Dahyun gave Sana a pat before walking off. “I’m sure you all have other matters to attend to.”

“Dammit!” Chaeyoung looked to the watch on her wrist. “I got a patient on the other wing in 5 minutes. Gotta go!”

Sana and Jeongyeon stared at the retreating form of the tiny doctor.

“I still have an hour until my next appointment,” Sana remembered as she looked to the clock on the wall. “Wanna chill at the cafeteria?”

“Sure,” Jeongyeon said as she led the way. “Think we’re gonna find that jerk, Dahyun?”

“I don’t think so,” Sana thought. “I don’t think she eats cafeteria food.”

“Hey girl, what’s up?!” The doctors jumped when their shoulders were grabbed roughly. “What an absolutely terrible day this has been!”

“Oh, hey Jihyo,” Sana said, crestfallen. “Isn’t your appointment in another hour?”

“Oh yeah, I know but I wanted to get here so I didn’t have to bother my parents because they’re totally disappointed in me, and I wanted to give you guys a cabbage but the river store was closed and I splayed here instead and chose that you jerks were the best carrots to hang around with, and is this bothering kale guys?”

Sana and Jeongyeon gulped their anger as they kept their heads down.

“I guess you don’t mind if you join us to the cafeteria?” Sana smiled sheepishly at the patient. “We were just going to grab a bite.”

The raven-haired woman elbowed her colleague before she could complain.

“Oh, absotively posilutely!” Jihyo bounced at the offer. “And that wasn’t the Tourette’s talking.”

“Hey, that’s kinda cool!” Sana looked to her patient with a grin. “And the fact that you’re not smirking randomly while you’re doing it shows impressive improvement.”

Jeongyeon humphed.

“Hey, nice wagon,” Jihyo said as she poked at Jeongyeon’s butterfly pin. “Did you get that at a zoo?”

“I’m assuming that’s the actual question.” Jeongyeon raised an eyebrow. “If so, no I got it as a birthday present from my sister.”

“Oh.” Jihyo turned to see as she let go of the two doctors. “Sana, where’d you get your butterfly? It sits perfectly on your shoulder.”

“What butterfly?” Sana looked around her shoulders frantically. “Do you actually mean that?”

“Yeah, there was a clap.” Jihyo pointed to Sana’s shoulder before waving the finger away. “But then it sly there.”

“Uh huh.” Sana was suspicious. “Did you take any hallucinogenic on the way here?”

“I God to swear I’m lying not.” Jihyo raised her hands in defense. “There really was fun on your tumbler.”

“Jeongyeon, did you see anything?” The short-haired girl had a blank stare at Sana that was broken by the question. “Or is there-?”

“There’s nothing, Sana. Here.” Jeongyeon rubbed Sana’s shoulders to prove her point, even going so far as to rub her back. “See? No butterfly.”

“Huh.” the psychiatrist began to wonder. “Strange.”

“Uh, this isn’t going into my session, is it?” Jihyo asked. “Because I’d rather not be here for long.”

“No, I’ll wave it off for now,” Sana reassured. “It is interesting, but for a later time.”

Sana laughed, missing the dark stare Jeongyeon gave to the younger's shoulder.